help, TV reverting back to 5 day old settings!?! TCL L40FHDF12TA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Something very strange is going on with a new TV I just purchased (TCL L40FHDF12TA 40-Inch). Am at a complete loss & was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Every time I turn off the TV it loses *all* settings that were changed. Yes -- every single one. Picture settings, sound settings, input settings, etc... and worst of all, it doesn't even save the results of a channel scan!! Even tested the parental control (just out of curiosity), & it too gets reset as soon as the TV is shut off / turned on again.

But the really odd thing is, it's not reverting back to the factory defaults either. Instead it gets reset back to the exact state it was in about 3 days after I got it. (From Dec 27 or so).

For example: I had the TV speakers set to off then (factory default is on), so now I have to go into the menu & enable them each time I want to use them. The TV now turns on set to the "personal" picture setting. But with a sharpness setting of 0. ("personal" default was 50). And the TV always turns on to channel 71.2 no matter what. (for those curious, a free preview of NBA TV going away soon).

I've repeatedly gone into the menu & cleared all settings / rescanned channels / done a complete reset of everything. But no matter what I can't fix this. Have tried everything including leaving it unplugged overnight, stopping mid channel scan, updating the firmware, etc...

So, has anyone had a similar problem & found a fix for it? Or know how to enter the service menu? (not really sure how that would actually help, but completely out of ideas). Was trying to avoid having to exchange it, since it works perfectly except for the not saving settings.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Are you turning it off using the remote or are you removing the AC as you would using the switch on the power bar? If you are using the remote to turn it off IMO the unit is defective.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Liked: 32
Sounds like either it is user error, or the flashrom is bad on it. If you just purchased it, take it back to where you got it from, and exchange it. I would also file a ticket with the manufacturer, so that they can track this issue, in case others have the same behavior.

I just looked this manufacturer up, and personally I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole, due to I would personally consider them sub-par like Westinghouse. If you can afford something better like a Samsung or Sony, I would opt to go that way. You can get a decent 32" to 42" Sony these days for under $700.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

yes, I was turning it off using the remote.

Well the thing is I bought it mainly due to the price -- was only $259 with free next day shipping. But the picture quality was surprisingly not so bad. I looked at the back with a flashlight & saw it uses a Samsung panel.

Samsung LTA400HM09 --
(blah, don't have enough posts to put a link)

Hmm, so I guess I'll return or exchange it if I can't figure this out by Monday. I had really good luck with another sub-par brand that I ended up giving my parents (that one had a Sony panel for what it's worth).

EDIT: I make a kind of long, but detailed reply after dfp's post, but it hasn't shown up? Something about it needing to be approved or something. Guess it's since I'm new?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Often when you first turn on a TV it asks you whether you want it in Store Demo mode or Home Use. You should have checked Home Use. Store Demo resets settings every time you shut it off. Check your manual to get back to the initialization process, or unplug it for a few minutes then plug it back in and set it to Home Use.

Otherwise, some TVs allow you to change and save settings for each picture mode, such as Standard, Movie, Dynamic, Sports, etc. Maybe you changed the settings in one mode and now are watching a different mode and, of course, they are different. Similarly, some sets allow you to make and save settings by input port, such as HDMI1, HDMI2, Component1, AV1, etc. If you made changes while watching a blu ray, they won't be there when you switch to a cable box.

Finally, some sets only allow you to change settings in one picture mode, say Custom. You can go thru the motions in the other picture modes, but settings will not be saved for them. Hope it's one of these.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the advice. Unfortunately I've already tried all that. Since the problem started I've spent at least 10 actual hours going through every single menu option in every possible order over & over & over. Tried on every single input. (TV, 2 AV, S-video, 2 component, PC, & all 3 HDMI) Unplugged the TV, even overnight once. Redid all the initial setup. Yet nothing works... beyond frustrating.

I'm wondering if there isn't some undocumented button combination that locks settings? But the TV definitely isn't in any Store Demo Mode... (there's not even an explicit menu option for it)

Quote:

Finally, some sets only allow you to change settings in one picture mode, say Custom. You can go thru the motions in the other picture modes, but settings will not be saved for them. Hope it's one of these.

wish it was. anyway, on this TV if you make changes while in a preset mode it overwrites "Personal" mode. So if the TV is in "Cinematic" preset and you even turn down the contrast by 1, that's your new "Personal" setting. BTW, factory default mode is "ECO". But picture mode not being saved is just a minor annoyance. The big thing long-term is that channel scans aren't saved -_-

It's like Groundhog Day.
1. Ok, I turn on the TV, up comes cable channel 71.2, speaker turned off, 0 sharpness personal picture mode, input settings erased, etc, etc...
2. There's 2 reset options on the TV -- "Reset All", & "Reset Picture Settings". I do them both, on every input to be sure.
3. Do a rescan for cable channels, but cut it short. (erases channel memory while on at least)
4. I disconnect the cable, connect a UHF antenna, change the RF setting to Antenna, scan for channels. Turn on the speaker, make other minor tweaks. Watch an over the air broadcast.
5. Turn off TV & turn it back on... back to #1 (tuned to cable channel 71.2... & all cable channels, digital & analog, are back in memory!?!)

It's always back to #1. No other steps alter anything post shut-off in the slightest.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

What else is hooked up to it?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

at the moment, just an old Series 2 Tivo / DVD player to one of the component inputs, & a Motorola Comcast (SD) box on one of the AV inputs. Had a VGA cable connected too, but took it off on the slim chance that would make any difference.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Well, don't have any more ideas. Try contacting TCL:

http://www.tclusa.com/en-US/home.html

Why not consider a low end Samsung. Just checked and Best Buy has one on sale for $579:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=2126065
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, to give this some closure...
Ended up getting a replacement (same model) & the new one works perfectly. Absolutely none of the problems I outlined before.

Quote:

flashrom is bad on it

Yeah, looks like that was probably the case. Btw, On the replacement TV the "Reset All" menu option actually works!! After restarting it gives the option for home/retail, erases time zone & channel memory, etc. The old (defective) one did *none* of that after restarting.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM

I'd be curious to hear your continued impressions of the TV... considering this model myself.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Tcl L40fhdf12ta 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv With 2 Year Warranty
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page