Sharp Aquos LC60E79U -- Setting Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 110 Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about 20 feet from the TV. Ya I am not sure what to do next as I am not seeing a major improvement. Will they take it back without the box? It is too bad as it is a nice TV but the motion issue is just too much to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Best Buy took my Samsung Plasma back with no box, no questions asked.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #93 of 110 Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Awesome thread, thanks for all the information guys. Using Jaxk's settings and they are marvelous. The in-TV speakers are pretty much a total joke but that is acceptable since I got a Sony HT-TC150 Soundbar and it sounds outstanding. My Roku box & Xbox are hooked up through HDMI and I am rolling
post #94 of 110 Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Agreed, just used the TV speakers for the Wii, and they are pretty bad...I'm going to have to rig up the Wii to my audio system.
post #95 of 110 Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 AM

I'm using the Sony HT-CT150 soundbar with my Sharp and Wii also and like it. I thought about getting a WiiHDMI adapter just so I could route my Wii through the sound bar but in the end I didn't. I did have to get some extra audio cables though due to the fact that the component/audio cable for the Wii is one unit. The Wii cable goes to to the TV then the RCA cables go from there back to the sound bar and then an HDMI cables goes from the soundbar to the TV.

Not as simple as I'd like but the logitech harmony makes it easy so who cares.

On A side note my kids are getting older ( going on 9 and 7 now ) and the PS3 is starting to get a lot more love. If the new Wii-U comes out with HDMI and backwards compatibility I'll probably get it. But if it seems that my kids are getting to old for Wii games I'll just wait for whenever the next PS/XBOX console comes out.
post #96 of 110 Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Anybody else seeing excessive noise in the image? Turning on the noise reduction helps although that's usually a setting I leave off.
post #97 of 110 Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 PM

Okay, not sure if I'm doing this post right (Please correct me if i'm wrong). I a newbie!
Just bought this tv. Set it up and I am running a satellite box not HD. I used the coax cable to connect it to the tv. Everything works fine. But the only type of sound i get is mono. It will not allow me to change it to stereo. Yet my old tv did. Do I need to do another type of connection?
post #98 of 110 Old 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM

You have coax going to the TV? Are you running the TV speakers or using a receiver or soundbar (i.e. external speaqkers)? Are you using the optical out on the TV or the analog (red/white) outputs to external speakers/receiver?
post #99 of 110 Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Picked one of these up over the weekend. Looks great from 10ft back and sitting. But when closer really grainy. I have to play with the settings.
post #100 of 110 Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Picked one of these up over the weekend. Looks great from 10ft back and sitting. But when closer really grainy. I have to play with the settings.

A screen this size is not made to be watched closer than 10ft, you would expect it to get grainy if your up close. It will also bug your neck having to pan you head to see everything. :-p There are only so many pixels that the original tv/dvd/bluray signal outputs, and those have to be spread across the entire screen area...

60" nominal viewing distance is probably around 14/15ft depending on what formula/site you read..

For settings I would check out Elfy's settings in the old LC60E78U thread, they tend to be a great starting point. It worked great on my 78U.
post #101 of 110 Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tips. Just wanted to make sure everyone had a great view for the Super Bowl.
post #102 of 110 Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Hello everyone, somewhat pleased with this set. I'm coming from a Hitachi 42" Plasma that had GREAT colors and viewing angle. This 60" Sharp appears to have washed out colors at a very minimal viewing angle compared to the Plasma. The color disappears at somewhere around 30 degrees. I downloaded the GetGray Calibration Disk that everyone on AVS forums talks about ($25 at www.calibrate.tv) I'm also using Blue THX glasses to help me with the Color and Tint. I've been screwing with it all day trying to get the best picture. I noticed that this TV does not display the Brightness black bar Test Pattern very well so I'm left to sort of guess on this. If I try to get the black bar test pattern to show, the Brightness ends up waaaay too bright. Anyway, here are my settings:

AV Mode (button on remote)
- User Input
OPC- Off
Backlight- STD
Contrast- +31
Brightness- +5
Color: 0
Tint: +5
Sharpness: 0

Advanced Menu-

These settings below I used the GetGray Calibration Disk and glasses to Adjust Color/Saturation and Tint/Hue. Since I only had blue glasses, there wasn't anything I could do with Red and Green at the Moment.

C.M.S - Hue
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [-2]
B [-7]
M [-1]

C.M.S -Saturation
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [+2]
B [-5]
M [-3]

C.M.S - Value
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [-2]
B [+7]
M [-3]

Color Temp: Middle
Fine Motion Enhanced: Off
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: 0
Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
Digtal Noise Reduction: Off
post #103 of 110 Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 PM

billburns:

Out of curiosity, were you using the Hitachi 42HDS69?
That's the set I've had for 4 years now, and I've always loved the picture. It had some known flickering issues in dark scenes, but other than that it has been an awesome TV.
I'm thinking of getting the Sharp Aquos LC60E79u this week at Best Buy. It's priced right for my budget, and it looked pretty good in the store.
I'm worried it's going to be a downgrade from my current picture on the Hitachi.
What are your thoughts?
post #104 of 110 Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 PM

I recently purchased one of these TV's and I love it. I only have one gripe. I use a Pronto TSU7000 and it would be nice to have discrete input commands for the tv instead of toggling through the inputs. Yes, I do have the input skip feature activated. It is still a hassle to toggle between sources. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone,
MM
post #105 of 110 Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkyard View Post

I recently purchased one of these TV's and I love it. I only have one gripe. I use a Pronto TSU7000 and it would be nice to have discrete input commands for the tv instead of toggling through the inputs.

The TV definitely understands discrete input commands. My Logitech Harmony remote has the codes for the discrete input commands as well as "input next".

I'm not sure what I could do to help you though. Consider getting a low-end Harmony remote (the Harmony 200 is only ~$20) and use that to get the right IR commands to program the Pronto.
post #106 of 110 Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
My Sharp really struggles on certain channels with fast action sports. It's not much of an issue on the ESPN HD channels, but trying to watch the NCAA tournament on CBS is nerve racking. What I discovered is that if I back the resolution on my DirecTV box down to 720, the glitchiness completely disappears. I have an old 50" 1080i Vizio in my bedroom. It has no trouble with higher resolutions from the DirecTV box. It's a plasma.

Someone mentioned that turning off Film mode might reduce jutter. I will experiment with it. I don't notice the jutter at all on movies, just fast action sports, and it's much worse on certain channels.

Update: Turning off film mode made little difference. I basically can't watch basketball on certain channels at 1080P. I have to dial it down to 720. On other channels, most notably ESPN, the problem is much less noticeable.

Update: 4/3/12...Nickman started this thread when I asked about settings for this set. I only paid $799 for it at Bestbuy. I got it at Black Friday prices by waking up early Thanksgiving morning and buying it online. I really regret purchasing it even though it may be a good deal if you watch only movies. The fact is...it can't handle fast action sports. The motion judder will give you a seizure. I'm hoping I can get something close to what I paid for it. I then plan to buy last year's Panasonic 55" ST30 plasma on sale. BestBuy has it for $999, but with the UT50 and ST50's hitting the market, I think that price will come down at least a 100 more bucks.
post #107 of 110 Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billburns View Post

Hello everyone, somewhat pleased with this set. I'm coming from a Hitachi 42" Plasma that had GREAT colors and viewing angle. This 60" Sharp appears to have washed out colors at a very minimal viewing angle compared to the Plasma. The color disappears at somewhere around 30 degrees. I downloaded the GetGray Calibration Disk that everyone on AVS forums talks about ($25 at www.calibrate.tv) I'm also using Blue THX glasses to help me with the Color and Tint. I've been screwing with it all day trying to get the best picture. I noticed that this TV does not display the Brightness black bar Test Pattern very well so I'm left to sort of guess on this. If I try to get the black bar test pattern to show, the Brightness ends up waaaay too bright. Anyway, here are my settings:

AV Mode (button on remote)
- User Input
OPC- Off
Backlight- STD
Contrast- +31
Brightness- +5
Color: 0
Tint: +5
Sharpness: 0

Advanced Menu-

These settings below I used the GetGray Calibration Disk and glasses to Adjust Color/Saturation and Tint/Hue. Since I only had blue glasses, there wasn't anything I could do with Red and Green at the Moment.

C.M.S - Hue
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [-2]
B [-7]
M [-1]

C.M.S -Saturation
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [+2]
B [-5]
M [-3]

C.M.S - Value
R [0]
Y [0]
G [0]
C [-2]
B [+7]
M [-3]

Color Temp: Middle
Fine Motion Enhanced: Off
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: 0
Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
Digtal Noise Reduction: Off

I don't have an option to select the Black Level. It's grayed out. I tried on both the Standard tab and the User tab. I adjusted everything else as you suggested. Looks good.

I sold my Sharp. The motion jutter was too much. I have ordered a Panasonic plasma. We'll see if it's any better.
post #108 of 110 Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 13
Anyone controlling their TV via RS-232?
post #109 of 110 Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Not entirely related, but you guys seem to know a lot about these TV's. I have an Aquos42 and last night the black or dark colors started getting blotchy, pixelated and dark purple. I tried adjusting the birghtness/contrast/ etc from the menu and I thought that I had fixed it, but after it is on for about 15 minutes or so the purple starts coming back. After about a half hour it is horrible - the image is practically shot. If turned off for about an hour, it goes back to starting out normal. After swapping out things through the process of elimination, it's not the cables, not the box, it's the TV. I can't seem to find anything quite like this anywhere else, so I submit to your expertise. Any thoughts, theories?
post #110 of 110 Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Ordered from BestBuy 11-21-11 and it died today 06-01-13. Pretty short lifespan for a TV that doesn't get used a lot.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page