Best 55"+ TV For Bright Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
arkitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did the search but don't see any recent updates. Thanks guys.

- Minimal reflective screen
- Wide wiewing angles not a concern
- Mostly sports and TV watching
arkitek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Been hashed too many times over on this. Best solution is to use window film tinting to cut the glare into the room, which will in turn make the room cooler, along with making the tv viewing better.

Basically there is no tv set that is going to look awesome in a brightly lit room.
gregzoll is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Member
 
waazup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want the same answer. Can anyone help (us) ?
I currently bought the UN55D6000. Don't know if it's the best out of Sony, LG, and Sharp though. Surprisingly, NO ONE on this forum seems to know anything when I ask this question. Odd.
waazup is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
M5Rahul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ to TX to CO.... missing New Jersey :(
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LG 5600/6500 series do really well in bright rooms!

I have huge windows all over and the 5600 still looks amazing with almost no glare!

I'm returning the 5600 for the Sony HX929 for other reasons, but for a bright room, def. recommend the 5600 or 6500!

The Sammy UNxx6000 doesn't hold a candle to the 5600 in terms of PQ !!
M5Rahul is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Member
 
waazup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post

The LG 5600/6500 series do really well in bright rooms!

I have huge windows all over and the 5600 still looks amazing with almost no glare!

I'm returning the 5600 for the Sony HX929 for other reasons, but for a bright room, def. recommend the 5600 or 6500!

The Sammy UNxx6000 doesn't hold a candle to the 5600 in terms of PQ !!

What do you mean?

Are there any LG's with a glossy screen? I like them way better than the matte ones. I've experienced washed out colours on a friend's LG.
waazup is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by waazup View Post

What do you mean?

Are there any LG's with a glossy screen? I like them way better than the matte ones. I've experienced washed out colours on a friend's LG.

It could also be that your friend has not calibrated their set properly. Do not compare one person's set to the whole brand, unless you know personally that it has been calibrated properly, and that no one has messed with the controls since.

There is really no good set for a totally bright room, whether it has Anti-reflective, matte, no-matte, etc. Sun is the enemy when trying to watch tv. that is why people use darkening films on their windows, so that it cuts down on not only the solar heat, but also to help make the room more habitable when trying to watch tv. Otherwise they just put the set into a dedicated room with enough light, without it being totally dark.

When the sun is up on the East, which is the front of my house, and when it hits the West side, which is my Kitchen, I keep the drapes closed at those two periods, because trying to watch tv on our Plasma does not work. Once the sun moves, I open the drapes on the East side and the set is still viewable. Kitchen I can not do anything with yet, due to we are replacing the one window above the sink, which causes a splash of setting sun that washes out that edge of the screen. It did that with our other set, it would do that with any set. It is just the nature of the beast/big ball of burning gases.
gregzoll is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

It could also be that your friend has not calibrated their set properly. Do not compare one person's set to the whole brand, unless you know personally that it has been calibrated properly, and that no one has messed with the controls since.

There is really no good set for a totally bright room, whether it has Anti-reflective, matte, no-matte, etc. Sun is the enemy when trying to watch tv. that is why people use darkening films on their windows, so that it cuts down on not only the solar heat, but also to help make the room more habitable when trying to watch tv. Otherwise they just put the set into a dedicated room with enough light, without it being totally dark.

When the sun is up on the East, which is the front of my house, and when it hits the West side, which is my Kitchen, I keep the drapes closed at those two periods, because trying to watch tv on our Plasma does not work. Once the sun moves, I open the drapes on the East side and the set is still viewable. Kitchen I can not do anything with yet, due to we are replacing the one window above the sink, which causes a splash of setting sun that washes out that edge of the screen. It did that with our other set, it would do that with any set. It is just the nature of the beast/big ball of burning gases.

At my age (approaching senior citizenship), I have literally hundreds of friends & dozens of close friends. Between them and my relatives, I don't know a single person who has put film on their windows to make the room more "TV viewing friendly." Shades, yes. Drapes, of course. Film, well, whatever floats your boat, but I don't know any.

Be honest now, how many people do you know personally who have done that? And how many people do you know in total? Then, do the math.

But, back to the original question. In an extremely bright, non-light controlled room, I would probably also choose the best LG available. LG may not have the absolute best picture, but it may be the absolute best trade-off in cases like that.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
arkitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I'm basically looking for any good PQ TV with a really good anti-glare coating or matte screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post

The LG 5600/6500 series do really well in bright rooms!

I have huge windows all over and the 5600 still looks amazing with almost no glare!

I'm returning the 5600 for the Sony HX929 for other reasons, but for a bright room, def. recommend the 5600 or 6500!

The Sammy UNxx6000 doesn't hold a candle to the 5600 in terms of PQ !!

arkitek is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 AM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
BoilerJim, actually quite a few are doing the film thing, especially with costs to cool in the Summer is going up. We are doing it this Summer on the windows, once I pull the 3m window film.
gregzoll is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitek View Post

I'm basically looking for any good PQ TV with a really good anti-glare coating or matte screen.

I have the Sharp 70" 632, which has a matte screen, and I love it. Excellent PQ and brightness, and I'm a "plasma guy".

To your main point, I have it in a very large, sunny great room in Arizona, with a wall of very large windows that let in the bright Arizona sun. It does great, and is so much better than the plasma in that room, it's ridiculous...
waltaz is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Member
 
waazup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I honestly don't really want a matte screen and don't care about the reflectiveness. Thus I need a glossy screen. I need the TV with the BEST PQ. Now,

1) Does LG make those 55" LED's with glossy screens?
2) Besides a plasma, which LED tv (55") has the best PQ? Strictly PQ.
waazup is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The matte vs gloss is an endless debate. Some folks with gloss screens in bright rooms have no issue with relfections while some can't get past it. Some prefer matte while others can't get past the light diffusion inherit with matte. In short, it's personal preference depending on the viewer and any reccomendation is pretty much useless as it relates to what works best in a bright room...you have to decide what works for you.
topr is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

BoilerJim, actually quite a few are doing the film thing, especially with costs to cool in the Summer is going up. We are doing it this Summer on the windows, once I pull the 3m window film.

Our second hi-def TV was a plasma, about 10 yrs ago or so. The glare from our large windows was so great I hated watching TV. We had heavy drapes and when I closed them, I could see the reflection of the drapes from behind us, on the TV. Later, we decided to call for a specialist and we had the film applied to all our windows in our viewing area. My wife decided she didn't want anything that looked black, so we settled on a 30% tint. That didn't help at all. We finally gave our plasma to my oldest kid and family where it served them well in the darken living room.

I purchased the XRB1 and it was great until we got the green glob. We now have a 2010 Sony 60EX700 as a replacement from Sony and it works great, even under the hot and bright Texas sun.

II think I got the time sequence all screwed up. That's what happens when age catches up with your brain. But, you can get the idea.
hughh is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Our second hi-def TV was a plasma, about 10 yrs ago or so. The glare from our large windows was so great I hated watching TV. We had heavy drapes and when I closed them, I could see the reflection of the drapes from behind us, on the TV. Later, we decided to call for a specialist and we had the film applied to all our windows in our viewing area. My wife decided she didn't want anything that looked black, so we settled on a 30% tint. That didn't help at all. We finally gave our plasma to my oldest kid and family where it served them well in the darken living room.

I purchased the XRB1 and it was great until we got the green glob. We now have a 2010 Sony 60EX700 as a replacement from Sony and it works great, even under the hot and bright Texas sun.

II think I got the time sequence all screwed up. That's what happens when age catches up with your brain. But, you can get the idea.

Thanks to all of you for the information. I guess I need to get out more.

I still don't know anyone personally who has done it (at least to the best of my knowledge). Of course, none of my friends hang out on AVS Forum either.
BoilerJim is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off