Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 284 Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

So not many ET5 series owners yet, eh? I keep searching the web for more info on the ET5 series...but so far not having much luck frown.gif

Just purchased a 42 ET50 at amazon for less than the E5. I don't know why the E5 is not around more but hope my purchase works out. Happy with the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 284 Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
so how do you like the ET5? how are the black levels ?
post #183 of 284 Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what is everyone's impressions on this tv? i have a 40 inch sammy eh6000 and i'm thinking about returning it back to best buy and picking this one up. i really like my sammy but we want a 3d tv.
post #184 of 284 Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

that's ashame, I first ended uip getting the Samsung LNE550 but just couldn't get the skin tones under control and consistant and it had horrible off angles. but blacks were fairly deep for this range.

I went to best buy and they had this Panasonic on display along with all the other major brands 40-42 budget lines LG, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba.

Dead on the Panasoic 42 looked among the better ones but the LG did have the very wide viewing angle. It does appear, from other threads , that they do use the IPS panal. I swapped out my Samsung and got the LG., it does have very wide viewing angles.

Too bad about the Panasonic outsourcing their smaller units now. We got my inlaws a 32 Panasonic for Christmas and that does have the IPS Alpha, and I have to tell you that has one of the best picture qualities on any HDTV I've seen. Colors are rich and deep, blacks are solid and viewing angles are among the best in the business.

i would say if anyone looking for an non LED Panasonic, look for the IPS panal, you won't be dissapointed.

So I guess that makes the old model TCL32U3 pretty good then? It is a 1080p non-LED IPS Alpha panel and still available for decent price at a local Canadian retailer.

My other choice is to jump up to the semi-smart LED "E5" series but it is like twice the price.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #185 of 284 Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff149 View Post

Ok, it's only been 3 days, but the Panasonic TC L47E50 is great so far. More detail later. it tunes in a lot more HD channels off the antenna. Screen is more reflective than 2 year old matte-screen Vizio but with the ISP panel, I can sit off center, to avoid window reflection. I did measure it's reflectivity next to LG6200 and Samsung LEDs, and it was LESS reflective than those. I'll post the measuring tool in a separate post tomorrow.
Special Kudos to Adorama for fast shipping. Great price and GREAT packaging. The Panasonic box and styrofoam is NOT great, but Adorama put the whole thing in a larger box with solid foam padding at each corner. Despite this special packaging, the internal Panasonic styrofoam cracked, and the box split open at the bottom when we tried to lift the box out of the Adorama box.
TC L47E50 is mounted to a Monoprice full - articulating, somewhat stiff-flexing wall mount. This thin TV is surprisingly flexible (where the thicker Vizio was rigid). Pushing inward on left and right bezels to get the wall mount to collapse into the cabinet opening made it bend a bit, so now I sorta push on the bottom bezel with my knee at the same time. Angling the TV was no problem, and pulling it away from the wall didn't create much bend.

Any more updates on the TV? I really wish Panasonic made this in a 50" model. I have a 50" Samsung 720P Plasma currently and like the size. I kind of hate giving up those 3" (LOL) - and I'm not sure it's worth jumping up to the 55" (cost wise).

-Guru
post #186 of 284 Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Any more updates on the TV? I really wish Panasonic made this in a 50" model. I have a 50" Samsung 720P Plasma currently and like the size. I kind of hate giving up those 3" (LOL) - and I'm not sure it's worth jumping up to the 55" (cost wise).
-Guru

you will probably be fine with the 47. i got the 42 and was thinking that i would really want the 47 but i like it's size. i mean it's a tv and we are only talking about 3 inches.
post #187 of 284 Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
37E5 is proving hard to find. Panny is backordered I'm told by my dealer, since it is the only 37" set on the market.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #188 of 284 Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 PM

I've had the 3D 42" 2012 TC-L42ET5 for a few days now. Bought it because of good price, LOW POWER needs, "smart" functions, and only need for passive 3D polarized glasses. My few year old 42" Vizio is a radiating HEATER! NOT good in my poorly insulated RV and California summer temperatures. The Vizio is 300 watts "hot" while the new Viera only 100.

3D is more for my own desire to try 3D photography and video shooting. I also bought the compact Panasonic 3D1 camera for it's ease of use and quality 3D output. I'm a long time still and video shooter, but stereo 3D is WHOLE NEW world for me. My first try showed many newbie mistakes, but they also came with some very impressive results. I had hummingbirds flying about my living room from footage I shot them coming to my two feeders. The live effect was so realistic I caught myself hesitating to reach for the remote because I though movement might scare them. I still chuckle thinking about that. I've got a LOT to learn for consistent good results, but my idea is to have FUN with it.

Anyone else using Panny TV's and gear for 3D shooting? I have some questions about unexpected playback quirks. Don't know if it results from gear or my use of settings.

Mark
post #189 of 284 Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 AM

Just received a TC-L55ET5 yesterday, which is replacing a 4 yr old 50" Panny plasma. Initial impressions are really good. My neighbor just bought a 55ST50 plasma and we're thinking about setting them up side by side for some comparisons(yes, our wives think we're nuts). Will post follow-up thoughts and maybe some pics later.
post #190 of 284 Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferb View Post

Just received a TC-L55ET5 yesterday, which is replacing a 4 yr old 50" Panny plasma. Initial impressions are really good. My neighbor just bought a 55ST50 plasma and we're thinking about setting them up side by side for some comparisons(yes, our wives think we're nuts). Will post follow-up thoughts and maybe some pics later.

What made you pick this model instead of going for the WT50?

The Amazon spec sheet lists that you are missing out on the following:
Quote:
Web Contents Smoother
1920 Backlight Scanning
24p Cinematic Playback
ISFccc
Pro Settings
VIERA Touch Pad Controller
Local Dimming
Multitask Function

Besides money, do you need those above features?

Does local dimming mean it's a full array instead of edge lit on the highest end model?
post #191 of 284 Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Congrats on the new TV. Remind your wives about this the next time they want to show each other what they bought at the mall last week...

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #192 of 284 Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo View Post

What made you pick this model instead of going for the WT50?
The Amazon spec sheet lists that you are missing out on the following:
Quote:
Web Contents Smoother
1920 Backlight Scanning
24p Cinematic Playback
ISFccc
Pro Settings
VIERA Touch Pad Controller
Local Dimming
Multitask Function
Besides money, do you need those above features?
Does local dimming mean it's a full array instead of edge lit on the highest end model?

The DT and WT models were way out of my budget. I think the 55WT is double what I paid for 55ET5.

I did a basic calibration with the Disney WOW disc and it looks pretty good. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to watch it, but will update when I do.
post #193 of 284 Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

The DT and WT models were way out of my budget. I think the 55WT is double what I paid for 55ET5.
I did a basic calibration with the Disney WOW disc and it looks pretty good. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to watch it, but will update when I do.

Can you take a look at the TV from a vertical angle?

I'll be looking up at it at around 40 degrees from 8 feet away. Does the color hold up well? I am not a nutty A/V guy, I just want a good clear picture. Will the picture look bright when watching at an off angle? It's one of my reasons I want to get an IPS panel like this one.
post #194 of 284 Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM

mainemojo,

How do you like the TC-L37E5 model? I need to replace a 2005 Hitachi(?) 32" HDTV-Ready model. I use a Win 7 computer with two Hauppage cards for its input). I cannot go wider than a 35.5" inch frame, which is the max width of the inside of the entertainment center. So, far, all I can find is the TC-L37E5 model at 34.4" wide. I always have the kitchen light on next to the room with the TV, so it won't be a completely dark room.

I have read this whole thread and my brain is gel now.

Thank you for your input!

EDIT 6/27/12: The TV that I am replacing is a Toshiba 30HF85 bought in 2005. I looked at a Panasonic TC-L42E50 today (because no one had a TC-L37E5), and it was BEAUTIFUL compared to my current TV.

Gregg
post #195 of 284 Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM

I've been using a 55ET5 from Best Buy for the past 3 weeks.

Some background: I have had a 50" Sony SXRD for years, and the bulb went out again. Tired of the bulb issues and slight fuzziness due to imperfect convergence (not to mention the threat of green blobs developing), I decided to purchase a new TV. I am a big gamer, and I had heard nothing but recommendations for the Panny plasma line due to the low input lag. So first, I tried a 55" Panny 55ST30 which was on clearance. Great PQ, but the thing buzzed horribly in bright scenes, and it was quite audible at a 10' seating distance. I adjusted brightness and contrast to try to eliminate it but could not. So, I just got a "bad" one, right. I took that back. There were no more ST30s so I ponied up for a new 55ST50. PQ is overall great but It too buzzed audibly on bright/white scenes (the Wii menus were a nightmare), and line bleed was annoying. Also, I have come to find that I am very susceptible to flicker, and I could "see" it in the plasma picture on bright scenes which made it hard to watch for more than a few hours. Active 3D also gave me headaches for the same reason. So, the 55ST50 went back. The Best Buy floor model also buzzed, so I finally admitted to myself that plasma simply wasn't for me and I'd have to make do with LCD. The Best Buy rep encouraged me to make another exchange. Enter the 55ET5.

The Good: Overall there is a lot to like in the set:
- The picture is very detailed and rock solid. In fact, I find the image to appear far more sharp and detailed than the plasmas did. As for PQ, I think it is technically worse than the plasmas but it is more pleasing to my eyes. There appears to be less judder, and on some content I found the plasma to be too "contrasty". I think the reason I like the LCD better is because I spent so much time with my rear-projection unit and was used to the less-than-stellar black levels.After some fiddling I was able to get colors the way I wanted them for the most part but its not perfect. I used the Disney WOW disc for calibration.
- I like the Panasonic menu system.
- I don't have a CRT monitor to test for lag but I can tell you that I don't detect it in "Game" mode any more than on the plasmas. However, the non "game" modes are noticeably laggy but that's to be expected.
- The internet platform and apps, media player, etc. are the same as the plasmas, and I liked those. I also like the iOS app that Panny has for their sets.
- Motion handling also seems fine.
- Passive 3D is far and away the better solution right now, at least for me. No flicker and no crosstalk which were both a big issue for me on the plasmas. Yes, you lose some detail but from a normal viewing distance it works very well in practice.

The Bad: Unfortunately there are plenty of negatives as well:
- Black levels are not good, but as I stated above this doesn't bother me too much as I rarely watch movies and never in a darkened room.
- In "Game" mode there is an odd visual artifact that is sometimes visible on glowing bright colors that shows up as very regular vertical bands. This goes away as soon as you switch the TV to a non-game picture mode. It doesn't show up often but it is occasionally noticeable in some game content. (I noticed it in the glowing blue sections of Marcus' uniform in Gears of War 3). Not sure what is causing that. You can see it in certain regular TV content if you leave the "Game" mode on so it's not in the source.
- There are no detailed color correction controls in the menus, so if you can't fix a color imbalance using the standard Color, Tint, and Color Temp, you are out of luck.
- There is some minor flashlighting in the corners and on the left hand side but again this is not something that shows up in normal viewing for me.
- Backlight uniformity issues. The worst thing is that the picture is slightly darker toward the very top and bottom of the screen. This wouldn't be too bad but it is not consistent all the way across and there are patches of lighter and darker screen. When the camera pans horizontally it becomes very apparent and my eye is drawn up to it. Sadly, this is the deal-killer.

So, I am going to return the set. I can say that I do like the TV a lot, and for me it was a better set than the plasmas I tried. If this set did not have the backlight uniformity issues at the top and bottom I would keep it for sure, the overall experience otherwise is pretty great. When the second plasma didn't work out I went ahead and ordered a replacement bulb for my Sony (~$40) so I can just go back to my old TV for now as my wife is very annoyed at the parade of TVs we've had lately and I don't want to exchange yet again in hopes of getting a good panel which might end up being worse. I will say that if my SXRD dies or gets the blobs I will definitely try another 55ET5 and see if I can get a more uniform screen.
post #196 of 284 Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 PM

Is there any truth to this site stating that the TC-L37E5 has been discontinued? It is about the only 37" one that will fit my entertainment center!

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_TCL37E5/
post #197 of 284 Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
post #198 of 284 Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfred View Post

I've been using a 55ET5 from Best Buy for the past 3 weeks.
Some background: I have had a 50" Sony SXRD for years, and the bulb went out again. Tired of the bulb issues and slight fuzziness due to imperfect convergence (not to mention the threat of green blobs developing), I decided to purchase a new TV. I am a big gamer, and I had heard nothing but recommendations for the Panny plasma line due to the low input lag. So first, I tried a 55" Panny 55ST30 which was on clearance. Great PQ, but the thing buzzed horribly in bright scenes, and it was quite audible at a 10' seating distance. I adjusted brightness and contrast to try to eliminate it but could not. So, I just got a "bad" one, right. I took that back. There were no more ST30s so I ponied up for a new 55ST50. PQ is overall great but It too buzzed audibly on bright/white scenes (the Wii menus were a nightmare), and line bleed was annoying. Also, I have come to find that I am very susceptible to flicker, and I could "see" it in the plasma picture on bright scenes which made it hard to watch for more than a few hours. Active 3D also gave me headaches for the same reason. So, the 55ST50 went back. The Best Buy floor model also buzzed, so I finally admitted to myself that plasma simply wasn't for me and I'd have to make do with LCD. The Best Buy rep encouraged me to make another exchange. Enter the 55ET5.
The Good: Overall there is a lot to like in the set:
- The picture is very detailed and rock solid. In fact, I find the image to appear far more sharp and detailed than the plasmas did. As for PQ, I think it is technically worse than the plasmas but it is more pleasing to my eyes. There appears to be less judder, and on some content I found the plasma to be too "contrasty". I think the reason I like the LCD better is because I spent so much time with my rear-projection unit and was used to the less-than-stellar black levels.After some fiddling I was able to get colors the way I wanted them for the most part but its not perfect. I used the Disney WOW disc for calibration.
- I like the Panasonic menu system.
- I don't have a CRT monitor to test for lag but I can tell you that I don't detect it in "Game" mode any more than on the plasmas. However, the non "game" modes are noticeably laggy but that's to be expected.
- The internet platform and apps, media player, etc. are the same as the plasmas, and I liked those. I also like the iOS app that Panny has for their sets.
- Motion handling also seems fine.
- Passive 3D is far and away the better solution right now, at least for me. No flicker and no crosstalk which were both a big issue for me on the plasmas. Yes, you lose some detail but from a normal viewing distance it works very well in practice.
The Bad: Unfortunately there are plenty of negatives as well:
- Black levels are not good, but as I stated above this doesn't bother me too much as I rarely watch movies and never in a darkened room.
- In "Game" mode there is an odd visual artifact that is sometimes visible on glowing bright colors that shows up as very regular vertical bands. This goes away as soon as you switch the TV to a non-game picture mode. It doesn't show up often but it is occasionally noticeable in some game content. (I noticed it in the glowing blue sections of Marcus' uniform in Gears of War 3). Not sure what is causing that. You can see it in certain regular TV content if you leave the "Game" mode on so it's not in the source.
- There are no detailed color correction controls in the menus, so if you can't fix a color imbalance using the standard Color, Tint, and Color Temp, you are out of luck.
- There is some minor flashlighting in the corners and on the left hand side but again this is not something that shows up in normal viewing for me.
- Backlight uniformity issues. The worst thing is that the picture is slightly darker toward the very top and bottom of the screen. This wouldn't be too bad but it is not consistent all the way across and there are patches of lighter and darker screen. When the camera pans horizontally it becomes very apparent and my eye is drawn up to it. Sadly, this is the deal-killer.
So, I am going to return the set. I can say that I do like the TV a lot, and for me it was a better set than the plasmas I tried. If this set did not have the backlight uniformity issues at the top and bottom I would keep it for sure, the overall experience otherwise is pretty great. When the second plasma didn't work out I went ahead and ordered a replacement bulb for my Sony (~$40) so I can just go back to my old TV for now as my wife is very annoyed at the parade of TVs we've had lately and I don't want to exchange yet again in hopes of getting a good panel which might end up being worse. I will say that if my SXRD dies or gets the blobs I will definitely try another 55ET5 and see if I can get a more uniform screen.

i would take it back and get the same model. i have the 42 inch and don't have that problem at all. i just think you got a bad panel. i understand the "wife" thing. i think i have been though at least a dozen tv's over the past year and my wife was getting tired of me switching out all the time. i finally gave the new panasonic led a chance and it's a keeper.
post #199 of 284 Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post

i would take it back and get the same model. i have the 42 inch and don't have that problem at all. i just think you got a bad panel. i understand the "wife" thing. i think i have been though at least a dozen tv's over the past year and my wife was getting tired of me switching out all the time. i finally gave the new panasonic led a chance and it's a keeper.

It is tempting, but since I already invested in the bulb for my old TV I am just going to save my money and go back to using it. My thinking is that now I can wait until the prices go down next year and maybe buy another 55ET5 then when they get down to around $1000. Who knows, I've been using a 55" for about 3 months now so I might really miss those extra 5 inches when I go back to the 50" SXRD.
post #200 of 284 Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM

I wish I could find one on display so I can see the screen before buying it. No one around here has display units.
post #201 of 284 Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM
esj

Looking to purchase the 55 inch model soon,maybe if i wait till sept the price will drop,any issues with yours ? hopefully the pannys last longer then samsung
post #202 of 284 Old 06-30-2012, 01:43 PM

Well, here I go.

Ordered a ET5 47-Inch from Amazon last night. Will have it on the 6th. Went to Best Buy yesterday to check out the 2d model and compared to everything else on the wall it looked quite nice. The IPS panel with no lottery is what really sold me on these units.

It will be my first flat screen TV. Someone should be coming mid week to take the 220lbs CRT off my hands for a bottle of rum and a couple of days later the Panny will take it's place.
post #203 of 284 Old 07-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Wow, so MANY decisions to make. I saw a Panasonic TC-L47E50 (120Hz) in a store and it was amazing. I read a review of the TC-L37E50, and it was equal to the 47" model, as expected. I then went to Panasonic's site, and the 120Hz TC-L37E50 is NOT available, or possible ever even made. Bummer! I wanted to get a real 120Hz unit.

So, I getting down to the wire on a 37" unit that will fit into my 35.5" wide entertainment center. The Panasonic TC-L37E5 (60Hz), the Vizio M370L (60Hz), or maybe a Samsung UN37EH5000F ("Clear Motion" 120, but probably actual 60Hz...site is not specific).

I am still trying to find places that I can see the three on display, or even their larger brothers, but with the same panels. The Panasonics seem to have good reviews, still digging on the others.

Gregg Hill
post #204 of 284 Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Just got back from Costco...and the winner is...the Vizio M370L. Too hard to find the Panasonic TC-L37E5, and the picture on the M370SL was great. Track & field events looked stunning, with no noticeable blur.

Gregg Hill
post #205 of 284 Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
I just ordered the ET5 42 inch - amazon - - any other ET5 owners out there - would like to hear from them - any one calibrated this TV - would like to try good settings when i get mines -

thanks -
post #206 of 284 Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM

would anyone know what the remote codes are for the ET5 42 inch panny ? i want to program my universal remote to work the ET5 - and cant find the remote codes -

i got the TV up - its a nice TV - the blacks are not great - i dont see any major flashlight etc, that would ruin the normal watching - what ever is there is minor - this is a bedroom TV - so i am not being very picky with it -

i got used to Plasma and you cant compare the blacks with plasma - i needed a bright TV for my bedroom - i need to get used to the shiny screen - i was used to Matte screen - my previous TV which i moved to another Bedroom was a Sony xbr4 - 32 inch - and it had a very nice picture - this TV being bigger is nice - i got to get used to screen and black levels -

i think the LED TVs are not as good with black levels compared to the older back light types - i could be wrong - other models could be darker - i guess if you got the high end model etc, - overall its a nice TV for everyday viewing - i use it with over the air mostly

dvds and blu rays not so much - i like to use my plasma for good movies etc, at night -

so does anyone have the codes for this TV - would be helpful -

thanks
post #207 of 284 Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Does anyone have Calibrated settings for this TV - 42 inch ET5 ?

some settings i did find from Flatpanel TV etc, - they dont add up - i dont have those features on my Advanced menu - ? does anyone else have this TV ET5 who can explain more about the menu - maybe i am missing something -

but the very few settings i did find - i didnt have those features to adjust when i go in my menu - like True Cinema -- i have Cinema - but not true Cinema - then when i go to Advanced settings - i dont have any settings for Gama - - or intelligent Frame Creation -

white balance - R- Gain - etc,

can someone give me some input on this -

thanks
post #208 of 284 Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 PM

My friend and I were able to set up my 55ET5 and his 55ST50 side-by-side for a few hours. We invited over a few friends that were also interested in the comparison. I wouldn't consider any of us videophiles and there wasn't anything technical about our comparisons. There were 7 of us there - 4 had LED/LCD and 3 had plasmas as there 'primary' TVs. We had a bunch of shows recorded on DVR that we used for various comparisions. From the DVR, we connected the ST50 via component and the ET5 via HDMI. The ST50 had been run through the 100 hr break-in with the D-nice calibration settings applied. We did change the gamma setting and color temp as we preferred a little brighter/cooler picture. We used the Disney WOW calibration DVD for the ET5. The ET5 does not have the advanced picture controls of the ST50(in custom mode), so I suppose you could say the ET5 starts at a slight disadvantage. Nonetheless, here is how we saw it:

1. screen reflectivity - our setup was in a basement with 2 large windows; we closed the blinds to eliminate any direct sunlight in the room, but it was still bright enough to easily read a book without any lights on; with the TVs turned off you could easily see the ST50 was better at reducing reflections; our own reflections were much brighter and more noticeable on the ET5

2. screen uniformity - when we turned on the TVs and got them to a 'no signal' screen, the ST50 had a completely uniform black screen while the ET5 displayed a fair amount of cloudiness/light bleed; it wasn't excessive, but easily noticed by everyone in the room

3. blacks - we watched a dark scene in CSI where there was a person sitting at a table and the background was completely black; that background on ST50 looked inky black, while the ET5 almost had a hint of blue to it; I didn't realize this watching the ET5 on its own, but seeing them side-by-side really showed the difference in blacks; the ST50 also showed a lot more detail within dark scenes; we could also notice some the cloudiness/light bleeding in one of the corners of the ET5 during these dark scenes

4. whites/brightness - this is where I thought the ET5 would shine, and it did - sort of; we viewed a BP commercial that displays a completely white screen with the BP logo in the center; the ET5 showed a bright white screen, while the ST50 looked yellowish/gray in comparison; we also viewed some hockey highlights and the ice was noticeably brighter on the ET5; surprisingly, on scenes where white wasn't the predominant color on the screen(e.g. watching the news with the anchor wearing a white dress shirt under a suit coat), we actually thought the ST50 whites were brighter; also surprising was that we all thought the overall picture was slightly brighter on the ST50

5. color - both were pretty good, but the ST50 colors were simply more vivid; we watched some of the Olympic trials and the reds/yellows/greens had more pop on the ST50

6. motion - we didn't see a big difference here; we had the motion smoothing settings set to 'off' on the ST50 and 'weak' on the ET5; there didn't appear to be much of a soap opera effect with this setting; we watched several sports highlights and thought both did well; we did notice a bit more blur with a fast-moving hockey puck on the ET5, but nobody found it objectionable

7. viewing angle - we all knew the ST50 would be better here, but I thought the ET5 would perform well considering it is an IPS panel; I was a little dissappointed at how quickly the picture darkened as you moved off center; I have a 37" Vizio LED/LCD that has a much better viewing angle

8. sharpness - we didn't notice any difference in sharpness; we thought both sets displayed a crisp, clear image

9. buzz - with the sound muted the ET5 was completely silent; the ST50 emitted a slight buzz on very bright screens(e.g. the BP commercial) and you had to be within about 5 ft of the TV; with the volume even at a low level, we couldn't hear the buzz

10. 3D - we all agreed that 3D wasn't a deciding factor and nobody had much interest in comparing 3D on these sets

So that's it in a nutshell. Of the 7 people there, 6 chose the ST50 as the better TV. The one person that chose the ET5 is a hockey fanatic and admitted he was won over by the bright whites of the ice. It's interesting because the ET5 looks pretty darn good on its own and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying one; but stacked up against the ST50 you can really see the differences. For me, it's enough of a difference that I'm exchanging the ET5 for a ST50.
post #209 of 284 Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

some settings i did find from Flatpanel TV etc, - they dont add up - i dont have those features on my Advanced menu - ? does anyone else have this TV ET5 who can explain more about the menu - maybe i am missing something -

I believe those settings are referring to the European version of the set, which for some reason has more picture controls exposed than the N.A. model.

When I had the 55ET5 I found the best picture was achieved by putting the set on "Cinema" mode, lowering the backlight, putting color temp on Normal, and going from there.
post #210 of 284 Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfred View Post

I believe those settings are referring to the European version of the set, which for some reason has more picture controls exposed than the N.A. model.
When I had the 55ET5 I found the best picture was achieved by putting the set on "Cinema" mode, lowering the backlight, putting color temp on Normal, and going from there.

Hi - thanks - you mention when you had == you dont have it anymore ? any bad reason ?

i got this model - for my bedroom - i wasnt looking to spend alot - i dont do much if any real movie watching in my bedroom - i dont expect it to perform as a plasma -- which i do agree is much better with blacks for one -

i tried a plasma in my bedroom before - it was an LG model last year - and it was too dark - the TV is in a brighter room than my main movie TV - and its near the windows - after i trying the LG plasma - i figured its best to try a LCD - LED etc, - and i ended up with this model for a few reasons - the price is decent for the size and its 3D - not a big deal but since i was buying a new TV - why not have it and experience it for myself - its passive which is good - glasses are free - i didnt want to spend a few hundred on active glasses for very little if any use -

and i did want a bright screen for this room - now all said and done - its a very nice TV - picture is pretty much as good as any in the price range - the only real drawback is the blacks - i am used to my plasma - so thats disappointing - but i havnt calibrated it - and was hoping to find someone who has calibrated theres so i can try there settings -

and your right about those settings - from the European models - i dont have those settings on my TV - which is a bit strange - Out of the Box - its not a bad Picture - even standard mode was ok - i tried looking around for settings - but seems hard to find for this model TV -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc L55wt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc L55e50 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page