Official Sharp 60" AQUOS LC-60LE632U Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 360 Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you use HDMI1 input for LAG tests? I believe it is fastest port on this TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 360 Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I used HDMI 4 when I did the tests but I just re-tested on HDMI 1 with the same basic results.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 360 Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I shudder to get back into this, but what does this lag test have to do with image quality? Game Mode has less lag? Well, duh. Image quality was the point of contention.

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #94 of 360 Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

I shudder to get back into this, but what does this lag test have to do with image quality? Game Mode has less lag? Well, duh. Image quality was the point of contention.

There's nothing to get back into, if you do not wish to use it then please don't.

I have to say that I do not understand your continued negativity to my posts.

I am only trying to be helpful and I am hopeful that others here appreciate my contributions to this thread.

I get that many in the TV forums do not know me here at AVS but please understand that I learned much of what I know from an ISF/HAA/Cedia/Audio Master's friend that designed, built and calibrated top tier home theater systems (over the course of about 10 years, in his company, I was fortunate enough to learn more than most here at AVS care to know). Beyond that I have been in AV for 25 years and have held jobs managing AV retail stores as well as doing installs and calibrations.

Game mode is simply a good starting point for those that wish to avoid added processing (considering full calibration control remains active).

Even with Film Mode and Motion Enhancement disabled on Movie mode Game mode still shows less lag (thus less processing of the image).

I have A-B'd fully calibrated Movie - Game modes and to my eyes Game mode results in a smoother image with less judder, obviously this has to do with image quality (which I take very seriously). Honestly I wish I had a 1080p/60 capable digi-cam to post a video and show the difference that I know is there.

Besides that many people do game on their 60LE632 and for those feeding their display via a single HDMI cable from an AVR it's beneficial/easier to utilize a single calibration for all sources.

I am not here to make false claims or lead others astray, I am only sharing my personal opinion and making suggestions based upon my experience with this display. I take no offense to those that do not value my opinions so take it or leave it, certainly everyone's choice, but please refrain from the rude and negative responses (they are totally uncalled for).

DirkBelig, I see no reason for this to continue since you obviously see fit to hold a grudge over a personal opinion on settings for a television (please stop for a moment and soak in just how absurd and immature that truly is). Please let it go, you have picked an internet fight that you cannot win since we have both already lost (you for your rude attitude, name calling and me for responding to it and not simply taking the high road by ignoring it). You have now shown your true colors, once again, and as such this is the last time that I will respond to you.

Please consider that I too own this television and you have no right to chastise me for sharing my experience and opinions with it (just as the rest of us have not done to anyone else for sharing theirs).

Thank You,
Jason

post #95 of 360 Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM

Dude, you have got to get a grip on your persecution complex because this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Game mode is simply a good starting point for those that wish to avoid added processing (considering full calibration control remains active).

Even with Film Mode and Motion Enhancement disabled on Movie mode Game mode still shows less lag (thus less processing of the image).

...is exactly the answer I've been begging for the whole time!!!

I hadn't considered the positive aspects of using a mode that turned off everything possible in order to dial back in what the user specifically wants. I've been looking at it from the viewpoint of being like "Why would you want to turn off the anti-lock brakes and traction control since they're useful?" While I may or may not have specifically agreed, I would've know where you were coming from. If you had simply said this in the beginning, we could've avoided plenty of nastiness. If only you could've simply answered the question instead of knee-jerking your, "How dare you question my expertise, puny human! You're mean!!!", replies. I wasn't looking for a fight; I was seeking explanations. That you couldn't answer because you wanted to feel abused is your problem.

Now, let's try the other question - focus, just the question: How does not using a 1:1 frame-to-display ratio benefit playback? It seems that showing the frames as they're coming off the source material without adding a cadence would be "proper." As I see it, 3:2 pulldown was the solution to a problem of old technology - a way to cram an oval peg into a round hole - because analog televisions had a 60 Hz refresh rate and film was 24 Hz. How does ADDING frames at an uneven ratio result in a better picture when the display is capable of doing 1:1?

Looking forward to your answer. Thanks.

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #96 of 360 Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Buddy of mine has the 60 inch 633U and is having significant motion issues on sports. Any setting recommendations to help?
post #97 of 360 Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 AM

What does he have his 120 Hz set at and what mode is he in? It seems counter-intuitive, but with HD DirecTV, watching football with that turned on high introduced ghosting when the ball was in the air. Shutting it off or turning it low (not in front of my set now; may've compared my User preset to the default Standard) mitigates the effect.

The short, dumb answer: Check the settings while it sucks and then try the opposite. As we've been trying to discuss, a lot of the options which are sold as ways to improve the image actually degrade it.

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #98 of 360 Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

What does he have his 120 Hz set at and what mode is he in? It seems counter-intuitive, but with HD DirecTV, watching football with that turned on high introduced ghosting when the ball was in the air. Shutting it off or turning it low (not in front of my set now; may've compared my User preset to the default Standard) mitigates the effect.

The short, dumb answer: Check the settings while it sucks and then try the opposite. As we've been trying to discuss, a lot of the options which are sold as ways to improve the image actually degrade it.

Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sorry I was a bit vague earlier, I was posting from my phone.

But basically yeah, my buddy has DirecTV and when the QB throws the football it's just a brown blur that is very ghosted.

I told him to try this tweak, he'll also try to remember to write down the rest of the settings, I'll post them if/when I get them.
post #99 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
well, i got my 632, and i am happy with but having some problems. i notice stuttering or jerkiness that is sporadic, it happens mainly on dish, i may have seen it on blu rays tho. i have all processing turned off, can anyone help? and i have lip sync issues, i had to dely the audio 100ms on the blu ray player, on dish it depends on the channel but i did not notice as much with my other displays.

i do have some clouding, but i guess it isnt too bad.

my main issue is the stuttering, if i cant fix it it may go back. it never happened on my other displays
post #100 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Zero lip sync issues here in Game mode (as I have stated before). Also running the latest firmware.

Jason

post #101 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
I have always had sporadic lip sync issues with DISH and Directv DVRs, Directv being worse, And this is true with all of my sets both plasma and LCD. Most of the time skipping back, or pausing will resolve the issue. Never had issues with bluray ever, so hearing this is a little troublesome as my current AVR does not have a way to delay the audio to match the set. I should be getting my 632 next week some time, it's in route now.

Lip sync is one of the issues that I was worried about before I bought this set based on what others have said in the 633 thread. If this turns out to be an issue with this set, I may have to send it back and just wait for the 2012 models.........

Also, hopefully the stuttering can be resolved, Haven't had to deal with that since my first LCD back in 2005.......

Bummer,
post #102 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Ugh, Just doing a google and avs search shows that sharp is the number one set with lip sync issues, All models and sizes. Just read about a guy with the same issues posted here on the Polk audio forums with his new 80 inch 632. Only solution I have read so far is to get a new AVR with hdmi and a delay adjustment..........that is not acceptable. What is going on with the sharps!?! Wish I would have known about this ahead of time....

EDIT: The more I think about the lip sync, I suppose it's not a deal breaker for me as long as it is correctable via a new AVR, They are much cheaper than I thought. Plus my current AVR is 10 years old!!! Lol

The stuttering still has me concerned though....
post #103 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Ugh, Just doing a google and avs search shows that sharp is the number one set with lip sync issues, All models and sizes. Just read about a guy with the same issues posted here on the Polk audio forums with his new 80 inch 632. Only solution I have read so far is to get a new AVR with hdmi and a delay adjustment..........that is not acceptable. What is going on with the sharps!?! Wish I would have known about this ahead of time....

EDIT: The more I think about the lip sync, I suppose it's not a deal breaker for me as long as it is correctable via a new AVR, They are much cheaper than I thought. Plus my current AVR is 10 years old!!! Lol

The stuttering still has me concerned though....

the stuttering is in the picture, anybody else have this?
post #104 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Stuttering pic would be major deal breaker for me. I used to have a vizio that did that and it drove me nuts!
post #105 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Anyone else having this issue? Really worried now about picking this set, Should have mine this week.......

Lip sync can be dealt with, But not the stuttering.......
post #106 of 360 Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As I have also stated before you should see little to no judder if you leave your Blu Ray player set to 60Hz and you leave Motion Enhancement set to Off (while using Game mode). I have experienced no motion or sound issues in this mode. If you use 24Hz you will see varying amounts of judder regardless of the Motion setting. As for regular television I use OTA and basic digital cable, as long as the signal is HD I have no issues. I also do a ton of DLNA media streaming and have no issues there when using a bd player or the tv itself. I game on this display via Xbox360, PS3 and PC and again all games are playable with no issues in Game mode, in Movie mode I cannot play FPS games due to the lag (you can see the mouse pointer stutter across the screen).

Best of Luck,
Jason

post #107 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:

As I have also stated before you should see little to no judder if you leave your Blu Ray player set to 60Hz and you leave Motion Enhancement set to Off (while using Game mode). I have experienced no motion or sound issues in this mode. If you use 24Hz you will see varying amounts of judder regardless of the Motion setting. As for regular television I use OTA and basic digital cable, as long as the signal is HD I have no issues. I also do a ton of DLNA media streaming and have no issues there when using a bd player or the tv itself. I game on this display via Xbox360, PS3 and PC and again all games are playable with no issues in Game mode, in Movie mode I cannot play FPS games due to the lag (you can see the mouse pointer stutter across the screen).

Best of Luck,
Jason

I appreciate the feedback. Gaming in game mode makes sense, however if this set can't properly decode 24p material, then it will be going back......still waiting for delivery, and hoping I don't have the issues mark is. I understand the theory of shutting off all extra processing, etc. but what boggles me is that you see a more stable image at 60hz.... If that is the case then the sharp is processing the pull down and not decoding 24p correctly.......cheap store brand sets can handle this task just fine......

I will report my findings once I get mine and have time to sit down and test.
post #108 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I will say however that with 1080p/24 the least offensive Motion setting is Off. It's not as if the pans themselves are horrible but you will notice edges blur at 24Hz and this is regardless of the Motion setting or Mode in use. To those of you using 24Hz please do not go looking for the issue if you do not currently notice it, once you train your eyes/brain to see it you'll be distracted by it forever.

Maybe we'll see a firmware update that will solve this issue but in the mean time I am enjoying the over-all performance of what is basically an entry level 60" display that competes very well with my higher end 50" 6500K/D65 plasma regarding over-all image quality for about half the cost of admission.

* Oh and Game mode does not have to be an exclusive mode for gamers, it would seem people need to get past the 'title' of the mode and simply accept what it does and how well it functions on this particular display (especially considering all of the important calibration controls remain active, full CMS is still there).

Once again Best of Luck!
Jason

post #109 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:

I will say however that with 1080p/24 the least offensive Motion setting is Off. It's not as if the pans themselves are horrible but you will notice edges blur at 24Hz and this is regardless of the Motion setting or Mode in use. To those of you using 24Hz please do not go looking for the issue if you do not currently notice it, once you train your eyes/brain to see it you'll be distracted by it forever.

Maybe we'll see a firmware update that will solve this issue but in the mean time I am enjoying the over-all performance of what is basically an entry level 60" display that competes very well with my higher end 50" 6500K/D65 plasma regarding over-all image quality for about half the cost of admission.

* Oh and Game mode does not have to be an exclusive mode for gamers, it would seem people need to get past the 'title' of the mode and simply accept what it does and how well it functions on this particular display (especially considering all of the important calibration controls remain active).

Once again Best of Luck!
Jason

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate that. Still can't wait to get this set and hopefully start enjoying it!
post #110 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Some more testing info... this time here are some LAG test results to show the variance from MOVIE mode to GAME mode.

MOVIE = 140ms

GAME = 30ms

The tests are not showing the actual LAG of the display (I have to break out my CRT monitor for that).

Each test was run multiple times and there was a slight variance with the results but the ones posted are about the average.

I just wanted to back up my GAME mode suggestion with some factual evidence.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for sharing, I just linked to this post in the 633 calibration thread. Much appreciated!

toddRiffic

post #111 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the 632?
post #112 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for sharing, I just linked to this post in the 633 calibration thread. Much appreciated!

No problem, happy to help but please consider the 633 may not be exactly the same as the 632 ??? (so YMMV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the 632?

I think the Reset option on the "Initial Setup" tab resets all settings to factory. I did it at one point on accident but do not recall 100% if that was the one.

Jason

post #113 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem, happy to help but please consider the 633 may not be exactly the same as the 632 ??? (so YMMV).

I think the Reset option on the "Initial Setup" tab resets all settings to factory. I did it at one point on accident but do not recall 100% if that was the one.

Jason

thanks, but i want to do like a hard reset to see if it would help the picture stutter problem. i am prolly going to exchange it now, mainly for the stutter, that was the deal breaker with this one, but it also has a stuck pixel and some clouding, and the lip sync issue, i dont know if a new one will be better but hopefully no worse.

fyi, i have all the processing off.
post #114 of 360 Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well if you are in Game mode and do not have your BD player at 24Hz but still having judder/sync issues then something does sound off.

I would not expect to get a set with no clouding, the question is can you see it during normal viewing and not just when you go looking for it (full field black in a dark room), if during normal viewing then it should absolutely be considered a defect IMHO.

I am so very picky about this stuff but from the responses some of you may be even more so and expecting far too much from a set at this price point. No excuses for the set just saying people need to keep their expectations in check (just the reality of the industry).

Best of luck on an exchange,
Jason

post #115 of 360 Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just did some more testing and discovered that all modes other than Game have some degree of visible lag even when Motion Enhancement and Film Mode are set to OFF. This is very obvious when a PC is connected and you move the mouse pointer around.

Another pointer for those with clouding that prefer watching in a dark room is to use some bias lighting behind the panel.

Jason

post #116 of 360 Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just did some more testing and discovered that all modes other than Game have some degree of visible lag even when Motion Enhancement and Film Mode are set to OFF. This is very obvious when a PC is connected and you move the mouse pointer around.

Another pointer for those with clouding that prefer watching in a dark room is to use some bias lighting behind the panel.

Also here are some basic settings for those looking for a quick fix that is better than out of the box (without involving the CMS). I just did these by eye from my PC using Colorfacts and various test patterns, they are only for fun and are in no way meant to be taken as 6500K/D65 settings. These were done in USER mode and once again should not be considered truly accurate (just better than OotB).

Signal is YCbCr 4:4:4 (16-235)

Backlight = +3 (but you can pick what suits your preference/room, my preferences are up to a +7 in a bright room and down to a -8 in a dark room)
Contrast = +29 (higher than 29 loses variance in color gradiations, I personally like this at 24 but 29 can be done with no ill effect as long as your color saturation is not too high)
Brightness = +1
Color = -7
Tint = +4
Sharpness = +1 (some may prefer 0, above +1 adds too much EE/ringing)
Color Temp = Mid-Low (Low out of the box is too warm and Mid is too cool)
Active Contrast = ON (the video purist in me says leave this off but if the pumping does not bother you it adds some depth/pop)
Gamma = -1 (you'll see this tone down the image a bit and leave it looking less washed out with little compromise, if -1 feels too dark then use 0)

If I did not mention it then it was set to OFF/disabled and remember these are only for a quick fix (basically for fun, I did not use my meter to obtain these settings).

Jason

i noticed you posted the user mode settings, could you please post what you came up with in game mode..

thanks
post #117 of 360 Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

i do use bias lighting and will say that i do see the clouding from time to time on content,but that was not a big issue. what i see is not judder at all. the picture actually jerks and stutters, noticeable on "talking head" stuff especially.
post #118 of 360 Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

i noticed you posted the user mode settings, could you please post what you came up with in game mode..

thanks

I make it a rule to not post my ISF level settings for several reasons...

1. Out of respect for ISF calibrators, people often assume just because they see some numbers posted on the net that they are now @ 6500K/D65.

2. Variances & tolerances with primary and secondary colors from panel to panel.

3. The two times that I have done so over the years ended up in arguments.

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i do use bias lighting and will say that i do see the clouding from time to time on content,but that was not a big issue. what i see is not judder at all. the picture actually jerks and stutters, noticeable on "talking head" stuff especially.

Ah I see, well then something does sound off (especially if it is doing that with blu ray).

Jason

post #119 of 360 Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll have some better settings to come soon... I am doing a basic Color Temp and average Gamma calibration.

These will be very close to 6500K and 2.2 Gamma but not dialed to D65 (for the reasons I stated above).

Jason

post #120 of 360 Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have some better settings to come soon... I am doing a basic Color Temp and average Gamma calibration.

These will be very close to 6500K and 2.2 Gamma but not dialed to D65 (for the reasons I stated above).

Jason

i would like to see them for movie mode...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page