Official LG 47LW5700/55LW5700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 306 Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I just edited my post at the same time you responded....I need to get myself a universal remote.

Thanks again.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 306 Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post

Thanks. I just edited my post at the same time you responded....I need to get myself a universal remote.

Thanks again.

I just sent you a PM.

I posted the following in the LG 5600 thread and realized people from this thread might be able to chime in on this too. Click here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21977291
post #183 of 306 Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks ;-)

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #184 of 306 Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Hi guys can anybody guide me how to use the lg service menu explorer from android market. I don't want to stock in the middle of the operation and brick my 47lw5700 because it still under warranty. Is there any different in using the remote control compare to the application that's in the android market? Will appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.....
post #185 of 306 Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:

OK despite resetting the TV several times I couldn't get rid of the sluggish Home screen which never quite seemed to totally load most times I tried it, so I got onto the LG Support Live Chat.
Mike P. at Support told me that "We are currently working on this slight issue" indicating that 4.03.01 has a problem so I would advise people to avoid it for now.
He told me that it was easy to revert to the previous software version, which I wasn't even aware could be done.
Call up Home and go to Setup, then the Option screen (the one with briefcase or toolbox with a spanner on it) and click 9 seven times. The software will revert instantly and reboot the set.
That's very useful to remember and I can vouch that it works.
I assume that it or the next update will eventually appear on the download page at Support when the problems, whatever they are, are ironed out. It explains why 4.03.01 still isn't showing on their support page.
Hope this helps someone.

I. LOVE. YOU.

I have been having this problem for the past week or so and had no idea what was causing the problem. After several attempts to bring up "Media Center" with no luck, I began cursing the LG brand while scanning the web for any help. I found my way to this thread, followed your advice, and now have a working television again. I registered just so I could thank you personally.
post #186 of 306 Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 AM

Glad you spotted that 'fix'. Surprisingly some people got the update and found no issues, but the fact that the update never appeared on LG's download page, for the US/Canada at least, was enough to tell me that they'd done a boo-boo with that particular update and the comment from online chat rep confirmed that theory. I had stupidly allowed the update to come in using the network which took hours even on my high-speed connection and of course like anyone else, believed the 'update is available' notice when I checked in the Setup menu without checking the website first.

It happens with all software/hardware from time to time.

Next time I will wait until the update is published online before doing it and I will always use the USB flash drive method.

P.S. It's been so long since I heard 'I love you' - thank you for that ;-)

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #187 of 306 Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Update 4.03.02 is out and is OK.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #188 of 306 Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:

Update 4.03.02 is out and is OK.

does it support dts now?
post #189 of 306 Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketty_yijun View Post

does it support dts now?

Not sure, where exactly would I look? Note: I don't use the TV's sound at all.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #190 of 306 Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 AM

if you play a mkv file with dts sound, it will show you not supported sound. but ac3 is ok.

by the way, i get into service menu with a linux program lgremote. i can't find 3d thx. and on factory menu 1. there is an option 1. local dimming download [Start]. i don't know if i need to download the local dimming first because i can't see any difference between local dimming on or off.
post #191 of 306 Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 AM

That's the wrong service menu - the In_Start one. For these adjustments you need the EZ_Menu. Read the earlier posts on that.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #192 of 306 Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 PM

I may be going nuts, but I swear on thx bright room with local dimming set to high, the picture looks darker and not as detailed after the latest firmware update. Anyone else notice this?
post #193 of 306 Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Chaulk it up to me going nuts lol. Must have been the channel I was watching. I put in a few blu rays to check and it was fine...
post #194 of 306 Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM

It depends on what setting one prefers as the normal one and of course that will vary with a person's personal preferences, ambient light in the room being used, whether or not a person wears glasses, etc. etc.. THX is slightly darker for me too.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #195 of 306 Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 AM

Its fine, I love thx bright room. My concern was I thought the new update made the TV darker. Ends up it was probably the source I was watching. Thanks
post #196 of 306 Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 AM

Good. I'm still in two minds about my preferences. I'm glad I have the extra choices now.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #197 of 306 Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 AM

I've had the TV for a few months and I did the hacks day one. I also, just to see the differences, put in the cnet and isf settings posted here and in my opinion the thx settings are better.
post #198 of 306 Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Just a note from the calibration links posted in the first post.

In my settings > Expert Control Menu, Real Cinema is also greyed out, and off by the way. Not sure why that is as my HT input is 1080p.

Edit: Ignore...it comes on automatically when 1080p/24p is detected, as in playing a Blu-ray disk etc.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #199 of 306 Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Liked: 11
Hey fellow LG 5700 owners.

I got this set about 80 days ago. For entirety of this time, except for vacations, whenever I have had a free moment, I have been tweaking the calibrations. To say I was obsessive would be an understatement. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But like a mad scientist working on a secret recipe, I finally have settled on a calibration that makes everything look like eye candy, at least to me. I've used this forum extensively as a troller, both pre-purchase, and post-purchase, and so I figured it was time to give as well as I get. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this 'secret recipe' if you try out. The one variable I would say is the brightness. I have it here at 55, but occasionally, I drop it down to 51, and even 49. Regardless, after fiddling with hundreds of combinations, this is what I've got. Hope you enjoy:

Aspect Ration: Just Scan
Energy Saving: off
Expert 1
Backlight: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
H Sharpness: 70
V Sharpness: 70
Color: 64
Tint: 0

Expert settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Noise Reduction: High
Mpeg: High
Super Res: On
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: High
Color Filter: Off
Color Temp: Medium
Gamma: 2.2
Method: 2 points
Pattern: Outer
ALL COLOR SETTINGS: 0
True Motion: Off of course!

Enjoy!
post #200 of 306 Old 05-12-2012, 04:59 AM

It really is personal choice and the optimum settings for you most likely will vary widely with those for someone else.

I tried the ISF calibration settings outlined in the links in post #1 and all I can say is, people must be watching TV in a blacked-out environment as both are very dark. I would get severe eyestrain watching things at those settings.

I had to click the restore defaults button to get rid of them and then re-do my own.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #201 of 306 Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 AM

I would encourage anyone who thinks they have a fantastic calibration to post it. I've benefited tremendously from other posts, and perhaps new owners of the TV would likewise benefit.

Sure, it's a subjective choice to a certain degree, but there is also an objective element to a picture the pops off the screen. People know a good picture when they see one.
post #202 of 306 Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 AM

Well I simply use my Spears and Munsil calibration disk that came with my Oppo to give me optimum viewing and in my case had to do very little in the way of adjustments.

It will depend on each person's viewing environment and personal preferences of course.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #203 of 306 Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Awesome! Post the calibrations for us so we can check them out. After all, why wouldn't you???
post #204 of 306 Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch10777 View Post

Awesome! Post the calibrations for us so we can check them out. After all, why wouldn't you???

+1 share with us.... Sorry I try the calibration of glitch10777 but too strong in m taste....
post #205 of 306 Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:

I assume you meant me. I had to reset because of those calibrations taken from post #1 so have yet to redo it. I must have been the lucky one because if I recall correctly hardly anything needed adjusting from the defaults anyway. I think I altered color temperature to medium, that's all.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #206 of 306 Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Hey fellow LG 5700 owners.

I got this set about 80 days ago. For entirety of this time, except for vacations, whenever I have had a free moment, I have been tweaking the calibrations. To say I was obsessive would be an understatement. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But like a mad scientist working on a secret recipe, I finally have settled on a calibration that makes everything look like eye candy, at least to me. I've used this forum extensively as a troller, both pre-purchase, and post-purchase, and so I figured it was time to give as well as I get. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this 'secret recipe' if you try out. The one variable I would say is the brightness. I have it here at 55, but occasionally, I drop it down to 51, and even 49. Regardless, after fiddling with hundreds of combinations, this is what I've got. Hope you enjoy:

Aspect Ration: Just Scan
Energy Saving: off
Expert 1
Backlight: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
H Sharpness: 70
V Sharpness: 70
Color: 64
Tint: 0

Expert settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Noise Reduction: High
Mpeg: High
Super Res: On
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: High
Color Filter: Off
Color Temp: Medium
Gamma: 2.2
Method: 2 points
Pattern: Outer
ALL COLOR SETTINGS: 0
True Motion: Off of course!

Enjoy!

Backlight and contrast at 100 is a little extreme.
post #207 of 306 Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymayeshere View Post

Did you do the menu hack on your TV? Are you the only owner of the TV or did you buy it used or refurbished? Also what country are you from? Maybe in different countries this model comes with local dimming on by default?

I bought mine from Tiger Direct (the refurbished deal going on right now). I bought an RCA remote to hack the menu and it was quite simple! If you'd like to have my remote I'd gladly sell it to you (I have no other use for it now). Send me a PM if you are interested. I'll even give you the instructions I used to unlock some of the options. Cheers.

I have not experienced this. I have the latest firmware update. What firmware are you using?

Can you guys tell me what accessories come with the refurbished tv from tigerdirect? I have mine comes with a stand and four screws, one remote with two dead batteries inside, one cleaning cloth, one disk and one user manual. No 3d glasses, no composite gender cable, no component gender cable and no wifi adapter. The packing is very poor. It's more like open box or missing parts product. It shouldn't be stated as refurbished tv. I bought a refurbished apple tv from amazon. From packing to product, everything looks like brand new except there is a lable stated refurbished. I want to know if all you guys got the same thing as I did. Thanks.
post #208 of 306 Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I downloaded the latest software, 4.03.02, and wanted to know what, if any, differences there are from the prior one? Anyone note any improvements or new features? TIA
post #209 of 306 Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delio View Post

Hi guys can anybody guide me how to use the lg service menu explorer from android market. I don't want to stock in the middle of the operation and brick my 47lw5700 because it still under warranty. Is there any different in using the remote control compare to the application that's in the android market? Will appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.....

any one???
post #210 of 306 Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Delio,
It's the same as using the remote. I used it for my TV and had no problems.

use the code 0413 to access the menu's.

and use this gude as a reference if you like.

http://blog.workingsi.com/2012/02/ha...lw5700-tv.html
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Displays , Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p With Basic Accessory Kit 2 Hdmi Cables 1 Rgb Cable , 3d Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Smart Tv 55lw5700
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page