Official LG 47LW5700/55LW5700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 306 Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is already a massive thread aimed at xxLW5600 owners but the xxLW5700 sets can also benefit from some of that info because these sets are very similar. At the same time, I wanted to post some info aimed specifically at owner's of the xxLW5700 sets (like myself) to make it easier to find. Hopefully my own experience and the information I've scraped from this massive thread will prove to be helpful.

OK here's some info about the 47LW5700. This model is mostly sold through Costco, Sam's, and from what I can gather Canada. It's nearly identical to the 47LW5600 model which is sold everywhere else. The differences are basically three things: 1) The 5600 model comes with the magic motion remote - the 5700 does not, although if bought seperately it's supposed to work with it. 2) The bezels are slightly different. 3) The 5600 firmware has the Local Dimming option turned on and the 5700 does not.

Let me explain #3 a bit more. Local dimming is a technique where the little LED bulbs that are around the edge of the screen are turned down or even off intelligently so as to increase the quality of black levels and contrast ratio. Of the three differences above this is the only one that actually matters. The funny thing is that these two sets are so similiar that it's possible to turn on the feature by accessing the hidden Service Menu that all LG TV's have. There are lot's of tutorials like this one on how to do that, but don't do it unless you're willing to risk the potential problems that go with it.

The following calibration info comes from this massive thread about the xxLW5600 line of TV's and most xxLW5700 owners can also use the info here because of the extreme similarity of the sets. Just keep in mind that Local Dimming isn't available unless you go through the service menu hack, so in the calibration settings that follow ignore that option.

The first calibration was done by an ISF professional, and I recommend using it for the Expert1 and Game presets. It's great for games and some TV shows also look very good with it. (Again ignore Local Dimming).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2405

The second calibration is the one I use most of the time for movies and a lot of TV content that was also shot on film. I use it on the Expert2 preset. It comes from CNET originally.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2343

At the bottom you'll notice some slightly different numbers for use with Local Dimming off - Go through the entire set of options above first, and then use those bottom numbers to finish it. Since the xxLW5700 doesn't have that feature, those numbers are better for our use.

Finally, I would suggest adjusting the brightness for both of these to match your room conditions. I have a brighter room than they did for these calibrations so I needed to bump up the brightness a bit for both of them. If you have any recent Pixar films on DVD or Blu-ray they usually include a THX optimizer with some basic test patterns that can help dial that sort of thing in. (I know The Incredibles DVD has it in the Settings menu.)

If you play video games at all don't forget to use the game mode to eliminate any lag issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 306 Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 PM

QuadraQ: +1.
Thanks for starting this thread for LG xxLW5700 to 'rectify' the 'step-child complex' from a number of 'internet sites', such as - this forum, the big river, etc.

Many years of lurking, first posting.

On 12/18/11, I bought my 55LW5700 from COSTCO with the deep discount; cash-n-carry, self set up - all smooth sailing - no unexpected side issues. Very light, under 50 lbs.
I just enjoy this unit out-of-the-box, as is, all default settings from the factory. So far, with average 6-hour+ daily use x 14 days, no problems at all. And I am not looking/ examining for physical flaws, such as dead pixels/ cloudiness/ even dark level/ etc on this unit. Very impressive 'passive 3d', especially the easy 2d to 3d conversion, on the 'LG remote controller'. This is a keeper, unless something bad happens before the 89th day.
I watch the news, sports events, movies, and YouTube. No video games. The hook ups are:
1) Verizon FiOS HD set top box (no DVR) 'HDMI 1' for HDTV channels.
2) USB for photo viewing.
3) Panasonic BDT215- 'HDMI2' for DVD and YouTube. Wireless to Verizon FiOS router.
4) Internet wired to a Verizon FiOS router. [Network firmware has been updated to
version 04.02.28 from 04.01.36 (factory shipped). The update took 15 minutes wired to Verizon FiOS internet speed 5/15 mbps.]
5) Magic Motion Remote (from big river), occupied 'USB1-to be shared with photo viewing USB flash drive'. After 2 weeks of use, still trying to figure out the REAL benefit of this Magic Motion Remote. May be LG has under delivered. Costco buyer is sharp!
6) Indirectly included in this 'home theater set up': Harman Kardon AVR430 (10yr old):
(When using 5.1 surround, turn down TV speaker volume to 1)
(a) optical to FiOS HD set top box,
(b) RCA (audio red/white wires) to Panasonic BDT215.

My question is:
How to stop the 'auto run/ play' of the 'Arrow Knee - a cartoon story' when I click on 'YouTube' on the LG LW5700 Smart TV screen?
Is there a 'check box' to turn off this auto run/play feature?
post #3 of 306 Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM

I am recently torn between the two models offered 55lw5700 and the 55lw5600. I am very new to the LCD/LED tech. I own two Plasma sets that I like alot. I also LOVE 3d and when they announced "Passive 3d" I was excited. Finally they have come out with polarization 3d for HDTV's. I also have been researching and reading many forums on this LG model. Most comments have been good to great, but the bad ones have been really bad. Seems like a hit or miss on getting a good panel. I could pick up the 55lw5700 model at costco anytime I want, but cautious I will get a bad panel ? How is the Picture Quality on the 55lw5700 ? I was in Costco last week I was a little impressed by the picture. Viewing it in my own home is another story. Also is local dimming that big of a deal ?
post #4 of 306 Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA88 View Post

I am recently torn between the two models offered 55lw5700 and the 55lw5600. I am very new to the LCD/LED tech. I own two Plasma sets that I like alot. I also LOVE 3d and when they announced "Passive 3d" I was excited. Finally they have come out with polarization 3d for HDTV's. I also have been researching and reading many forums on this LG model. Most comments have been good to great, but the bad ones have been really bad. Seems like a hit or miss on getting a good panel. I could pick up the 55lw5700 model at costco anytime I want, but cautious I will get a bad panel ? How is the Picture Quality on the 55lw5700 ? I was in Costco last week I was a little impressed by the picture. Viewing it in my own home is another story. Also is local dimming that big of a deal ?

Honestly both sets are great. The Costco sold LW5700 sets do have the advantage of the free two year warranty with Costco's Concierge service, and a cheap extended warranty option for full coverage for a total of 5 years. That's what swayed me to buy the LW5700 frankly. Also if you do run into a bad set with serious edge bleeding or something you can always take it back for another one, or have them service it.

I can say that I don't think local dimming is a make or break issue IF you are going to watch in a normally lit room, and aren't super picky about black levels.

On the other hand if you watch in a dark room much of time, the LW5600 (or even a full LED grid array model) might be a better choice.

BTW, DON'T let the way the set looks at Costco sway you. All the TV's at Costco are overly bright and uncalibrated. Frankly they all look pretty bad compared to what they can do when properly set up. You really have to take it home and set it up to see what it can do.
post #5 of 306 Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have my money saved and ready to pull the trigger.
I have direct tv and ready for 3d programming. Just need the 3d HDTV to complete the deal. Also, I too like that Costco offers the warranty, etc..
I know you mentioned about hacking into the hidden service menu to get the "local dimming option" and turning it into a lw5600. Also I read you can turn on the THX options as well ? You also mention that there is a risk by doing this. What risks or problems are involved ? Have people had problems with the TV after it has been hacked ? Just curious.
post #6 of 306 Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I have my money saved and ready to pull the trigger.
I have direct tv and ready for 3d programming. Just need the 3d HDTV to complete the deal. Also, I too like that Costco offers the warranty, etc..
I know you mentioned about hacking into the hidden service menu to get the "local dimming option" and turning it into a lw5600. Also I read you can turn on the THX options as well ? You also mention that there is a risk by doing this. What risks or problems are involved ? Have people had problems with the TV after it has been hacked ? Just curious.

Actually I'd like to know what the risks are too! LOL

As sad as it is I don't have a universal remote handy to try it myself. You are correct that the THX options are also available from the service menu. From what I've read there is a risk of corrupting the firmware, and like anything advanced, you need to feel confident enough that if something does go wrong you'll be able to correct it. I thought I read somewhere that you can reset the firmware with a button on the mainboard, but that requires taking off the back of the TV.
post #7 of 306 Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
if you access service menu and input wrong settings, or even access wrong submenu you can brick your TV and in theory that is not covered by warranty. Some settings can make Tv unstable as well. On the other hand if you follow instructions of people who did it and know their stuff to the letter you should be fine. I'm trying to find recovery methods, just in case and have very hard time to find it and those I found are rather complicated. Where did you see this reset button recovery? I have not seen it yet and I looked in many places, to be ready just in case since I want to experiment with service menu more than I did so far.
post #8 of 306 Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM

just a quick note...props to QuadraQ and lots of thanks for all the helpful information.

btw...anyone purchase the extended warranty on this set from costco?
post #9 of 306 Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguia23 View Post

just a quick note...props to QuadraQ and lots of thanks for all the helpful information.

btw...anyone purchase the extended warranty on this set from costco?

You're welcome, and yes I bought the extended warranty. $60 for three more years after Costco's coverage ends is well worth it in my opinion.
post #10 of 306 Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am looking at the LG 55LW5700 at Costco since it is the MAX width I can Take at 50.6 inches. The 55LW5600 is 50.9 inches, both figures are from the LG web site. A difference of 0.3 inches is tiny but I can not move the walls. All the reviews I can find are for the LW5600 so I am wondering if they would change much with no local dimming.
PS getting into the service menue is above my pay scale.
post #11 of 306 Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj55 View Post

I am looking at the LG 55LW5700 at Costco since it is the MAX width I can Take at 50.6 inches. The 55LW5600 is 50.9 inches, both figures are from the LG web site. A difference of 0.3 inches is tiny but I can not move the walls. All the reviews I can find are for the LW5600 so I am wondering if they would change much with no local dimming.
PS getting into the service menue is above my pay scale.

I say go for the 55LW5700. Since it's Costco if it didn't fit for some reason, or you're not happy with it you can take it back without a problem. The Local Dimming is not something I'm missing.
post #12 of 306 Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 AM

Hello Everyone, I finally pulled the trigger on the LG 55LW5700 !! and a panasonic 3d blu ray player to go with it. I have to say I am impressed with the picture quality. I think it MIGHT be better than my samsung plasma. I was very skeptical of led/lcd technology, but this tv changed my mind. I have only had the tv for two days, but the 2d picture is excellent as well as the 3d picture. I have viewed the 3d channels on direct tv and they are excellent, but 3d blu ray is the best. I watched A Christmas Carol last night for about 15 min. I was blown away. The picture was so crisp and clear and the 3d was perfect. I saw this in the theaters, and this is about the same as it was in the theaters. The 2d to 3d conversion is just ok. It's not real 3d and I knew that before purchasing the tv. I have owned the Shutter glasses/Frame sequential systems for years that played with the old CRT tube type tv's. This passive (polarization) technology is far better than the active. That's my personal opinion. My eye's feel better and I don't get that weird motion sickness from the active/shutter stuff. If anyone has any questions on the 55lw5700 I will try to answer them the best I can. Lastly, yesterday I did hack into the hidden service menu and added all the goodies to the LG 55lw5700. All I have to say is that it worked, and it's worth it.
post #13 of 306 Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Have my 55LW5700 for 3 weeks, and updating my experience. All positive, and pleasant but one - the LG Smart TV : YouTube default screen has an 'auto-play/run of a random story residing on YouTube' prior to the user making any selection input.
QUESTION A: How to disable/turn off this 'auto play/run feature' of the YouTube on LG? (The Panasonic 3D Blue Ray DVD Player YouTube default screen is the 'normal YouTube default screen'.)

1. The LG Magic Motion Remote (MMR) point-n-click feature helps a great deal in 'typing' such as YouTube titles. Thus, I consider MMR a desirable 'buy'.

2. Since the 'MMR sensor' takes up the 'USB 1' port, I am using 'wired' hook up for internet access, and not the provided LG wireless finger.

QUESTION B....Is a Y connector (LG MMR sensor and LG wireless finger into the USB1 port) a workable solution? Or Is a 'powered USB multiple input box' preferred?

3. Adopted one of QuadraQ's calibrations. Great picture. Thanks.

4. QUESTION C. What are some of the goodies in the hidden service menu?

5. Purchased, and registered, the extended warranty on this set from COSTCO.

Enjoying the calibrated pictures, as well as the 2d to 3d passive feature. No problems with the FiOS TV and internet services. Wish could experience 'the 3d channels on direct TV' as MJA88 wrote. I'll play some Blue Ray 3D DVD on my Panasonic BDT215 via HDMI.
post #14 of 306 Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Lastly, yesterday I did hack into the hidden service menu and added all the goodies to the LG 55lw5700. All I have to say is that it worked, and it's worth it.

Hey really glad you're happy with the TV, and welcome to the club!

If you don't mind I'd like to know a bit more about your experience with the service menu. How did you access it? What settings are you using? etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious.
post #15 of 306 Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 AM

QuadraQ, thanks alot !! I think overall I am happy with the purchase at Costco, and I did get the extended warranty with it. I just have more piece of mind with that!! Anyway, I can help you out with accessing the service menu on the 55lw5700. However, the previous post about the Smart tv features and all the various inputs have me overwhelmed for now. So I can not answer some of those questions, sorry. Now back to accessing the service menu.... Start by getting an RCA universal remote model no. RCR312WR. I got it from Walmart for $8 dollars. Then you have to hold the "tv" button while you type in this code = 11265. After that I pressed the "Guide"
button and a pop up appears asking for a 4-digit passcode. That passcode is = 0413. And now the service menu will appear on the left side of the tv with a bunch of numbers and options. Now which options and settings that are safe I do not know. I do know which ones are to turn the Local dimming on and to turn on all the THX picture settings. Here goes, Option 1 goto>tool>change to lw56. This will fool the set into thinking it is now an LW5600. Next, Option 2 goto>localdim menu=1 (This turns on the menu item).
Finally, Option 4 local dimming = 1. This is to turn on the local dimming, basically changing the lw5700 into a lw5600. To turn on the THX settings =
Option 3 THX = 1. Go to Option 6 3d THX = 1. Now you have turned on the THX settings. For safety and not to corrupt the firmware, after any change exit the menu, wait 10 seconds or so, power off the TV and wait 20 to 30 seconds then power the TV back on. This should change your set in the lw5600 and added the THX options. PLEASE NOTE: I am not responsible for anybody bricking their TV sets !! This just my from my personal experience.
This did work for me and the THX video choices are awesome !! You will get two 2d THX picture choices "THX Cinema" and "THX Bright Room". You get one 3d "THX 3d Cinema". These settings are noticably better than C'nets calibration and other presets in my opinion. I hope this helps some people, but like I said I am not responsible for anyone's TV if they decide to change ALOT of stuff in the service menu. Anymore questions about this, let me know. Thanks again, to all in this forum for helping me obtain a very nice 3d HDTV !!
post #16 of 306 Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM

I did not answer the questions on what the "goodies" are in the service menu.
They are the THX picture modes and the local dimming enabled. There is a DVR function that I will not touch and a few others I can't remember. sorry.
I am going to try out the smart tv stuff tonight, try a few Aps. Some people mention there are free ones, which ones are free ? I did attach the USB wireless dongle that came with the set and it works. It's a little slow, because I updated my firmware to latest version.
post #17 of 306 Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM

MJA88...did you say to save every time you make a change? so for example, enable local dimming, save. then enable THX, then save. is that what you meant?

also, did you apply the new FW after enabling and making changes with the hidden service menu? what version do you have running right now? 4.02.62?
post #18 of 306 Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 AM

Deguia23, No I made all those changes, and then saved. After all the changes total I then waited 10 seconds, and then powered off the tv, I even unplugged it to make sure all the power was off. Waited 20 to 30 seconds and then plugged the tv back in, powered it up and looked for all the changes I made, and they were there. Also, after all the changes made make sure you get out of the service menu, wait 10 seconds and then power off.
This is what I did, from my experience. I also updated firmware before I went to the service menu. I think the firmware version is the one you mention.
post #19 of 306 Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

QuadraQ, thanks alot !! I think overall I am happy with the purchase at Costco, and I did get the extended warranty with it. I just have more piece of mind with that!! Anyway, I can help you out with accessing the service menu on the 55lw5700. However, the previous post about the Smart tv features and all the various inputs have me overwhelmed for now. So I can not answer some of those questions, sorry. Now back to accessing the service menu.... Start by getting an RCA universal remote model no. RCR312WR. I got it from Walmart for $8 dollars. Then you have to hold the "tv" button while you type in this code = 11265. After that I pressed the "Guide"
button and a pop up appears asking for a 4-digit passcode. That passcode is = 0413. And now the service menu will appear on the left side of the tv with a bunch of numbers and options. Now which options and settings that are safe I do not know. I do know which ones are to turn the Local dimming on and to turn on all the THX picture settings. Here goes, Option 1 goto>tool>change to lw56. This will fool the set into thinking it is now an LW5600. Next, Option 2 goto>localdim menu=1 (This turns on the menu item).
Finally, Option 4 local dimming = 1. This is to turn on the local dimming, basically changing the lw5700 into a lw5600. To turn on the THX settings =
Option 3 THX = 1. Go to Option 6 3d THX = 1. Now you have turned on the THX settings. For safety and not to corrupt the firmware, after any change exit the menu, wait 10 seconds or so, power off the TV and wait 20 to 30 seconds then power the TV back on. This should change your set in the lw5600 and added the THX options. PLEASE NOTE: I am not responsible for anybody bricking their TV sets !! This just my from my personal experience.
This did work for me and the THX video choices are awesome !! You will get two 2d THX picture choices "THX Cinema" and "THX Bright Room". You get one 3d "THX 3d Cinema". These settings are noticably better than C'nets calibration and other presets in my opinion. I hope this helps some people, but like I said I am not responsible for anyone's TV if they decide to change ALOT of stuff in the service menu. Anymore questions about this, let me know. Thanks again, to all in this forum for helping me obtain a very nice 3d HDTV !!

Hey great post! I was able to pick up that exact remote at Wal-Mart for about $8 as well. Used your instructions to turn on the THX modes and the local dimming. (Just goes to show that we can all learn from each other.) I didn't know how to get back (turns out you press the guide button again) so I just did the wait 10s, turn off, wait 30s trick each time and don't seem to have any trouble. I also turned on the ISF mode, although it doesn't seem to do anything except put the ISF logo on the Expert 1 and Expert 2 presets in the menu.

I agree that the THX modes are extremely good, and probably better than the CNET settings. (Although remember that once you turn on local dimming and set it to high, you also need to tweak some of the CNET settings to match.)

I remember listening to a Home Theater Geeks podcast where the guys from THX explained how they work with the manufactures to get those settings in there. I believe that one of the reasons they look as good as they do is that they are changing settings that otherwise we wouldn't have access to. You'll notice that once you select THX you can't tweak them (unlike all the other presets) - the only options you can control for picture are the TrueMotion settings, Aspect Ratio setting, and the Local Dimming (which you should set to High).

For the record I'm on the 04.02.28 firmware version. I did notice that when I check for update it tells me none is available, however I thought there was a newer version released recently?
post #20 of 306 Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 AM

This scares me... Is it worth the effort?
post #21 of 306 Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 AM

I think the service menu hack is worth it. It really wasn't that much trouble. The process is fairly simple. It just a matter of doing it. I had the feeling of the unknown fear that my tv would be bricked, but to my surprize, everything worked out good. Hey QuadraQ, I am glad it worked for you !!
THX settings are just spot on. Words can't describe the way the picture looks, maybe amazing ? Anyway, I am glad I can help.
post #22 of 306 Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM

ok...i'm buying the RCA remote and enabling the service menu. After reading about the options available, i must have it. wish me luck.

the 4.02.62 FW code is available via the lg.com website. have to download manually to a flash drive and update that way. compared to enabling the service menu, this upgrade should be way easier. ;-)
post #23 of 306 Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Good Luck !! and post your results.
post #24 of 306 Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi there, I got an LG LW5700 about 2 weeks ago. I have been going crazy over some lovely light bleed in the bottom left hand corner(mainly), I massaged the other corners which helped reduce the very bright spots. I have been trying to access the service menu with no luck. I have an RCA remote but it is the CR350 model and I cant find the suggested 312 model anywhere (I am in canada). Has anyone else found another way to enter the service menu to enable local dimming? I hope I can enable the local dimming to help with this issue when watching dark movies. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it has really helped me out!
post #25 of 306 Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM

I want to experiment with service menu more than I did so far.

post #26 of 306 Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 AM

Immensebrick, here is some info the RCA remotes I found = RCA remotes This is for the following models: RCR3273N, RCR3283N, RCR412SN, RCR412BN, RCR4383N, RCR4258N, RCR4358N, RCR4373N, RCR4383N, RCR461, RCR612N, RCR473N, RCR812N, RCR815N and will probably enable ez_adjust menu only.

Procedure 1.enter setup code 11265,
2.hit the GUIDE button

I got this from another website. If this does not help, I suggest buying the right RCA remote from amazon. It's pretty cheap.
post #27 of 306 Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Hi MJA88, thanks for the heads up. I was wondering in your experience how the local dimming helps with the light levels. As I mentioned I have a ruthless spotlight or light bleed (not sure what the difference is) on the screen. I was watching start trek on bluray last night and the damn ratio black bars make the light issues stand out. I am not sure if the local dimming will solve this problem, or if this is perhaps worth a return to bestbuy and try another panel? I know most edge lit tv's have this problem but it is has to know what is normal and what is excessive. When I get home from work I may snap a photo and get your thoughts. I also looked at the toshiba 55TL515U screen, but ive heard mixed reviews on that unit as well. I just want an Organic LED screen to solve these problems. Too bad I dont have like $10k to spend on a screen :P. Thanks
post #28 of 306 Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM

I saw this on youtube today
http://youtu.be/GE2baLOcCKk

It looks like he's using some universale remote to access the menus. I'm wondering if I could use my harmony to access the menus...
post #29 of 306 Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Alright I got in with my harmony following these instructions. I haven't changed anything yet but will get there eventually

http://harmonylghack.wikispaces.com/
post #30 of 306 Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 PM

once in the service menu does anyone know how to get back using the LG remote?

Here is what I did, I enetered the service menu, made the change and hit the back button on the LG remote. I then had to reenter the service menu again and make other changes. I made all changes this way, turned off the TV, turned it back on after 30 seconds and I now have the THX settings as well as local dimming. Interesting that when i went to turn on local dimming it was already set to 1. I'm not sure what that means.

Also the THX setting seem dark to me. Anyone else think so?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Displays , Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p With Basic Accessory Kit 2 Hdmi Cables 1 Rgb Cable , 3d Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Smart Tv 55lw5700
Gear in this thread - 55lw5600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page