post #301 of 360 Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Did you do the firmware update? I did it last night. What a pain. What's the point of wifi if I have to download it to USB anyway. And I had to reset everything because Netflix app stopped working post-update.

Anyway, it may just be me but the colors appears to have changed after the firmware update. May be it's all in my mind but the picture now has a slight yellow-ish cast to it. Did you notice any shift in colors?

I have not done the firmware update as of yet. I always wait a little bit to see if any new bugs/anomalies are introduced and after the last update possibly altering game mode I figured it was best to wait and see what is reported. Sometimes with firmware it's one step forward two steps back so I am not one to jump on the latest 'update' assuming if it is new it must be better. Software I'll try all day long but firmware updates scare me and I take the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach.

At some point I'll 'update' and see what has changed, possibly making all of my previous calibrations obsolete... UGH!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 360 Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Sharp site has this description for the firmware update:
"This Firmware Update removes the streaming apps Blockbuster, Alphaline and Napster due to those streaming services no longer being available. This update includes all previous fixes and improvements."

Wonder if they changed anything else.
post #303 of 360 Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I have not done the firmware update as of yet. I always wait a little bit to see if any new bugs/anomalies are introduced and after the last update possibly altering game mode I figured it was best to wait and see what is reported. Sometimes with firmware it's one step forward two steps back so I am not one to jump on the latest 'update' assuming if it is new it must be better. Software I'll try all day long but firmware updates scare me and I take the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach.

At some point I'll 'update' and see what has changed, possibly making all of my previous calibrations obsolete... UGH!

Jason

I think I'll pass on updating it. Mine is working just fine why risk screwing it up, I'd be willing to bet once you update it's a one way trip. My grandfather had a very apt saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Bill
post #304 of 360 Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM

Liked: 10
I agree, I turned auto update off so the set would stop prompting me every time we powered it on. DaGamePimp's original movie settings look great on my set, and I certainly don't want anything to change!
post #305 of 360 Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I did a 50 ftL CAL in Game mode, hopefully it will work out for some that might like it for bright rooms.

Actually I did one yesterday and when I went to write down the settings I dropped the remote and upon picking it up I reset all my Value settings before I had written them down (DOH!), so I went through the process again.

I'll post them up later on Sunday, need to get some sleep now.

* Did some more in-depth testing and discovered some issues with the 50 ftL CAL so not releasing it as of yet, need more fine tuning/tweaking.

Jason
post #306 of 360 Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

50 ftL target in GAME mode... These are for a BRIGHT room.

6507K @ 70 IRE / D65 - Blue now appears to be the main offender in Game mode, cannot correct other than + SAT which creates other issues. Blue is @ dE 6 while all other colors are dE 2 or less (some are dE .0xx).

These were done with an i1Pro corrected i1D3 using CalMan 4.6.1

OPC = OFF
BACKLIGHT = +6
CONTRAST = +28
BRIGHTNESS = +1
COLOR = 0
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0 (+1 is ok but higher = much more ringing/ee)

Active Contrast = OFF ( if ON leave Gamma @ -2 for an average 2.2 )
Gamma = -2 ( = 1.93 without active contrast )

Color Temp = LOW
LO
R 0
G +1
B -15

HI
R -3
G +2
B -12

- HUE ------ SAT ------ VAL
R - 0 -------- 0 -------- -2
Y +8 ------ -12 -------- +5
G - 0 ------ -10 -------- +8
C +6 -------- 0 -------- -9
B - 0 -------- 0 ------- +30
M +6 ------ -16 -------- -1

* If skin tones appear too red you can shift Red HUE positive toward Yellow until they look more natural.

Best of luck, hopefully these work for some of you.

Jason
post #307 of 360 Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

50 ftL target in GAME mode... These are for a BRIGHT room.

is there a reason why you used game mode to calibrate for a bright room? Does the display's brightness vary between picture modes or is it all achieved the same through the picture settings?
post #308 of 360 Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I did a 50 ftL CAL in Game mode assuming it could be of more benefit to more users since most will probably not want a 50 ftL movie mode CAL. I also did it for those wanting to use Game mode for broadcast tv / sports viewing (to help eliminate lag/motion issues that are seen more often in other modes).

Each mode could be calibrated to 50 ftL but each mode may not achieve 50 ftL by using the same basic (Backlight/Contrast) settings.

Jason
post #309 of 360 Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

hi, i'm a new owner of the LC-60LE632U and I just need some peace of mind whether my tv is defective or not.

Does anyone here have an issue with the tv's backlight inconsistency when in dark scene of a movie or background? Mine has this scattered white light shadows (clouding i think..) in the upper and lower right of the tv about 5" away from the bezel.. you will notice this when the tv displays a black background like screen credits...

This is already my second set the first 1 was worst. I'm just comparing it to my 46" Samsung LED which I don't see this issue at all.

Thanks in advance.
post #310 of 360 Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

michibahn,

Try turning off OPC if it is on and lowering your backlight setting to make the clouding less obvious during mostly full field black scenes (try -1 to -3). Also be sure your brightness is set properly, should be a +1 on these sets.

Almost every large edge-lit LED display will have some degree of clouding, this is normal for the tech but if yours is such that lowering the backlight and turning off OPC does not help then you may have another exchange.

Jason
post #311 of 360 Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM

on my set cloudiness greatly diminished in a couple of weeks and disappeared in 4-6 weeks. This could be a result of transportation and handling stress.
post #312 of 360 Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 AM

Hi DaGamePimp, I actually tried your latest movie settings and there is still some clouding on the screen. Compared to the 1st time that I turned on the tv, it toned down the cloudiness after applying your setting and doing some screen wipe thing.. but still it is not comparable to my 46" Samsung LED which is totally black even on highest backlight setting...

Hi gordon7, I hope I'll get the same result after those time frame.. but isn't it the packaging should be protected and not stressed during transport?

Thanks guys!
post #313 of 360 Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM

you never know how TV was stored and transported before it got to your home. It is recommended that it would always remain in the vertical position during transportation and storage but there is no way to tell if it wasn't stored or transported horizontally. It is also tricky to get it out of the box without applying unequal pressure to the sides. Give it a week or two and see if there is any improvement. I also believe it is better to mount it then keeping it on a stand. There are some stands that allow you to mount TV on them, I bought stand like that at Costco.
post #314 of 360 Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

you never know how TV was stored and transported before it got to your home. It is recommended that it would always remain in the vertical position during transportation and storage but there is no way to tell if it wasn't stored or transported horizontally. It is also tricky to get it out of the box without applying unequal pressure to the sides. Give it a week or two and see if there is any improvement. I also believe it is better to mount it then keeping it on a stand. There are some stands that allow you to mount TV on them, I bought stand like that at Costco.

thanks for your reply.. I guess you're right about on how the tv was stored.. We'll really never know what happened Anyway, i had the tv wall mounted already but prior to wall mounting it, I used the factory stand the came with it and still I noticed the clouding issue.

I'll give it a few more weeks and see if it will improve. Also does loosening the back screws really helps in this kind of issue? Any experience on that?

Thanks again!
post #315 of 360 Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michibahn View Post

Also does loosening the back screws really helps in this kind of issue? Any experience on that?
Thanks again!

As long as your mount is not crooked it shouldn't matter. You can loosen screws a little if you want.
post #316 of 360 Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

When I bought mine I transported it home laying down. I didn't have any choice, it was the only way it would fit in the back of my Expedition. I transported it about 35 miles from the store to my house. I haven't have any clouding or flash lighting since day one. I had of course the horrible SOE. I have the 60" 640 model, so far I love it.

Bill
post #317 of 360 Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have slight clouding on my 632 that seems to change a little each time the screen is cleaned but it has never vanished (bought Jan/2012) and really only visible on full field black in a dark room.

The 640's in general do appear to have less clouding & flash-lighting than the 632's (at least of the dozen or so units that I have seen in stores). It seems Sharp figured out ways to improve upon both anomalies.

Jason
post #318 of 360 Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I like vividness that active contrast adds to the picture for video games, but I don't like how the brightness fluctuates making some shadows too dark for no reason. What do I need to bump up to recreate that pop in picture im looking for the game picture mode. If I take some of the posted calibrations and just bump each setting by 5, will that create that same look?
post #319 of 360 Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No that will not work, a somewhat similar Gamma curve to what Active Contrast uses could be created in Color Temp (grayscale) but it would require the proper gear and may even require using the service menu.

Jason
post #320 of 360 Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM

I also had to contact sharp about my screen. It was always very uneven and had dark spots. Called sharp and sent them pictures. They offered to replace it with a referb 632. I told them that i paid for a new set i want a new set returned to me so i have to call them back tomorrow and see what comes of it.
post #321 of 360 Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_palmer22 View Post

I also had to contact sharp about my screen. It was always very uneven and had dark spots. Called sharp and sent them pictures. They offered to replace it with a referb 632. I told them that i paid for a new set i want a new set returned to me so i have to call them back tomorrow and see what comes of it.

What size is your 632 ?
When did you buy it ?

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #322 of 360 Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Was purchased mid last year. Its a LC-60LE632U. After I rejected the offer for a referb 632 they offered to send me a brand new LC-60LE640U which i may take due to the fact the the quattron is trash. what do you guys think? Here's a picture of my current set. Its been like this the whole time I've had it. I must say sharps customer service as been unbelievable. They are great.
post #323 of 360 Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was purchased mid last year. Its a LC-60LE632U. After I rejected the offer for a referb 632 they offered to send me a brand new LC-60LE640U which i may take due to the fact the the quattron is trash. what do you guys think? Here's a picture of my current set. Its been like this the whole time I've had it. I must say sharps customer service as been unbelievable. They are great.

Good on you to reject their offer, much better second offer from them. Honestly my set sorta looks like this, not really any dark spots like yours but definitely uneven - I don't notice it unless it's a commercial that's using a white screen with writing on it - then the white definitely looks uneven. I wonder if that's simply what you get when buying a moderately priced edge-lit LED.

What do you mean by quattron being trash?? Neither the 632 nor the 640 has quattron according to Sharp's website.

I'll let others chime in on what they think you should do, but if Sharp is offering you a 640 for your 632, I personally would take it.

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #324 of 360 Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 AM

When i say quattron is trash, i just mean that one of the guys on here had the same issue, got sharp to replace it and they offered him one of the 120hz quattron, sets. It was determined that it was just a shell game and the 4th pixel doesn't improve much of anything and actually reduces black levels from the 632. Lesson of the day, never ever accept anyones first offer. Basic rule of negotiations.
post #325 of 360 Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I have the 640 I bought it at Walmart and I am very happy with the picture quality. So I would say take their offer. My screen isn't perfect but it's no wheres near as bad as yours. I'm using the calibrations settings DaGamePimp posted for Game mode 35FTL. and it works very well.

Good Luck,

Bill
post #326 of 360 Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lesson of the day, never ever accept anyones first offer. Basic rule of negotiations.

I'll remember that one for sure !

post #327 of 360 Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From what I have seen so far (based upon in store units) the 640's are improved from the 632's so I would not be concerned about accepting a 640 as a replacement.

Jason
post #328 of 360 Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Deal is done should be here some time this week. I'll report back as soon as i get a chance!
post #329 of 360 Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 PM

I just bought the 640 yesterday, & was wondering if DaGame's settings will work well with this set. Are these basically the same sets?

Looking for some settings that work for gaming and watching TV

Thanks Guys
post #330 of 360 Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some say they work for the 640 but they are not the same sets, the 640's come better calibrated out of the box so odds are that their factory presets are different.

Of course you lose nothing by trying them other than the time it takes to enter the settings.

Jason
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page