Official LG 47LW5700/55LW5700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 311 Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, I would like a few people to look at this picture I took. Keep in mind its off a cellphone so its actually a lot brighter than in the image. Do any of you think I would be better off with another unit or perhaps the local dimming will solve this? - Thanks The picture that looks brighter is the top left corner of the tv to the top middle. The second picture is the bottom left hand corner. This second picture is dark but in reality that whole area is grey. Any input is appreciated. Not sure whether to return it or order a remote off ebay and pray enabling local dimming solves or at least decreases these massive light spots.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 311 Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 AM

It's amazing what's on the internet. Found this link
post #33 of 311 Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 AM

ImmenseBrick, I saw the pictures you posted and I do not have the amount of light bleed that you have. However, I do have some light bleed but it is very minor. I am not sure if the local dimming helped. It seems the same as it was before I made the changes to the service menu. I am also looking for light bleed on the sides and on the corners, If I see anything abnormal I will post it. I know you are going to get a little light bleed from edge lit LCD tv's, it's just the nature of the beast from what I heard from others here on this forum.
post #34 of 311 Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 AM

QuadraQ, are you experiencing any light bleed issues with your tv ??
post #35 of 311 Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks MJ, im going to go to the bestbuy today and check out the toshiba, might also look at a plasma, its a real shame but its driving me insane. I am hoping either to get a better pannel or diff tv.
post #36 of 311 Old 01-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Hey guys, just letting you know I returned the LG and got a sony 46NX720, while it is smaller, and is active shutter 3d (no glasses included) I decided to go for max colours and blacks. While I wont use the 3d, the 2d is amazing. Price wise it was the same as the 55LW5700, but in the end I am very happy with the change. I liked the LG and its 3d, but in the end my issues with massive clouding, blooming and light bleed just ruined the tv for me. Thanks again and best of luck.
post #37 of 311 Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM

I bought this TV a few days ago and I've been having a delay and no sound issue whenever I switch to my cable HD channels from SD. The only fix is to keep changing channels till the sound comes back. Sometime, the signal to the TV is lost for a few seconds when I go from SD to HD. I tried my older Sharp HDTV and it did not have this problem. This is really frustrating and I'm trying to see if anyone has suggestions before I return the TV to the store.
post #38 of 311 Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmenseBrick View Post

Hi there, I would like a few people to look at this picture I took. Keep in mind its off a cellphone so its actually a lot brighter than in the image. Do any of you think I would be better off with another unit or perhaps the local dimming will solve this? - Thanks The picture that looks brighter is the top left corner of the tv to the top middle. The second picture is the bottom left hand corner. This second picture is dark but in reality that whole area is grey. Any input is appreciated. Not sure whether to return it or order a remote off ebay and pray enabling local dimming solves or at least decreases these massive light spots.

That does seem a bit excessive. I usually watch in a bright room, but I can try to see what my results are like with a black screen in a dark room and report back. Since I have local dimming enabled I can try it with that on and off as well.
post #39 of 311 Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnad View Post

I bought this TV a few days ago and I've been having a delay and no sound issue whenever I switch to my cable HD channels from SD. The only fix is to keep changing channels till the sound comes back. Sometime, the signal to the TV is lost for a few seconds when I go from SD to HD. I tried my older Sharp HDTV and it did not have this problem. This is really frustrating and I'm trying to see if anyone has suggestions before I return the TV to the store.

In all of the reports like this I've seen, getting a new cable box (harder than it sounds) or replacing the HDMI cable solved it. Cable boxes tend to be kind of bad with their standards compliance, which can mean hit and miss compatibility. Personally I cut the cord years ago, so I don't have to deal with this sort of thing.
post #40 of 311 Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert18 View Post

once in the service menu does anyone know how to get back using the LG remote?

Here is what I did, I enetered the service menu, made the change and hit the back button on the LG remote. I then had to reenter the service menu again and make other changes. I made all changes this way, turned off the TV, turned it back on after 30 seconds and I now have the THX settings as well as local dimming. Interesting that when i went to turn on local dimming it was already set to 1. I'm not sure what that means.

Also the THX setting seem dark to me. Anyone else think so?

There should be two THX settings, one named THX Bright Room. Use that if you want accuracy with more brightness. That's become my favorite.
post #41 of 311 Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert18 View Post

It's amazing what's on the internet. Found this link

Nice! This interesting link was recently added to the LW5600 thread, and it explains how the passive 3D on LG sets works. A brief but informative read.
post #42 of 311 Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM

QuadraQ, THX Bright room is my favorite setting as well. Also, I think with the light bleed, etc... its a matter of the source picture. On some channels I notice a little bleed on others none. And that's on the dark or black screens.
I also notice especially with widescreen movies - the black bars on top and bottom. Do you know how to get the screen to adjust to different screen aspect ratios ? I can't seem to find a setting on this.
post #43 of 311 Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM

Looking for the best settings for football. Super Bowl coming up.

I do not have access to the service menu.
Seems like all the settings have "tru motion" , "super resolution ", "noise reduction" and "edge enhancer" turned off which seem like they would be important for viewing football.

Running off of Comcast 1080i.
post #44 of 311 Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM

So if you guys could have the LW5600 or LW5700 for the same price, is there any reason to take the 5700?
post #45 of 311 Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackaveli View Post

So if you guys could have the LW5600 or LW5700 for the same price, is there any reason to take the 5700?

Sounds to me that for the same $ the 5600 would be the one.
I say this as if you hack the 5700 you are getting 5600 features.

I will be trying the hack in the next few days with my Harmony.

We just bought the 55lw5700, So far my wife & I are enjoying.

Thanks to the thread originator & all who have added!
post #46 of 311 Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 AM

For the same price I'd go for the 5600. Are you seeing the 46" 5600 for $850 some where?
post #47 of 311 Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM

So after using the RCA universal remote (I just bought one at walmart) and programming the 5700 to work like a 5600, do you need the RCA remote any longer...I take it that once the tv is programmed, you can just use the LG provided remote control....is this correct??

And after programming it the 5600, do you still have to use the suggested "special" pre-sets for the monitor?....

Thanks,
tatkona
post #48 of 311 Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatkona View Post

So after using the RCA universal remote (I just bought one at walmart) and programming the 5700 to work like a 5600, do you need the RCA remote any longer...I take it that once the tv is programmed, you can just use the LG provided remote control....is this correct??

I would say you are correct, if you wanted to use the service menu again you would need the RCA.

And after programming it the 5600, do you still have to use the suggested "special" pre-sets for the monitor?....

Hopefully someone will answer this for you.

Thanks,
tatkona

How do you like the changes you made?
post #49 of 311 Old 01-24-2012, 04:15 PM

I am looking at the LG 55LW5700 at my local Costco. It is on sale through the end of the month for $1299.99, $400.00 of the normal $1699.99. I am also looking at the Sony KDL-55EX621. Unit will be going in my family room and I am looking for a 55" - 60" TV with PQ being the biggest selling point for me. Also trying to stay in the $1000 - $1200 range. The LG is a little out of my price range but has some additional features. It has 3D and Wifi. Not a big fan of 3D and the glasses and have a network connection where the TV will be so not big advantages for me. I am curious about the local dimming and THX settings that can be turned on with the hack. PQ being my biggest feature I am looking for. I would like to hear more these items and anyone else that has made the choice of the LG and your thoughts.

Thanks
post #50 of 311 Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM

I just bought an LG 55LW5700 at Costco and found the picture quality very good right out of the box and even more to my liking with some small video tweaks in the Home Menu.

But the main reason for this post is that when I try the Directtv 3d channels (thru HDMI 1) I only get the message "this program cannot be viewed because this TV is not 3D capable". Some of the previous posts in this forum indicated this TV should be able to view the Directtv 3d channels. Any suggestions? Thanks!

John
post #51 of 311 Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjcf1 View Post

I just bought an LG 55LW5700 at Costco and found the picture quality very good right out of the box and even more to my liking with some small video tweaks in the Home Menu.

But the main reason for this post is that when I try the Directtv 3d channels (thru HDMI 1) I only get the message "this program cannot be viewed because this TV is not 3D capable". Some of the previous posts in this forum indicated this TV should be able to view the Directtv 3d channels. Any suggestions? Thanks!

John

I have the 5600 and Directv's 3D channels are fine. The HR20 and the H20 STBs will not do 3D but they will switch them out for free if you need to. Don't know if that is your problem though. Hope you get the right answer.
post #52 of 311 Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Liked: 11
I want to change the optical "out" setting on the TV from "Stereo" to "DD 5.1." I know this can be c hanged in the service menu. Anyone know which items to change and the new values? This is on a LW5600.

Jim
post #53 of 311 Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I have the 5600 and Directv's 3D channels are fine. The HR20 and the H20 STBs will not do 3D but they will switch them out for free if you need to. Don't know if that is your problem though. Hope you get the right answer.

The DVR I'm connecting to is model HR24-200. Is this receiver known to be 3D capable? I'm also awaiting the arrival of a new high-speed HDMI cable from Monoprice, but I don't really think that will make a difference. If the problem is not solved with the new cable or some other suggestion I'll call DTV tech support and hope I get someone who really knows something about their 3D service(a real hit or miss proposition apparently according to comments in various forums).
post #54 of 311 Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM

I also bought mine at Costco for $1300...picture was a little dark and needed a color boost (out of the box) which I did thru home-picture settings...really nice picture now....HD really much, much better than my old plasma....it may be the high speed hdmi cable, tho...

Still trying to figure out if I should do the 5600 hack for the service menu....maybe, "if it ain't broke..." adage is appropriate here...

Like another writer, I had intermittent problems with no sound...had to turn off both remotes and futz with it before sound returned...it happened several times during that first day set up period...
post #55 of 311 Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
is it correct to assume that if you do any of the "hacks" in the service menu and you do a firmware update via usb, the "hacks" will stay in place? also, will having these things enabled in the service menu interfere with applying firmware updates?
post #56 of 311 Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

is it correct to assume that if you do any of the "hacks" in the service menu and you do a firmware update via usb, the "hacks" will stay in place? also, will having these things enabled in the service menu interfere with applying firmware updates?

According to what I've read on the 5600 thread, service menu changes do indeed 'stick' after firmware updates, and don't affect the set's ability to receive and process them.
post #57 of 311 Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
thanks for the info huntm856
post #58 of 311 Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 AM

ARC Issue on this TV :

Yamaha AMP (RX-V371) (ARC activated, default of AV4 for ARC)
HDMI cable from amp's HDMI out to TV's HDMI1 (ARC enabled port)
HMDI Cable from amp's HDMI2 to PVR.
HDMI cable from amp's HDMI3 to AppleTV
ARC configured on TV.

(Note saving amps HDMI1 for future bluray)

Turn TV on, antenna input on tv, AMP is on AV4 input, press simplink, get 'simplink device not found' message. Press home to get smart TV (what I want to send to amp really as dont watch any live TV), press simplink, get same message - 'simplink device not found'.

Now - If I turn on the PVR, change amp to HDMI2 for the PVR input, can see the PVR on the TV screen and THEN press the simplink, the amp changes to AV4 automatically and all is good then.

I can then flip between HDMI2 and AV4 on the amp and flip between the TV output and the PVR input as expected.

It seems that the ARC on the TV will not see the AMP unless it already has something sent from the AMP to it (like the PVR or the AppleTV ).

For example, I am watching a movie now via medai link, sound is coming from the amp all good. However if I turn off the PVR, then sound stops from the AMP.

In summary, TV must have AMP input before ARC works. If you purchased the amp and tv together, and have no other devices to input, as if you just want to output all sound from the TV to the amp, you could not as the amp must have another input going to the TV FIRST before simplink can be configured!

Please dont offer an optical cable solution, yep that would work, but my TV is wall mounted, built a new house and HDMI is run in the wall so just have the one cable (and an ethernet cable to the media server in the garage).

I purchased this amp as it was the cheapest upgrade from my other yamaha amp so I can get ARC. I never expected the smart Tv functions to be so good - i.e the plex media client built in - way better than the PVR DLNA solution as now I can fast forward.

Thanks.
post #59 of 311 Old 01-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA88 View Post

I think the service menu hack is worth it. It really wasn't that much trouble. The process is fairly simple. It just a matter of doing it. I had the feeling of the unknown fear that my tv would be bricked, but to my surprize, everything worked out good. Hey QuadraQ, I am glad it worked for you !!
THX settings are just spot on. Words can't describe the way the picture looks, maybe amazing ? Anyway, I am glad I can help.

I did the 5600 hack....the programming seemed to go okay....
Frankly, I don't see any improvement from the presets that I had set up myself starting from the presets from another poster....I had the tv on (watching the Australian Open) and was going thru the picture setup choices one by one and watching the screen as to how it affected it....I got it to the point of a nice clear and bright picture....

When I tried the THX choices, they were quite dark murky and noticeably inferior (to certainly, my tastes)....SO...I'm now recommending, BEFORE YOU DO THE 5600 HACK, to watch some HD program and go thru your pictures setup one by one and use your own judgement....each environment is different and a generic preset won't necessarily be good for your tv....

I also went thru the "PIcture Wizard" and set it up according to it's recommended settings and again went thru the picture setup and tweeked my picture again using my eye....it looks really good now...
post #60 of 311 Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

After applyng the EZ Menu hack and upgrading my firmware, all the options enabled through the EZ Menu stayed in place. One possible reason for this is that the LW5700 models use the same firmware as the LW5600 models and some others as well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Displays , Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p With Basic Accessory Kit 2 Hdmi Cables 1 Rgb Cable , 3d Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Smart Tv 55lw5700
Gear in this thread