Official Panasonic 2012 LCD Lineup and Information Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 284 Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I thought I would start a new thread on this. It looks like Panasonic did not mention a lot of their technical refinements to their LCD TV lineup at CES, but it can be found here:

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/viera/t...s/led_lcd.html

Been looking for a TV for a while with input lag as low as Panasonics' TVs, has 4:4:4/Chroma subsampling (Panasonics don't, at least last years), blacks that are deep like the VAs of Samsungs, and good enough to be used as a PC monitor. So far this years Panasonics look to be on the right track. However, this year Panasonic has decided to go with an all LED lineup, which most likely is edge-lit, meaning there could be clouding which I am not a fan of.

Here is the Press Release:

Panasonic Expands and Enhances 2012 LED/LCD Model Line-up

New Larger Screen Sizes, Focus on LED, Augmented VIERA Connect™ and Continual Technology Improvements Cement Panasonic's Total Commitment to Smart VIERA LED LCD HDTVs

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Panasonic Corporation of North America (NYSE: PC), the industry and technology leader in High Definition Televisions, introduced an increased 2012 Smart VIERA line-up of LED LCD HDTVs defining the core of a new IPTV lifestyle at the Consumer Electronics Show, confirming Panasonic's commitment to provide the highest quality home entertainment experience and viewing options to the consumer. The advent of Smart VIERA HDTV centers on five main points: Networking, Easy Operation, Picture Quality, Eco and Design elements. The 2012 series focuses on larger screen sizes and LED based HDTVs, with 14 of the 16 models incorporating LED technology. Adhering to its long standing focus on providing products that consumers ask for, Panasonic added 47 inch and 55 inch screen sizes to its LED/LCD family and its 3D line up.

The 2012 line-up continues to benefit from the addition of the IPS LED LCD Panel (In Plane Switching) technology. The IPS LED LCD Panel delivers a wide viewing angle with almost no picture degradation at off angle viewing, a super high speed 1920 Backlight Scanning for higher moving picture resolution during fast action scenes, reduction of afterglow and a smooth, crisp image. The high performance, high speed, high transmittance panel materials contribute to the wide viewing angle, high contrast performance and fast response time, which in turn dramatically reduces artifacts and 3D crosstalk.

Panasonic is committed to producing HDTVs that are mindful of the environment. The new and improved high efficient LED LCD Panels reduce targeted power consumption up to approximately 25% over last year's models.

VIERA Connect(1), Panasonic's proprietary internet functionality is integrated into 12 of the new models with a new robust platform that provides easy access to such sites as Amazon Instant Video™, Netflix™, Pandora , Facebook, CinemaNow, VUDU, Hulu Plus™, Skype™, Ustream, sports sites – MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS(2), Fox Sports, gaming and health and wellness sites.

"Panasonic's priority continues to be an absolute pledge to provide the consumer with the highest quality entertainment options," said Henry Hauser, Vice President, Panasonic Marketing, the Merchandising Group. "Panasonic has always followed the philosophy of listening to the consumer and producing products that meet the consumer's needs and desires, as well as providing entertainment choices. We recognize that a consumer's decision to purchase a TV entails a myriad of factors, such as viewing environment, type of programming and price. This is precisely why Panasonic is technologically agnostic and why our 2012 line up features increased screen sizes, as well as three TVs that use polarized 3D technology."

WT50 Series
The state of the Art design, WT50 LED series marks the debut of the two new, larger screen sizes, the TC-L47WT50, 47 inch class (47 inches measured diagonally) and the TC-L55WT50, 55 inch class (54.5 inches measured diagonally). The WT50 HDTVs feature the FULL HD 3D, IPS LED LCD Panel; Super High Speed 1920 Backlight Scanning for higher moving picture resolution during fast action scenes, and a smooth, crisp image; 1080p resolution; VIERA Connect with built-in WiFi and Web Browser; a new Clear Panel Pro and Super-Narrow Metal Frame with Crescent Stand; 2D --> 3D conversion; Social Networking TV function to allow users to access social network sites while simultaneously watching TV; Multitasking feature to switch between apps; 3D Real Sound with 8-Train Speakers, providing immersive sound experience; Media Player, allows one to view digital images and HD video recorded on a SD Memory Card; DLNA; VIERA Touch Pad Controller; four HDMI terminals and three USB ports. The series is Energy Star* certified.

DT50 Series
Continuing Panasonic's move to larger LED screen sizes, the DT50 series, which provides Smart TV experience, includes two models, the TC-L47DT50, 47 inch class (47 inches measured diagonally)and the TC-L55DT50, 55 inch class (54.5 inches measured diagonally). Featuring the FULL HD 3D, IPS LED LCD Panel: Super High Speed 1920 Backlight Scanning for higher moving picture resolution during fast action scenes and a smooth, crisp image, the DT50 series includes VIERA Connect with built-in WiFi and Web Browser; a new Narrow Metal Frame; 1080p resolution; 2D --> 3D conversion; Social Networking TV function; 3D Real Sound with 8-Train Speakers; Media Player; DLNA; four HDMI terminals; three USB ports. In addition, the two DT50 LED HDTVs are Energy Star* certified.

ET5 Series
The three models that comprise the ET5 series feature FULL HD polarized 3D, IPS LED LCD Panel. The TC-L42ET5, 42 inch class (42 inches measured diagonally), TC-L47ET5, 47 inch class (47 inches measured diagonally); and TC-L55ET5, 55 inch class (54.6 inches measured diagonally) incorporate the IPS LED panel, 360 Backlight Scanning for higher moving picture resolution during fast action scenes, and a smooth, crisp image; VIERA Connect with built-in WiFi and Web Browser; 2D --> 3D conversion; Social Networking TV function; Media Player; DLNA; four HDMI and two USB terminals; a PC input. Furthermore, each of the ET5s comes with 4 pairs of polarized 3D glasses. The ET5 series is also Energy Star* certified.

E50 Series
The E50 series features the IPS LED LCD Panel, a slim design and brilliant picture and is available in three screen sizes, TC-L42E50, 42 inch class (42 inches measured diagonally); TC-L47E50, 47 inch class (47 inches measured diagonally); TC-L55E50, 55 inch class (54.6 inches measured diagonally). Featuring 360 Backlight Scanning for higher moving picture resolution during fast action scenes, and a crisp image the E50 models also feature1080p resolution; VIERA Connect; Social Networking TV function; DLNA; a PC input; four HDMI terminals; two USB ports. The series is ready and Energy Star* certified.

E5 Series
The four LED HDTVs in the E5 series include the IPS LED LCD Panel, feature 1080p resolution; Online Movies a service that provides select Panasonic's IPTV functionality by adding five of the most popular movies to the TV's internet functionality; DLNA; four HDMI terminals; two USB ports and a PC input. The TC-L32E5, 32 inch class (31.5 inches measured diagonally), TC-L37E5, 37 inch class (36.5 inches measured diagonally), TC-L42E5 inches class (42 inches measured diagonally) and TC-L47E5 inches class (47 inches measured diagonally) are ready and both are Energy Star* certified.

X5 Series
The TC-L32X5, 32 inch class (31.5 inches measured diagonally) is a720p IPS LED LCD Panel. The TV features Media Player; three HDMI terminals; one USB port and a PC input. The X5 series also offers the TC-L24X5, 1080p LED LCD Panel, 24 inch class (23.6 inches measured diagonally) featuring one HDMI terminal; one USB, a PC input and Game Mode. The L32X5 is Eco efficient and is Energy Star* certified.

U5 Series
The TC-L42U5, 42 inch class (42 inches measured diagonally) is one of two LCD HDTVs (cold cathode backlighting) in the 2012 collection. The TV is a 1080p model with three HDMI terminals; one USB port, a PC input and Game Mode..

C5 Series
The TC-L32C5, 32 inch class (31.5 inches measured diagonally) is a 720p, LCD HDTV (cold cathode backlighting) with two HDMI terminals; one USB port, a PC Input and Game Mode.
* Based on EPA's Energy Star Program

About Panasonic Consumer Marketing Company of North America
Based in Secaucus, N.J., Panasonic Consumer Marketing Company of North America, a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American Subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation (NYSE: PC) and the hub of Panasonic's U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations, offers a wide-range of consumer solutions in the U.S. and Canada. The Company's portfolio of innovative consumer products ranges from VIERA Full HD 3D Televisions, Blu-ray players, LUMIX Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Home Audio, Cordless Phones, Home Appliances,
Wellness and Personal Care products and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 284 Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

If you guys didn't want to click the link, this is what it says:

1. New High-speed Response Panel

In addition to the advantageous high-speed response of the IPS Panel, blurring has been thoroughly reduced by a newly developed 8-phase backlight scanning technology. Even scenes with super-fast movement can be viewed with smooth images and no flicker.

2. Wide Viewing Angle

The use of the special filters and a new technology to precisely align the liquid crystal materials have further enhanced the wide viewing angle. Rich, deep colors can be viewed from any angle―left, right, up or down.

3. High-speed Scan

Newly developed APD (Advanced Pre-charged Driving) technology has raised the scan speed to 1.4ms. This minimizes the overlapping of left and right images to achieve natural 3D images with less double images.

4. Further Reduction of Power Consumption

New liquid crystal materials* and a high-aperture-ratio IPS panel combine to increase transmissive efficiency. High-efficiency LCDs are also employed for the backlight, and the LED drive path has been improved to reduce power consumption by approximately 25%**. This achieves the top class of energy-savings in LCD panels.
* Only for the WT and DT Series.
** The rate of power consumption reduction varies depending on the model.
post #3 of 284 Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hopefully some of the features do not increase input lag.
post #4 of 284 Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I`m waiting to hear more about the WT50 47".

If you have a release date or more info , please post ! Thanks

G. 
post #5 of 284 Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Liked: 25
all edge lit? pffffffffffft
post #6 of 284 Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

From the various LED - Edge-Lite tv`s that I have seen , they look alright , some bleed , but nothing I couldn`t live with.

Last year I had an XBR-929 , and returned it because my 4 1/2 year old XBR-2 look soooo much better , and the 929`s have full array LED-Backlighting.

I saw an edge lite Toshiba 515U and there was slight bleeding on a blank screen , but the picture looked way better then the 929 that I had and the 3D wasn`t bad either.

Holding out for the WT50 both for quality and picture ( I hope I`m right about the quality ). As well as outstanding features and the BIG plus is the 8 Element Train Speaker sys. with back mounted Sub.

I know , there is no way it can beat a 5.1 set-up , but I should be able to watch regular programing without firing up my 5.1 set-up !

I know , no space for real speakers , but maybe Panasonic is on to something.

My XBR2 has 6 drivers total left and right center tweeters with twin mid-bass drivers.
And I can drive it fairly loud if I have to with no distortion !

Toshiba is said to be improving the sound on there L7200U series as well.

So maybe others will follow and put sound back in the tv !

August will be the time for the new XBR`s , so plenty to think about , as always.

Later

G. 
post #7 of 284 Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Am I crazy or does the ET5 look like a fun panel to look forward to? An IPS panel with panasonic's reputation of low lag/latency in 55" with polarized 3d sounds like something I would be interested in-- assuming the set arrives with a modicum of performance. With their reputation in plasma I would expect these new "premium" LCDs to have good black levels and above-average uniformity. I know passive 3d is sort of frowned upon but, let's face it, 3d is dumb and gimmicky and the only time it's any fun is when you invite te friends/family over to watch some inane animated flick with the 'theater' experience. Polarized 3d is cheap and no doubt works about as well as it does in the cinema-- which is to say: "maybe not quite worth the eye-ache, but I guess when that giant meatball jumped out of the screen it was sort of cool..."

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 284 Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just incase you haven`t seen Panasonic`s 2012 tv web-site , here is a link:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...ct/wt_lcd.html

Looks like a good tv !

Later ,

G. 
post #9 of 284 Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM

does anyone know what the 360 backlight scanning is? is this edge lit?
post #10 of 284 Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Anyone have any pricing on the 55"DT-50?
post #11 of 284 Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes , it is "Edge-Lit" with local dimming , I can only assume the the WT series will have what used to be called AI Picture , and that is a good thing.

I also would imagine that it will have what used to be called AI Sound , where it as the enhanced audio.

I really would not be to hung up on "Full Array" .

No price point at this time , not even a release date until it is "officially announced" at the end of Feb. , almost there , then we will know more.

The web link I provided gives a ton of info ( a few post up ).

No pricing for the DT series , again we will have to wait for official announcement from Panasonic.

There are a few sites that give pricing for the WT , but I would not trust them. IMO !

Right now my biggest problem 3D ! Active or Passive glasses , I have demoed both and for me the passive seem better , but the WT uses active.

Where I live there is a ton of stuff on Comcast that is 3D , well considering it is still relatively new , and there is "talk" of the Olympic Games in 3D as well as the All-Star" game , IMO still to early to tell if it will happen.

However I get ESPN3D and Comcast3D / 24-7 , plus a bunch of On-Demand 3D.

So it is something I would use , so the glasses will play a factor in my decision , although it is extremely possible that the technology will make up my mind for me !! LOL

Later ,

G. 
post #12 of 284 Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM

thank you jedi. i am interested in the E50 series for my bedroom 55" the $1099 price tag is appealing.

i can't find the refresh rate on the set anywhere i am assuming 120hz. have you seen it anywhere?

how is the form factor the pics on the panasonic site don't show it off well.have you found more pics anywhere?
post #13 of 284 Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am a big gamer who demands low input lag, so these days I pretty much see Panasonic as the last great hope.

I purchased one of their D30 models last year, and it's a terrific set for gaming. 120hz and it has 30ms of lag. Very good compared to most tvs on the market today. The tv also had a beautiful design, and very good sound. The D30 was edge lit and clouding was very minimal on my 42 inch set. Very faint clouding in the bottom right corner.

So for those of you excited about these new Panasonic's, you have reason to be. If they're even better than last year's models, they're going to be amazing. I just wish they'd announce pricing and release dates.

post #14 of 284 Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Looks like they have completely abandoned the 32" and 37" 3D capable LCD Tv's. I wonder why?
post #15 of 284 Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunswithAliens View Post

Looks like they have completely abandoned the 32" and 37" 3D capable LCD Tv's. I wonder why?

Probably because the market for people wanting 3Dtvs at that size is tiny. It was silly of them to release them so small last year. They sold quite poorly.

post #16 of 284 Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

Probably because the market for people wanting 3Dtvs at that size is tiny. It was silly of them to release them so small last year. They sold quite poorly.

If that is so, I wonder why they sold out so quickly? I mean they became unavailable fairly early after release last year. Also to say the market is tiny is to discount the growing amount of 3d capable 23" and 27" computer monitors and so 32" and 37" tvs to use for 3D gaming seems like it would also be a growing market for gaming use.
post #17 of 284 Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunswithAliens View Post

If that is so, I wonder why they sold out so quickly? I mean they became unavailable fairly early after release last year. Also to say the market is tiny is to discount the growing amount of 3d capable 23" and 27" computer monitors and so 32" and 37" tvs to use for 3D gaming seems like it would also be a growing market for gaming use.

On another forum there is a Panasonic employee who regularly interacts with people. He indicated that the "buy in" was quite poor from retailers on those models, precisely because they didn't believe there was a big market for small 3Dtvs. So, I suspect they slowed production later last year, and have stopped producing them at this point.

It was not a matter of them selling well. Just limited production.

post #18 of 284 Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I wouldn't expect deep blacks, it's not in the nature of any IPS panel including IPS-alpha.

I imagine a full array, local dimming backlight would have helped, but i see no mention of them.

Too bad CCFL has disappeared, now we are stuck with Edge-lit.
post #19 of 284 Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65GT30-65-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME75Q/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329066829&sr=1-15

I don't think this is a 2012 version, but I don't know much about TVs and wanted to see if this was a good deal for a Panasonic. Thanks guys.
post #20 of 284 Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec32 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65GT30-65-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME75Q/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329066829&sr=1-15

I don't think this is a 2012 version, but I don't know much about TVs and wanted to see if this was a good deal for a Panasonic. Thanks guys.

That is a 2011 Panasonic plasma.

post #21 of 284 Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

I wouldn't expect deep blacks, it's not in the nature of any IPS panel including IPS-alpha.

I imagine a full array, local dimming backlight would have helped, but i see no mention of them.

Too bad CCFL has disappeared, now we are stuck with Edge-lit.

Exactly why I bought a L32U3 from Best Buy when they were on sale for $329.00 one week ago. I don't understand what Panasonic was thinking making all their TVs LED when they are all Edge-lit...
post #22 of 284 Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Anyone have a clue if E5 or E50 have picture in picture?
post #23 of 284 Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you read the reviews so far they say that the black level is the best that they have ever measured...including the Elite which has stolen the crown from the Kuro....you are making a mistake focusing on just the fact that they are using IPS technology, there are other things going on that have a profound affect on black levels.
post #24 of 284 Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

If you read the reviews so far they say that the black level is the best that they have ever measured...including the Elite which has stolen the crown from the Kuro....you are making a mistake focusing on just the fact that they are using IPS technology, there are other things going on that have a profound affect on black levels.

links please. nothing on cnet yet
post #25 of 284 Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00firebird View Post

links please. nothing on cnet yet

Technically there aren't any full reviews yet, however there is a pretty in depth preview here:
http://hdguru.com/panasonic-2012-tc-...t-review/7619/
post #26 of 284 Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 17
well the et5s are in stores in england and i had a look and play with this tv the other day and i have to say that the picture quality is amazing.

At first glance the screen does look glossy not matte, but i don't know if this will be the same in the us? The viewing angles were very good and i didn't notice any drop off in the picture when viewing from different angles. The design imo is pretty neat and looks well built not flimsy.

The picture in HD was sharp vibrant and colourful. In terms of the 300hz it's actually 100hz (120) in the us with backlight scanning, after seeing this tv the other day i'm actually interested in the et50 which from the pictures look awesome it has 200hz.
post #27 of 284 Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts View Post

all edge lit? pffffffffffft

Why not? The average consumer seem to think Samsung is the top dog in TV land.
post #28 of 284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
At the 2012 Panasonic sight the E50 has 360 deg backlight scanning, the E5 has 180 deg. Anyone know what that feature is?
post #29 of 284 Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

At the 2012 Panasonic sight the E50 has 360 deg backlight scanning, the E5 has 180 deg. Anyone know what that feature is?

Well I found this today, so if anyone else wants to know, read this.
http://hdguru.com/beware-of-phony-lc...726/#more-7726
post #30 of 284 Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

In reality , should we be so hung up on scan rates ?

True , 60 Hz is poor , I know. So 120 Hz. IS a hardware improvement.

From my understanding , and please correct me if I`m wrong , anything over 120 Hz is in fact a hardware / software improvement.

My XBR 2 , has a scan rate of 60 Hz.

At times the picture will breakdown , so at the time when my set was made there was room for a hardware improvement , so next generations have a minimum of 120 Hz.

120 Hz is the hardware improvement that was needed.

Now anything above that for HD / 1920 X 1080 is a software improvement.
In other words , the components that drive the panel itself.

What can the human eye see ?

What is a marketing tool and what isn`t ?

I truly thing that 120 Hz for a base line measurement is correct for non 3D.

For passive 3D a software based scan rate of 240 Hz ( base ) is needed.

For active 3D a hardware base of 120 Hz for each eye is needed.

I think anything higher is good and should be considered , but not a buying factor.

Like I said , if I am found to be incorrect , please post your explanation.
Panasonic'sI`m still waiting to download the WT50 Owners Manual.

Atleast it is now on Panasonic's web site , so maybe soon we will have more info.

Later

G. 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc L55wt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc L55e50 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page