Sharp LC60E69U - questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There seems to be some different specs on this model. There has been several topics on other sites about this TV. Some say it has the X-Gen panel and some say it does not. I have seen response emails from Sharp employees that are on both sides. One says it does and the others say no X-Gen panel. I went to the store where the salesman told me it did have the X-Gen panel and it was CLEARLY printed on the box in several places. I purchased the set and my brother purchased one too. He has set his up but I have not yet seen his. Mine is still in the box and will remain there until I hear from Sharp. I spent some time on the phone with a very nice customer service rep and she is convince the set does NOT have the X-Gen even though the box plainly says it does. She requested and I sent pictures of the box. I am waiting to hear their response. At this point, I am wondering how many consumers have purchased this TV thinking it has a high quality panel. I plan to wait until Monday to take action. I am sure very few readers of this forum would be in my position since they would have come here 1st. I did research and looked at pictures and wanted the quattron but could not see the $500 -$800 difference in what I thought was a TV with the X-Gen panel. I have become convince that this TV DOES NOT HAVE the X-Gen panel.

I was wondering what the members here think about the TV and if it has the better panel. The price I paid was VERY good for almost any 60" Tv but it appears it is not what I thought I was getting. Sharp's site is not very informative and a lot of sites have different information about the same model. Some say it has 4 HDMI ports and some say 3 (is correct). Weights vary and a few more items. I was also surprised to learn this is a new model - my set was made in late Sept.

Thanks in advance for your imput
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 155
This is simly put an update of their long running Budget panel and it's a CCFL backlit the old standby which is thicker than edge lit which may have some advantages. I owned a 57" Sharp that was CCFL for over 5 years when it was the best and from a 8G plant in Kayemaya Japan when the cost was $6500 on sale and one of the largest LCD's on the market and I'm guessing you bought this panel for around $1K - $1.5K five years later.

Bottom line this is an old time CCFL that has a good longevity history and good screen uniformity though it may lack deeper black levels of competitors in the upper tier panels. I also believe this panel is produced on the budget line in Mexico - including it's substrate and I don't think they have XGen capability there - they can assemble XGen panels but the glass is not from Saiki the XGen Plant - more than likely Kayemaya in Japan which I belive was an 8G plant - there are two plants called K1 and K2 and one of them has been retrofitted and repurposed for IPads and Smart Phones instead of LCD TV's. Saiki is a $5.5 billion dollar plant providing all the large glass for the all the large panels and XGen glass for all the bad boy Humongous 70-80" panels, Elite Line and rumored to add the Apple TV for 2012 (we'll find out for sure at CES next month the facts on this one) - there aren't any CCFL panels flowing off the XGen line in Saiki so it's hard to figure how it could truly be an XGen.

What's more important in my mind is if this is a Ten Bit Panel with Ten Bit processing as that can deliver excellent PQ and be a difference maker. Xgen panels have 10/10 or better and previous better CCFL line had it. I would think there's some marketing going on with the box trying to ID the panel as tenth generation while it's panel is not XGen as it clearly lacks the characteristics in it's spec's for XGen. Not even Sharp USA's website identifies Xgen spec's anywhere that I could see and this model line follows the previous budget line that has been running for about 4-5 years now. I even searched the 31 page manual PDF and there's not a single reference to XGen either.

Best thing you could do is audition to determine if it does it for you - the CCFL will have some advantages versus Edge Lit while some weakness areas which usually equal weaker black levels being a CCFL. Sharp is suposed to be building an 8G plant for China but I don't think it's up and running yet as China wanted a XGen plant instead but Sharp had refused to build it to prevent canabalizing their own Saiki plant.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 16 Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I drove the 48 miles to look at brothers that he had opened and it looks fine. Some picture adjustment may be required and some stations appear to have much better pictures than others. (satellite) There does not seem to a lot of adjustments to make although I did not go into the bowels of the menu - there may be a lot more there. As for the price - I paid $720 plus tax which included a 10% coupon that management was not warm and cuddly about honoring. It also appears that it is a 60Hz rather than the promised 120Hz frame refresh. I base that on a start up screen that says 60Hz. I will ask Sharp about it when I talk to them. I also went thur the on line manual and saw no reference to X-gen and as a whole, the Sharp site is a maze that lacks a lot of information about more than this model

Again thanks for your informative response. I may go to the CES show in Jan. I t has been many years since I attended one. The last one I attended was at the Conrad Hilton in Chicago in the early 70s- things have changed "just a little"
post #4 of 16 Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have received a response from Sharp and have C/P it below. They claim the LE60E69U does have the X-Gen panel. I question this and wonder if there are just lazy people involved or are they indeed continuing their effort to mislead a consumer? If the latter is true - they will not be happy with me. I no longer have the expertise to battle with the technical aspects of this but I do have the time and resources to make their position extremely uncomfortable. All they ever had to do was tell me the truth and then I could decide whether to keep the TV or take it back for a refund and be out some time and expense. At this point I have no confidence in what Sharp says.

Below the C/P

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

We are very sorry for the confusion. It has been confirmed with our Product Planning Division in Japan that both the E69 and E79 models offer the X-gen panel.

The contrast ratio for the E69 is 19,000:1 and for the E79 is 25,000:1. The X-Gen labeling on the box is accurate.

Please let us know if you have additional questions

XXXX XXXXXX

AQUOS ADVANTAGE Advisor

Customer Assistance Center

Ph: 877-332-7867

Fax: 630-378-4246
post #5 of 16 Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM

The TV is 120Hz. It must have been the feed you and your brother were looking at.

I put in Avatar Blu-ray and it displayed 120Hz.

Not sure about all the settings or X-Gen panel. I too had a small issue about that, but after I played with the settings and watch Avatar, I can say that I think the PQ is awesome!! well worth the $720.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input -
post #7 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I was also interested in this TV. But the cheapest I'm finding it is $899 at Costco. I'm coming from a DLP so this will be my first flat panel which I am buying since my bulb finally died. Any input is appreciated.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

The TV has a very good picture on it and as you may have read in this thread at one time the was one of the best panels out there. HHGreg had this TV for 799 and I had a 10% off new customer coupon that they did not really want to honor because of what they said was a sale price. Best Buy offers what is almost the same set (79U) for $899 and it is more likely to have the X-Gen panel (which is a plus) and it allows far more adjustments to the picture. My brother is very happy with his and mine is still in the box while I decide what to do about Sharp and moving TVs around in my house

Just in case it may matter - the set appears to have been made in China in Sept
post #9 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Is there any difference between the LC-60E69U and the LC-60E79U? The only info I have been able to find is that the 79U (carried by Best Buy) is supposed to be a "newer" model. Yet they appear to have the same specs (GenX panel and all.) Sometimes BB will have a model with a different number but it is the same as what is available elsewhere with just one model number off.

Anyone have any info on this? At the moment, if there is no difference, Costco's pricing on the 69U is the better deal.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight View Post

Is there any difference between the LC-60E69U and the LC-60E79U? The only info I have been able to find is that the 79U (carried by Best Buy) is supposed to be a "newer" model. Yet they appear to have the same specs (GenX panel and all.) Sometimes BB will have a model with a different number but it is the same as what is available elsewhere with just one model number off.

Anyone have any info on this? At the moment, if there is no difference, Costco's pricing on the 69U is the better deal.

I thought the difference was just the 79u having internet access/widgets.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM

If you have opened and played with this display, have you seen a noticeable input lag?

Using a 360, PS3 and just straight cable I've found that my set has a pretty strong input lag. I'd estimate somewhere in the range of 1/10 of a second to 1/4 second depending on settings and input. Turning on any of the advanced video settings seems to make it worse, and the 360 suffers from the worst lag.

For me this is with both gaming systems hooked up through HDMI.

Also, I've noticed that the color setting seems to reset itself to either cool or warm on any channel change after I set it to normal.

Very disappointed so far - I'm hoping it's a defective unit and not an issue with the model.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Having just purchased one of these Sharp LC-60E69U TV's for 899 at Costco for my sons game room, good TV, however it is not a "Great" TV. You get what you pay for on picture quality. The Sharpr is Bright and worthwile as a second TV but not the primary TV set you view the most (my opinion). It has good sound; (my $3500 Samsung UN55B8500 has less sound in the speaker design than this new Sharp). I am going to calibrate the Sharp from the factory settings soon and will update any improvements.

Do get help to install, while I'm in decent shape it was a had some challenging moments pulling this up the stairs, mounting on the stand by myself.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Brandsmart has this for $800 while BB has it for $1,000. Can you justify the price difference?
post #14 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM

I just got the display model at my local Costco for $720. I didn't really consider it at $899 on costco.com because BB had the $999 special LED model, but at this price it is half of what else I probably would have bought, the 631/2 model. While I'll miss the smaller dimensions, lower weight, and power savings on an LED, I don't want to pay for a "smart" TV. Those features are better left to set top boxes if you ask me.

I looked at 831/835 models too, but I honestly can't see a difference in picture quality, not that there isn't, or may be noticeable to others. I'll have to checkout light bleed through and see just how hot it really gets, but I guess it beats $500 for a cheap 46" (I contemplated a cheap Dynex at BB.)

PS I think the TV is $1k at BB, because it isn't really BB. If you are going there I'd look at the "79" model, that is $1k, and it has more inputs and higher wattage sound. But I think the 6300U model is better if the limited picture controls don't bother you. (it is LED too)
post #15 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thx I ended up getting the 79 anyways.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM

I returned this set to Costco the same day I purchased it.

I have 3 HDMI (Fios, PS3 & PC) and two component (XBOX 360 & Wii) input sources that I feed into a Onkyo AV receiver. From the receiver, I have simply one HDMI to the TV. This setup works flawless with my current 4 1/2 year old Mitsubishi 65" DLP. However, hooked to this Sharp TV, I got picture only from one of the 5 sources - the PC on HDMI. All the other 4 sources would black screen, flashing the source resolution off and on.

I called Sharp support and was told that "source ==> AV receiver ==> TV" is not recommended on any current day TV as it puts a load on the receiver and creates audio sync issues. I was told I must connect my sources directly to the TV and then RCA digital-out the audio from the TV to the AV receiver. I grant you that the images did show up in that configuration, but that left me short one component input (since it only has one). My receiver has 5 HDMI inputs, beating this set by 2.

Sharp's support response sounded like BS to me. I returned this Sharp to Costco and bought the Panasonic 60" ST30 plasma model they were selling. The Panasonic has no problem taking images passed through my Onkyo AV receiver and there were no audio sync issues. The Panasonic also allows control of my Onkyo receiver power and volume (over HMDI) with the TV remote.

The Panasonic has a much better picture than this Sharp model. This Sharp produces motion blockiness on the edges of a moving object which I don't see on the Panasonic. The Panasonic was more than worth the 3 extra bills for feature improvement - better image quality, AV receiver control and input compatability, 3D, internet apps, many wifi networking features, 1 SDHC/2 USB flash memory input, etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc60e69u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Lc60e69u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page