Are You Happy With Your 60 Hz HDTV? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I recall the earliest LCD's on notebooks. Move the cursor in any direction and you'd see 6 of them, all trailing each other like a flock of birds, lol. Things have improved a lot, but I guess the problem is inherent with LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

CRTs are better because they have much faster response time and the fact that the phosphors decay but the eye/brain persists the image. LCD uses sample and hold so there is no pixel decay.

As for you audio issue, run audio directly to receiver and video to TV. Even on TVs with audio out they will not pass 5.1, they will convert to 2.0 and send to receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Money_FL View Post

I am in the market for a new 55"-65" LED-LCD. But I am having a hard time finding anything better than my calibrated Samsung LNT-4665 for all-around viewing, at least at a reasonable price.

Sexier looking... very easy

Better performing... very hard
post #33 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

I'm wondering how to do this or if it's even possible with a signal from a tv antenna.

I'm looking at a photo of the back of a pioneer 1021. There is a coax in. If I hook up my tv antenna to this in, how does the video go out to the tv? Which input would I select for tv audio and video?

You can't. The coax in may be for a FM antenna or something but it does not have a TV tuner. What I was discussing was assuming you had a cable or satellite box with some sort of video output other than coax, such as composite, component or HDMI.
post #34 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

What sports programming suffers from image blur? I just don't notice it on my 60hz displays & I consider myself picky. Is it safe to say that many people confuse image blur with mosquito noise?

Yes And the inevitable MPEG2 compression artifacts (aka macroblocking.)

The only legitimate "LCD Blur" that, I've ever seen on my 60Hz (LG LK450) display was during a figure skating program where both the skaters and cameras were "whipping" around the rink at "high" speed. In this case, blurring was evident on the trailing edge of one of the skater's pant legs.

I'm not saying "it (LCD blur) doesn't exist," I'm just saying that a lot of folks seem to be confusing source problems with display problems.
post #35 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

You're right. I was confusing an analog coaxial connection with a digital coaxial connection.

I was reading that I may be able to connect the coaxial antenna cable to a vcr, route the coax out to the tv, and use rca out for sound. It doesn't seem like I'd get 5.1 sound that way. Plus, I don't want to buy a vcr, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

You can't. The coax in may be for a FM antenna or something but it does not have a TV tuner. What I was discussing was assuming you had a cable or satellite box with some sort of video output other than coax, such as composite, component or HDMI.

post #36 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I can't think of any reason to do anything remotely like what you're suggesting. Only some device with a tuner can pull digital audio from an ATSC or QAM feed.

From what you've posted so far, it sounds like you probably have a ground loop causing problems with your antenna amp, like walford said. Try moving the power supply for it to a different circuit than your other devices.

Two HDMI inputs is no problem either because you can get an automatic HDMI switch (or two) for about $5 per input. I have 6 HDMI devices on my 2 input TV thanks to 2 cheap 3x1 switches.

As for sound, unless you have a really basic amp, you should be able to connect optical or digital coax from each device (tv, disc player, etc.) for full DD5.1. My amp is about 20 years old and still going strong. I get surround sound from all my sources.

If managing all these inputs is too complex, a $15 universal remote like the RCA RCRP05B or a $40 harmony 600 can handle it all with simple macros. HDMI CEC also works well for managing inputs and controlling many of your devices with a single remote.
post #37 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to get over the air tv audio signals routed to a receiver. Either for 5.1 (don't even know if that's available with OTA signals) or stereo broadcasts. This is without audio out on my tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I can't think of any reason to do anything remotely like what you're suggesting. Only some device with a tuner can pull digital audio from an ATSC or QAM feed.

There are only two wall outlets with a total of four plugs in this room, but I'll try the other outlet.

From what you've posted so far, it sounds like you probably have a ground loop causing problems with your antenna amp, like walford said. Try moving the power supply for it to a different circuit than your other devices.

Two HDMI inputs is no problem either because you can get an automatic HDMI switch (or two) for about $5 per input. I have 6 HDMI devices on my 2 input TV thanks to 2 cheap 3x1 switches.

As for sound, unless you have a really basic amp, you should be able to connect optical or digital coax from each device (tv, disc player, etc.) for full DD5.1. My amp is about 20 years old and still going strong. I get surround sound from all my sources.

If managing all these inputs is too complex, a $15 universal remote like the RCA RCRP05B can handle it all with simple macros. HDMI CEC also works well for managing inputs and controlling many of your devices with a single remote.

post #38 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
No way do it it without a tuner. The cheapest option is to get a digital converter box and use the stereo outs. This will be a pain to use because you'll have spilt your antenna input and tune the box to the same channel as your tv every time you change channels. You could get creative and make channel up/down macros that change channels on both devices at the same time. Other solutions cost money, like an external HDTV tuner, a new TV, or cable or satellite service.
post #39 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I may have an opportunity to exchange this tv over the weekend.

If I do, it would be for the 40D630.
post #40 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To get digital audio from your OTA signal and your display doesn't have audio out you will need a stand alone ATSC tuner or ATSC pass thru with digital audio out either HDMI, digital coax, or optical. I haven't seen a decent one for less than 150.00. You're chasing your tail, return the display.
post #41 of 41 Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

OK. I'm actually a couple of days past the holiday return date (jan. 24) at best buy. The manager has seemingly reluctantly agreed to let me return it for an exchange.

I've read the entire Samsung 40D630 thread; and I'm not sure I should have: the lottery panel, audio sync, amp processing errors, among other issues are being discussed with great frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

To get digital audio from your OTA signal and your display doesn't have audio out you will need a stand alone ATSC tuner or ATSC pass thru with digital audio out either HDMI, digital coax, or optical. I haven't seen a decent one for less than 150.00. You're chasing your tail, return the display.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page