Need help choosing tv for father - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello everyone. New to the forums here.

Looking for some recommendations for my father. He's looking for a 55" display in the $1000-1400 range. He's not looking for many features. Will be used for cable and blu-rays almost exclusively. No 3D needed. Doesn't need a facebook app, etc. WiFi would be nice but not a dealbreaker. He seems to prefer the look of Sonys and Samsungs but might be open to other suggestions. I'm an audio guy myself and my knowledge on tvs is limited to the one in my living room.

So what's out there? Deals to be had? I'm an amazon prime member, if that's worth anything in this search. Is there any important info I'm leaving out? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
I've been looking too and for a 55" I like the price and performance of the LG 55LK520. There are posting here for that line of TV. xxLK45o and XXLK520 I think. Very nice TV, and there is help here to get the settings correct for best picture and save energy by keeping settings low. Some have mentioned uneven lighting when first received, but it goes away after the screen settles in. Seems there is sometimes uneven pressure on it from shipping and storage before buying it. Otherwise, I'm about 905 going to buy it. Also looking at Sony, but too pricey for me, and Samsung and Panasonic seem to have lots of troubles this year.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

I've been looking too and for a 55" I like the price and performance of the LG 55LK520. There are posting here for that line of TV. xxLK45o and XXLK520 I think. Very nice TV, and there is help here to get the settings correct for best picture and save energy by keeping settings low. Some have mentioned uneven lighting when first received, but it goes away after the screen settles in. Seems there is sometimes uneven pressure on it from shipping and storage before buying it. Otherwise, I'm about 905 going to buy it. Also looking at Sony, but too pricey for me, and Samsung and Panasonic seem to have lots of troubles this year.

I have the previous year's version of that tv in 47" - I've been very satisfied with it. Especially considering the price.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Look for a deal on a top rated Samsung UN55D6000