Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

So after Sony's top execs swear up and down that my HX929 is as good as it gets, a guy in the HX929 forum posts photos of his 55" on a grey screen. Let's compare...

Mine...

His...

The sample I've provided is EXACTLY how the color looks in-person. Both techs who came out to evaluate it both said that was unacceptable, but it was Sony's tech department who denied their repair requests after seeing photos of the color shift. I wouldn't be upset if everyone's HX929's had this defect, but the fact I've been stuck with a faulty set and their only resolution is to refund my money is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Shame on you Sony, shame on you!

I just saw this post, does anyone have this problem???? am thinking about canceling on buying it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen a few other people come forward speaking of this issue and went through multiple swaps before getting an acceptable panel. Another person said they noticed the same thing when viewing a 46" HX929 in Best Buy, while the salesman acted as if he didn't see what the issue was.

Sony is in complete denial-mode about this defect and I can see this becoming similar to the optical block fiasco. They let the quality control slip on their flagship television and try to play it off as if the problem is non-existent.

Props to you or anyone else who ended up with an HX929 that didn't look like this. I was one of the unlucky few who did and they refuse to approve a repair to make things right. I DEMAND that they repair this television and will not accept a refund.
post #3 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 AM

Their VP of TV Engineering even tried to claim he couldn't be sure which picture was "correct". The lower image is a direct screen capture, copy and pasted into a new image document. He is a blatant LIAR and in full denial that my television is a POS.

Here's what he had to say...

"There does not appear to me to be a problem with the color uniformity, but he may not like the algorithm determining what color is displayed. The Family Guy scene may be the TV or may be his Laptop..I'm not sure which is correct. Nothing we can do about it. I see from the test pattern a slight right edge mura, but that would appear as a shadow and not a color uniformity issue and that is not his complaint. That is also in spec. If the customer is not satisfied with the set I agree at this point we should buy it back and not extend another offer. The HX929 is one the highest rated LCD TV ever by CNET and ENGADGET so it is not like there is anything better we can offer.

- Tim"
post #4 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

I just saw this post, does anyone have this problem???? am thinking about canceling on buying it...

Here we go again!
post #5 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Got some green blobs on my 52XBR4, which is unfortunately out of warranty. The was my replacement for my blob-infested A2000. Silly me thinking I wouldn't have to worry about them on an LCD.

post #6 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Here we go again!

I know right lol, part 3 of the green blob
post #7 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I've seen a few other people come forward speaking of this issue and went through multiple swaps before getting an acceptable panel. Another person said they noticed the same thing when viewing a 46" HX929 in Best Buy, while the salesman acted as if he didn't see what the issue was.

Sony is in complete denial-mode about this defect and I can see this becoming similar to the optical block fiasco. They let the quality control slip on their flagship television and try to play it off as if the problem is non-existent.

Props to you or anyone else who ended up with an HX929 that didn't look like this. I was one of the unlucky few who did and they refuse to approve a repair to make things right. I DEMAND that they repair this television and will not accept a refund.

That's because they gave you the TV at a huge discount to begin with. How is that DEMAND coming these days (just curious).
post #8 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Holy ****...how many of these issues have been reported? I figured Sony would have figured out the adhesive game by now and even WORSE they're denying this is happening just like they did on the SXRD sets?

I guess I'm completely ruling out Sony as of now how disappointing that a brand like Sony is playing the same games that got them in trouble a few years ago.
post #9 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Why not get the refund and buy another HX929 if that is what you want? Your screen doesn't look right at all. What would cause the screen to be like that on these sets?
post #10 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

That's because they gave you the TV at a huge discount to begin with. How are that DEMAND coming these days (just curious).

So getting a HUGE discount on a television that was sold to me to replace another defective television means I should settle for a less than acceptable product? What's the logic behind this? That demand isn't going well, but at least I've managed to expose Sony and educate others before they waste their hard earned money.
post #11 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Why not get the refund and buy another HX929 if that is what you want? Your screen doesn't look right at all. What would cause the screen to be like that on these sets?

I've heard it has something to do with the adhesive procedure used to secure the Gorilla Glass to the LCD panel. I can't purchase a properly functioning HX929 for the price they sold this one to me. It still has a well over a year left on the manufacturer warranty, so why shouldn't they be required to repair and solve this atrocious problem?
post #12 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've heard it has something to do with the adhesive procedure used to secure the Gorilla Glass to the LCD panel. I can't purchase a properly functioning HX929 for the price they sold this one to me. It still has a well over a year left on the manufacturer warranty, so why shouldn't they be required to repair and solve this atrocious problem?

I totally agree with you. Sony needs to address this for you and if they really want to offer refund then they should for the price of the original defective sxrd and your price of this replacement TV. Good luck.
post #13 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I totally agree with you. Sony needs to address this for you and if they really want to offer refund then they should for the price of the original defective sxrd and your price of this replacement TV. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly! Their final offer was to refund the price I paid for the HX929 and repair the A3000 free of charge. Problem being, I don't even have that television anymore and what would be the point of repairing something that is guaranteed to prematurely fail again?

I vow to never purchase one of Sony's products again if they don't make right with this. Not to mention, I'm the go-to person for pretty much everyone I know when it comes to tech purchases; so in other words, they'll be losing A LOT of business.
post #14 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM

I know of many people who got the 55HX929 & 65hx929 and not a one other than Steve has complained of this problem with the HX929....and I know of hundreds of people who got them thru the exchange program thru Sonylistens.....If this is such a HUGE problem, why isn't it all over this Owners thread other than Steve's complaints?
post #15 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller77 View Post

I know of many people who got the 55HX929 & 65hx929 and not a one other than Steve has complained of this problem with the HX929....and I know of hundreds of people who got them thru the exchange program thru Sonylistens.....If this is such a HUGE problem, why isn't it all over this Owners thread other than Steve's complaints?

Not sure what your point is. He got a defective unit and others didn't. That doesn't mean Sony shouldn't fix this one under warranty.
post #16 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Not sure what your point is. He got a defective unit and others didn't. That doesn't mean Sony shouldn't fix this one under warranty.

Saw this on a FB page....from Steve D.....the way he made it sound was that it was a HUGE problem with the HX929's for Sony and would impact them some how....I just looked thru many pages on the owners thread for HX929's and I didn't see anyone posting any similar problems....that was the point of my post.....

I just got my 65HX929, so I'd check it out if there was a major issue....haven't taken mine out of the box yet as we are doing renovations here in the room it's going into.....wanted to make sure it wasn't a big problem which it doesn't seem to be a HUGE problem.....

Stephen Densmore

The word's out, I wonder how this will effect the sale of Sony's faulty flagship televisions...

link to this thread was included.....
post #17 of 51 Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Saw this on a FB page....from Steve D.....the way he made it sound was that it was a HUGE problem with the HX929's for Sony and would impact them some how....I just looked thru many pages on the owners thread for HX929's and I didn't see anyone posting any similar problems....that was the point of my post.....

I just got my 65HX929, so I'd check it out if there was a major issue....haven't taken mine out of the box yet as we are doing renovations here in the room it's going into.....wanted to make sure it wasn't a big problem which it doesn't seem to be a HUGE problem.....

Stephen Densmore

The word's out, I wonder how this will effect the sale of Sony's faulty flagship televisions...

link to this thread was included.....

I think you have one of the best TVs out there currently so I wouldn't worry. I would consider buying this if it were little bigger size, mainly to fill my cabinet I had built for 70" xbr2. I'm currently considering sharp 80" w/ 240hz panel they just announced at CES but need to see it at store first. I saw one of the larger screen sharp model at best buy and I wasn't impressed with the picture quality but if the dimensions are same as current 80" version than it should fit my cabinet perfectly.
post #18 of 51 Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

What you may not know it that he has had "several" replacement TVs for his faulty RPTV. None of them were up to "his" standards for one reason or another, so then when Sony sent him this last HX929 that truly did have a problem, Sony basically said, "We're done with you. We'll fix your RPTV and give you back the money you paid for the 929." Then the big OOPS came... He had already disposed of his RPTV and now has a TV with a big problem that Sony refuses to fix. It's kind of a case of crying "Wolf" too many times and when the Wolf finally arrived, it was too late. Now, Sony has made a final offer so rather than spend money to take them to court, he takes every opportunity to bash Sony.

I don't blame him for being upset, but Sony has bent over backwards to offer a solution. I also don't blame them for wanting to cut their losses as well. This is a classic case of an irresistable force against an immovable object.

At this point, my only further comment is "Yawn..."
post #19 of 51 Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

What you may not know it that he has had "several" replacement TVs for his faulty RPTV. None of them were up to "his" standards for one reason or another, so then when Sony sent him this last HX929 that truly did have a problem, Sony basically said, "We're done with you. We'll fix your RPTV and give you back the money you paid for the 929." Then the big OOPS came... He had already disposed of his RPTV and now has a TV with a big problem that Sony refuses to fix. It's kind of a case of crying "Wolf" too many times and when the Wolf finally arrived, it was too late. Now, Sony has made a final offer so rather than spend money to take them to court, he takes every opportunity to bash Sony.

I don't blame him for being upset, but Sony has bent over backwards to offer a solution. I also don't blame them for wanting to cut their losses as well. This is a classic case of an irresistable force against an immovable object.

Ahh thank you for this post!
post #20 of 51 Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It is a problem. I viewed two sets at different dealers and went through two myself. I even showed the salesman the screen uniformity problem and he was suprised as he'd never noticed it before on their floor model. But, it was after I turned the color down to zero as the uneven brightness really only becomes apparent with a B&W image. Your question about a Huge problem is answered by the fact that probably very few watch much in B&W and even then you have to go looking for it.

What was really odd was that their floor model 65" 929 was fine! It had a very uniform B&W image. But, every 55" set I've seen has this issue.
post #21 of 51 Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

It is a problem. I viewed two sets at different dealers and went through two myself. I even showed the salesman the screen uniformity problem and he was suprised as he'd never noticed it before on their floor model. But, it was after I turned the color down to zero as the uneven brightness really only becomes apparent with a B&W image. Your question about a Huge problem is answered by the fact that probably very few watch much in B&W and even then you have to go looking for it.

What was really odd was that their floor model 65" 929 was fine! It had a very uniform B&W image. But, every 55" set I've seen has this issue.

I wonder how many people's 55" models have this defect and don't even realize it. It's pretty pathetic for a $3,000 television to have an issue that doesn't exist on budget LCD sets. Even more sad is the fact Sony refuses to acknowledge it.
post #22 of 51 Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't speak for his other replacements but I would assume that if Sony agreed to replace these prior sets they must have acknowledged issues with them. This might speak more in terms of the quality of these sets or lack there of. Seeing as he is currently having legit issues with the set I will give him benefit of the doubt that he also had issues with his prior sets.
post #23 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

what i dont understand is how come sony just wont fix it......
post #24 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

what i dont understand is how come sony just wont fix it......

They're in denial that the defect exists. As if their poor quality control is my fault. Maybe they'll eventually smarten up and make things right, or something else will go bad on this TV; forcing them to repair it under warranty. Oh well, the least I can do now at this point is help educate others and hope for the best.
post #25 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They're in denial that the defect exists. As if their poor quality control is my fault. Maybe they'll eventually smarten up and make things right, or something else will go bad on this TV; forcing them to repair it under warranty. Oh well, the least I can do now at this point is help educate others and hope for the best.

Although I would agree that your set has an issue I would not say nor agree that all HX929 has same issue.
post #26 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

but it might come up in the other sets, we dont know.......
post #27 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:

"...The HX929 is one the highest rated LCD TV ever by CNET and ENGADGET so it is not like there is anything better we can offer.
- Tim"

Lol. As if Engadget's opinion holds any value regarding TVs.
post #28 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

ummm engadget doesnt even have a review of the tv.....what LOL, i see the Lg LW6500 on there, but no HX929....
post #29 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:

I 100% agree that this story has run its course, nothing new to read here.

There is a problem with his set but his poor attitude when dealing with Sony was the cause of the final outcome.

Now he is mad he cannot unload it to some poor unsuspecting buyer on Craigslist.

TWC (Southern Manhattan) | 4640HDC | ODN 7.2.0_11
post #30 of 51 Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I can't speak for his other replacements but I would assume that if Sony agreed to replace these prior sets they must have acknowledged issues with them. This might speak more in terms of the quality of these sets or lack there of. Seeing as he is currently having legit issues with the set I will give him benefit of the doubt that he also had issues with his prior sets.

Out of warranty TV fails, Sony is contacted and offers HX820 at reduced price. Story unfolds as follows:

Replacement Set #1
(Customer claims unit is defective)

Replacement Set #2 (Customer claims unit is damaged by carrier while unpacking)

Replacement Set #3
(Customer claims unit is damaged by carrier while unpacking)
Sony claims this unit was fine.

Replacement Set #4
FREE UPGRADE TO HX929, (Customer claims unit is defective)

As a last resort Sony offers to give FULL REFUND on replacement unit and still offers FREE REPAIR of original out of warranty defective unit.

Sony is rewarded by customer bad mouthing company on forums and Facebook.

Customer tries to erase all traces of his ridiculous rants in order to sell HX929 on Craigslist at a profit.

You make the call...

TWC (Southern Manhattan) | 4640HDC | ODN 7.2.0_11
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page