Sceptre X372BV-FHD 37" 1080p - looks great, but the sound... help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping that someone can help me get the sound settings on this thing configured, because the picture is AWESOME.

We went with the Sceptre X372BV-FHD black 37 Full 1080P LCD HDTV from Walmart because I am cheap. I was in the market for an LCD HD at around $300, and assumed I was stuck in the 32" 720p realm until I saw this Sceptre for $319. The goal was to replace a RCA F38310 38-Inch CRT that I bought off a friend for $100 a year ago. The power board was on its last legs, so I wanted to replace it before it completely died. Also, as our living room is small and kinda oddly shaped, anything over 40" would be overkill, and the 37" actually fits quite well.

Back on point, the setup of the Sceptre was a breeze (and the 38 lbs is must easier to deal with than the 215 lb RCA). The only problem is the sound.

I've seen comments that the default sound is bad, but that adjusting the settings, EQ, etc., will result in manageable, listenable sound. Currenly, things are OK, if a little tinny, but when certain frequencies get loud, there is a buzzy vibration sound, like the speakers are being overworked. This happens when the volume is turned up more than "25" or so, and only certain sounds. For instance, watching "Captain America" last night, I eventually got it so that we could understand the speech, and the explosions were very explosiony, but the music would occasionally "buzz". When I turn the TV speakers off, and just use the analog audio output to my very, very old stereo, it sounds quite a bit better.

If anyone has a Sceptre and can give me advice on how best to configure the sound settings, I sure would appreciate it. Am I just dealing with a "flat-screen" thing, or am I dealing with a crappy TV? Do I need a sound bar? A better audio system?

I'm sure that many of you are much more knowledgeable than I, and I look forward to any advice offered.

---Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
It sounds like certain frequencies from the speakers are creating vibrations causing the set's cabinet or other components to buzz. Either that or the speakers themselves are distorting due to inadequacys in the set's audio amplification or the speakers themselves.
Both are pretty much the result of cost-savings on the part of the mfg and not likely to be cured by adjustments.

If you're otherwise happy with the tv use your current stereo for audio for the time being and start saving for a soundbar or other external audio upgrade.

I don't think there's really a flatscreen on the market at any realistic price point with sound quality equivalent to even a fairly inexpensive sound bar or surround system.

Steve S.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I did finally find a way to tweak the treble and the EQ so that the "buzz" doesn't happen anymore. The sound is still very... well... flatscreen, but when piped through my stereo, it sounds great.

I have a buddy who dropped $900 on a Sony 720p, and apparently he has the same problem with sound, so he uses a sound bar.

I am simply amazed at the picture quality, the clarity, the refresh rate. I haven't noticed an motion blur or pixelation, and have found myself watching the strangest things just because the image is so clear and vibrant. I'll do just what you said, save up for a sound bar, and just sit back and bask in all the glory that $350 can provide.

Again, thanks.

---Jim
post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Almost all LCDs/Plasmas have crappy speakers (usually 10W, sometimes 12W). You're coming from a large CRT and there is no comparison. When I got an LCD after years with my 27" Sony Trinitron I was really disappointed with the sound. Those thin profiles don't make for a good enclosure for decent speakers. You either get used to it or get a soundbar or home theater system.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page