Official Sharp 60" AQUOS LC-60LE632U Owners Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 360 Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post


Sounds good, hope they work out on your set.

Jason

Hey Jason, I've only had time to watch some HD content off my directv dvr as of yet and I think it looks close to the game settings, but I like these movie mode settings better. I do not notice lip sync issues with movie mode. Do have any bluray content you suggest for evaluation and what to look for? Thanks so much for your contribution!
toddRiffic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 360 Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Hey Todd,

These Movie mode settings are more accurate and if you do not have any processing issues/lag then you will probably enjoy them more than the Game settings (there is not a massive difference between the two and each mode has it's advantages). I do find that the Red issue tends to show itself a bit more often in Game mode. I did these with the hope that one of the two sets would work well enough for most people so they can develop an appreciation for something more accurate. I figured with the unknown variables on these Sharp displays the odds are better with two sets of settings out there for people to try.

As for source material it's just as with anything else, junk in = junk out. The better calibrated a display is the more you are likely to notice source deficiencies. With that said the usual suspects are very impressive on these displays once properly calibrated, things like Avatar, Star Wars ROTS, POTC4, The Dark Knight, Pixar/Dreamworks CGI animation. I have yet to be impressed with anything over cable (don't have SAT) but I have seen some impressive OTA (which is less compressed than cable).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #243 of 360 Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
can someone please tell the size bolts i need to attach the the mounting plates to the tv for wall mounting?
mark62 is offline  
post #244 of 360 Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Hey Todd,

These Movie mode settings are more accurate and if you do not have any processing issues/lag then you will probably enjoy them more than the Game settings (there is not a massive difference between the two and each mode has it's advantages). I do find that the Red issue tends to show itself a bit more often in Game mode. I did these with the hope that one of the two sets would work well enough for most people so they can develop an appreciation for something more accurate. I figured with the unknown variables on these Sharp displays the odds are better with two sets of settings out there for people to try.

As for source material it's just as with anything else, junk in = junk out. The better calibrated a display is the more you are likely to notice source deficiencies. With that said the usual suspects are very impressive on these displays once properly calibrated, things like Avatar, Star Wars ROTS, POTC4, The Dark Knight, Pixar/Dreamworks CGI animation. I have yet to be impressed with anything over cable (don't have SAT) but I have seen some impressive OTA (which is less compressed than cable).

Jason

Hey Jason,

I totally agree with your junk in = junk out statement. coming from a 42" plasma I find this set to be much less forgiving of poor source material. But we don't buy these sets to enjoy junk, but rather to see the best of what is available.

I watched a little of Spears and Munsil's "lighthouses of the Pacific Northwest" last night as I figured there was no cinematic effect they were going for when it came to color, just accuracy and also I've been around the Washington coast a little bit. It looked great to me with your movie mode settings minus any of the bells and whistles picture "enhancements" and your suggested 4:2:2 setting for my bluray player.

As to your usual suspects for demonstration material, is there any one thing on any of them you can point to as to what to look for to show the difference between what a properly "calibrated" set displays vs a set that is not?

Thanks so much again!
toddRiffic is offline  
post #245 of 360 Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Hey Jason,

As to your usual suspects for demonstration material, is there any one thing on any of them you can point to as to what to look for to show the difference between what a properly "calibrated" set displays vs a set that is not?

Thanks so much again!

Well honestly I am not the right guy to ask for differences between calibrated and un-calibrated, it's night n' day for me and it ALL looks vastly different to my eyes. Even using the best possible factory presets on these sets is a MASSIVE difference from my calibrated settings. I cringe watching these things out of the box, they are truly hideous, so much so that it amazes me people buy them based upon what they see in a store. I bought it knowing I could calibrate it and make a choice to keep or return, once calibrated it was a keeper.

Watch for skin tones (do they look natural/real) and check out a black & white movie (does it look black & white?). Just be sure you are not watching a stylized movie where the director has purposely altered the color palette for look or mood. Also you should be seeing fine color gradations as they are meant to be seen, subtle transitions can often be lost on an un-calibrated display.

You're welcome, glad to see you are enjoying the settings (at least until that in-home pro cal).
Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #246 of 360 Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Well honestly I am not the right guy to ask for differences between calibrated and un-calibrated, it's night n' day for me and it ALL looks vastly different to my eyes. Even using the best possible factory presets on these sets is a MASSIVE difference from my calibrated settings. I cringe watching these things out of the box, they are truly hideous, so much so that it amazes me people buy them based upon what they see in a store. I bought it knowing I could calibrate it and make a choice to keep or return, once calibrated it was a keeper.

Watch for skin tones (do they look natural/real) and check out a black & white movie (does it look black & white?). Just be sure you are not watching a stylized movie where the director has purposely altered the color palette for look or mood. Also you should be seeing fine color gradations as they are meant to be seen, subtle transitions can often be lost on an un-calibrated display.

You're welcome, glad to see you are enjoying the settings (at least until that in-home pro cal).
Jason

Yeah, I can't stand Vivid/burn your retina mode. I've used "setup/calibration" disks since the days of my old sony trintron non-hd crt. I put tv's in movie mode when I'm shopping.

I've been real busy with work and have just had time for some hd content off the directv dvr and these movie mode settings look great! They'll keep me content until I can get that in-home pro cal.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #247 of 360 Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Here are my personal Movie settings, these have been tweaked to the N'th degree and this is as good as MY set gets in Movie mode. Hopefully they work well for some of you.

Blu Ray player set for 4:2:2, Deep Color OFF

Movie Mode
(target @ 40 ftL)

OPC = Off
Backlight = +2
Contrast = +27
Brightness = +1
Color = 0
Tint = 0
Sharpness = +1 (0 for the purists)
Gamma = -2

Color Temp = Low

LO
R +16
G +2
B -30

HI
R +4
G +1
B -18
------
HUE
R +9
Y +6
G -2
C -4
B +2
M -1
------
SAT
R 0
Y -1
G -1
C 0
B 0
M 0
------
VAL
R -5
Y -2
G +15
C +2
B +16
M -5

* Everything else OFF (if Active Contrast is enabled set Gamma = -1, this does alter the CAL somewhat but will give more depth/pop if desired and still graph very well)


Again these are for MY 60LE632 and as such they may not be as accurate on your 632 series Sharp. I tested these settings with several different Blu Ray players and calibration discs once completed, they test perfect on MY 632 across multiple players with all the test discs (HD DVE, WOW, S&M, AVSHD 709).

* Currently running a Sony S780 Blu Ray player as it rivals my Sony 1000ES for image quality and is superior to my other players (Sony S580, Samsung C6900, LG 590, Panasonic BD35, PS3 phat, PS3 Slim, BD-HTPC).

Hopefully some of you will be very pleased with these, enjoy...?

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #248 of 360 Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
thanks jason, glad to see that none of the sat values are set positive, as i have read that setting them positive causes problems, i am going to try these and and watch some blu rays tonight. i have to use game for dish because movie mode causes lip sync and stutter problems, movie also causes lip sync problems with blu ray but i can adjust it in my player.
mark62 is offline  
post #249 of 360 Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Yeah Game mode is still the best all around mode but Movie can get slightly more accurate. I may be working on a new Game mode CAL over the next week, so if they end up superior to the previous Game CAL I'll post them. Had it not been for the fact that most people at this point can adjust sync via either their player or AVR I probably would not have posted any Movie mode settings.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #250 of 360 Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Here are my personal Movie settings, these have been tweaked to the N'th degree and this is as good as MY set gets in Movie mode. Hopefully they work well for some of you.

Blu Ray player set for 4:2:2, Deep Color OFF

Movie Mode
(target @ 40 ftL)

OPC = Off
Backlight = +2
Contrast = +27
Brightness = +1
Color = 0
Tint = 0
Sharpness = +1
Gamma = -2

Color Temp = Low (note: Green does not track flat @ 6500k from factory)

LO
R +16
G +2
B -30

HI
R +4
G +1
B -18
------
HUE
R +9
Y +6
G -2
C -4
B +2
M -1
------
SAT
R 0
Y -1
G -1
C 0
B 0
M 0
------
VAL
R -5
Y -2
G +15
C +2
B +16
M -5

* Everything else OFF (if Active Contrast is enabled set Gamma = -1, this does alter the CAL somewhat but will give more depth/pop if desired and still graph very well)

Again these are for MY 60LE632 and as such they may not be as accurate on your 632 series Sharp. I tested these settings with several different Blu Ray players and calibration discs once completed, they test perfect on MY 632 across multiple players with all the test discs (HD DVE, WOW, S&M, AVSHD 709).

* Currently running a Sony S780 Blu Ray player as it rivals my Sony 1000ES for image quality and is superior to my other players (Sony S580, Samsung C6900, LG 590, Panasonic BD35, PS3 phat, PS3 Slim, BD-HTPC).

Hopefully some of you will be very pleased with these, enjoy...?

Jason

Hi jason I really liked your previous game mode settings but something always bothered me. I noticed during a show called "Alcatraz" on a episode called "Kit Nielsen" a scene where the prison guards outfit in standard movie mode was dark blue and a prison administrator's was dark grey. Your game mode settings showed the dark blue as black and your previous move mode settings fixed this issue but I noticed a skin tone issue while watching "Survivor". In the third episode of this seasons "Survivor One World" with your previous movie mode settings I noticed a slight greenish tint to a couple of peoples faces that have darker skin during the tribal council. Your newest movie mode settings have fixed the skin tone issue. I'll report back when I had a chance to enjoy the fruits of your labor while watching some bluray content.

Thanks again for your contribution!
toddRiffic is offline  
post #251 of 360 Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Always remember to never judge accuracy based upon broadcast tv.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #252 of 360 Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Always remember to never judge accuracy based upon broadcast tv.

Jason

Agreed, I just wanted to give feedback based on what content I've had a chance to watch. I've got the day off for a dental appointment and if I'm not too goofed up from the gas and sedatives, I'll report back after checking out some of your bluray suggestions.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #253 of 360 Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Jason, I tried your new settings on my 70" 632 and checked them with the DVE BD and the THX optimizer on my TiVo and the settings are quite good. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

Looks like the 60" & 70" 632 are indeed very similar, from the 80" 632 settings thread it appears it is 'different' (even though I have had several messages from 80" owners stating the settings worked really well ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Agreed, I just wanted to give feedback based on what content I've had a chance to watch. I've got the day off for a dental appointment and if I'm not too goofed up from the gas and sedatives, I'll report back after checking out some of your bluray suggestions.

Oh yes and I appreciate all constructive feedback, thank you.

Hope the dental appointment went well and you got the chance to enjoy your 632, I hate dental anything and my wife works in that field, hehe.

* Don't know if you have it but the HUGO blu ray is stunning.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #254 of 360 Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
i owe mr. da gamepimp an apology. i initially thought his latest movie mode settings did not transfer well over to my 80". after further review boy was i wrong. i was comparing them to some settings that were prof. calibrated specifically for the 80" in which a very well known calibrator did the job. the reds and blues were way off compared to Jason's revised settings. this baffles me why they are transfering over so well, but i will take it. jason thank you for your continued dedication in this. hopefully you'll revise the game mode settings as well. btw they look very good on mine.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #255 of 360 Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
airgas1998,

No apology required, using settings in this manner is very much a trial and error situation and if you find a set of CAL settings on the net that work consider it lucky.

I'm sure Kevin Millers settings were probably extremely accurate on the particular 80LE632 that they were done on (he's one of the top pro's in the industry). What we are seeing here is a set to set variance that's more than we may have initially considered. My logic here is telling me (through posts here, PM's and several discussions) that we possibly have a few different internals on the 632's. It could come down to even a single chip being changed out due to availability(?).

Happy to hear the latest settings are working well on your 80".

I will probably tackle the Game mode again soon (more than likely after the weekend).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #256 of 360 Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Oh yes and I appreciate all constructive feedback, thank you.

Hope the dental appointment went well and you got the chance to enjoy your 632, I hate dental anything and my wife works in that field, hehe.

* Don't know if you have it but the HUGO blu ray is stunning.

Jason

Hey Jason,

Survived the dental appointment through magic of nitrous and sedatives. I went with the wife to Costco today and while I was looking at the two much more expensive 60" Samsung LCD set's there that I managed to get into their movie mode, I thought to myself that I got a steal on my 633. While I was looking at those sets my wife came back to me from shopping around with the "Hugo" bluray because she heard it was a good movie. I watched it today and I gotta say you have good taste. Not only was it a great movie, but IMHO it was possibly the best video I have seen that I can think of with the benefit of your movie mode settings. Is there is any one thing during the movie in a scene you suggest to take a closer look at? From what I saw if there was a flaw, I think I would be nitpicking at something almost no one else would notice.

I also will ad that I picked up a new sony bluray player to replace my old one so I could have the Amazon video app and I was really impressed with the quality of the video of "Justified" I had bought from Amazon for streaming. It seemed to me that it looked better than vudu's hdx's stream of "Super 8" I recently watched. And the "Justified" streaming was just a little below bluray quality for what it's worth.

Thank you again!
Todd
toddRiffic is offline  
post #257 of 360 Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Todd,

Glad to hear you walked away from the dentist with an inner glow (or maybe it was carried away, but still...).

Hugo is amazing, truly a stunner on a calibrated set, if you found yourself drooling it may not have been from your dental visit.

With Hugo there were so many amazing visuals that I don't think I can recall actually picking it apart at any point, I was just in awe most of the time. The specs of dust floating around was captivating, which sounds silly but since you have seen it you probably know what I mean. The attention to all the little visual details just caught me off guard I guess. I can't really say it's a good movie to use as a guide for color because much of it has an altered color palette.

We can all nitpick, heck I have a reference sRGB monitor and see things on that every once in a while where I'm thinking hmmmm was that the display or the source/media.

You're welcome and glad to hear the settings are adding to your enjoyment.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #258 of 360 Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post


Hugo is amazing, truly a stunner on a calibrated set, if you found yourself drooling it may not have been from your dental visit.

With Hugo there were so many amazing visuals that I don't think I can recall actually picking it apart at any point, I was just in awe most of the time. The specs of dust floating around was captivating, which sounds silly but since you have seen it you probably know what I mean. The attention to all the little visual details just caught me off guard I guess. I can't really say it's a good movie to use as a guide for color because much of it has an altered color palette.

Jason

Yeah I noticed the specs too. I have a friend who's on a budget but wants to spend the money (finance) for a 60 inch samsung lcd. I think I'll invite him over to watch Hugo. Nothing against the samsung but I think he should really look at this set first. It's a steal IMHO.

Thanks Jason!
toddRiffic is offline  
post #259 of 360 Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Newbie
 
Raknirok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Movie mode
backlight +4
Contrast + 28
Brightness -6
Color +4
Sharpness + 1
Color temp mid
Hue
R+6
Y-2
G 0
C+5
B+22
M-4

Sat
R-5
Y+3
G+4
C 0
B -21
M 0

Value
R+2
Y 0
G+1
C 0
B +3
M 0

Gamma -1
Active contrast off
Raknirok is offline  
post #260 of 360 Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I have some new settings done with a different meter on a 632 if anyone is interested in trying them out. These may work better for some (YMMV).

These are 35 ftL target in MOVIE mode (so may be better for a darker room versus my previous movie mode settings that targeted 40 ftL)...

Blu Ray player set to 4:2:2, deep color off, standard mode (not theater, bright room, custom modes for those players that have them)

OPC = OFF
BACKLIGHT = -1
CONTRAST = +27
BRIGHTNESS = +1
COLOR = 0
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0 (+1 is ok but higher = much more ringing/ee)

Motion Enhance = OFF (120 Low is fine but avoid 120 High)
Active Contrast = OFF (if ON set Gamma to -1 for an average of 2.2 with an S shaped curve)
Gamma = -2 (comes in just barely under 2.2)


(3-30-2012 UPDATED the settings below after more fine tuning)

Color Temp = LOW
LO
R +11
G 0
B -26

HI
R +1
G 0
B -11

- HUE ------ SAT ------ VAL
R +3 -------- 0 -------- -7
Y +7 ------- -2 -------- -1
G +3 -------- 0 ------- +14
C -3 -------- -1 ------- +3
B +1 -------- 0 ------- +15
M -1 -------- 0 -------- -6

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #261 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I have some new settings done with a different meter on a 632 if anyone is interested in trying them out. These may work better for some (YMMV).

These are 35 ftL target in MOVIE mode (so may be better for a darker room versus my previous movie mode settings that targeted 40 ftL)...

Blu Ray player set to 4:2:2, deep color off, standard mode (not theater, bright room, custom modes for those players that have them)

OPC = OFF
BACKLIGHT = -1
CONTRAST = +27
BRIGHTNESS = +1
COLOR = 0
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0 (+1 is ok but higher = much more ringing/ee)

Motion Enhance = OFF (120 Low is fine but avoid 120 High)
Active Contrast = OFF (if ON set Gamma to -1 for an average 2.2)
Gamma = -2


(UPDATED the settings below after more fine tuning)

Color Temp = LOW
LO
R +11
G 0
B -25

HI
R 0
G 0
B -11

- HUE ------ SAT ------ VAL
R +3 -------- 0 -------- -7
Y +7 ------- -2 -------- -1
G +3 -------- 0 ------- +14
C -3 -------- -1 ------- +3
B +1 -------- 0 ------- +15
M -1 -------- 0 -------- -6

Jason

Thanks again, Jason. I appreciate your time and effort in helping us "would be purists" in getting our sets as close to a properly calibrated set as possible. I will give these new 35 ftl settings a try.

After I dial in these calibrations, how do I know how close I am? Is there a way I can display a pic here of a certain scene or picture on my set (after calibration) to which you or others can tell if it is close or not? I am a purist and want proper calibration vs pop or good looks.

I know the settings will come close but not sure what I can do to tweak it further to my environment? Thanks again for your assistance.
rbanez is offline  
post #262 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ditch-digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the middle of the woods New Hampshire
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
still waiting for the new game settings....

u rock
ditch-digger is offline  
post #263 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ditch-digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the middle of the woods New Hampshire
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post

Go easy on the poor guy. I think we should all chip in and send him on a well deserved vacation for his efforts.

thats why the " u rock" was added....how much more can be said besides u rock..???????


sick..

awesome...

phattttt...

mint..

neato...

u rock says it all
ditch-digger is offline  
post #264 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Thanks again, Jason. I appreciate your time and effort in helping us "would be purists" in getting our sets as close to a properly calibrated set as possible. I will give these new 35 ftl settings a try.

After I dial in these calibrations, how do I know how close I am? Is there a way I can display a pic here of a certain scene or picture on my set (after calibration) to which you or others can tell if it is close or not? I am a purist and want proper calibration vs pop or good looks.

I know the settings will come close but not sure what I can do to tweak it further to my environment? Thanks again for your assistance.


Checking it with a cal disc is about all you can do without proper cal gear.

Watch skin tones and check out a black & white movie to see if it looks b&w without any hint of other colors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

still waiting for the new game settings....

u rock

What I have decided to do is a Game mode cal with Active Contrast enabled since that is the only way to get the Gamma to average out at close to 2.2. So basically I'll do the entire cal with active contrast on, thus turning it off will alter the cal. This will be a balance and will not be perfect but hopefully I can improve upon my previous Game mode cal. I am hoping that I can get to it tonight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post

Go easy on the poor guy. I think we should all chip in and send him on a well deserved vacation for his efforts.


Considering using someone else's settings does not guarantee proper calibration it would be wrong to charge for it, on the other hand donations to put toward new calibration equipment could be beneficial.

Sound good?

That'll be $19.95
+ tax (unless in Oregon)
+ s&h (my high speed internet just had the rates raised)
+ disposal fee (of old settings)
+ environmental fee (to replant the tree that was sacrificed to make my desk)
+ hourly rate (working into the wee hours requires much bottled water and granola bars)
+ medical expenses (developed carpal tunnel typing in settings)
= 3 easy payments of $33.33.

Seriously I am just trying to help others build an appreciation for something more accurate than the horrible factory presets we have been given and the more people that develop a taste for this the better.

I hope that people find a cal set that gets them in the ballpark (of course some may get really lucky but as always YMMV).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #265 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Checking it with a cal disc is about all you can do without proper cal gear.

Watch skin tones and check out a black & white movie to see if it looks b&w without any hint of other colors.




What I have decided to do is a Game mode cal with Active Contrast enabled since that is the only way to get the Gamma to average out at close to 2.2. So basically I'll do the entire cal with active contrast on, thus turning it off will alter the cal. This will be a balance and will not be perfect but hopefully I can improve upon my previous Game mode cal. I am hoping that I can get to it tonight.





Considering using someone else's settings does not guarantee proper calibration it would be wrong to charge for it, on the other hand donations to put toward new calibration equipment could be beneficial.

Sound good?

That'll be $19.95
+ tax (unless in Oregon)
+ s&h (my high speed internet just had the rates raised)
+ disposal fee (of old settings)
+ environmental fee (to replant the tree that was sacrificed to make my desk)
+ hourly rate (working into the wee hours requires much bottled water and granola bars)
+ medical expenses (developed carpal tunnel typing in settings)
= 3 easy payments of $33.33.

Seriously I am just trying to help others build an appreciation for something more accurate than the horrible factory presets we have been given and the more people that develop a taste for this the better.

I hope that people find a cal set that gets them in the ballpark (of course some may get really lucky but as always YMMV).

Jason

we certainly appreciate it Jason. i have plugged your movie settings back into my 80", and they look great. previously was using kevin miller's, but see the red/rosy faces again. not sure wht the issue is, but so far the skin tones are great with yours. very interested to see how a new revised game mode will turn out.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #266 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

we certainly appreciate it Jason. i have plugged your movie settings back into my 80", and they look great. previously was using kevin miller's, but see the red/rosy faces again. not sure wht the issue is, but so far the skin tones are great with yours. very interested to see how a new revised game mode will turn out.

Have you tried the new Movie mode settings that I recently posted, they may be even better for you than the previous set (they are a little dimmer though @ roughly 35 ftL vs 40 ftL).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #267 of 360 Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Have you tried the new Movie mode settings that I recently posted, they may be even better for you than the previous set (they are a little dimmer though @ roughly 35 ftL vs 40 ftL).

Jason

i sure will, when i get back from travels.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #268 of 360 Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Well I re-did Game mode and again I am not totally satisfied with the end result. The CAL would be ok for non critical viewing like gaming but I can't say I would use it for blu ray playback other than maybe animation due to being more vivid/fun. Green is the main culprit here in Game mode and since that is 71% of RGB Y it makes getting a solid cal difficult as no amount of adjustment can get it accurate to REC709. I also discovered that calibrating game mode with Active Contrast enabled was not doable since there was not enough range of adjustment to get each color within a reasonable delta E.

If anyone is interested in trying them I'll post the cal with the understanding that this is possibly as good as game mode is going to get on my 632 regarding over-all accuracy (trade-offs here and there for sure).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #269 of 360 Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ditch-digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the middle of the woods New Hampshire
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i would love to see it. to be honest in my opinion your game mode settings looks much better than the new movie mode settings...
ditch-digger is offline  
post #270 of 360 Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Well it's not surprising to hear some say that since the Game mode settings are more vivid/fun but unless we are talking drastic set to set variations my latest Movie mode cal is much more accurate (which of course may not be preferred).


40 ftL target in GAME mode...

OPC = OFF
BACKLIGHT = STD
CONTRAST = +27
BRIGHTNESS = +1
COLOR = 0
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0 (+1 is ok but higher = much more ringing/ee)

Active Contrast = OFF ( if ON leave Gamma @ -2 for an average 2.2 )
Gamma = -2 ( = flat 1.8 without active contrast )


Color Temp = LOW
LO
R +13
G 0
B -26

HI
R +1
G 0
B -12

- HUE ------ SAT ------ VAL
R +5 -------- 0 -------- -2
Y +10 ------ -5 -------- +2
G +2 -------- 0 -------- +7
C +6 -------- 0 -------- -3
B +7 -------- 0 ------- +30
M +2 ------- -1 ------- -15


Best of luck and please keep in mind that active contrast ON will alter the cal (trade-off ).

Oh and with Active Contrast ON this CAL definitely has that vivid LCD look (fun for gaming).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off