LCD Checkerboard Effect Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About a month ago I got two new LCDs. One is connected to my PC through a VGA cable and the other is connected to my Xbox 360 through a VGA cable. Both screens seem to display a checkerboard pattern over moving images. On my 360 it is normally the entire screen when I am doing something fast paced in a game, and on my PC is it only on parts that are moving rapidly. Such as watching videos on YouTube or quickly scrolling through my tabs on Firefox. Either the pattern does not appear consistently or my eyes are not consistently picking it up.

Here are some images I found that demonstrate what I am seeing.

With effect:

Without effect:

I know very little about LCDs but from the research I have done it seems that there have been some other people that have ran into similar issues when connecting devices to LCDs through an S-video cable. Their solution seems to have been to replace the cable. I wanted to get some other opinions before I commit to buying new cables.

Is it possible that this is a "feature" of the monitors themselves? I just find it a little difficult to believe that I either got two monitors that are defective in the exact same way or two VGA cables that are defective in the exact same way.

Are there any tests I can run to find out what is causing this?

Are there any settings I might be able to adjust to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
i think you are seeing jaggies which can occur on diagonal lines from lower quality de-interlaceing algorithims. see:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_te...i=41088,00.asp
post #3 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I would agree with Walford. Just yesterday I had jaggies on my 60D8000 and attribute it to it being a rebroadcast rerun material through an HD channel that truly was not HD since changing the channel to other HD channels there was zero replication. No jaggies or stair stepping on other channels, BD material via HDMI and 360 via Component.

Why would an S-Video cable be needed/used today unless one is using a dinosaur legacy device? I'm not replicating your results unless broadcast "Source" content is compressed but of course I'm not using a PC or an S-Video with anything in my home where I have five LCD TV's or my Network where I have about a dozen LCD TV's and 600 or so LCD Monitors. I'd be looking at Walfords suggestion or your Video Card if other source content through digital means are not replicating the artifacts. With the PC your dealing with the Video Card and it's software/drivers and the TV can only take what it's given to try an creat a 1:1 result but you may have a case of Garbage in = Garbage out on a native fixed pixel display. BTW are these cheapo LCD Monitors or TV's? There is a difference between a $100 LCD Monitor and most quality LCD TV's.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #4 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not using S-video, the threads I found where people were experiencing a similar issue with S-video were a few years old. These are lower end monitors, normal $160 but I got them for cheaper during a sale. If it were only the monitor hooked up to my PC experiencing the issue then I would attribute it to my PC not being capable of outputing the correct resolution. But since the exact same thing also happens on my monitor hooked up to my 360, I feel like it is an issue with the monitors. I feel like it if was a garbage in garbage out issue that I would find a lot more people complaining about it with their 360s. That and I did not experience the issue with the cheap LCDs that used to be hooked up. The images I am finding for jaggies don't really look like what I am experiencing. The best way I can describe it other than the images is like a checkerboard, every other pixel seems to be darker, but it seems to be what it should be other than that.

Are there any tests I can run on the monitors to make sure they are functioning properly?

Do you think getting different monitors would fix this? If so, are there any you recommend?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's the native resolution of your monitors? Do a search on "screen door effect" and double check your game console and PC to see if it's output resolution matches your monitor.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. The screen door effect doesn't seem to be exactly what I am seeing. The spacing between pixels seems to be fine, it is just that every other pixel seems to go a few shades darker at times. It isn't there all of the time, just when a lot of movement is happening on the screen. I believe the native resolution is 1920 x 1080, I can double check when I get home.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just to confirm, the native resolution of the monitors is 1920 x 1080, which is the resolution both my PC and Xbox 360 are running at.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
what is the resolution of the content you are sending from the pc or ps3 at 1920x1080?
Is it lower resolution games or movies?
with the PC desktop set to 1920x1080 have you tried pc desktop applications?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Everything that doesn't move quickly looks fine, so applications look fine for the most part. The exception being web browsers when I scroll through the tabs quickly. I believe the content from the 360 is in 1080p, although I have seen that some games are upscaled from 720p.

I was trying to see if I could reproduce the behavior consistently last night and the only thing that seems to cause the effect is fast motion, but the effect doesn't seem to consistently present itself during fast motion.

After doing some more research into the screen door effect, I think that might be a possibility. I will try to adjust the focus when I get home and see if that helps at all, that has been the only "fix" I have read about for the screen door effect.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything else to try I would be grateful. If not, suggestions on new monitors would be helpful as well, since I don't plan on living with this effect.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page