Refresh rate between Sony and Samsung - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jyeh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use to be a die hard fan of Sony XBR. But now since the Samsungs are more competitively priced, I am looking at Samsungs. Which is a better 65 inch TV below?

Can you compare the motionflow of Sony, who claims their 55 and 60 inch TVs are Motion flow 960 to the Samsung LED 7000 or 7050 series which are 720? Is that a apples to apples comparison?

What about contrast ratios?
Sony claims dynamic contrast ratio is INFINITE (what ever that means)
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications
Samsung claims 25,000,000:1
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65D8000XFXZA
jyeh74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Comparing the two 65s, the Sony is definitely the superior set. That XBR is a full-array LED set with local dimming, the Samsung D8000 is edge-lit LED with ineffective pseudo-local dimming. As such it will have generally weaker black levels and more backlight distribution issues than the Sony.

As far as the motion handling, I don't think anybody really knows for sure what exactly Samsung's "Clear Motion Rate" numbers (480, 600, 720, 960 on the D8K) or Sony's MotionFlow ratings (XR240, XR480, XR960 on the HX929) are meant to represent. Neither company manufactures sets that have an actual refresh rate that exceeds 240Hz, but they're probably factoring in backlight scanning/strobing + black frame insertion systems to arrive at higher "perceived" refresh rates, hence the higher numbers...mostly marketing speak to pander to "spec sheet" buyers. Same for contrast ratio; the numbers mean nothing here.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jyeh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
how is this different? Its a lot cheaper and is same size and 3D. $1400 less than the XBR!!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15865HX....html?tp=35862

Is it last year's model?
They said the refresh rate of this is 480Hz (compared to the more expensive XBR which is 240Hz)
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...4532027-4.html

Must be a typo.
jyeh74 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The HX729 is a 2011 model. Look at the chart, the reason the 729 is cheaper is because it has a "dynamic edge LED backlight" while the xbrhx929 uses "full-array LED with local dimming." Not all LED sets are created equal. edge-lit sets are cheaper because they use fewer LEDS and cannot dynamically dim the backlight in indivdual zones depending on the content being displayed.

This article explains edge-lit vs backlit pretty well:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...=featuredStory

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jyeh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at the Samsung 60" UN60D7050VFXZA
Doesn't say if it is full array LED or edge-lit LED?
jyeh74 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
texasrattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post

I'm looking at the Samsung 60" UN60D7050VFXZA
Doesn't say if it is full array LED or edge-lit LED?

ALL Samsungs are edge-lit. I have yet to see anything else by them in awhile. Its more cost effective to make edge-lit tv for Samsung than anything else.
They did have local dimming sets a year or 2 ago but all that is done for.
texasrattler is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
texasrattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Comparing the two 65s, the Sony is definitely the superior set. That XBR is a full-array LED set with local dimming, the Samsung D8000 is edge-lit LED with ineffective pseudo-local dimming. As such it will have generally weaker black levels and more backlight distribution issues than the Sony.

As far as the motion handling, I don't think anybody really knows for sure what exactly Samsung's "Clear Motion Rate" numbers (480, 600, 720, 960 on the D8K) or Sony's MotionFlow ratings (XR240, XR480, XR960 on the HX929) are meant to represent. Neither company manufactures sets that have an actual refresh rate that exceeds 240Hz, but they're probably factoring in backlight scanning/strobing + black frame insertion systems to arrive at higher "perceived" refresh rates, hence the higher numbers...mostly marketing speak to pander to "spec sheet" buyers. Same for contrast ratio; the numbers mean nothing here.

From my understanding Clear Motion Rate and Motionflow DO NOT increase the refresh rate but it takes the hertz, resolution and other things into account to give you a better overall picture quality. Thats all it does. Does it really make a difference, maybe.
texasrattler is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
 
audio/videoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check 'em out on the showroom floor. Get the remotes and adjust the picture settings to your liking. Watch. Compare. Report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post

I use to be a die hard fan of Sony XBR. But now since the Samsungs are more competitively priced, I am looking at Samsungs. Which is a better 65 inch TV below?

Can you compare the motionflow of Sony, who claims their 55 and 60 inch TVs are Motion flow 960 to the Samsung LED 7000 or 7050 series which are 720? Is that a apples to apples comparison?

What about contrast ratios?
Sony claims dynamic contrast ratio is INFINITE (what ever that means)
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications
Samsung claims 25,000,000:1
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65D8000XFXZA

audio/videoman is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off