Sony, really? SMH - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after Sony's top execs swear up and down that my HX929 is as good as it gets, a guy in the HX929 forum posts photos of his 55" on a grey screen. Let's compare...

Mine...

His...

The sample I've provided is EXACTLY how the color looks in-person. Both techs who came out to evaluate it both said that was unacceptable, but it was Sony's tech department who denied their repair requests after seeing photos of the color shift. I wouldn't be upset if everyone's HX929's had this defect, but the fact I've been stuck with a faulty set and their only resolution is to refund my money is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Shame on you Sony, shame on you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Why doesn't your "Sony" have a Sony logo at the bottom like his? Why does your "Sony" bezel look so much different from his? I just looked on the Sony website and his looks like a 929 but yours doesn't. Methinks there is something foul afoot.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Why doesn't your "Sony" have a Sony logo at the bottom like his? Why does your "Sony" bezel look so much different from his? I just looked on the Sony website and his looks like a 929 but yours doesn't. Methinks there is something foul afoot.

Happy New Year, Sherlock! Man, that 15/20 vision sure comes in handy!
post #4 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 15
Funny. I was at a BB store and there was a 46' hx929 that had this same dirty looking screen as this one. It wasvery noticeable in a white background. Shame on Sony for selling a TV with this annoyance. Whats more funny is that the BB salesperson swore there was nothing wrong with the TV and that it was normal.
@boilerjim, whats up with the conspiracy theory? Why someone would post something like this if it werent true. Im pretty sure the Sony logo does not appear because of the lighting in the room and also the distance the picture was taken was clearly nit the same for the sony logo to be visible.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

Funny. I was at a BB store and there was a 46' hx929 that had this same dirty looking screen as this one. It wasvery noticeable in a white background. Shame on Sony for selling a TV with this annoyance. Whats more funny is that the BB salesperson swore there was nothing wrong with the TV and that it was normal.
@boilerjim, whats up with the conspiracy theory? Why someone would post something like this if it werent true. Im pretty sure the Sony logo does not appear because of the lighting in the room and also the distance the picture was taken was clearly nit the same for the sony logo to be visible.

Of course you may be correct, but if the lighting in the room were that bad, perhaps it would also exacerbate the perceived seriousness of the defect. He certainly has a problem and I think we can all see that. However, Sony offered him a solution weeks ago that would make him whole, but he refused to accept it. So, he continues his Sony bashing.

As for BB salesmen, that a "whole nother" story.

And, Happy New Year to you also, Hugh ole buddy!!!
post #6 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Just in case you haven't been following this thread for a while, check out msg #17 and you will see where Jim comes from...
post #7 of 36 Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM

I stand corrected Mr. Jim, my apologies. Stevedensmore, take it from me. If Sony is willing to give you you're money back, take it and leave it at that. Just wait until the new sets come out in february or march and see if there is another one that you like. No point in complaining if you're getting you're money back. Be happy that you didn't lose it.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

They're offering to give back the $1,300 I gave them to replace a defect rear projection television. How is that going to afford an equivalent television? Is it my fault their quality control standards on their flagship model are incredibly poor? Why are people so quick to take Sony's side? I can't wrap my mind around this.

Bottom line, they should have sent me a non-defective HX929 to replace a recalled, already defective television.
post #9 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

They're offering to give back the $1,300 I gave them to replace a defect rear projection television. How is that going to afford an equivalent television? Is it my fault their quality control standards on their flagship model are incredibly poor? Why are people so quick to take Sony's side? I can't wrap my mind around this.

Bottom line, they should have sent me a non-defective HX929 to replace a recalled, already defective television.

Come on Steve, tell everybody the WHOLE story. They offered you back your $1,300 AND also offered to fix your old TV at no charge.

What else do you want them to do, wax your car and clean your house while they're at it. Yes, your new Sony is faulty. Yes, Sony has its head up its butt for denying that. But they have offered a solution and you continue to refuse. How many years did you use your old TV before you started having problems? There is such a thing as depreciation. Judge Judy would laugh you out of her court for not accepting Sony's offer.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Why are people so quick to take Sony's side? I can't wrap my mind around this.

What I can't wrap my mind around is the fact you are completely dissatisfied with how Sony has treated you but you end game seems to be wanting another Sony?
post #11 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Come on Steve, tell everybody the WHOLE story. They offered you back your $1,300 AND also offered to fix your old TV at no charge.

What else do you want them to do, wax your car and clean your house while they're at it. Yes, your new Sony is faulty. Yes, Sony has its head up its butt for denying that. But they have offered a solution and you continue to refuse. How many years did you use your old TV before you started having problems? There is such a thing as depreciation. Judge Judy would laugh you out of her court for not accepting Sony's offer.

That's not even taking into account the 7 or 8 televisions that he had replaced over a short time by Sony. They have spent well over $20,000.00 in replacing a TV for this guy.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim; View Post

The Sony logo light can be turned on and off, personally i find on extremely annoying. One of the first thing i took care of when my Sony arrived was turning off the logo light.

If you look carefully you can see the Sony logo in the photo where the logo light is turned off (which doesn't mean its a hx929).
post #13 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The Sony logo light can be turned on and off, personally i find on extremely annoying. One of the first thing i took care of when my Sony arrived was turning off the logo light.

If you look carefully you can see the Sony logo in the photo where the logo light is turned off (which doesn't mean its a hx929).

Wow, really? It's an HX929, I have no reason to lie. Would it make you feel better if I take a picture of the serial number sticker? SMH.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're not denying my television is defective? Do you realize it's still under warranty? They even extended it an extra six months. What's the point of a manufacturer warranty if they won't approve the needed repair for a faulty product?
post #15 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

What I can't wrap my mind around is the fact you are completely dissatisfied with how Sony has treated you but you end game seems to be wanting another Sony?

They may be few and far between, but I want a properly function Sony.
post #16 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They may be few and far between, but I want a properly function Sony.

And I want to be 20 years younger, 50 pounds lighter, 6" taller, and be able to dunk a basketball, but it ain't gonna happen.
post #17 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I want to be 20 years younger, 50 pounds lighter, 6" taller, and be able to dunk a basketball, but it ain't gonna happen.

And your wife is not about to trade you for a better...
post #18 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

and your wife is not about to trade you for a better...

post #19 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Wow...that picture is shocking

Didn't u try out multiple hx820s also? I believe you were not happy with those either and returned all of them to get a hx929? How many hx929 have u tried so far?
post #20 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

Wow...that picture is shocking

Didn't u try out multiple hx820s also? I believe you were not happy with those either and returned all of them to get a hx929? How many hx929 have u tried so far?

This was the only HX929 they sent. I was specifically told that if this set had problems, an authorized Sony service center would need to evaluate it for repair. Both of the service repairmen who came to evaluate it said something is definitely not right. It wasn't until Sony techs requested and looked at my photos (which clearly showed how evident the problem was), they claimed that was normal, within specs and refused to approve a repair. Like I said before, what good is a warranty if they won't honor it?
post #21 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a legitimate case. Your statement has no relevance in my situation.
post #22 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a legitimate case. Your statement has no relevance in my situation.

A legitimate complaint for sure. However, you still haven't answered the folks above who brought up the multiple 820's. Sony knows it can't satisfy you and has quit trying. Take the money they offered and run or hire a lawyer. Then you will see if you truly have a legitimate legal case. If you win, Sony will also have to pay your legal fees, assuming you sue for those also.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

BBY/MHT never carried the 46" 929 and only the Magnolias carry the XBR. You sure it was a BBY?
post #24 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Break in slides are not real content. Unless its a problem you can see during actual content. It's pointless and stupid to consider it a defect when it never comes up during normal use. I hope this isn't the case.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

BBY/MHT never carried the 46" 929 and only the Magnolias carry the XBR. You sure it was a BBY?

On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being absolutely , ridiculosly postive of that, I would say a 10.
post #26 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
People who exchange a TV 10 times in the hopes of getting the perfect set drive up prices for everybody else.

If you're not happy, accept your money back and deal with it. The fact that they offered you your money back and you're still not happy points to the problem being with you.

What happens when people like you drive Sony out of the televisions business, one they have been losing money on for a decade now with no relief in sight? Then where will you get the mythical perfect Sony you are so hellbent on trying to get?
post #27 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM

OP should buy a Vizio.
post #28 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Break in slides are not real content. Unless its a problem you can see during actual content. It's pointless and stupid to consider it a defect when it never comes up during normal use. I hope this isn't the case.

Agreed, I only used those to show where the problem existed. Look at this example of regular content...

The top photo is streamed 1080p content from my laptop. The bottom is a screen capture taken directly from the PC by copy and pasting a (PrntScr) into a new image document. This shift also shows up on Xbox 360, PS3 & OTA Antenna. Sony repair fix this, but they refuse to acknowledge there's a problem at hand, which is BS.
post #29 of 36 Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

People who exchange a TV 10 times in the hopes of getting the perfect set drive up prices for everybody else.

If you're not happy, accept your money back and deal with it. The fact that they offered you your money back and you're still not happy points to the problem being with you.

What happens when people like you drive Sony out of the televisions business, one they have been losing money on for a decade now with no relief in sight? Then where will you get the mythical perfect Sony you are so hellbent on trying to get?

I never wanted an exchange. They kept offering them, I just wanted the defect to be repaired. Plain and simple.
post #30 of 36 Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anyone else with this problem? how long did you have it, befor you saw this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page