Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 308 Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaymz View Post

I want to change the optical "out" setting on the TV from "Stereo" to "DD 5.1." I know this can be c hanged in the service menu. Anyone know which items to change and the new values? This is on a LW5600.

Jim

On the 5700 at least this was already enabled by default. If you have a Dobly Digital source it gets passed through the optical cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 308 Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatkona View Post

I did the 5600 hack....the programming seemed to go okay....
Frankly, I don't see any improvement from the presets that I had set up myself starting from the presets from another poster....I had the tv on (watching the Australian Open) and was going thru the picture setup choices one by one and watching the screen as to how it affected it....I got it to the point of a nice clear and bright picture....

When I tried the THX choices, they were quite dark murky and noticeably inferior (to certainly, my tastes)....SO...I'm now recommending, BEFORE YOU DO THE 5600 HACK, to watch some HD program and go thru your pictures setup one by one and use your own judgement....each environment is different and a generic preset won't necessarily be good for your tv....

I also went thru the "PIcture Wizard" and set it up according to it's recommended settings and again went thru the picture setup and tweeked my picture again using my eye....it looks really good now...

You are right that some adjustment may be necessary for your particular environment.

The THX choices are tuned to reproduce with as much accuracy as possible the NTSC/ATSC standard for video. The Bright Room varient tries to compensate for a bright room, while the original THX is designed for a dark room. Many people are shocked to find how much darker the NTSC/ATSC standard is from what they may be used to or even prefer. It is however more color accurate, and as close to what the original material actually looked like as possible.

Fortunately, the TV includes a good built-in picture wizard setup, that can help anyone achieve a reasonably accurate picture that they are happy with. For my room settings the THX bright room look excellent, but they do have the downside of being "locked". I'm glad you found a picture that your happy with.
post #63 of 308 Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM

First - thanks to all the posters. We love our 47LW5700. Decided on the 3D on a whim but we are really enjoying it.

Just a heads up. Just bought 10 pair of new Real 3d glasses on ebay for 8.99 with free shipping. They are listed as an auction but starting bid takes them for now and the guy has several ads.

Haven't tried the service menu yet - I am very curious about the DVR built in capability of this LG. NE1 tried it yet?
post #64 of 308 Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Just an add on note - best price I've found on real LG clip on glasses is at Adorama.

They are out of stock so they are selling them for 11.99 with free shipping when they come in.
post #65 of 308 Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysto View Post

Haven't tried the service menu yet - I am very curious about the DVR built in capability of this LG. NE1 tried it yet?

Did it on my 55LW5700 based on the instructions in the xxLW5600 thread. Works great, can pause and rewind live TV, and schedule recordings. It only seems to works for OTA programming (or at least the signal coming in through the coax), but it adds value to an already awesome piece of equipment.
post #66 of 308 Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM

will these settings work for the LGLW5300? just about identical to the 5600 though not a smart tv

thanks
post #67 of 308 Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM

So i bought a LG 47lw5700 yesterday, i love it, got the newest firmware, I had audio delay issues and my DVD player can't compensate for the huge audio delay. but when i run Optical to my amp, i only get left and right, no rears, no center, no sub. if i can't fix this, I'm going to take it back, but i don't want to... i see people say that 'DD 5.1 pass through' is on by default on this model, but i only get two channels of audio out of the optical output, and i do not find any options to change this. Speakers are off, I've changed audio output setting on my DVD player and BluRay player with no luck.
post #68 of 308 Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine156 View Post

So i bought a LG 47lw5700 yesterday, i love it, got the newest firmware, I had audio delay issues and my DVD player can't compensate for the huge audio delay. but when i run Optical to my amp, i only get left and right, no rears, no center, no sub. if i can't fix this, I'm going to take it back, but i don't want to... i see people say that 'DD 5.1 pass through' is on by default on this model, but i only get two channels of audio out of the optical output, and i do not find any options to change this. Speakers are off, I've changed audio output setting on my DVD player and BluRay player with no luck.

AS far as I know, the optical out is set to Stereo, not dd 5.1. You'll have to hack the service menu to change it.

Jim
post #69 of 308 Old 02-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaymz View Post

AS far as I know, the optical out is set to Stereo, not dd 5.1. You'll have to hack the service menu to change it.

Jim

thank you for the quick response

oh I had it backwards with the 5600, well since this voids my warranty, I guess I'll have to call Costco's Concierge service and see if they will allow me to do this without voiding my warranty, or it is going back...

I would put sound straight through amp, but some of my components do not have a audio delay setting, and my DVD player only has a 100 ms delay, and this is not enough. along with the horrible delay and non-pass through of more then 2 audio channels, i wish it didn't tell me that an input is now getting a signal... yeah I know that... because I turned it on... to eject the fü¢k!ng disk... i don't need my TV to tell me that and get in the way! Besides that I love it!

also, it just is a digital pass-through right, so i can pass 7.1 LPCM streams through it, correct?
post #70 of 308 Old 02-06-2012, 02:09 AM

I bought the 42LW5700 (42" version) in November for an awesome price of $689 during a Futureshop "afterhours sale".

Loving it so far. 3D has been great.
post #71 of 308 Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM

I bought the 55lw5700 on Sunday and had it mounted and watche the ota broadcast of the sb. I enabled the local dimming via the SM hack and it does make a difference when watching a movie with black bars.
I'm not worried about the hack jacking up the tv as the service manual from the training link shows it being built with the same components as the 5600.
I was ready to acquire a magic motion remote until I saw the lg remote app on the app store. I have both an iPad 2 and iPhone; using the touchpad pointed is awesome....I'd imagine it's better than the actual magic motion remote.

For a $1300 television I'm more than pleased.
post #72 of 308 Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM

(sorry, I found the 5600 thread first, but I'm hoping my post can stay in both places in hopes that I get a resolution!)

Help please!!

I have recently purchased the 47LW5700 from Costco. To be more specific, we have actually brought three of the same model home. Here's the issue:

We have a cable box and a regular Toshiba DVD player. Normally we connected the DVD player via HDMI and the cable box via component cables on our old DLP TV. I did the same connections on the back of the new LG TV.

Also, there are no external/extra speakers, only using the speakers on the TV itself.

Cable box came up worked fine, looked fine, sounded fine. Flipped to HDMI port 1 to look at the DVD player, color is "off" and there's no audio.

Swapped the cable connections so that the cable box was connected via HDMI and the DVD player was connected via component. Cable box now has the issue of blinking picture, and no audio. DVD player works fine through component cables, good video and audio.

I tried all 4 HDMI ports on the TV.

We got new HDMI Amazon basic cables. Same problem exists. We took the TV back to Costco (twice) same problem exists. I've talked to both Costco Concierge tech support and LG tech support. Neither have any suggestions other than to have a service tech come to my house. I thought it was a manufacturing defect but we purposely went to a different Costco the third time and got a TV from a different batch number. I am starting to have a hard time believing it's a defect and we picked up three TVs with the defect and no one else is having this problem.

I can't seem to find another person with this problem through web searching.

I'm really hoping one of you have a solution to this crazy mess!
post #73 of 308 Old 02-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Hi folks - I need help!

Just installed a 55LW5700 (from COSTCO). Integrated it with AV, with an in-coming at&t Cable STB (two-wire), via CAT-6 cable network at home. So wall-jack to STB via network cable. STB to TV via HDMI.

PROBLEM: Both 4:3 and 16:9 do NOT cover the screen....

What should I do to get full-screen display for broadcasts?

Thanks for your help....
post #74 of 308 Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM

The cable box has got to be HD ready. A standard cable box won't display hi-def full screen content. Check the input info on your TV and make sure you're getting, at least, 720p. Not 480i.
post #75 of 308 Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM

Either you have the wrong output on the cable box or you have a bad Hdmi out on the cable box.
post #76 of 308 Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmenseBrick View Post

Hi there, I would like a few people to look at this picture I took. Keep in mind its off a cellphone so its actually a lot brighter than in the image. Do any of you think I would be better off with another unit or perhaps the local dimming will solve this? - Thanks The picture that looks brighter is the top left corner of the tv to the top middle. The second picture is the bottom left hand corner. This second picture is dark but in reality that whole area is grey. Any input is appreciated. Not sure whether to return it or order a remote off ebay and pray enabling local dimming solves or at least decreases these massive light spots.

That is normal without local dimming. These sets use an IPS which has poorer black levels than VA panels but has much better off center viewing angles, better contrast and better color reproduction. So to get around the poorer black levels, LG uses local dimming.

Without local dimming this set has very poor black levels that wash out the picture. I would not buy a LED LCD without local dimming. However Samsung can get the same black levels without local dimming but their panels have a lot of other problems where the LG trumps them.

I believe the IPS panel TV were designed to use local dimming as all of these sets have local dimming including the LW5300. The LW5700 is the only that doesn't, most likely to reach the price points of the sams clubs, costco and other big box stores.

LED LCD have clouding problems for sure. Both mine and my father in laws has it, but with local dimming enable, it alleviates the clouding and gives a perfectly black picture.

IMO, without local dimming, a CCFL LCD would be a higher performer. You destroy contrast, pop, and wash out the picture with poor black levels.

For the same price, you can get the LW5600 but you'l have to shop. When I bought mine from HH greg, it's normal selling price was cheaper than Costco.

You can enable dimming but you gamble when doing so, the risk for a few bucks saved is your choice.

Good luck.
post #77 of 308 Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM

I have fixed my Delay issues, was 'gaming' mode, gaming mode puts a huge delay in the video...

I would still like to know if the optical out passes DTS, PCM and DD6.1 from HDMI if I enable the 'dd5.1' in the service menu
post #78 of 308 Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Can someone tell me how to enable the optical to output DD 5.1? Is it in the service menu? Which option?
post #79 of 308 Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA88 View Post

QuadraQ, thanks alot !! I think overall I am happy with the purchase at Costco, and I did get the extended warranty with it. I just have more piece of mind with that!! Anyway, I can help you out with accessing the service menu on the 55lw5700. However, the previous post about the Smart tv features and all the various inputs have me overwhelmed for now. So I can not answer some of those questions, sorry. Now back to accessing the service menu.... Start by getting an RCA universal remote model no. RCR312WR. I got it from Walmart for $8 dollars. Then you have to hold the "tv" button while you type in this code = 11265. After that I pressed the "Guide"
button and a pop up appears asking for a 4-digit passcode. That passcode is = 0413. And now the service menu will appear on the left side of the tv with a bunch of numbers and options. Now which options and settings that are safe I do not know. I do know which ones are to turn the Local dimming on and to turn on all the THX picture settings. Here goes, Option 1 goto>tool>change to lw56. This will fool the set into thinking it is now an LW5600. Next, Option 2 goto>localdim menu=1 (This turns on the menu item).
Finally, Option 4 local dimming = 1. This is to turn on the local dimming, basically changing the lw5700 into a lw5600. To turn on the THX settings =
Option 3 THX = 1. Go to Option 6 3d THX = 1. Now you have turned on the THX settings. For safety and not to corrupt the firmware, after any change exit the menu, wait 10 seconds or so, power off the TV and wait 20 to 30 seconds then power the TV back on. This should change your set in the lw5600 and added the THX options. PLEASE NOTE: I am not responsible for anybody bricking their TV sets !! This just my from my personal experience.
This did work for me and the THX video choices are awesome !! You will get two 2d THX picture choices "THX Cinema" and "THX Bright Room". You get one 3d "THX 3d Cinema". These settings are noticably better than C'nets calibration and other presets in my opinion. I hope this helps some people, but like I said I am not responsible for anyone's TV if they decide to change ALOT of stuff in the service menu. Anymore questions about this, let me know. Thanks again, to all in this forum for helping me obtain a very nice 3d HDTV !!

Have been ready to pull the trigger on the 5600 or 6500 for about 6 months and have been trying to get the budget in order; then I ran into the 5700 at a the local warehouse store 2 days ago. Although we have a brightly lit room for most viewing, I like to watch movies in a dark room; from what I have read, the "local dimming" sounds like it is a must have for me. Was on the phone with a LG tech this morning trying to see if they would confirm or deny the ability for an authorized technician to enable "local dimming" from the service menu of the 5700. After being put on hold 3 times, the tech finally came back with a "no". This "tech" was polite but seemed more like a "gate-keeper" in that department than someone that actually works with repair centers. I guess I should not be surprised by the answer since it is probably a marketing tool to explain why the big box stores charge several hundred dollars more for the 5600. I thought if I mentioned that I was hiring a tech to do a professional calibration anyway, that they would confirm that he/she would have the ability to enable the "local dimming".

Are you guys sure that all the 5700's available out there (US market) have this ability if I gain access to the service menu as QuadraQ (thanks for starting this companion thread to the 5600/6500 one!) & MJA88 have so graciously shared info on? I hate to have to wait for several more months to buy the 5600 when the 5700 could be made into the same performing set....money is tighter than usual and I ultimately need to invest in updating my receiver and tv/component stand as well.

Thanks in advance for any input
post #80 of 308 Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM

What are the settings and values for changing the optical output from stereo to DD 5.1?

Jim
post #81 of 308 Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatnut View Post

Have been ready to pull the trigger on the 5600 or 6500 for about 6 months and have been trying to get the budget in order; then I ran into the 5700 at a the local warehouse store 2 days ago. Although we have a brightly lit room for most viewing, I like to watch movies in a dark room; from what I have read, the "local dimming" sounds like it is a must have for me. Was on the phone with a LG tech this morning trying to see if they would confirm or deny the ability for an authorized technician to enable "local dimming" from the service menu of the 5700. After being put on hold 3 times, the tech finally came back with a "no". This "tech" was polite but seemed more like a "gate-keeper" in that department than someone that actually works with repair centers. I guess I should not be surprised by the answer since it is probably a marketing tool to explain why the big box stores charge several hundred dollars more for the 5600. I thought if I mentioned that I was hiring a tech to do a professional calibration anyway, that they would confirm that he/she would have the ability to enable the "local dimming".

Are you guys sure that all the 5700's available out there (US market) have this ability if I gain access to the service menu as QuadraQ (thanks for starting this companion thread to the 5600/6500 one!) & MJA88 have so graciously shared info on? I hate to have to wait for several more months to buy the 5600 when the 5700 could be made into the same performing set....money is tighter than usual and I ultimately need to invest in updating my receiver and tv/component stand as well.

Thanks in advance for any input

I purchased the set from Costco Monday night and activated local dimming with no issues. I can tell the difference in dark blank screens right away. When the set first turns on or switches inputs you can see a fair amount of flashlighting. Once a picture comes on the screen even if it is a all black picture you can see the flashlighting disappear. There is still some flashlighting I can see on the black bars in widescreen movies but it comes and goes depending with what is on screen. Before activating the local dimming in the service menu the flashlighting was to much to watch. I would have returned the set the next day if not for the local dimming. I had three main reasons for wanting to get the 5700 set from Costco. 1. 90 days no questions asked return policy, I currently own 2 plasma sets and just wasn't sure if I was going to like a lCD set. 2. Free 2 year warranty extension. 3. I like the bezel better on the 5700 better than the 5600(personal choice). I posted links to the service manuals earlier and the sets are identical board for board. The only difference in the manual is that the 5700 does not have the pages for the magic remote. If it turns out that you don't feel comfortable in the service menu or you don't think it worked then you can always return it.
post #82 of 308 Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM

New member here, I looked around and didn’t find the answer so if I missed it I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

I have a LG 47 LW5700 via wireless connection and I’m wondering if there’s a way in increase buffering memory in the TV? Example I can stream video to any of my pc’s/laptops at home via router and it plays fine because of buffering memory but I can’t not with the LG. I know I could increase ISP connection and that should work, but I’m looking to see if there’s an alternative that doesn’t drive my monthly bill up. BTW it’s not possible for me to make a direct connection to router as it’s not in the same room and the line run would come out very fugly, so I must stay wireless. Also does anyone know the recommended download speed from ISP?

BTW thanks for this thread, it's been very helpful

Edit: Rather than double posting, I have another question. I changed all my settings to what was recommended in post #1 from this thread, thank you it looks much better. The only setting I could not change was my aspect ratio, when I go down to "just scan" it skips past it, is there another setting I need to change first?
post #83 of 308 Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine156 View Post

I have fixed my Delay issues, was 'gaming' mode, gaming mode puts a huge delay in the video...

I am not sure how that would make sense; usually game mode reduces delays. Game modes turn off the extra motion software that LEDs use to make fast moving scenes smoother, but at the same time that smoothing software would delay the picture a little. This becomes a problem for some games, especially first person shooters that require quick timing.
post #84 of 308 Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

New member here, I looked around and didn't find the answer so if I missed it I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

I have a LG 47 LW5700 via wireless connection and I'm wondering if there's a way in increase buffering memory in the TV? Example I can stream video to any of my pc's/laptops at home via router and it plays fine because of buffering memory but I can't not with the LG. I know I could increase IPS connection and that should work, but I'm looking to see if there's an alternative that doesn't drive my monthly bill up. BTW it's not possible for me to make a direct connection to router as it's not in the same room and the line run would come out very fugly, so I must stay wireless. Also does anyone know the recommended download speed from ISP?

Edit: Rather than double posting, I have another question. I changed all my settings to what was recommended in post #1 from this thread, thank you it looks much better. The only setting I could not change was my aspect ratio, when I go down to "just scan" it skips past it, is there another setting I need to change first?

Sounds like your problems are from using the wireless media hub. They had a statement in the manual saying some media will not work with the wireless hub.
post #85 of 308 Old 02-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

Sounds like your problems are from using the wireless media hub. They had a statement in the manual saying some media will not work with the wireless hub.

OldSchoolMETAL thanks for the reply, I’m still very new to this and I’m assuming you are speaking about the Wireless Media Box1 (AN-WL100W)? I don’t have one, so I am connecting via Wireless LAN for Broadband/DLNA Adaptor (AN-WF100) via the USB port. I am connected fine but the issue is the TV itself does not buffer enough video so it will frequently stop. This is why I asked, from what I've read there's no way to increase any memory to allow more buffering like a computer does, so I guess I'll have to pony up for a faster dsl connection eventually. Does anyone know what speeds are required to avoid my stopping issue?

Also on my second question regarding aspect ratio (I’m unable to choose “just scan” as it’s grayed out), I have still been unable to find a solution. Could it be that this is only available if I do the hidden Service Menu hack?
post #86 of 308 Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

New member here, I looked around and didn't find the answer so if I missed it I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

I have a LG 47 LW5700 via wireless connection and I'm wondering if there's a way in increase buffering memory in the TV? Example I can stream video to any of my pc's/laptops at home via router and it plays fine because of buffering memory but I can't not with the LG. I know I could increase ISP connection and that should work, but I'm looking to see if there's an alternative that doesn't drive my monthly bill up. BTW it's not possible for me to make a direct connection to router as it's not in the same room and the line run would come out very fugly, so I must stay wireless. Also does anyone know the recommended download speed from ISP?

To my knowledge there isn't a way to increase the buffering on the TV. If it works on your laptop PC, though, I don't think increasing your ISP download speed it the issue. What kind of router are you using and what type of wireless connection? To be frank, wireless and video don't tend to like eachother. My experience is that a wired connection is always better. One possibility is to use a powerline adapter to create a physical connection to your router. They support 200 Mb + speeds nowadays and can be a good solution for those who can't run wires.

I believe "Just Scan" is only available for digital connections for one thing. In the older versions of the firmware, I think you had to have a 1080p signal as well, although that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.
post #87 of 308 Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the reply QuadraQ, I didn't think there was any way to increase memory on the TV to affect buffering but thought I'd ask just in case. I would agree that a wired connection is always better but I've been doing it wirelessly on laptop for a long time now and it works fine, must be the TV's limitation. I'm currently using a dual band Netgear router and it can stream video to two or three laptops simultaneously without issues. Guess I'll have to figure a way to move my router closer to the TV to test a direct connection as I do have a few free ports available. Thanks again for the thread

If I understand you right, I guess my direct TV is not a digital connection, guess I'll have to check on that as I know it's not available for selection if I'm running a blu ray disk or avi files from thumb drive via the usb port either and AFAIK they're digital.
post #88 of 308 Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Hi All,

So I spontaneously purchased the 5700 super bowl weekend at Costco and love it. Was quite the upgrade from my old 47" Samsung rear projection.

I found this forum the day after my purchase and added all the THX and local dimming options pretty easily with my Xbox Harmony remote (I hope this remote lasts forever!) but now was wondering if anyone had more details on the other options you can turn on in the Service menu?

I intend to turn on the DVR mode once I purchase another ext. hard drive but I was particularly wondering what Dual Control or Voice Read does in the Tool Option 2 menu. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
post #89 of 308 Old 02-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoungts View Post

I am not sure how that would make sense; usually game mode reduces delays. Game modes turn off the extra motion software that LEDs use to make fast moving scenes smoother, but at the same time that smoothing software would delay the picture a little. This becomes a problem for some games, especially first person shooters that require quick timing.

Yeah I Know, but I was going crazy trying to syncing the audio to the video, until I shut off gaming mode... now it is all fine... when gaming mode is enabled, I can hear the audio over 2 seconds before I see the video... when i was playing games in gaming mode, I'd just die constantly...
post #90 of 308 Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Hi to all,

Im from the Philippines and im planning to buy the 42lw5700 next week! so here is my question i read in the xxlw5600 section that the lw5700 asian version has the local dimming already set to default, is that legit? coz some websites claim thats its edge-lit some says its back-lit? i saw this at - cnet asia - asia.cnet.com/crave/lg-expands-its-cinema-3d-tv-range-62114002.htm - claiming it has local dimming?

I'm getting this set for 1500$ with HB806TM Home Theater (promo),wifi dongle and magic motion remote included for me its kinda a sweet deal? isn't it?

this set will be used for 40% movies,40% gaming (ps3) and 20% SD..

PS : how will i reduce the motion lag with this set? i read a review in amazon with the lw5300 model (i think same board and concept also) which helps you lessen the motion lag? (i cannot put the link because they think i am a spammer "just search the lw5300 in amazon ") hope you can help me with my upcoming problems, Thank you in advance..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Displays , Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p With Basic Accessory Kit 2 Hdmi Cables 1 Rgb Cable , 3d Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Smart Tv 55lw5700
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page