Official Sharp 60" AQUOS LC-60LE632U Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Glad to have helped, it's too bad so many people are hooked on the blue push and so hesitant to use Game mode. We know what they are missing.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Glad to have helped, it's too bad so many people are hooked on the blue push and so hesitant to use Game mode. We know what they are missing.

Jason

I will be honest Jason, when I read your calibration of game mode while my set was on order I had low expectations. Mainly because any set I have owned in the past, game mode was the worst to try and calibrate for movies. I am glad that i trusted your report and gave it a try, gorgeous picture with them! Thanks again for taking the time to calibrate and share your findings.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And I don't blame you one bit for your low expectations, this is the first display that I have ever owned where Game mode is the best choice for most sources. I am doing what I can to convince people to at least give it a chance but most seem too preoccupied by the title of the mode (I guess people figure if they don't game then there is no reason to use that mode). Unfortunately game mode appears to be at a 'mental' disadvantage.

Jason
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:

And I don't blame you one bit for your low expectations, this is the first display that I have ever owned where Game mode is the best choice for most sources. I am doing what I can to convince people to at least give it a chance but most seem too preoccupied by the title of the mode (I guess people figure if they don't game then there is no reason to use that mode). Unfortunately game mode appears to be at a 'mental' disadvantage.

Jason

Game mode with your color calibration and a few tweaks with color/tint/backlight is stunning, I can't express how good this set looks!

I was finally able to get some time to watch a dark movie in pitch black last night, so I chose Tron Legacy and it was amazing. With backlight on 0, it was not too bright at all, and I am amazed at how this set handles black level. I owned a Panasonic ST30 for about a month, and I don't know how the Sharp does it, but it works great for dark scenes. Its really strange too, because on an all black screen with no signal, its obvious that base black level/MLL is much higher than the plasma, but I swear that once any content at all is on the screen, even scrolling credits, it appears darker than the plasma! At first I thought it was brighter, but I watched a few movies on the ST30 with mid panel brightness and it would hurt your eyes on some scenes it was so bright......yet black level did not seem as good as the Sharp?!?! No complaints here though! I am also happy at how well the Sharp handles motion, there is some judder on fast pans, but both of the plasmas I owned while better, were not leaps and bounds better than the Sharp.

This set puts a smile on my face every time I power it on!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Game mode with your color calibration and a few tweaks with color/tint/backlight is stunning, I can't express how good this set looks!

I was finally able to get some time to watch a dark movie in pitch black last night, so I chose Tron Legacy and it was amazing. With backlight on 0, it was not too bright at all, and I am amazed at how this set handles black level. I owned a Panasonic ST30 for about a month, and I don't know how the Sharp does it, but it works great for dark scenes. Its really strange too, because on an all black screen with no signal, its obvious that base black level/MLL is much higher than the plasma, but I swear that once any content at all is on the screen, even scrolling credits, it appears darker than the plasma! At first I thought it was brighter, but I watched a few movies on the ST30 with mid panel brightness and it would hurt your eyes on some scenes it was so bright......yet black level did not seem as good as the Sharp?!?! No complaints here though! I am also happy at how well the Sharp handles motion, there is some judder on fast pans, but both of the plasmas I owned while better, were not leaps and bounds better than the Sharp.

This set puts a smile on my face every time I power it on!

i agree this is an amazing set, i much prefer it over the ST, while the ST does some things better the sharp pleases me more. besides the pink issue, the ST made bright sunny days in movies and football games look overcast and i hated that....

i use the gamepimps game mode for dish and movie for bluray, both settings are close in PQ, but game helps the lip sync on dish. this is the first set that i really want to get pro calibrated. man i wish i had the means to get the 70". i sit about 8' from the 60, so it is really almost perfect. plus i got it for 1220 after discounts from amazon....

thanks to the "pimp" for taking the time to help us out...

***edit*** i just noticed i had 2 of the the value settings wrong on gamepimps settings, i will reevaluate if i want to use them on blyray, but at first sight they look better....
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

I asked my ISF calibrator (ChadB) to use Game mode when calibrating my set. It was the only mode where I did not see any 'soap opera effect'. He got excellent results calibrating in this mode, so while I was also initially surprised that Game mode was best, as Jason stated, its the one to use.

Please post your calibration settings
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

Please post your calibration settings

That is not something that should ever be done, it's very disrespectful to the calibrator (unless they approve). I am even hesitant to post my calibrations and usually don't do it but in the case of the 60LE632 I saw such a drastic difference from out of the box that I felt compelled to help out the AVS community.

Jason
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:

That is not something that should ever be done, it's very disrespectful to the calibrator (unless they approve). I am even hesitant to post my calibrations and usually don't do it but in the case of the 60LE632 I saw such a drastic difference from out of the box that I felt compelled to help out the AVS community.

Jason

I agree, this is their livelihood. I see this question all the time here too, I don't think people realize what they are asking.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:

I agree, this is their livelihood. I see this question all the time here too, I don't think people realize what they are asking.

You full of it. If someone's got their TV pro calibrated then settings would be true only for a particular TV where calibration is performed. Even then not all calibrations are perfect and I'm sure calibrated TV picture may not be necessary most likeable for individual's TV viewing. For example Jason's settings that most people like, look too dull and produce clay like skin colors on my TV. If anyone wishes to have their TV to be professionally calibrated then no settings on the net would be acceptable, and likewise if someone doesn't wish to pay for calibration and completely unsatisfied with a TV then they most likely move to another brand/model then pay for calibration. That said, it still would be nice to have such calibration here for a reference, that's all I asked. It is hard to believe to some narrow minded individuals that posting such calibrations here can bring more business to the calibrators since most people(including myself) do not believe in importance of modern TV to be pro calibrated. Show me the difference and I'll be first in line.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you do not believe that TVs need to be calibrated, but that you would like to see the results of those unnecessary calibrations?

I don't believe that PROFESSIONAL calibration will result a picture that I'd like better then a picture from the settings that I currently use. I'm more then satisfied with my current settings but if there is a room for improvement then why not to try before you buy? I wish there could be a way to see the difference for myself and prove me wrong that's why such settings interest me.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:

You full of it. If someone's got their TV pro calibrated then settings would be true only for a particular TV where calibration is performed. Even then not all calibrations are perfect and I'm sure calibrated TV picture may not be necessary most likeable for individual's TV viewing. For example Jason's settings that most people like, look too dull and produce clay like skin colors on my TV. If anyone wishes to have their TV to be professionally calibrated then no settings on the net would be acceptable, and likewise if someone doesn't wish to pay for calibration and completely unsatisfied with a TV then they most likely move to another brand/model then pay for calibration. That said, it still would be nice to have such calibration here for a reference, that's all I asked. It is hard to believe to some narrow minded individuals that posting such calibrations here can bring more business to the calibrators since most people(including myself) do not believe in importance of modern TV to be pro calibrated. Show me the difference and I'll be first in line.

Wow man, relax. All I was doing was agreeing with dagamepimp and yes I do see this question all over avs, and yes it is disrespectful to share the pro settings you just had applied to your set if you paid for a calibration. If it wasn't an issue then you would see settings from the calibrator posted freely all over the place, you wouldn't even need to ask for them........did you see chad b post his calibration settings........didn't think so.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

With everyone on these boards spread out all over the world I only see it as helping out fellow members when somone post their settings. Usually its the first thing one does when they start an official thread, I can't really see how it is hurting anyone....

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

With everyone on these boards spread out all over the world I only see it as helping out fellow members when somone post their settings. Usually its the first thing one does when they start an official thread, I can't really see how it is hurting anyone....

This isn't just settings, but a pro calibration that was paid for, there is a difference. Everyone on this board should be thankful that dagamepimp posted his settings, they are pro level.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I am still looking at this set, but also the samsung un60d7000 and for some reason I just keep going back to the sammy...it just looks so sexy!

I dont know why buying a TV has to be so damm hard!

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Wow man, relax. All I was doing was agreeing with dagamepimp and yes I do see this question all over avs, and yes it is disrespectful to share the pro settings you just had applied to your set if you paid for a calibration. If it wasn't an issue then you would see settings from the calibrator posted freely all over the place, you wouldn't even need to ask for them........did you see chad b post his calibration settings........didn't think so.

There are always 2 sides of same coin. I'd really don't want to be the one who paid $$$ for a pro calibration and end up with a picture that I don't like. It really sucks to turn on the TV look at the picture and say to yourself "I paid $$$ for this calibration and every setting is now perfect but my eyes hate it and my own naked eye "calibration" is the one I want to use". As I said earlier dagamepimp's (Jason's) settings didn't work for me even though they closest to "real" calibration and many people liked them. I'm not doubting Chad b or Jason's skills but the real question here is how to know if pro calibration will produce significantly better viewing individual experience for ME then my own settings? I'd say pros don't want anyone to see their settings since there is not much value in them for most people.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Guy's let's not argue opinions here, if you want an ISF tech's calibrations then simply PM the tech and ask, it's not considerate to put the end user on the spot for work that is not their own.

That said, the reality here is that most people do not initially like a properly calibrated image, 6500k/D65 can take some adjusting. Truth be told the majority would pick some of the out of the box settings over a 6500k/D65 calibration, it's not their fault it's just what their brain/eyes have become accustomed to viewing. We should all get maximum enjoyment from our displays and accurate is not always entertaining for everyone.

Please let us not derail the thread any longer.

Jason
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Popped in Avatar last night and it was breathtakingly clear. I'd looked at it before with the now-too-blue-and-desturated josay settings from the 633 thread and thought it looked good, but this was seriously HO-LEE-COW viewing. Thanks to DaGamePimp for his contributions.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

So does anyone know all of the differences between this model and the 60LE633?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOverSt View Post

So does anyone know all of the differences between this model and the 60LE633?

The only difference is useless 240Hz on 633. If you get 633 from Costco then warranty and return polices could be better then other retailers.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:

The only difference is useless 240Hz on 633. If you get 633 from Costco then warranty and return polices could be better then other retailers.

Do you know if its a quattron or not? If not whats the difference between this and a quattron?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know if its a quattron or not? If not whats the difference between this and a quattron?

the super mega yellow pixel....never seen before....
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

the super mega yellow pixel....never seen before....

I dont understand if your answering the question or being sarcastic.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont understand if your answering the question or being sarcastic.

bazinga..!!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:

neither 633 nor 632 are Quattron. Here is info on Quattron: wiki.

"According to an analysis published in MaximumPC Magazine by Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, a video calibration equipment producer, Sharp's Quattron technology does not have the ability to show more colors than a standard RGB set. He argues that, due to industry-standard color spaces used by content providers, there is no existing source material that contains the fourth color channel. He further states that any "extra" colors displayed must simply be created in the television itself through video processing, resulting in exaggerated, less accurate color."
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:

neither 633 nor 632 are Quattron. Here is info on Quattron: wiki.

"According to an analysis published in MaximumPC Magazine by Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, a video calibration equipment producer, Sharp's Quattron technology does not have the ability to show more colors than a standard RGB set. He argues that, due to industry-standard color spaces used by content providers, there is no existing source material that contains the fourth color channel. He further states that any "extra" colors displayed must simply be created in the television itself through video processing, resulting in exaggerated, less accurate color."

Thanks for answering my question.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It appears the 633 is so similar to the 632 that calibration settings cross over while they do not for the quad pixel sets. The added 240Hz mode on the 633 is done via processing only so my guess is it is nothing more than a different firmware on the 633 that adds the feature (could be additional hardware involved but I doubt it).

Jason
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

It appears the 633 is so similar to the 632 that calibration settings cross over while they do not for the quad pixel sets. The added 240Hz mode on the 633 is done via processing only so my guess is it is nothing more than a different firmware on the 633 that adds the feature (could be additional hardware involved but I doubt it).

Jason

just wanted to say i applied your settings to my 80" thinking no way it will come close. boy i was wrong- it actually looks pretty damn good...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

just wanted to say i applied your settings to my 80" thinking no way it will come close. boy i was wrong- it actually looks pretty damn good...

Good to hear, it does appear that the 632/633's are very close regardless of size.

Jason
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM

I bought a 633u and used pimp's game settings. It took a good two weeks of getting used to but it's been very good.

I watch a ton of hockey and this set scared the crap out of me. The edge-lit tech for hockey seems to be a worst case senario. It's been pretty good. Everything does seem to have a haze or grey overcast to it. I took your settings pimp and tried to pump the backlight, that didn't work. I bumped the contrast to 29 and it helped a bit and kept it that way for a week. Last night I ticked brightness up to +3 and it felt right. Probably a heavy handed approach but for getting the red pipes of the nets to pop and the ice to look white but with texture (it's subtle), that seemed to work. Hockey is a brutal test on these sets. Watched a Tampa Bay game with dark home jerseys on. They are not black but close to it. Your settings allowed accurate color for them with good speration of the blue trim. Some other settings just clicked the uni's to black. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Budda,

The contrast & brightness settings should hold valid for everything except television, cable/sat/ota all seem to have variables (even down to some channels being different than others over the same service). It would seem none of the television companies can get this correct so it is no fault of the display.

You're welcome, glad the settings worked for you.
Jason

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread