Played the LG Panel Lottery. Here is what I won - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally tried to buy an LG 32LK450 from newegg for the promotion price of 299$ but the newegg promo system was malfunctioning and would not let me enter it all day during the 24hr sale on new years. so I ended up having to email them multiple times and finally after threatening false advertisement of an unavailable promotion price due to very irritating system errors they only gave me a 70 dollar discount instead of 100.

So it came in the mail yesterday and I checked out the panel inside.

And so I ended up with this: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=12302

An A-Mva panel from AUO Optronics. Googling this shows it to be a samsung panel, or at least it was widely used in samsung 32inchers 2 years ago.

Don't have a camera to take pics of the pixels ATM but there's really no need as I already know what the panel is.

So here's my question... I got this TV (using it for a computer monitor) for 330$

The picture IMO is pretty good, but nothing compared to plasma (i ve never seen an s-ips so I wouldn't know what I'm missing)

What's your opinion, should I sell this? And if I do what should I buy? (Same price range 350ish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Come on people I need advice from some experts! Just because I'm okay with the picture I saw while testing it with a usb stick (of color spectrum etc jpg pics) doesn't mean I will be happy with it gaming and watching movies down the road.

And if I want to sell it I can't take all the parts out of the original packaging to really test it. I've been on this forum for a while just lurking, so I have a good deal of knowledge about what monitors/HDTVs to buy in this price range.

I was looking at the westinghouse 37" but I'm not sure if I trust westinghouse. I have a Hannspree 28" ST28MUB 1080p HDTV w TN Panel. It looks like crap, but for a TN panel it is actually pretty decent.

Please let me know your opinions and advice on what I should do with the lk450; sell it or keep it or what. I can post a picture of the pixels using binoculars and a magnifying glass and duct tape if that would help.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM

All i can say there's no TV in this price category i would trade my 42LK450 S-IPS for. I was looking for 32-37" LK450 as well, primarily as a PC monitor, couldn't find one with an IPS panel, so i bought VA variant. Well, it wasn't bad, it was good and i would keep it, but then i've found 42LK450 S-IPS.

Pros compared to the VA variant :

1. Better colors
2. Far better view angles
3. Better pixel response time

Cons :

1. Not so good black level.

So it was a no brainer which one to keep. Even though i didn't plan for 42" and it gave me some problems, at first(with space).
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 12
I agree with JoshZH's pros and cons. When comparing the S-IPS and VA panels of the LD450 (last year's version of the LK450), I also prefer the PQ of the S-IPS. Was it a night-and-day difference better? No way. If I didn't know the existence of one or the other, I would have been happy with either panel.

Granted, I don't have a colorimeter to quantify the differences, but from eye-ball adjustments using test patterns, the S-IPS was the winner in my eyes.

By the way, how did you find out the panel make of your TV? From what I heard, you need to detach the entire back casing to see the panel sticker hidden within. Is that what you did?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

By the way, how did you find out the panel make of your TV? From what I heard, you need to detach the entire back casing to see the panel sticker hidden within. Is that what you did?

Though taking apart things is second nature to me I did not have to as I have a micro-cam (almost like the ones used in surgery) that I poked around inside the vents until I found it.

I can still return the tv right now or sell it on craigslist and make money on it. I have it on craigslist right now for 370 so if I get some hits on it then I will probably just order another lk450 and hope for an S-IPS. or buy one at a walk in store if it is a decent price and I can verify it has an S-Ips by serial number. Maybe even stick my microcam through the box into the vents at the store lol.

I'm willing to spend over 400 if I can get a bigger screen, like the 42LK450. Or maybe a plasma as I'd be willing to spend a little bit more for a plasma. I don't even know if they make plasmas in ~30" to <42"

I'm gonna have to go to the drawing board because my actual main "Family Tv" AKA my 42 inch 1080p MVA vizio just started showing " permanent watermarks" I'm an idiot and should of caught it sooner because then I could have kept it cooler with a pc fan exhaust as the one I just put on it is now making a difference, once it warms up the watermark does not show up as bad. Though maybe its just bad capacitors.

I was thinking about maybe swapping an s-ips panel into my vizio or buying and repairing a broken plasma off craigslists/ebay. Or is this a bad idea? I'm surprised to not find many threads about people upgrading screens through a search.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The blacks are better on the AUO panel than on an IPS. I have an AUO panel on my Samsung 37B650 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I don't under this obsessive compulsion with IPS panels. If they are so great, why aren't they used by more manufacturers?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM

Only a few companies manufacture large(32"+) IPS panels and only one - 47"/55".

They don't want to share, i guess ?

As for "nothing wrong with my AUO", of course there's nothing wrong, narrow view angles/trailing/8-bit - part of the technology. As bad black level - part of the IPS technology.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

Only a few companies manufacture large(32"+) IPS panels and only one - 47"/55".

They don't want to share, i guess ?

As for "nothing wrong with my AUO", of course there's nothing wrong, narrow view angles/trailing/8-bit - part of the technology. As bad black level - part of the IPS technology.

Don't know about you, but I watch my TVs from the front, not the side. Admittedly, the viewing angle drops off a bit if you get more than 60 degrees or so to the right or left, but that's not where our seating area is, so to each his own.

Trailing??? What trailing??? Come over and watch mine.

8-bit??? Who cares as long as the colors pop and the picture is crisp & pure.

At least I don't have to worry about ghosting, clouding, flahlighting, gray blacks, dirty whites, etc.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Don't know about you, but I watch my TVs from the front, not the side. Admittedly, the viewing angle drops off a bit if you get more than 60 degrees or so to the right or left, but that's not where our seating area is, so to each his own.

Closer you sit, worse they get. You probably should read OP more carefully :

Quote:

(using it for a computer monitor)

With 32"-42" at that distance even a slightest head movement will get you gamma/contrast shift.

Quote:

Trailing??? What trailing??? Come over and watch mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_cQUgoOXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBD2wRgiAo

Quote:

8-bit??? Who cares as long as the colors pop and the picture is crisp & pure.

Right...

Quote:

At least I don't have to worry about ghosting, clouding, flahlighting, gray blacks, dirty whites, etc.

I don't know what are you referring to, as only "gray blacks" is exclusively applicable.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

Closer you sit, worse they get. You probably should read OP more carefully :

With 32"-42" at that distance even a slightest head movement will get you gamma/contrast shift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_cQUgoOXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBD2wRgiAo

Right...

I don't know what are you referring to, as only "gray blacks" is exclusively applicable.

Why are you making such a federal case about what I have? As long as I like it, why should you care? Plenty of folks on here don't have a problem with owning a "lowly" AUO panel as long as it's a good one which mine is.

I merely replied to the Thread Starter that I have no problems with my AUO panel and wondered why so many people want IPS panels. To each his own. You're the one who took this thread in an entirely different direction. I just made a comment. If he wants a big honking plasma or an 80" Sharp Elite for his computer, I DON'T CARE.

Have a great day!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at those youtube videos seems the samsung 32" hdtv's have ghosting problems, like what the hell I had a 500 mhz laptop back in the day that ghosted when playing half life about as much as those samsung videos joshz posted. I can't believe this is still an issue.

All I want to know is, will my AUO have this problem?!?!?? Right now I could care less about colors, I just need good response time!!

My graphics card is an ATI HD6970, the computer is top of the line. I'm afraid those samsungs have the same MVA panel I have!!!! Thats the grossest thing to me, my blacks can be poo-brown, as long as the response time doesn't make me nauseous!!

My TN Panel is 28" 1920 x 1200, it lines up almost perfectly with my 32lk450 side by side, it would be annoying for one tv to be way slower in response than the other.

I think I'm gonna have to open up the packaging and set it all up and really test it, which won't be good if/when I go to sell it as new, still I will probly get more than if I return it to Newegg.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Dave View Post

I looked at those youtube videos seems the samsung 32" hdtv's have ghosting problems, like what the hell I had a 500 mhz laptop back in the day that ghosted when playing half life about as much as those samsung videos joshz posted. I can't believe this is still an issue.

All I want to know is, will my AUO have this problem?!?!?? Right now I could care less about colors, I just need good response time!!

My graphics card is an ATI HD6970, the computer is top of the line. I'm afraid those samsungs have the same MVA panel I have!!!! Thats the grossest thing to me, my blacks can be poo-brown, as long as the response time doesn't make me nauseous!!

My TN Panel is 28" 1920 x 1200, it lines up almost perfectly with my 32lk450 side by side, it would be annoying for one tv to be way slower in response than the other.

I think I'm gonna have to open up the packaging and set it all up and really test it, which won't be good if/when I go to sell it as new, still I will probly get more than if I return it to Newegg.

might be better off with a 27 or 30 inch computer monitor

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page