Which TV for Desktop PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to ask any other tv's that i should consider for a permanent desktop monitor replacement. From what i understand the key to this application is finding the tv with the lowest input lag, the 120hz is to be disregarded as it has no benefit. What i came to is the 47LD450 is right for the choice. Any other 47 LCD tv's model #'s i should look at?

I would like to use HDMI interface for best picture quality for digital signal and use full native resolution of the TV. I was going to get the Panasonic VIERA TC-L42U30 to take the guess work out of getting a IPS panel but failed because it needs to use the vga for pc use and suffered from vertical ringing or edge enhancement.

All i want is a good TV at 47" minimum, ips panel if possible and best for use on PC for gaming, web browsing and movies. I could care less that the 47LD450 is a couple years older but if there are other tv's to pick from any suggestions are wanted and welcomed. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone please help me out?
post #3 of 45 Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Many would have recommended the 2011 version of the TV, the LK450, but it's not available in the 47" size.

Having kept up with the topic of PC monitors for a few years now, i think you've made an excellent choice, and can't think of a better one for the size. That model is highly regarded for PC use, and is still often discussed.
post #4 of 45 Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Liked: 12
post #5 of 45 Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM

There actually is a 47" version of the LK450, but it seems to be only available in Canadian markets So if the OP is outside Canada, I guess this is a moot point.

As for the LK520, I *vaguely* remember reading somewhere that it had higher input lag than the LK450. But more importantly, that it failed 4:4:4 chroma. So assuming what I read was legit, then the LK520 is out the window for PC monitor usage.

The only other TVs (that I know of) that uses S-IPS panels is the JVC Black Crystal series and Vizio XVT series (last gen, not sure about the current gen). Unfortunately those both fail 4:4:4 chroma also, so those are out the window.

So in a nut shell, if low input lag + S-IPS panel + 4:4:4 chroma support + 47" size are your requirements, I think you'll be hardpressed to find anything that fits all those criteria.

However, if you're willing to budge on the S-IPS requirement, you may want to look at the Sony EX720 series. While not S-IPS, it meets the other three requirements.
post #6 of 45 Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

So in a nut shell, if low input lag + S-IPS panel + 4:4:4 chroma support + 47" size are your requirements, I think you'll be hardpressed to find anything that fits all those criteria.

I agree, the OP would have a tough time finding a better 47" TV with his criteria. I would pick up the 47LD450 in a heartbeat, and never look back, if it were me.

The Sony EX720 is def intriguing, but the 46" price seems to be around $300 more than the 47LD450, which may or may not be a big deal to the OP.
post #7 of 45 Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I stumbled on an LG unit a while back called the 47LK451C available online in the US market. Couldn't find much info on it, though.
post #8 of 45 Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

About the 4:4:4 chroma, is anything need to be done to use this feature? Or once the tv is plugged in via pc VGA through HDMI it is a automated technology that works in the background without user intervention. I do not fully understand this other than it being employed in tv's to increase picture quality. I appreciate everyone's input and validated that I made a good choice for the application of the tv.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMDchip View Post

About the 4:4:4 chroma, is anything need to be done to use this feature? Or once the tv is plugged in via pc VGA through HDMI it is a automated technology that works in the background without user intervention. I do not fully understand this other than it being employed in tv's to increase picture quality. I appreciate everyone's input and validated that I made a good choice for the application of the tv.

4:4:4 is usually not automatic, but using a DVI-to-HDMI cable is sometimes necessary, and reduces the amount of troubleshooting steps if you're having any related issues. It will not be "plug and play", precious few TV's are. It will take some pre-planning and tweaking on your part, in both the TV menu and video card control panel.

This thread goes into more detail on 4:4:4: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21386797

And this huge thread discusses the ins-and-outs of the popular LD450: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19723268

Enjoy your new LD450
post #10 of 45 Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

4:4:4 is usually not automatic, but using a DVI-to-HDMI cable is sometimes necessary, and reduces the amount of troubleshooting steps if you're having any related issues. It will not be "plug and play", precious few TV's are. It will take some pre-planning and tweaking on your part, in both the TV menu and video card control panel.

This thread goes into more detail on 4:4:4: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21386797

And this huge thread discusses the ins-and-outs of the popular LD450: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19723268

Enjoy your new LD450

I have yet to buy it. I am having a hard time even finding one to buy online.

About what you said, why to you suggest using the DVI port with an HDMI adapter. The Radeon 6000 series i have has a HDMI output built in to it it. Will I be losing something by using the built in HDMI over using the Primary DVI output?

As for the settings on the computer part, i have connected a LCD tv in the past and did have to use catalyst because the picture did not occupy the whole screen and had to use over-scan in settings on pc. Is this similar to what your taking about settings it up on your pc? For the record i am well versed and knowledge on the PC front if you want to get into specifics but not savvy with tv's. Telling the pc to use the tv "via identify it in AMD catalyst, set native resolution of 1920×1080, making primary display ect wont be a issue for me. Is that what you mean on tweaking on the pc front or is there more to it?
post #11 of 45 Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot seem to find the 47ld450 to buy online. I was hoping this would be the end of trying to find the tv for the job. I guess to simplify the question to get one Which tv for a max of $800 US, Min 46" and best for PC use should i consider. What TV's are getting high praise by end users right now for the role i want it to play. Help is greatly appreciated.
post #12 of 45 Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

BestBuy.com has it on sale right now, don't hesitate any longer, it's probably your last chance on it.

You can use the savings on an extended protection plan, either Best Buy's in-house plan, or grab a Squaretrade coupon and go with Squaretrade instead.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM

I apologize for jumping on this thread, but I am looking for a 32LD450, possibly two, to use solely as a PC monitor. I see that BestBuy has the 42" in it's Outlet, but not the 32". Anybody seen one lately?
post #14 of 45 Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post

I apologize for jumping on this thread, but I am looking for a 32LD450, possibly two, to use solely as a PC monitor. I see that BestBuy has the 42" in it's Outlet, but not the 32". Anybody seen one lately?

The LD450 series is a 2010 model, so finding one brand new is pretty much impossible now. I recommend keeping an eye out for the LK450 series (pretty much identical to the LD450). LG is releasing their 2012 sets soon so the LK450 should be put on clearance pricing soon after.
post #15 of 45 Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to buy it the 2/23 but i got this
"Delivery: We're sorry, delivery of the following items is not available in your area through BestBuy.com"

So the only place i can buy the tv perfect for pc use from won't ship it to me.

With this situation I am in I guess i will take any current made TV's 42" or up with the 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling.
post #16 of 45 Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post

BB sells the signage version (37LD452B) but not in 32". The 32" is 720p anyway.

Advantage: It's IPS, no lottery.

Disadvantage: 2 instead of 3 HDMI ports, no video from the USB.

Does it support 4:4:4? Well, it's an LD45x, and it's designed to run signage software from the USB or from a computer, so it would make no sense for this feature to be removed from a set that is even more likely to need the feature than the consumer model. But it would be good to confirm the capability. Maybe LG Solutions would be willing to tell you.

ernie
post #17 of 45 Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure about this one, because CNET seemed to have turned this down, but the features for the price do look tempting. This was one that I was hoping to pick up becase of the 3D technology, the 240Hz refresh, and the 4 HDMI, and the big kicker was the local dimming LEDs... Just a shame that B&H wasn't taking online orders until really late this evening, tho...not sure why.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._1080p_3D.html

This would be great for using as a 3D computer monitor, possibly... Not so sure if the 2D - 3D conversion would work on a non-nVidia 3D Vision setup or not (AMD HD 5850 w/ Phenom II 955).
Although the price for the TV that B&H was asking for is definitely cheaper than investing in 2 nVidia Fermi cards and an SLI mobo...so we have that to look forward to.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #18 of 45 Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM

I just came back from BB and they have the 37LK450 in the store set up on display. I looked at the first box under the floor model and it's a CUSY. Usually the BB I go to doesn't display any 37s. They always have the 32" but those are CUSD. So at one BB at least IPS models are in stock at 37". I played a couple MKVs from a flash drive as well. Looks good to me. So PC users considering a 37" can go check it out. If you use the store availability thingy from the product page you can see which BB in your area has the set. In my area near Boston 6 out of 10 stores are shown as carrying the 37LK450.

ernie
post #19 of 45 Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogulus View Post

BB sells the signage version (37LD452B) but not in 32". The 32" is 720p anyway.

Advantage: It's IPS, no lottery.

Disadvantage: 2 instead of 3 HDMI ports, no video from the USB.

Does it support 4:4:4? Well, it's an LD45x, and it's designed to run signage software from the USB or from a computer, so it would make no sense for this feature to be removed from a set that is even more likely to need the feature than the consumer model. But it would be good to confirm the capability. Maybe LG Solutions would be willing to tell you.

? If the OP is going to use it as a Computer monitor, why would that even matter?
post #20 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._1080p_3D.html

Toshiba 32TL515U

This would be great for using as a 3D computer monitor, possibly...

When in doubt, you have to assume it will work poorly for PC use. The majority of TV's have halo'd text, or smudged color text. And if a TV is 120hz or more then it's chances of poor text are even higher.

Here's a thread that determines which TV's pass or fail the text test: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21386797

And none of this is even considering input lag, which is also important to some.

Also: that Toshiba *may* be "Edge-lit local dimming", which isn't quite as good as the real thing btw.
post #21 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I have yet to buy it. I am having a hard time even finding one to buy online.

About what you said, why to you suggest using the DVI port with an HDMI adapter. The Radeon 6000 series i have has a HDMI output built in to it it. Will I be losing something by using the built in HDMI over using the Primary DVI output?

DVI and HDMI quality are substantially close. IIRC HDMI was developed from DVI and that is why it so so easy to interchange the two signals.

Quote:

As for the settings on the computer part, i have connected a LCD tv in the past and did have to use catalyst because the picture did not occupy the whole screen and had to use over-scan in settings on pc. Is this similar to what your taking about settings it up on your pc? For the record i am well versed and knowledge on the PC front if you want to get into specifics but not savvy with tv's. Telling the pc to use the tv "via identify it in AMD catalyst, set native resolution of 1920×1080, making primary display ect wont be a issue for me. Is that what you mean on tweaking on the pc front or is there more to it?

You may have yo go into the video card control panel and disable scaling but, I don't think that is was what Sjetski was primarily talking about. Given that it was a discussion on 4:4:4, I'm fairly certain he was talking about possibly having to do an EDID override. However I don't think that is required on AMD/ATi video cards as I have only read about people doing it when they have Nvidia cards. Some TVs also require that you rename their input labels or switch them to a different display mode. It just varies from TV to TV and setup to setup.

e.g. A recent TV I had was able to do 4:4:4 via my 9500GT with just a DVI>HDMI cable but the replacement (the same model) had a different mainboard and I had to do an EDID override on the video card instead of the monitor in the registry in order to get it to display 4:4:4 via a 6200 PCI card via a DVI>HDMI cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

? If the OP is going to use it as a Computer monitor, why would that even matter?

The OP might want to use it for something else as well. Even if they didn't someone that might want to use it for something else. The number of inputs and how they differ from a comparable set tend to matter even if it's only a "what if" scenario.
post #22 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the input given. I finally can close this book. I really dread what the future holds for tv's. I hope manufactures do not get rid of 60Hz tv's with CCFL lighting and 4:4:4 support. Because whenever the one i have dies i will have to do this again.

I wanted to get the LG 47LD450 but i should have bought it a year ago when it was easier to come by, at the time though i was happy with what i was using "HP LP2065 "IPS" LCD monitor" I was torn between how much the internet could offer in choices, prices and how good the local service was ie costco return policy and 5 year extended warranty. Gamble getting a tv online having dead pixels, or it dying within the first 48 hours ect.

Anyway What i found locally with the requirements i had to get was the LG 42LK450. Bought the floor model from teh Wall of Mart for $398. I looked online to find out the info needed to get the panel that was better the day before

CUSYLH =S-IPS panel
CUSDLH =VA panel
CUSALH =VA panel

And sure enough it was 42LK450-UB CUSYLH Also keep in mind they only had the one tv and were not getting anymore.

So know i got the PC hooked up from video card HDMI Port to HDMI Port one on TV and Set the LG TV Input Label For HDMI 1 to PC, which if i failed to do that would never have got the 4:4:4 chroma enabled. The text is razor sharp, and all stuff is displayed as it should appear on a normal LCD monitors for computers.

And if anyone asked themselves why i went through all the trouble. I wanted to take pc gaming up a notch with immersion and advantage.
post #23 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:

So know i got the PC hooked up from video card HDMI Port to HDMI

Read this page :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...327825&page=65
post #24 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I really appreciate the input given. I finally can close this book. I really dread what the future holds for tv's. I hope manufactures do not get rid of 60Hz tv's with CCFL lighting and 4:4:4 support. Because whenever the one i have dies i will have to do this again.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

It might be easier or harder to get 4:4:4 in the future. Up until recently, it wasn't something that was intentionally being put in TVs. It was either there or it wasn't. Sharp on the other hand is advertising it for their top tier 2012 tiers. This is a double edged sword though because if it does well as a selling point, it could cause others to intentionally include/advertise it on only their top tier products. At some point, it's bound to trickle down though as people are wanting/needing to do more with their TVs.

When it comes to CCFL though, it's a guessing game. I know Westinghouse will have CCFL and edge-lit LEDs (I really wish this tech would die) for 2012. The have opted to not offer a 32" 1080p set this year though and that will hurt people looking for a "cheap" 32" HDTV to use as a monitor (assuming the 2012 line can even do 4:4:4). The edge-lit LEDs TVs and monitors are pushing CCFL out due to their hype and the average consumer probably thinking they are similar to full array LEDs.

60Hz is probably going to start working it's way out as well as more and more people "want" 120Hz+ or 3D displays. That in and of itself will make it harder on anyone that desires to turn off all the processing crap they shove into various displays.

I completely understand not wanting to have to go through the hunt again though. I wasn't looking for a display when most of the 2011 models that can do 4:4:4 were being closed out and going for dirt cheap between the end of November and during December. Now that I am looking for a display, there are only two 32" CCFL sets left on the market and their prices are higher at this point.

In the end the problem is anyone with the need for 4:4:4 will have to hunt in the future unless everyone starts advertising it or intentionally including it on the TVs as 4:4:4 confirmation has only come by trial & error by the consumer.
post #25 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

Read this page :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...327825&page=65

The tv is not making any hiss or buzzing and it doesn't flicker as they stated in the forum thread you linked. The only thing i am a little confused about is the zig zag marks that are put under misspelled text look black color wise, when we all know its supposed to be red. Whats that all about
post #26 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, wasn't DisplayPort based off of DVI give or take as well? I have yet to see HDTVs carry this, but there are plenty of monitors that use this. Any GPUs made within the last three years have these. Just need to have a compatible display for it, tho.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #27 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:

The tv is not making any hiss or buzzing and it doesn't flicker as they stated in the forum thread you linked. The only thing i am a little confused about is the zig zag marks that are put under misspelled text look black color wise, when we all know its supposed to be red. Whats that all about

Nah, i mean the HDMI-HDMI connection. MyKillK was quite satisfied with HDMI-HDMI as well... until he hooked it up with DVI-HDMI.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1950
post #28 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nah, i mean the HDMI-HDMI connection. MyKillK was quite satisfied with HDMI-HDMI as well... until he hooked it up with DVI-HDMI.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1950

I did swap between The video cards outputs "HDMI and DVI with adapter and did not see any difference in quality change.

I am pretty sure i have yet to get 4:4:4 working, I have tried a lot of things. Is there a guide or something i can do to get it working for the 42lk450?
post #29 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I did swap between The video cards outputs "HDMI and DVI with adapter and did not see any difference in quality change.

I am pretty sure i have yet to get 4:4:4 working, I have tried a lot of things. Is there a guide or something i can do to get it working for the 42lk450?

I assume you have an AMD video card ? If so, DVI-HDMI is required and you don't have to do anything else, basically(so if it isn't working - that's strange).

If you have NVIDIA, you need to apply a register fix.
post #30 of 45 Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I assume you have an AMD video card ? If so, DVI-HDMI is required and you don't have to do anything else, basically(so if it isn't working - that's strange).

If you have NVIDIA, you need to apply a register fix.

Here is the picture taken of the red lines. I thought that Only Red pixels were suppose to be lit and not all of them, even though the green and blue or dimly lit.

Second picture is supposed to be a big red circle

Link below is same tv model with 4:4:4 working, i am confused.

http://larchive.avsforum.com/www.avs...5&postcount=97
LL
LL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page