Official 4:4:4 / Chroma Subsampling Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #511 of 516 Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well I wondered doing dual display with same video card which will be a gtx 970. One using display port and telling it my old receiver than can't handle 4k as another. And having it set in windows the audio set to hdmi out. Now what really screws me if I end up with a bigger tv instead of the Seki 40 inch that has display port tvs dont have display port at all so then I'd be screwed totally audio wise, no video cards really have dual hdmi outs on them.

And I swear I remember reading once long time ago hdmi can't send signal with just audio, it must by spec send some video signal with it or it wont work. This whole thing is retarded, forcing entire upgrade of everything other wise some part of it gets screwed up quality wise. Beyond stupid.

I would probably be ok with the seki 40 inch but i fell thats its almost to small. I been using a 42 incher for gee 6 yrs now or more. I game its my HTPC I watch and do EVERYTHING via the pc no matter what it is. Music , movies , tv and games.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 516 Old 01-18-2016, 01:52 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I don't think using a DisplayPort and HDMI from a single GPU will work because even DisplayPort can support audio, and I don't think the GPU will know to output audio only over the HDMI (this is required if you don't want to be limited to what the TV accepts).
You actually can, and this is exactly what I'm doing. I have an older non-4K receiver, a 4K TV, and an HTPC with a GTX 960. I'm running an HDMI-to-HDMI cable from the GTX 960 directly into the TV for video, and a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable from the GTX 960 directly into the receiver for audio. In the Nvidia control panel I set the HMDI sound output to the TV to "Turn off". In the Windows sound devices manager I set the DisplayPort-to-HDMI sound output to the receiver as the default. That way I get native 4K video to the TV and all the HD audio formats bit-streamed to the receiver.

*All this may or may not work with Intel integrated video*

Henry
Vizio M70-C3, Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Synology DS1813+ & DX513
X-Rite i1Display Pro, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, madVR, HCFR
HTPC running Kodi with MPC-HC + madVR, Plex for remote streaming
post #513 of 516 Old 01-18-2016, 01:54 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Well I wondered doing dual display with same video card which will be a gtx 970. One using display port and telling it my old receiver than can't handle 4k as another. And having it set in windows the audio set to hdmi out. Now what really screws me if I end up with a bigger tv instead of the Seki 40 inch that has display port tvs dont have display port at all so then I'd be screwed totally audio wise, no video cards really have dual hdmi outs on them.

And I swear I remember reading once long time ago hdmi can't send signal with just audio, it must by spec send some video signal with it or it wont work. This whole thing is retarded, forcing entire upgrade of everything other wise some part of it gets screwed up quality wise. Beyond stupid.

I would probably be ok with the seki 40 inch but i fell thats its almost to small. I been using a 42 incher for gee 6 yrs now or more. I game its my HTPC I watch and do EVERYTHING via the pc no matter what it is. Music , movies , tv and games.
See my post right above this one...

Henry
Vizio M70-C3, Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Synology DS1813+ & DX513
X-Rite i1Display Pro, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, madVR, HCFR
HTPC running Kodi with MPC-HC + madVR, Plex for remote streaming
post #514 of 516 Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 256
@VBB , this is correct and should work flawlessly!
@hdtv00 , how far are you sitting from the set? 40" is great for a computer monitor but might be a bit (more than just a bit actually) small for a living room set-up.
post #515 of 516 Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Well I have it in my living room but its only say 3 ft from me. I wanted it bigger so when I sit across room on the couch maybe. But with it being 2 inches smaller than current display and 4k so basically 4 times smaller text and icons gee, that seems crazy.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #516 of 516 Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyaccordy View Post
I wound up getting a Vizio M55. I know it's only 4:2:2 but again I am not using this screen for anything but watching movies. Should get here Thursday. Hopefully it will turn things up. We are in Google Fiber territory too so hopefully that will enable more high res content.

How do you like it so far? That's a really nice TV for sure and one I had considered. Also, I hear square trade offers good warranty on the cheap for TV's. A consideration for that brand of TV as they have great panels, but suffer from build quality for the motherboard.

XBR55-X850C, Denon AVR-X3100W, Klipsch's Ref. RB600, RC500, Xbox One, HTPC - 3D Glasses Samsung SSG-5150GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv