AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp 60" AQUOS LC-60LE632U Owners Thread

103K views 365 replies 59 participants last post by  DirkBelig 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, new owner of:

Sharp LC-60LE632U right before Thanksgiving... Wooo Woo

Used some of the setting here to calibrate. WOW... Awesome picture!

By the way PS3- BF3 has bad lag in this set.. even with game mode on, its better in game mode but not very smooth. I had to tweak Game mode further to get it to a level where I don't personally notice lag too much... I did experiment with PS3 settings, I did find that if you set the PS3 to output in 720p and uncheck 1080p/i It plays very smooth
... Looks pretty good still even at 720p.. I think I can't tell THE LOWER RESO diff..... but maybe I was just so tired from tweaking set that my eyes fooled me but def.. the lag is pretty much gone.

was going to get the sharp 60" 79U but I went from a 47 LG (freaking awesome CCFL LCD picture and best lag free gaming!) and decided awe man just get an LED and try something diff.

I do need help on my surround sound setup

I have a Sony STR-3000 ES A/V hooked up to Polk Speakers systems: CSi5 center channel + 2 floor standing speakers + 10" sub woofer + 2 surround speakers

Have new comcast HD digital box with optical and hdmi out, sony Blu-ray S570, PS3 slim 160gig

How would you guys hook all this up....?

Note: I hooked up TV via HDMI to Comcast HD box and then that to my Sony receiver via optical. The Sound has weird echo effect.... weird.. Although If I mute the TV it removes the echo.

Am I doing something wrong????

By the way I built a cool entertainment center.. looks very modern, minimalism... and looks awesome with my A/V gear... will post pics later..

and I will post my finding to share with you guys

Any ways I hope you guys enjoy your television, I def. will!

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig /forum/post/21455489

Why Game mode? Doesn't that turn OFF most post-processing and thus degrade the image? Also, why switch the Blu-ray player from 24 Hz to 60 Hz since that eliminates the 1:1 frame rate match of film and thus returns us to the bad old days of 3:2 pulldown and judder? Your advice seems to be, "Turn off all the advancements in video technology and make this modern HDTV behave like an old analog set."

The so-called advancements you speak of are little more than marketing for most of todays hdtv's, before you respond with a borderline offensive post why not simply try it for yourself and see (no harm there). Now if you like all the 'advancements' (SOE, fake 120Hz) then by all means use them but I can assure you that what you will be watching is not what most here at AVS strive for. Game mode is simply smoother with less lag, 24 Hz on this set actually creates more judder than 60 Hz (directly compare and you'll see). Remember this is not a high end set and as such I am afraid to say most of its bells-n-whistles should be disabled for the best possible image.

If you are simply not a video purist then that is certainly your right but there is no need to chastise those of us that are (and there are many here at AVS).

Jason

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21456429

i have read the amazon reviews, however i think most of them are from joe 6 packs and while it does get good reviews i dont rely heavily on them. i worry about clouding and light bleed and flashlighting mostly and that demographic wouldnt know clouding if they saw it and wouldnt care anyway.

i am a plasma guy but im on my 4th plasma in 3 months because all of the manufactures are having issues with plasmas this year that are truly defects.

i am prolly gonna get the 60 632 and try it out, amazon has been great with me so far but if i try to return another display i dont what they will do.

It's a solid set with good BL, but as with most every edge lit LED LCD it has its cons. Expect some clouding & flashlighting but just how much will vary set to set. I also own plasma's, ccfl LCD's, DLP and even some of those old school analog displays for comparison. I own a higher end 2010 3D plasma and it too has its cons but the 60LE632 can hold its own and bests it on some aspects. Obviously there is no 'perfect set' and if there were we would all own it and be done.

Jason

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21456554

what is the difference between the 632 and 6300?

The 6300 appears to use a different (less capable) engine and does not offer all the same calibration controls (especially regarding color).

Jason

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig /forum/post/21456382

The black levels look good. After setting it up, I came home to my 4-year-old 42" Philips LCD and looked at the grayish matte bars and got sad and that's a decent-looking set.

I have some faint clouds which are only visible during credits with white text on black or when it's switching inputs before the signal comes through. On extremely dark material, like the last Harry Potter movie, their was some minor clouding visible, but the bars remained solid black and there is no flashlighting. My girlfriend thinks I'm nitpicking and for 99% of the time, the clouds aren't visible. Compared to my old set, it's the least of its problems and I'm not going to have a cow over it.

Thanks for the info.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21456429

i have read the amazon reviews, however i think most of them are from joe 6 packs and while it does get good reviews i dont rely heavily on them. i worry about clouding and light bleed and flashlighting mostly and that demographic wouldnt know clouding if they saw it and wouldnt care anyway.

i am a plasma guy but im on my 4th plasma in 3 months because all of the manufactures are having issues with plasmas this year that are truly defects.

i am prolly gonna get the 60 632 and try it out, amazon has been great with me so far but if i try to return another display i dont what they will do.

These are the same issues that I am concerned about. I will be keeping an eye out to see if and when you try this set. Amazon is not picking up my ST30 until Wednesday, and I don't know how long it will take to credit my account so you will most likely get yours before me. I am still torn on trying this set, the cheaper 79U or getting the top LG Plasma the PZ950. I just tried Uncharted 3 on my PZ450 and being that I played most of the game on the ST30, I don't think I am going to be able to accept these black levels.....

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun /forum/post/21456693

These are the same issues that I am concerned about. I will be keeping an eye out to see if and when you try this set. Amazon is not picking up my ST30 until Wednesday, and I don't know how long it will take to credit my account so you will most likely get yours before me. I am still torn on trying this set, the cheaper 79U or getting the top LG Plasma the PZ950. I just tried Uncharted 3 on my PZ450 and being that I played most of the game on the ST30, I don't think I am going to be able to accept these black levels.....

the pz 950 also has the color flicker and i dont think the blacks are that much better than the 450? i also am worried about the blacks on the 632, if they are just a tad better than the 450 i will be ok with that.

i will be making my final decision on tuesday so i might not get it before you. you should ask for a advanced refund from amazon, they will give it to you if you call. what it means is that they will credit you when the returned tv gets loaded on the delivery truck, the next day you should see a credit to your account.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21456823

the pz 950 also has the color flicker and i dont think the blacks are that much better than the 450? i also am worried about the blacks on the 632, if they are just a tad better than the 450 i will be ok with that.

i will be making my final decision on tuesday so i might not get it before you. you should ask for a advanced refund from amazon, they will give it to you if you call. what it means is that they will credit you when the returned tv gets loaded on the delivery truck, the next day you should see a credit to your account.

Hmm, I might have to try that with Amazon. Yeah, I just read over in the LG tweaks thread that someone adjusted the pots on the 750 and is not impressed with the MLL, so I don't think the 950 will be much better.....
I agree, if I can get slightly better blacks than the 450 and minimal clouding I am really leaning toward LCD again, won't have to worry about IR, will be brighter for daytime and might even save a little on the electric bill.....I really wish someone had a MLL measurement for this set!

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun /forum/post/21456865

Hmm, I might have to try that with Amazon. Yeah, I just read over in the LG tweaks thread that someone adjusted the pots on the 750 and is not impressed with the MLL, so I don't think the 950 will be much better.....
I agree, if I can get slightly better blacks than the 450 and minimal clouding I am really leaning toward LCD again, won't have to worry about IR, will be brighter for daytime and might even save a little on the electric bill.....I really wish someone had a MLL measurement for this set!

me too, wish i knew what this set MLL was.

another thing i have not read about is shadow detail on this set, i value shadow detail and i know a lot of LCD's turn shadow detail into a black blob mess....

in the end i will prolly get this sit, hope it works out well for me as this will be #6 for me in the last 3 months.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21456914

me too, wish i knew what this set MLL was.

another thing i have not read about is shadow detail on this set, i value shadow detail and i know a lot of LCD's turn shadow detail into a black blob mess....

in the end i will prolly get this sit, hope it works out well for me as this will be #6 for me in the last 3 months.

I know that is crazy. Hopefully the 632 will be your last set. It just goes to show how the quality of sets has really gone down hill the last couple of years in my opinion. I did not expect the issues that I had from Panasonic........very disappointed. My Sony 52 inch Z5100 has pretty good MLL for a 3 year old set, but yes it does lose detail in dark areas. I hate to say it, but its one trade off for another.....and the ST30 is going to be hard to match in that respect, the shadow detail blew me away.

#37 ·
A properly calibrated 632 should impress both of you regarding BL and shadow detail (hopefully you get units with little clouding/flash-lighting).

Jason

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun /forum/post/21457615

Well thats good news, the more I keep researching the more I want to give this set a shot!

im 90% sure that i am going to get this set. im excited, anxious and worried at the same time. if i get one that doesnt have bad clouding, flashlighting i think i will like it.

besides the pink tint issue i have on the panny plasma, i have not been totally satisfied with the total brightness of it, it is rather dim even in my dark room, bright sunny days in movies look overcast.

wont be able to order it for about a week, wish me luck!

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21458077

im 90% sure that i am going to get this set. im excited, anxious and worried at the same time. if i get one that doesnt have bad clouding, flashlighting i think i will like it.

besides the pink tint issue i have on the panny plasma, i have not been totally satisfied with the total brightness of it, it is rather dim even in my dark room, bright sunny days in movies look overcast.

wont be able to order it for about a week, wish me luck!

I loved the black level of the Panny and thought the overall picture was great, however, I ended up dealing with less accurate color because I had to use MID panel brightness, it was just too dim for daytime viewing, even with the blinds closed. Although, I did find that it calibrated very well using HDMI graphics. But the pink/green tint, IR and buzzing on a black screen was too much for me. Now I am watching my PV450 again and I really see the FBR that you were talking about while watching 24p material. And if the FBR is present on the PZ950 as well......that set is out too.

So, I think that I am going for this set for sure, once I get my Amazon return squared away. Hopefully I don't get bad clouding either, that is the main concern for me other than black level.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21456823

Thanks again for the heads up regarding Amazon Mark. I called this morning, and all I need to do is call back once the return is confirmed on the truck and I will get the refund credited. Really looking forward to giving this 632 a shot, hopefully it works out!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun /forum/post/21459983

Thanks again for the heads up regarding Amazon Mark. I called this morning, and all I need to do is call back once the return is confirmed on the truck and I will get the refund credited. Really looking forward to giving this 632 a shot, hopefully it works out!

no problem!

funny thing is i didnt see the color flicker on 24p blu ray, but on dvd and dish it was awful. it didnt happen all the time but i could always count on it with football.

ive been doing some searching and the LG's MLL was between .02-.04., the sharps that i find reviews on that are similar are around .01, that aint too bad, but nowhere close the the panny but better than the LG. also i noticed that all the sharp 60" sets are edge lit and all of them get good reviews on amazon, but cnet has trashed a couple of the sharps, dont remember which ones but one was a high end 70".

i need to call amazons large items dept today, i dont want to wait until they call me tuesday, but i hate doing that because i will get someone different and have to explain everything all over again.

im excited about this 632, but after all ive been thru with getting something im happy with, itll be my luck ill get a bad one.. lol...

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21460148

no problem!

funny thing is i didnt see the color flicker on 24p blu ray, but on dvd and dish it was awful. it didnt happen all the time but i could always count on it with football.

ive been doing some searching and the LG's MLL was between .02-.04., the sharps that i find reviews on that are similar are around .01, that aint too bad, but nowhere close the the panny but better than the LG. also i noticed that all the sharp 60" sets are edge lit and all of them get good reviews on amazon, but cnet has trashed a couple of the sharps, dont remember which ones but one was a high end 70".

i need to call amazons large items dept today, i dont want to wait until they call me tuesday, but i hate doing that because i will get someone different and have to explain everything all over again.

im excited about this 632, but after all ive been thru with getting something im happy with, itll be my luck ill get a bad one.. lol...

Hmmm, interesting on the MLL ratings. Where did you happen to find the numbers on the Sharp? Only guessing, but after the pots tweak I would think that my LG is closer to .009, but that would be a slim margin compared to the Sharp with the numbers you found.

It was horrible watching X Men last night, the brightness fluctuations never seemed to stop!

Hopefully you get this all worked out soon!

Thanks again,

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun /forum/post/21460278

Hmmm, interesting on the MLL ratings. Where did you happen to find the numbers on the Sharp? Only guessing, but after the pots tweak I would think that my LG is closer to .009, but that would be a slim margin compared to the Sharp with the numbers you found.

It was horrible watching X Men last night, the brightness fluctuations never seemed to stop!

Hopefully you get this all worked out soon!

Thanks again,

well it is official i called amazon and they are picking up the ST, as soon as i get a refund i will put the order in for the 632. i am looking forward to it having more POP and if the black levels are a little better than the LG i am good with that, oh also worried about shadow detail but chads reviews seem positive, altho not for this exact size and/or model, it seems sharp as its ****e together and is a big find that most seem to shun...

i found the MLL for the sharps at cnet and chadB's reviews, chads reviews were for the 80 632 and the 70 732 or 735 something like that. the reason i put a little faith into the numbers is because they are all .01 for all of them or a little better. just a note the pots tweak created other problems for me, ex. i put up a gray slide and the uniformity was terrible.

i love the blacks on the ST, ive never seen black like that, so inky, so i hope it hasnt jaded me. but now i just look for pink, which isnt really that bad and maybe im being to picky, but be damned i want something that i have piece of mind with.

#46 ·
mark62,

I tested 24 & 60 hz refresh rates via my PC, Sony S580, LG590 & PS3 and 60 hz was the least offensive regarding judder no matter the Motion setting in use (tested high, low & off, I now leave it off). Horizontal and Vertical pans were a mess with 24 Hz enabled (compared to 60 Hz).

Jason

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21460415

well it is official i called amazon and they are picking up the ST, as soon as i get a refund i will put the order in for the 632. i am looking forward to it having more POP and if the black levels are a little better than the LG i am good with that, oh also worried about shadow detail but chads reviews seem positive, altho not for this exact size and/or model, it seems sharp as its ****e together and is a big find that most seem to shun...

i found the MLL for the sharps at cnet and chadB's reviews, chads reviews were for the 80 632 and the 70 732 or 735 something like that. the reason i put a little faith into the numbers is because they are all .01 for all of them or a little better. just a note the pots tweak created other problems for me, ex. i put up a gray slide and the uniformity was terrible.

i love the blacks on the ST, ive never seen black like that, so inky, so i hope it hasnt jaded me. but now i just look for pink, which isnt really that bad and maybe im being to picky, but be damned i want something that i have piece of mind with.

Great news! Glad Amazon is taking care of you! Hopefully this will be your last set for awhile!
Thanks for the MLL info.

#48 ·
On the first page of this thread, settings were linked from 633 calibration thread, which I believe is the same set as the 632, just with 240hz. In that thread there is mention of lip sync issues when people are running audio from receivers and not the set. Has anyone had lip sync issues with the 632? That would certainly be a deal breaker for me, that is one problem that I can't overlook.

Thanks,

#49 ·
No sync issues here but then I am using Game mode. I can see how having all the 'processing' enabled could cause sync issues.

Jason

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21463157

No sync issues here but then I am using Game mode. I can see how having all the 'processing' enabled could cause sync issues.

Jason

Thanks. Still makes me a little nervous that you report the best image/performance with game mode. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you have done it, but it really makes me question the processing of this set. I have a 2 year old Sony 240hz LCD and have most enhancements off, but I can use it with a 24p source in standard or theater mode, and pans are smooth with no S.O.E and no lip sync issues.......looks almost as good as either recent plasma that I have.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21460485

DaGamePimp, does this 632 not handle 24p properly? seems being a 120Hz set it would handle 24p. not questioning you, just asking since you seem to know your stuff.

This makes me a little nervous as well Mark, just responded about this. You may actually get your 632 before me, because I am still on the fence about what to do. I posted over in the plasma thread regarding the FBR issue on the LG, and what I am seeing may not be the FBR that you were talking about. If this is the case, I may still just keep the 450, or look into the 950. Then again, I am starting to get more curious about CES to see whats coming in a few months. I have an LG 47 inch 5300 that I am pretty happy with even though its a lower end LG. However, it does have local dimming, so if they release a similar set in a 60 inch version this year, I might wait for it.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.