Westinghouse VR-5525Z - Discount or DEAL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the incredibly low priced ($700) Westinghouse 55" at Target on an impulse and I can't find a dang thing online about it. I was hoping with it's huge markdown, others might have also purchased and some chatter might start.

For the moment, I don't have much to say about the picture quality because I've only watched an hour show on it. I did notice a major soap opera effect going on, which is new to me, and did a little research and think I know how to remedy that. I'm going to go out and get a calibration DVD and configure before I start posting but here are the specs for this HDTV.

Screen Size: 54.6 "
Video Resolution: HD - 1080p
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Display Features: Diagonal LCD Widescreen, High Resolution Panel, TFT LCD Screen, HD Display, Color Distinction, Closed Caption, TheaterWide®, Hi-Scan 1080i
Screen Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
Response Time: 6.5ms Response Time
Contrast Ratio: 4000:1
Tuner Type: ATSC/NTSC/QAM
HD Compatibility: HD-Built-In HDTV/ATSC Tuner
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
Brightness(cd/m2): 400
Audio Features: Full Range Speakers
Speaker Type: Down-Firing
Number of Speakers: 2
Number of HDMI Inputs: 4
Number of Component Inputs: 1
Number of Composite Inputs: 1
Output Types: Digital Audio, Headphone Jack
Finish: Glossy
Dimensions with Stand: 33.6 " H x 52.0 " W x 13.6 " D
Dimensions without Stand: 31.1 " H x 52.0 " W x 4.5 " D
Weight: 72.78 Lb.

It's a huge upgrade from what I had for the last six years but I'm sure some of you pros would laugh at it but I guess I don't get the same paycheck as you do. ;-)

What I can speak to at the moment is heft and look of actual television.

*Pretty light, I carried it up three flights of stairs by myself
*It is a bit bulky but still thinner than my last tv and I know not all can be super extra slim, just not a major point for me.
*I'm glad it doesn't have 3D or internet ready. Those are the very last on my list because I don't like 3D and I have enough internet ready components to attach.
*The sound from the internal speakers is NOT the greatest but I'm going to do some more configuring to see if I can get the best sound out of it. If I didn't have a receiver I might return it, the sound is that bad.
*The remote is sluggish but I'll most likely just use my Tivo remote once I get the TV calibrated and won't need to access the menus regularly.

That's all I have for now, hope others chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM

The Westinghouse VR-5525Z is the best deal for the size, quality and price. I too bought this recently and what caught my eye was not the price at first. It was its ability to reproduce shadow detail when comparing to other LCD TV's. I researched a lot of TV's in the past and do own a Pioneer 50" Elite Kuro which is still hands down one of the best TV. Westinghouse doesn't have the deepest blacks on the market but it's good enough. Its shadow detail is impressive on test and the gradient on colors is very good.
I use the VR-5525Z for multiple applications. TV, Blu rays, PC, Sony Google TV and CCTV.

I turn the 120Hz off, I don't like the Soap Opera Effect. The Video Noise Reduction works well. Since the Westinghouse was prices way below my budget, I have gotten a Pioneer Elite VSX33 with Marvel QDEO Video Processing. The Pioneer has video adjustment capabilities and now the Westinghouse looks amazing.

The Westinghouse VR-5525Z inputs are nicely placed facing down in the back and all on one board. This is very useful when wall mounting. The onscreen menu is a little too simple, and I wish the adjustments had numerical values as well. Overall it's a great TV without the bells and whistles. Good job Westinghouse. I look forward to seeing what's in store for future models.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Harvey NYC, good to know. I am disappointed that the picture setting menu is limited but I also turned off the 120hz and so far the picture is amazing, especially through my Pioneer receiver (not quite as fancy as yours) when playing blu ray discs. The pic is also pretty amazing on my Apple TV at only 720. So... so far so good.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM

Just bought Target's 55" Westie special ($599) and have a problem with video settings (possibly others) in that on changing channels or powering HDTV off, the HDTV resets to the default value(s). Example, tune in HD channel and change color temperature to warm (from cool) or turn on dynamic contrast (from off) and upon changing channels and returning, my custom settings have changed back to their default. There is no retention. Customer service says that is how this model is designed and there are no firmware updates. Any one know of a work around as it becomes a pain to reset for every channel every time one watches shows? Overall, pretty happy with low priced 55" model which appears to be slightly newer than the Best Buy similarly priced Westie.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Grt

wfb108 - You may have already tried this, but some TV's require that you be in User mode to make and save changes to the default settings. If you are not making the changes in User mode it may explain why the TV switches back to default each time you change channels. Even if you do make changes in User mode, the TV may automatically switch back to Default mode each time it is turned off and on. In that case you just need to switch to User mode after you turn it on it should have your saved settings for all channels. I had a similar issue with another TV. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyjrsf View Post

I recently purchased the incredibly low priced ($700) Westinghouse 55" at Target on an impulse and I can't find a dang thing online about it. I was hoping with it's huge markdown, others might have also purchased and some chatter might start.

For the moment, I don't have much to say about the picture quality because I've only watched an hour show on it. I did notice a major soap opera effect going on, which is new to me, and did a little research and think I know how to remedy that. I'm going to go out and get a calibration DVD and configure before I start posting but here are the specs for this HDTV.

Screen Size: 54.6 "
Video Resolution: HD - 1080p
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Display Features: Diagonal LCD Widescreen, High Resolution Panel, TFT LCD Screen, HD Display, Color Distinction, Closed Caption, TheaterWide®, Hi-Scan 1080i
Screen Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
Response Time: 6.5ms Response Time
Contrast Ratio: 4000:1
Tuner Type: ATSC/NTSC/QAM
HD Compatibility: HD-Built-In HDTV/ATSC Tuner
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
Brightness(cd/m2): 400
Audio Features: Full Range Speakers
Speaker Type: Down-Firing
Number of Speakers: 2
Number of HDMI Inputs: 4
Number of Component Inputs: 1
Number of Composite Inputs: 1
Output Types: Digital Audio, Headphone Jack
Finish: Glossy
Dimensions with Stand: 33.6 " H x 52.0 " W x 13.6 " D
Dimensions without Stand: 31.1 " H x 52.0 " W x 4.5 " D
Weight: 72.78 Lb.

It's a huge upgrade from what I had for the last six years but I'm sure some of you pros would laugh at it but I guess I don't get the same paycheck as you do. ;-)

What I can speak to at the moment is heft and look of actual television.

*Pretty light, I carried it up three flights of stairs by myself
*It is a bit bulky but still thinner than my last tv and I know not all can be super extra slim, just not a major point for me.
*I'm glad it doesn't have 3D or internet ready. Those are the very last on my list because I don't like 3D and I have enough internet ready components to attach.
*The sound from the internal speakers is NOT the greatest but I'm going to do some more configuring to see if I can get the best sound out of it. If I didn't have a receiver I might return it, the sound is that bad.
*The remote is sluggish but I'll most likely just use my Tivo remote once I get the TV calibrated and won't need to access the menus regularly.

That's all I have for now, hope others chime in.

You have it for close to 2 months. What are your thoughts?
Many of us have bought this from the recent Target deal. Your inputs will be really appreciated.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grt View Post

wfb108 - You may have already tried this, but some TV's require that you be in User mode to make and save changes to the default settings. If you are not making the changes in User mode it may explain why the TV switches back to default each time you change channels. Even if you do make changes in User mode, the TV may automatically switch back to Default mode each time it is turned off and on. In that case you just need to switch to User mode after you turn it on it should have your saved settings for all channels. I had a similar issue with another TV. Hope this helps.

By golly, Grt, you may indeed know more about the Westinghouse product line than the customer service / tech representatives. I found it so irritating that I was going to return it but now will give it more time to evaluate. Thanks.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 PM

I just recently purchased one as well. Very nice for the $. Curious if there's a a super color menu to further fine tune the colors. Possible? Not alot of info out there.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by union171 View Post

I just recently purchased one as well. Very nice for the $. Curious if there's a a super color menu to further fine tune the colors. Possible? Not alot of info out there.

I've been casually searching for Westinghouse service menu codes for the past month or two and have come up with nothing for recent models.

I have a different model, the VR-3225, but was willing to try anything i found.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

I've been casually searching for Westinghouse service menu codes for the past month or two and have come up with nothing for recent models.

I have a different model, the VR-3225, but was willing to try anything i found.

Please share if you find something..

It's a good set for the money..
post #11 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM

^^
Likewise for the vr-4625.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM

^^ And the VR-5535z. I love it, but the picture looks a little "flat" - soap opera, I believe they call it - and the menus seem to be pretty lacking in ability to fine-tune the picture.

But I just got it yesterday, so I'll still keep messing with it to see what I can do. Still, for $699, I'm way happy with it!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page