LED-LCD vs LED for my purposes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have purchased an Inisgnia 42' LED (120hz) - seemed awesome online, but when I got it, I noticed awful backlight bleed in corners, blurring during video game movement (or any movement) - it makes me ill to watch or play. Tried Arkham City, can barely see anything when the screen moves, and I almost see trails follow everything.

I cannot afford a full-array LED model. My choice to replace this are the following:

LCD [great reviews] - amazon.com/LG-42LK520-42-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B004OOS35C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

LED-LCD [iffy reviews but very new] - amazon.com/LG-42LV4400-42-Inch-1080p-LED-LCD/dp/B005JK01GO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I mostly play video games so both will have 120hz smoothing turned off, but I leave it on for some Blu Rays. Which one here is the better option? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exavion View Post

I have purchased an Inisgnia 42' LED (120hz) -...blurring during video game movement (or any movement) - it makes me ill to watch or play. Tried Arkham City, can barely see anything when the screen moves, and I almost see trails follow everything...

Before taking it back, read your manual carefully. It looks to me that you may have it set up wrong. I've never seen one of these sets so won't try to diagnose it further.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I turned off all extra settings (Trumotion, dynamic contrasts) and calibrated with a THX optimizer - color looks great on stills, but when things move fast in games like FPSers, the image seems to have a hard time adjusting - gives me a headache.. With these features on, theres a half second lag for processing.. My old Toshiba LCD was great with motion, on the other hand.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if I am reading your post wrong. But it looks like you think there is a difference between "LED" and LCD/LED. There isn't, all consumer "LED" TV's are LCD/LED's. Really with companies were forced to describe this properly. I was in walmart the other day and a guy was telling his wife that the tv they were looking at sucked cause it was a "LCD/led" (it actually said it on the box). And he wanted a full led. I did inform him he wad kind of wrong, and he just looked dumbfounded.

Your issue is that the tv you bought uses edge backlighting. Nearly all edge light LCD's exhibit some sort of flash lighting. Some better than others, but it is really a crap shoot. I got really lucky with my Sony 810, as it is nearly perfect.

You could browse owners threads of various edge lit TV's to see how much of a problem it is.

Or like look into a full led array back lit LCD. But those can be $$$$$$.

I would take a really close look at plasma if I was you. 42" panasonics st30 can be had for a steal right now. Great input lag, and you will have no issues with uneven backlighting.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was well aware of my issue being caused by the Edge-lit LED - wanted to hear if anyone got this LG 4400 and noticed any bleed before I bought one. I think I will go for the LG 42LK520 - seems like S-IPS panel and with no LED lighting I can be without any backlight bleed.

I did not see a Plasma with good reviews in my price range ( <$600 USD) - will keep myeye out this month in case this LCD is no good
post #6 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exavion View Post

Hi all,

I have purchased an Inisgnia 42' LED (120hz) - seemed awesome online, but when I got it, I noticed awful backlight bleed in corners, blurring during video game movement (or any movement) - it makes me ill to watch or play. Tried Arkham City, can barely see anything when the screen moves, and I almost see trails follow everything.

I cannot afford a full-array LED model. My choice to replace this are the following:

LCD [great reviews] - amazon.com/LG-42LK520-42-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B004OOS35C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

LED-LCD [iffy reviews but very new] - amazon.com/LG-42LV4400-42-Inch-1080p-LED-LCD/dp/B005JK01GO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I mostly play video games so both will have 120hz smoothing turned off, but I leave it on for some Blu Rays. Which one here is the better option? Any thoughts?

LG my friend! LG has some great prices on 55" edge-lit TV's. I'm a full array guy but the guys on the LG 5600 forum are really happy with their sets.

I usd to sell this stuff and in all honesty I would try to steer all customers clear of all of those made in china sets. They just break within days it seems. More problems than not.

A TV is an investment. Your gonna have it for a few years so spend the extra bucks to get a good one.

I did and i use my TV EVERYDAY ^^
post #7 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 AM

Liked: 12
Sounds as if the panel had a very slow reaction time, which would explain the blurring.

As to LCD CCFL televisions not suffering from bleeding is also something that is "relative". You do get CCFLs that are only mounted on the edge, just like today's LED LCDs, plus, even with those mounted on the back of the panel you can still get some brighter parts. Granted, it's probably never going to be as bad as with a bad LCD LED set.

I'm surprised you still find LCD sets in the US. Here, you can't even sell those things anymore. For example we had a sale of Toshiba 40XV763G, which seem to be the European counterpart for the 40G300U. That TV was ranked for a long time on many test sites in their top 10, and was called the TV with the best price/picture quality ratio. Yet, nobody wanted it. You couldn't sell that thing even if your life depended on it, and people went with LCD LEDs that were more expensive yet clearly had a worse picture quality, and bad bleeding. But hey, it needs to be thin. All that matters *facepalms*
It's especially bad when the wife's with them shopping for a TV. You can explain different TVs, pros/cons of different TVs and the different issues for different TV makes, which should make it clear that Samsung aren't "the best TVs ever" (90% of the costumers come into the store with the words "I'm right in that Samsungs are the best TVs?"), and that you can get a TV with the same picture quality for less of a price. And after half an hour of explanation and showing off different TV models wifey always says "No, Samsung". And the Samsung gets bought ^^ No wonder most salesman just answer "Yes" to the initial question and have them gone after 10seconds with a Samsung in their trunk. Same endresult, less hassle

Anyways, rant over, it wasn't what you were asking for, sorry

With LGs, imo, you have some great TVs, and some cheap "Lemons", which are rather bad.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thercon View Post

I'm surprised you still find LCD sets in the US.

Oh, there is plenty of room for them in the market.
A lot of people would rather have a CCFL backlight than an edge-lit LED and the market responds. All edge-lighting buys you is thinness and a higher price. Now, full-array LED or Zone-dimming is a different story, but that's a different demographic. At the low end you are as likely to find good CCFL LCDs as crappy LED LCDs aimed at the unwary.

Most of the CCFL models still on the market are in the small-to-mid size range (32-46in) and run from $279 to $599 or thereabouts. Which makes them useful as entry-level models for budget buyers, dorm rooms, or gaming displays for kids.
A lot of people just want to watch OTA TV or basic cable, not a home theater, so a minimalist set suits them just fine. It's not as if LED or CCFL is any indication of build quality.
A friend of mine had a hard time convincing his new "wifey" to get an HDTV at all. "Why? It's just TV."
(Both are heavy readers, so getting her to adopt a Kindle was a lot easier. )

He worked at it until he got her to grudgingly agree to a mid-range 55in Panny Plasma. She's still not (officially) impressed.

There's room for all kinds.
Fortunately places like SAM'S CLUB, WALMART, and BEST BUY make room for both low-end and high-end tech.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like I will be going with the LG 42LK520 over the LG 42LV4400 - I would rather pick a CCFL with a better reputation than a new LED-lit that I cannot find on display in ANY store and has some very negative reviews on it.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Liked: 15
I have a three week old Insignia 32" set and I like it. Color, blacks are great, calibrated well. However, the screen is slow, like what you are complaining about. In normal viewing, doesn't bother me and I also don't watch sports (I can see how watching tennis on it would be irritating!).
I think that with LCD sets, you have to up the amount of $$ to avoid this issue. Or, get a plasma set. I don't know if they still sell dlp sets, but my 72"
Samsung dlp has no issues at all with motion, I'd much rather play video games on that than any lcd set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page