SAMSUNG LED TV - Question on Series Numbers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Fellow AVS Forum Readers:

I have been reading your reviews on AVSforum.com - as I am currently in the market for a new LED TV. I have been a fairly loyal Samsung TV user since aroud 2001, with my first DLP. - and I haven't had many issues at all.

With this being said, I'm curious as to what you all would recommend today. Should I venture out of the Samusung brand, or stick with what I know? I'm slightly confused by the 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000 Series terms with Samsung, as the pricing is a little strange. - I am assuming the 9000 Series is "newer" version, but sometimes I find it rated lower than it's 7000 and/or 8000 Series counterparts. Depending on where you go, you can see prices all over the place. I am also concerned about the 9000 Series, as there are a lot of "bad" reviews, saying it is too complicated, doesn't connect to Wi-Fi and/or drops signals. Any thoughts on this?

The 120Hz models are selling for MUCH lower than the 240Hz models, but I am hesitant to buy an older technology. Since I am in the market, I might as well buy the latest and greatest. (Assuming.) - So I am looking for 240Hz.

Lastly, I am looking for something 55" or greater.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Pickledude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleDude View Post

Hi Fellow AVS Forum Readers:

I have been reading your reviews on AVSforum.com - as I am currently in the market for a new LED TV. I have been a fairly loyal Samsung TV user since aroud 2001, with my first DLP. - and I haven't had many issues at all.

With this being said, I'm curious as to what you all would recommend today. Should I venture out of the Samusung brand, or stick with what I know? I'm slightly confused by the 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000 Series terms with Samsung, as the pricing is a little strange. - I am assuming the 9000 Series is "newer" version, but sometimes I find it rated lower than it's 7000 and/or 8000 Series counterparts. Depending on where you go, you can see prices all over the place. I am also concerned about the 9000 Series, as there are a lot of "bad" reviews, saying it is too complicated, doesn't connect to Wi-Fi and/or drops signals. Any thoughts on this?

The 120Hz models are selling for MUCH lower than the 240Hz models, but I am hesitant to buy an older technology. Since I am in the market, I might as well buy the latest and greatest. (Assuming.) - So I am looking for 240Hz.

Lastly, I am looking for something 55" or greater.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Pickledude!

First, you should know that the letter preceding the 6, 7, or 8000 is the model year. A is 2008, B is 09, C is 10, and D is 2011.

The D6000 is 120Hz, which only provides half resolution for 3D.

Models above are 240Hz with full resolution 3D. The D7000 has microdimming and the D8000 has microdimming plus, both of which are step ups to improve black level.

I believe the 9000 is a 2010 model and would probably be preceded by a C. It was more of a "style" leader than the C8000, and missing some tech features.

So the 55D8000 has the most tech features, including Cinema Black which turns off the upper and lower edge LEDs when viewing letterboxed material to make the black bars black. Professional reviewers like the picture on the D8000.

The issue with the D models is screen non-uniformity, resulting in random sets with banding, clouding, and/or flashlighting. It appears that Samsung may have corrected some manufacturing problems, and sets made in December seem to be OK.

Given that, the CES occurred last week, and the new 2012 ES models are expected out by March. These sets could all have improvements to totally eliminate any screen non uniformity. You might consider waiting.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response DFP.

I am still in "considering" mode.

Only new models I can see "Coming Soon" are the UN55ES8000 series.

Is this the one you meant?

It's going to be hard to justify the price. - Almost double.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so after much debate, research and in-store testing of the different brands, models and overall performance, I went with the Samsung 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) LED 8000 Series Smart TV:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D8000YFXZA

There were a lot of variables I used to reach this consideration, but in the end, it wasn't really a contest. I was very much set on purchasing a Plasma, as they are very price-competitive in the market right now, with a very strong picture. However, when you set the Plasma next to an LED, it is a dismal, sad and distance 2nd to the LED. I couldn't bear the thought of going home and watching content on the Plasma, while thinking of the LED.

Granted, it ended up costing me quite a bit more, but I am in this TV for a good 7-10 years, at minimum.

I have had it for just over 3 weeks now, and I just can't rave about it enough. Blu-Ray movies are just amazing. I literally get Vertigo sitting in front of some of them, the clarity is that strong. HD Content from my cable box is VERY good. - I watched The Masters golf tournament over the weekend, and with the stereo sound, I felt like I was standing on the fairway with Tiger Woods!!! - I'm still not 100% on the 3D yet; although I haven't technically watched a 3D movie - only converted from 2D to 3D on some movies and content - which is pretty darn good, all things considered.

I am also impressed with the "connectivity" of the Samsung LED TV. I have a LAN in my house, and all of my computers recognize the TV when it is on. I can stream content such as AVI, WAV, MPeg movies to it very easily. My kids love that feature.

Anyway, I thought I would circle back and close the loop on my HD TV Journey. I am VERY happy with my decisions - and suggest everyone go through an "In-Store" test with their models that they are considering purchasing.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 11
Were you looking at the LG models at all? I feel like I most commonly see the samsung and the LG tvs being compared, and I'm currently making up my mind between those two.

I prefer the comfort of passive 3d, but the 3d viewing is not something that I'm too concerned about so it's more of an afterthought. The LG models also cost a bit less, especially when you consider that many of the samsung models don't even come with 3d glasses.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleDude View Post

Ok, so after much debate, research and in-store testing of the different brands, models and overall performance, I went with the Samsung 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) LED 8000 Series Smart TV:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D8000YFXZA

There were a lot of variables I used to reach this consideration, but in the end, it wasn't really a contest. I was very much set on purchasing a Plasma, as they are very price-competitive in the market right now, with a very strong picture. However, when you set the Plasma next to an LED, it is a dismal, sad and distance 2nd to the LED. I couldn't bear the thought of going home and watching content on the Plasma, while thinking of the LED.

Granted, it ended up costing me quite a bit more, but I am in this TV for a good 7-10 years, at minimum.

I have had it for just over 3 weeks now, and I just can't rave about it enough. Blu-Ray movies are just amazing. I literally get Vertigo sitting in front of some of them, the clarity is that strong. HD Content from my cable box is VERY good. - I watched The Masters golf tournament over the weekend, and with the stereo sound, I felt like I was standing on the fairway with Tiger Woods!!! - I'm still not 100% on the 3D yet; although I haven't technically watched a 3D movie - only converted from 2D to 3D on some movies and content - which is pretty darn good, all things considered.

I am also impressed with the "connectivity" of the Samsung LED TV. I have a LAN in my house, and all of my computers recognize the TV when it is on. I can stream content such as AVI, WAV, MPeg movies to it very easily. My kids love that feature.

Anyway, I thought I would circle back and close the loop on my HD TV Journey. I am VERY happy with my decisions - and suggest everyone go through an "In-Store" test with their models that they are considering purchasing.

Enjoy your new set, it's better than this year's es8000, because of the hardware dimming.......no samsung 2012 has it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page