the samsung D8000 really that bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-18-2011, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was thinking about buying an Samsung 55D8000, I get the feeling off here, i should write it off and just buy a sony or sharp tv.... Is it really that bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-18-2011, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I don't think it's necessarily that bad, I just don't think it's that good either. If you're more into cosmetics than picture quality, then it's probably perfect. Take away the design, and you have a very ordinary set. But issues with uniformity/banding etc. make it a no-go for critical or dark room viewing, in my opinion. The fact that Samsung's edge-lit sets experience inherent LED/LCD problems worse than other brands is concerning and the PQ on the D8K does not justify its designation as a flagship TV.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 9 Old 12-18-2011, 04:25 AM

Liked: 10
I have un46d8000 which is exactly same as un55d8000 minus size. I like everything about it but 2 of units I've got is defected. I am requesting another exchange to amazon and hopefully, 3rd one comes without problem. This tv is awsome in everyway but it's made in mexico and quality control is incredibly poor. If you get lucky and well made set as it suppose to be, it's amazing tv but I had no such luck. My first one had some dead pixel with hissing sound and second one which amazon sent me as advanced replacement has uneven backlighting issue. Left side of backlight is so bright it looks like yellowish orange ball is there when screen goes black. This is first time I've ever received 2 defected in a row from amazon or any other place. I love this tv and that's why I will exchange again for a good one. Despite all the issues I hear about, it's still the best tv out there and best I've ever owned. It's just poor quality control part that's killing potentially amazing tv. At least amazon has good customer service, they pay shipping and do advanced exchange on defected item.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I've owned the 60D8000 about 3 months now and the TV is not what I call bad overall at all but seeing it is supposed to be Samsungs Best of Class it's disappointing and much inferior to Sony HX929 and Sharp Elite that cost more of course but it's simply disappointing for what's supposed to be best especially at night when the lights are out microdimming is exposed as BS.

Stylewise the panel is awesome but after a day or so you get over the style points and the first time in nighttime viewing with the lights out (which you cannot replicate with store auditions) and it gives you a WTF moment as the screen uniformity is worse than my previous 5 year old Sharp 57" - daytime viewing gives the illusion of deep blacks YES but at night it's BS.

To be honest while it's 3" bigger, it seems smaller than my Sharp and lacks the WoW factor I had with the CCFL and damn I wished I'd gone with the 70" Sharp or waited for the 65" 929 - while I like the money I saved on the Samsung it eats at me feeling like I wasted $2750 and expected improved WoW factor and I'm not getting it from this D8000 whereas a 70" would do so so instead of enjoying the money I thought I saved it eats at me that I didn't spend the extra for the true deeper blacks, screen uniformity and size as I auditioned the D8000 for months in the store and in that lighting could not see the screen uniformity problems like it replicates in my home and I unwisely bought it from a Vendor that didn't carry the Elite or 65" 929 as an exchange choice in my return window and so I have to live with my unwise choice and microdimming is BS IMO but when you witness how friggin thin this thing is it makes sense it would be a problem for edge lit.

Another Lesson learned but to be honest I believe one could go with several great CCFL panels and equal or beat the crap out of this TV screen uniformity problems at night for half the price I paid - you just won't win the style awards but that wears thin really quick indeed!

Daytime in a bright room it performs great and has a great thin look that can WoW but at night it's flaws are exposed no different than it was with the flat panel shootout against the Sharp Elite and Sony 929. If your a stickler for nightime deep blacks and credits running without edge bleed then pony up the money for the aforementioned Best of Class.

BTW Shin777 - Virtually all HT flat panels for N. America market are assembled in Mexico Tech Zones - often their glass substrates come from other areas of the world but most the panels have been assembled in huge Tech Zones in Mexico for N. America since labor costs are one seventh of US labor market (one reason Sony closed their Bravia Unit in Pennsylvania) - being Made in Mexico is not the problem as the technical internals are primarily imported from around the globe by those manufacturers. The Japanese and Koreans have pretty tight QC in those tech zones and if you were to disassemble these panels you 'd realize why a panel this thin would have problems controlling screen uniformity with light streaming from the edges - which is why Sony 929 and Elite blows away the Samsung in the dark at least until OLED arrives on the scene to trump them in the future.

Again, the panel is not "BAD" in that true sense overall but is flat out inferior and comparatively not a "Best of Class" flat panel. It feels Bad though since it doesn't fullfill expectations but it's not truly a bad performing panel only comparatively as a Best of Class Unit! "BAD" is it's performance with the lights out during nighttime viewing!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 9 Old 12-18-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

thank you.... i know what not to get
post #6 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

i would love to hear from others who has an 8D000....
post #7 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

i would love to hear from others who has an 8D000....

Then you should go to the D8000 owners' thread...
post #8 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Liked: 14
Review for Samsung D8000 series (overall rated 9.6 out of 10)

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Review for Sony HX929 series (overall rated 9.1 out of 10)

post #9 of 9 Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao; View Post

Review for Samsung D8000 series (overall rated 9.6 out of 10)

Review for Sony HX929 series (overall rated 9.1 out of 10)

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
Best 5 HDTVs 2011: Picture quality:

Sharp Elite Pro-X5FD (local dimming)
Panasonic TC-PVT30
Samnzung PND7000/8000
Sony XBR-HX929 (local dimming)
Panasonic TC-PST30
Samnzung UND8000 (edge lit)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version