The Official Sony KDL..EX620 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There doesn't seem to be an Official thread on this one so I thought I'd get one started. We got a KDL-55EX620 for Christmas for a very good price at Sears and I've been playing ever since. I upgraded from a Hitachi rear projection which has served me well for 7 years and I can say so far I'm very impressed. I started with the CNET settings for the EX 720 series, I understand they are the same panel, and went from there. The CNET settings were too dark.

My settings are below, still playing around with the Motionflow and Cinemotion. Looks like you can use one or the other, but when you have both on it starts to look over processed.

Most of your friends and neighbors will be impressed with the standard settings out of the box, but they are way too processed for my taste. I turned down the color and sharpness on it so I could stand it, but I like the more natural look.

A couple of things, I noticed turning off the light sensor made a huge difference; it really brought the picture to life once that was turned off. That may be an issue with my set, not all of them. Also, as always the source makes a huge difference on the settings. I have OTA HD, TW cable HD, MKV files from my DILA home network and HD-DVD and Blu-ray DVD. The blu-ray and hd-dvd both connected through HDMI and OTA are very similar and these are those settings.

I'll post more info on the DILA capability and Netfix as I tweak it more, but so far they looks very good and work well.

Home menu>Settings>Picture & Display

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Setting Memory: Current Input
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 5
Picture: 95
Brightness: 51
Color: 47
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: +2
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: -1
G-Bias: -1
B-Bias: -1

--Screen menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Screen Position: [grayed out]

--Pro Picture Setup menu--
[all settings default/Auto]

--Home Menu>Settings>Preferences--

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Eco menu--
Power Saving: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 AM

thanks! i got one during the holidays and i agree the presets look over-processed.

i'll give these settings a spin.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Not quite running for a hundred hours yet but close. Since the previous setting were just copied from Cnet and adjusted by eye, I thought I'd zero everything out and start over and see where I ended up.

This time I used the AVS HD 709 patterns. I did these settings is a dark room using a Sony BDP-BX57 and an HDMI connection.

Warm 1 was bring some red in the grey patterns and neutral did not seem to bring in any blue so that was changed

One tick over to green smoothed out the color pattern, and it looks pretty natural. It's good for now, but the color still isn't dialed in quite right. I'll need to spend some time in the White Balance to see what can be accomplished there

Brings sharp up to 41 was the clearest, cleanest look so far.

If had these setting for a couple of days and they seem better than before. Again I'm trying to get it as natural as possible and I think this goes a long way to achieving that

Picture: Max
Brightness: 49
Color: 51
Hue: G1
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 41
CineMotion: Off

--White Balance menu--
R-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

--Screen menu--

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Eco menu--
post #4 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
i didnt get too many replies when asking for setting for the 40" 523. I would think (hope) these panels would be similar. I have played very very little with the settings, mostly turning sharpness down and backlight down. I will try yours too.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 AM

Hey, I'm a proud new owner of an EX620 after returning the EX520 because of bad ghosting and flash lighting. I haven't had much time with it yet but it looks worlds better then the 520. I'm wondering if anyone has tested this set for input lag?

I'll try to post my settings after I play with it some more.
post #6 of 38 Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM

May someone please provide a general overview of the PIP and P&P functionality of the EX620/621? I'm on the verge of picking up the 55EX621 from costco, but the PIP and P&P functionality seems to be sparsely documented on the sony site and the internet. They make references to 'model' and 'region' limitations without providing specifics.

For example, can you have the PC connected to HDMI, and display the TV tuner simutaneously in a PIP window, and directly change the channels up/down? Is the PIP window sizeable?

Also, do you know if the optical output for audio can be set to output in PCM instead of Dolby Digital?

My current Samsung has these functions, but it is only 46" and would prefer to move to a 55".
post #7 of 38 Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Has anyone had an issue with their widget menu disappearing?

I got the 55ex621 2 weeks ago and recollect seeing the widget menu option when we first turned it on. I didn't mess with it, since I didn't have the network adapter yet, but when I finally got connected to the internet this past weekend, the TV updated and the widget menu disappeared.

Anyone have this issue or know where/how to turn them back on? I still have all the "internet video" applications available, but no widgets.
post #8 of 38 Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Stevo,

When you read the manual it sounds like any source can be used with another, but that's not the case.

Two different hdmi sources cannot be used at the same time and 2 non-hdmi sources can't be used at the same time. So for example if you are on TV as your main window, you can pick an hdmi source as your second window but not composite, component or PC connection. If you are on a hdmi source as your main window you can pick the non-hdmi, but not the PC connection.

If you connect a PC through the 15 pin connector, you can use pip only, with any other source, but the PC needs to be the main screen.

The P & P windows can be re-sized but not the pip window. The pip window can be moved to the 4 corners.

The optical out will pass through Dolby Digital. When streaming MKV files that are Dolby Digital or DTS, it outputs Dolby Digital. This may be a limitation of Sony or the Serviio software that I use to stream, I'm pretty sure it's a Sony limitation. Streamed aac flies from iTunes are output as PCM. When the source is OTA HD it outputs DD, when the source is BD or HD-DVD through hdmi it outputs PCM. There does not seem to be a setting that can default it to just output PCM
post #9 of 38 Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tconnors View Post

Stevo,

When you read the manual it sounds like any source can be used with another, but that's not the case.

Two different hdmi sources cannot be used at the same time and 2 non-hdmi sources can't be used at the same time. So for example if you are on TV as your main window, you can pick an hdmi source as your second window but not composite, component or PC connection. If you are on a hdmi source as your main window you can pick the non-hdmi, but not the PC connection.

If you connect a PC through the 15 pin connector, you can use pip only, with any other source, but the PC needs to be the main screen.

The P & P windows can be re-sized but not the pip window. The pip window can be moved to the 4 corners.

The optical out will pass through Dolby Digital. When streaming MKV files that are Dolby Digital or DTS, it outputs Dolby Digital. This may be a limitation of Sony or the Serviio software that I use to stream, I'm pretty sure it's a Sony limitation. Streamed aac flies from iTunes are output as PCM. When the source is OTA HD it outputs DD, when the source is BD or HD-DVD through hdmi it outputs PCM. There does not seem to be a setting that can default it to just output PCM

I really appreciate you taking the time to outline the behavior of the PIP, P&P and digital sound. This is a big help in terms of the decision making. Especially clarifying about the PCM output. I'm hoping to continue to use the WFS-2 DAC without the need of an additional DD decoder (just a 2ch stereo mancave).

Thanks!
post #10 of 38 Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 AM

Liked: 15
Does anybody knows if the 40' version of this tv has an S-PVA panel?
post #11 of 38 Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 AM

I have been looking at this model at my local Costco. I am replacing a Phillips 47" TV that I got at Costco a couple of years ago. Nothing wrong with the Phillips, moving it upstairs to the game room. Just wanting something bigger and newer for the family room.

I purchased the Sont HT-CTW550W soundbar for the family room in December and have been really pleased with the sound. So now that I am looking for a TV for that room I am leaning towards a Sony but not set in stone. I am trying to stay under $1300 as it seems that there is a big jump beyond that. Next step seems to start aroung $1800, not a lot in between.

Good picture quality is probably my biggest desire, but at the same time I know my price range will not buy the best. Other options such as 3D, wifi, internet, etc are not as important to me. Just don't like the glasses for 3D, active or passive. I have LAN connection right behind the TV. My Blu-Ray does all the interent stuff already.

The only issue I have had with my Phillips is that occassionally I have seen a small area do some flashing. Usually this is in an area where there is a lot of bright and a small dark area is located in there. Example - shot of the sky, bright and a single telephone pole sticks up into the area. It does not happen often and isn't even consistant. Playing the same scene doesn't mean it will happen again.

I have been looking for a couple of weeks just to see what is out there. Costco, Best Buy, Wal Mart and Sears. Prefer to buy local and bring home as opposed to online. Something about shipping a $1000 + TV makes me nervous. When I first started looking Sears had the EX720 on sale for $1599.99. I would be stretching a little to fit that in my budget and not sure if I would really use the extra features.

So any thoughts or opinions on this model are greatly appreciated.
post #12 of 38 Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

cmoses,

Sears had the ex620 for $300 less, that should fit your budget better. I wasn't interested in 3d and I'm hardwired for internet access, so I couldn't justify the ex720. From what I can find, the 620 and 720 are the same screen so the picture quality is pretty much the same.

The picture is very good in a bright room. My set is across the room from the bay window so daytime viewing was hard with my old set. This screen is not reflective, so it works very well in the day time, even on a bright day. For 1300 bucks, it's a great set.

Sears was out of them and my buddy had Walmart price mach it, so he got his there for the Sears price. Netflix and video streaming from a home computer also works very well if you're interested in those features.
post #13 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM

When I use the optical audio output from my TV to the AVR, I only ever get 48kHz LPCM decoded. Whether I feed in Dolby 5.1 over HDMI, or if I watch a live show with Dolby 5.1, I always get only LPCM

Is there an option somewhere to turn on Dolby 5.1 passthrough to the audio output.
post #14 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by train_depot View Post

When I use the optical audio output from my TV to the AVR, I only ever get 48kHz LPCM decoded. Whether I feed in Dolby 5.1 over HDMI, or if I watch a live show with Dolby 5.1, I always get only LPCM

Is there an option somewhere to turn on Dolby 5.1 passthrough to the audio output.

Do you have the "Speaker" option under the "Sound" options set to "Audio System"? On my 621 it passes 5.1 just fine ,but if it's set to "TV Speakers" it only passes PCM to my AVR.
post #15 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

ajn22 is right on that, you need to set it to audio system to get a 5.1 output. Also, if send HDMI signal, it will output PCM, not sure why. I'm sure someone here does
post #16 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Yep that fixed it. Not exactly obvious that "Speakers" set to "Audio System", means "don't downconvert 5.1 to LPCM"!!!
post #17 of 38 Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
thanks for the settings. they work fairly well on my 523 as well. i did tweak it a little to suit my taste.

I am especially thankful for these two:

It was driving me crazy outputting from the htpc. the under/overscan slider in the ati control panel was always fighting with the tv auto display area. Underscan by 3 notches was fine, but after playing video, desktop would be too big hiding half the start menu. raise it to no over scan, everything fine, next time it would be underscanned showing a black border everywhere. i didnt even know about this setting

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #18 of 38 Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM

I bought a 46ex620 about a month ago and absolutely love it. There is one issue with the panel though that drives me nuts. If I move only few degrees (less than 10, more like 5) off center the blacks start to develop a dark blue tinge. I'm aware that off-angle image deterioration is the norm for LCD technology, but the angle at which this happens on the SONY is extreme. In day light (or store display for that matter) the blue shift is barely noticeable, but once the lighting is lowered the effect is very visible and distracting. I'm starting to wonder if I got "lucky" with a bad panel as although all LCD panels I've seen in controlled environment exhibit blue tinge at some angle, none does it so close off center. I literally have to sit smack on center and should I shift my head an inch or so left or right one of the sides of the screen starts to get bluish. I even bought a Samsung UN46D6000 as possible replacement for the Sony but has its own flaws. The Samsung blue tinge is very minimal and comes really extreme angles, but the cheesy design, glossy screen and extreme flash lighting are a deal breaker. I turn to the community for feedback in effort to justify keeping my beloved EX620.
post #19 of 38 Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Doesn't sound right to me. I'd return it if you still can. With my set you need to be pretty far off angle before you get a bad picture. Much farther off angle than you would normally watch it
post #20 of 38 Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM

I was thinking the same thing until I almost bought an EX720. I thought higher model sure would be better , but after some comparing in the store I found that all Sony TV's they had on display which support Motionflow (EX620, EX720 and NX720) suffered from the same "blue" blacks when viewed slightly on angle. Interestingly enough the panel on the basic model EX520 had almost perfect blacks regardless of the angle; go figure. Unfortunately, exchange is not an option for me as it is discontinued where I bought it and probably pointless considering that the issue might be universal for faster Sony panels. By the way, I wouldn't say the off angle picture degradation is any worse than any other LCD I've had; it's the black shifting to blue that bothers me.
post #21 of 38 Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM

I picked up an EX620 few days ago..

Has anyone experienced any input lag?

It's very minor, but noticeable especially when playing MW3 multiplayer on PS3

I've done some googling, and people have said to turn on 'Game Mode', however I find that it makes the screen rather dim.

Also, I've tried the recommended settings in the first few posts of this thread, but find that the picture is rather dim/dark.

Does anyone else have these issues?

Thanks.
post #22 of 38 Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

marcster,

Did you try all the settings? I'm mostly referring to the power and light sensor settings, I had to turn them off before I got the picture to pop. I'm pretty sure the light sensor is on by default and you have to turn that off. Can't help on the PS3 I have a HTPC hooked by and there are no issues there
post #23 of 38 Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tconnors View Post

marcster,

Did you try all the settings? I'm mostly referring to the power and light sensor settings, I had to turn them off before I got the picture to pop. I'm pretty sure the light sensor is on by default and you have to turn that off. Can't help on the PS3 I have a HTPC hooked by and there are no issues there

On the default settings it was quite dark, however when I switched to 'vivid', the screen is noticeably brighter, but the colours are a little too saturated.

I don't recall seeing a 'light sensor' option, I'm at work right now, but I will take a look in the settings again when I'm home.

is it specifically called 'light sensor' on/off?

Thanks!
post #24 of 38 Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcster View Post

On the default settings it was quite dark, however when I switched to 'vivid', the screen is noticeably brighter, but the colours are a little too saturated.

I don't recall seeing a 'light sensor' option, I'm at work right now, but I will take a look in the settings again when I'm home.

is it specifically called 'light sensor' on/off?

Thanks!

Go line by line with all of these settings, you won't need or want to use vivid. It will take a little while, but once you do it, you should be very happy with the set

Picture: Max
Brightness: 49
Color: 51
Hue: G1
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 41
CineMotion: Off

--White Balance menu--
R-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

--Screen menu--

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Eco menu--
post #25 of 38 Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 PM

Tconnors,

Big thank you to you! Much appreciated,

I changed my settings to the above and everything is fantastic

Turning off the light sensor was KEY as my screen is no longer dim!!!

I wasn't even aware there was an Eco menu sub menu and i would have likely returned this tv set had I not found this thread.

I have also changed the scene mode to 'game mode' when playing mw3 on ps3 and it is back to normal.

Thanks again!
post #26 of 38 Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 AM

so it's been almost a week..

tv is fantastic, no complaints at all.

i updated the firmware and was pleasantly surprised they have 'high quality' youtube videos now!
post #27 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Hey all,

I just bought this TV recently (the 46") and have been noticing horrendous viewing angles. If I move my head an inch to the left or right the picture deteriorates. Basically, if I move my head to the right, the picture becomes washed out on the left, and vice versa. The picture is great head-on but I feel I shouldn't be losing quality just by viewing it from an inch left or right. It's not just blue-blacks as zorobg mentioned, but the picture loses color. I've got the TV about 10 to 15 inches from my couch. I have the ex621 if that matters. It's a great TV but this issue leaves me very concerned. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
post #28 of 38 Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 AM

I have the same model as you (46ex621) and yes, it does have a fairly narrow viewing angle compared to some other TVs, although mine is nowhere near as bad as your description. (Although I suspect your "10-15 inches" from your couch is a misprint.) We sit about 9' from the screen and, realistically, we have about a 30 degree viewing angle (from the center of the screen in each direction) before you notice any washing out of the image--that works out to just under 9' of viewing width and for our room that's enough. I would say that this is by far the worst feature of this television. However, I am really happy with everything else about it, particularly since it seems to suffer virtually non of the other lighting, ghosting or clouding ills so many people on this forum seem to experience with edge lit led screens.
post #29 of 38 Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Yeah I meant feet, not inches, sorry about the misprint. I'm also seeing some flashlighting when the screen goes dark, which isn't a huge deal, but it carries over to the image when there are darker scenes, which concerns me as well (not sure if this is what "clouding" is). I'm also noticing faint vertical bands when I pan across the screen. Not sure if this is a widespread problem with this TV or if I should return it. Anyone else notice any of these issues?
post #30 of 38 Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM

I have the 40ex620.. Mine doesn't exhibit any vertical banding, however when the screen is black I do notice light in the 4 corners of the tv...

First time owning an edge lit led, should I assume it's normal with these televisions?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page