Problem with Samsung LCD 46", Help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The tv was bought just shy of 4 years ago & the warranty has 12 days left on it. I bought it @ futureshop.

Recently, when it's turned on in the morning, parts of the screen turn a dark colour, typically the left half is worse, but other times it takes up all of the screen, except the top two or three inches, but on a couple of occasions, it was so dark the pic was barely visable from top to bottom, side to side.

Also, sometimes the left side of the screen from the left edge over perhaps 3 inches or so, gets a white bar that can run halfway up, or all the way up to the top of the screen.

After it's on for a few minutes it seems to go back to normal but it's happening almost every day..it seems to redraw the picture so to speak slowly, changing back to normal.

For anyone that works at repairing tv's, or has experience, what's the most likely problem(s)?

We've taken good care of it but it has had a lot of use since it was bought, perhaps as much as twice the average.

Side note...I contacted the service dept, & they said I should hear from the serviceman within two days.

Thanks for any ideas of the likely problem in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Almost 100 views. Here's a link to a youtube video showing the problem but not the white bar that shows sometimes on the left side. Hope it helps an lcd guru figure out the cause. I'll check back tomorrow, thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbkjbGSP1Ws
post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Personally... I'd utilize your "warranty" before expecting a definitive answer/resolution here.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Personally... I'd utilize your "warranty" before expecting a definitive answer/resolution here.

Good advise.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah, if my set was broke, and still under warranty, I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time hoping someone here could tell me what's wrong. I'd be on the honker, getting a repair tech out here!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

What could it hurt to ask here before we get someone to look @ it?

I considered it to be useful to have opinions hopefully based on experience. Perhaps by chance, someone might have had knowledge of this & may have posted some good advice on things to ask the repair person. We're an older couple & don't know a lot about these relatively new tvs.

Rooski...do you always mouth off before you think, or just feel that adding nothing is useful? Perhaps you just like to waste your time too.
I posted that I did get on "the honker" & they will be here when they can. So while we wait, where's the harm? It's my time, who are you to say how I use it.

Next time someone new comes here asking for help, try to be polite please. Don't just jump in & talk without saying anything.

Now there, that's some useful advice to all. Thanks for nothing.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstmate View Post

What could it hurt to ask here before we get someone to look @ it?

I considered it to be useful to have opinions hopefully based on experience. Perhaps by chance, someone might have had knowledge of this & may have posted some good advice on things to ask the repair person. We're an older couple & don't know a lot about these relatively new tvs.

Rooski...do you always mouth off before you think, or just feel that adding nothing is useful? Perhaps you just like to waste your time too.
I posted that I did get on "the honker" & they will be here when they can. So while we wait, where's the harm? It's my time, who are you to say how I use it.

Next time someone new comes here asking for help, try to be polite please. Don't just jump in & talk without saying anything.

Now there, that's some useful advice to all. Thanks for nothing.

I apologize if I sounded rude, as I didn't mean to be. The fact is, and you even said it yourself, after 100 view, no one responded with anything helpful, and the responses after that were similar to mine.

We're not mean people, it's just that there is no way you can really get much help with your particular problem from any forum. Even if a tech came on here and told you "Oh yeah, I've seen that before. You need to replace the main control board", are you going to do it yourself, or are you still going to get it repaired under warranty. I know what I would do.

So, please don't hold any grudges against me, or this forum, as there are some really helpful people, here. They're not all sarcastic idiots, like me

Be happy that your set broke within 12 days of the warranty expiration, and not 2 weeks from now. You're a lucky man!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
You have to relax. Take the advice and hopefully your warranty will cover your problem(s).

FWIW, if I were a tech coming in to diagnose/repair your TV, the last thing I'd want is to have someone "tell" me what the problem is based on guesses from the internet. If you didn't have a warranty, then you have a real gripe.

It may just be a bad flux capacitor.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

You have to relax. Take the advice and hopefully your warranty will cover your problem(s).

FWIW, if I were a tech coming in to diagnose/repair your TV, the last thing I'd want is to have someone "tell" me what the problem is based on guesses from the internet. If you didn't have a warranty, then you have a real gripe.

It may just be a bad flux capacitor.

Sign I saw posted in an auto repair shop some 40 years ago:

Labor rate:

$20 an hour

If you watch-$30 an hour

If you help-$40 an hour

If you worked on it first-$50 an hour.

Steve S.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member