New to LED - Looking for Help with Ghosting/Flashlighting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to LED TV's. I just purchased a Sharp 52" 830U yesterday from Best Buy. I've been reading this (and other) forums about LED's and ghosting. Very shorty after installing the 830U and dialing in the CNET settings I noticed some picture issues that look like ghosting and/or flashligthing. I took some pictures and wonder if this forum can help me know what I'm actually seeing - actual ghosting/flashlighting or normal LED display behavior. I do know that the panel was manufactured in November 2011 and has the most recent firmware. Clearly if there is an issue here I can go through the pain in the neck of exchanging for another unit at BB, but want to know what I'm dealing with here. Thanks for any guidance.

In image #1 you can see quite a few areas of ghosting. In image #2 you can see that there is either ghosting or light leak that extends from the top to the bottom of the screen on both the left and right sides of the screen.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to LED TV's. I just purchased a Sharp 52" 830U yesterday from Best Buy. I've been reading this (and other) forums about LED's and ghosting. Very shorty after installing the 830U and dialing in the CNET settings I noticed some picture issues that look like ghosting and/or flashligthing. I took some pictures and wonder if this forum can help me know what I'm actually seeing - actual ghosting/flashlighting or normal LED display behavior. I do know that the panel was manufactured in November 2011 and has the most recent firmware. Clearly if there is an issue here I can go through the pain in the neck of exchanging for another unit at BB, but want to know what I'm dealing with here. Thanks for any guidance.

In image #1 you can see quite a few areas of ghosting. In image #2 you can see that there is either ghosting or light leak that extends from the top to the bottom of the screen on both the left and right sides of the screen.

So dial back some of those settings. Some people on this forum just love to turn up brightness, contrast etc to test their TV. Then when they see some flashlighting or clouds, they complain and return the TV. This leads to an endless cycle. So just set the TV to your liking and see if those issues go away. Then enjoy it.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

So dial back some of those settings. Some people on this forum just love to turn up brightness, contrast etc to test their TV. Then when they see some flashlighting or clouds, they complain and return the TV. This leads to an endless cycle. So just set the TV to your liking and see if those issues go away. Then enjoy it.

Thanks for the reply. I think my settings are already dialed down to conservative levels - they are based on calibrated settings from CNET and an ISF guy:

Backlight: +4
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +1
post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

Thanks for the reply. I think my settings are already dialed down to conservative levels - they are based on calibrated settings from CNET and an ISF guy:

Backlight: +4
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +1

My TV's are Samsung and LG LED TV's. So I follow the Samsung D8000 thread. A number of people try the CNET settings and then decide they don't like them. I suggest you search for a thread with your exact TV and see if you can find some user based settings to try. You may very well have a defective TV. Just try some other settings first.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

My TV's are Samsung and LG LED TV's. So I follow the Samsung D8000 thread. A number of people try the CNET settings and then decide they don't like them. I suggest you search for a thread with your exact TV and see if you can find some user based settings to try. You may very well have a defective TV. Just try some other settings first.

FBlack, thanks for your reply. I will try other settings. The reason I'm using the CNET settings is because it was the calibration settings for the 60" version of the LED TV I purchased and the guys in my specific forum recommended using those.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Turn the OPC off if you haven't already--OPC is Sharpspeak for the feature that uses a roomlight sensor to turn the backlight up and down in response to ambient light.

To tone down flashighting or clouding--which you're calling "ghosting"--turn the backlight way down and brighten the screen with the contrast control. It's sort of a balancing act between the two controls. LCDs produce black by blocking light, the less light there is to block the more uniform dark screens will look.

Some non-uniformity is almost unavoidable and different people have different levels of tolerance. If you can't get this to your satisfaction try an exchange for one more sample of the same model (assuming you like it other than for this problem). If the second one is no better or worse try some other make/model. Although plasma has some characteristics some find unacceptable they do have far superior screen uniformity.

Finally, copying other's settings is a crapshoot at best. Not only are there variations between different samples of the same model set but different people have different ideas of what constitutes good pq and settings for different room lighting vary widely. There are several calibration discs available, most have voice-over tutorials to achieve the best settings for your particular set.

Steve S.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page