Recommendations for 22"-24" bedroom tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can anyone offer up some quick advice regarding a 22"-24" bedroom tv? I am willing to pay for good video quality and decent sound, however it will only be used occasionally, so doesn't have to cost a fortune. The only source will be D and OTA HD locals. It will be placed in an area that acceptable slight off-axis viewing is important. I have begun researching led edge lit lcds, and would just like some owners inputs. Thanks.
Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love to know as well. Having major problems with the color on the 22" samsung UN22D5003, i just got and am willing to return it if there's anything better.

The Toshiba 24's looked really nice in the store but sound on them, from what i understand, is horrible, otherwise i would definitely get one.

Any recs for a 22/24 other than the sammy UN22d5000/5003?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM

I have two Hannspree sets, a 25inch and a 28inch, and both have very nice pictures. I also have a Sharp 26inch which I really like. Excellent picture but off axis isn't really great. The off axis on the Hannsprees seem a little better. None of them have great sound though. Can't expect too much from the small speakers hidden inside the thin chassis. All three were relatively inexpensive.
I bought the Sharp an led set which works fine with sets this size. One nice feature of the Sharp (LC-26SV490U) is it has an ambient light detector which works nicely to change how bright the set is depending on the light in the room. All three are used as PC monitors along with watching TV, mainly when there are multiple college and pro football games going at the same time.

I have a retro room, old style electronics, etc. and the centerpiece is a large oak TV cabinet with a Panasonic 24in tube TV. I planned on putting in the Hannspree 25in in that cabinet but it just didn't look right so the Panasonic is back in and the Hannspree is looking for a place to be useful. Perhaps in the third bedroom which isn't wired for TV yet. Oh well, more fun.

Brian...reporting from the left coast...
post #4 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Samsung LN22D5000 is very nice for a small TV.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 PM

I have (2) of the UN22D5000s.

The first one I bought to use as a computer monitor because it has 1920x1080 native resolution. The PIP is great for catching up on sports and news while I'm working (can even read the small print on weather maps etc., in the 4"x2" window).

Liked the PQ so much, that I bought a second one to use as a bedroom TV. Comes with ample connectivity options and features (e.g. watch movies downloaded to a USB thumb drive).

It's also available in the 5003 version, which strips out connectivity and features to meet a lower price point.

Being a thin LED model the speakers are small, but there is an 5 band audio equalizer that makes them sound pretty darn good.

Didn't mention this model earlier because it has a TF panel, which makes the viewing angles somewhat narrow (OP said off axis viewing angle was important).
post #6 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have checked out the Samsung 22D5000 and was pretty impressed with it. Couldn't find the remote to hear what the speakers sounded like unfortunately. I am now trying to find out opinions on the LG 22" led panel. Any thoughts?
Bish
post #7 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM

If you can get your hands on the Samsung remote.......

Go to the menu's 'sound mode' area

Select 'standard'

Select 'sound effect'

Turn on 'SRR TruSurround HD'

Turn all 6 equalizer bands to maxinum +

Those small speakers will really sing.

The are more than 60 user reviews, for the UND5000, on both the BestBuy and Samsung sites.

Getting full 1080P, 1920x1080 native resolution, is rare in sub 32" sets. However, make sure the viewing angle meets your needs.

BTW, one feature I really like on the one I have in the bedroom, is that the remote has a 'sleep' button (don't have to mess around in the menu to get set the timer).
post #8 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you need acceptable sound avoid any LED. They all sound like transistor radios. Go with a CCFL lit LCD.

If you can go with a 32", Panasonic has the best off angle viewing of any LCD sets. Unfortunately, 32" is the smallest size.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

If you need acceptable sound avoid any LED. They all sound like transistor radios. Go with a CCFL lit LCD...

Or you can do what I did, and that is to buy an $80 computer stereo system to run off the earphone jack. Not theatre quality, but fine for casual viewing. Makes my bedside 22 inch Vizio quite decent.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

I have checked out the Samsung 22D5000 and was pretty impressed with it. Couldn't find the remote to hear what the speakers sounded like unfortunately. I am now trying to find out opinions on the LG 22" led panel. Any thoughts?
Bish

samsung all the way! however you won't go wrong with either,
http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2012/...un22d5000.html
post #11 of 12 Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Bish

I just ordered LG 22LV2500 (if that's the one you're referring to) online and will compare it side by side with the sammy 5003 since the color on my particular 5003 is making me stabby (could just be a bad set). However, i can tell you when i saw the LG in 2 different stores I loved the color but there was a lot of picture noise and the sammy seems to have none, and in a review i read re: the LG they also graded the HD Background picture noise as avg. - poor while they rating the sammy 5000/3 very good.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Bish

Okay, i have both right now and i can tell you, the sammy picture is crystal clear, amazing. But imo, the colors, seriously, suck (pardon my language). I know a lot of people are raving the tv, but the un22d5003's random interpretation of color is quite astonishing. Sometimes it's perfectly normal, and then in another scene skin or whatever could look absolutely horrible. I even bought the Disney Wow, made adjustments, but the color issue remained.

The LG picture has a lot of picture noise compared to the sammy, because it's a 1366 x 768 so it has to scale or something, but the color is much more reliable. To clarify when i say a lot of picture noise, i mean very clearly noticeable to anyone who would look at it if it's side by side to the samsung, but its dealable, doesn't make the picture poor in any way. If you go to any best buy and see them both together, you'll see it right away. Viewing angle is a little better on the LG.

When watching ABC's The Bachelor in HDTV, they have all these amazing nature scenes and to view them on the sammy is an utter delight because of the clarity. (but then enter the people and the dresses, oh man, crazy, yellow tinted people, peach, overly tan, ugh, on HGTV walls, just the silliest colors compared to the LG or Sammy 19a650. but maybe only to someone is fussy about color?

of course, jmo; everyone here seems to like the sammy. But funnily enough, i think it was television.info or whatever site that was, said the same thing about the color on the sammy and the picture noise on the LG, so i think i am not just going nuts.

the sound on the sammy is better. (well, better on the 5003, i can't speak for the sound on the 5000. the 5003 has 5w x 2 and the 5000 has 3w x 2)

update: okay, keeping the samsung, the picture noise on the LG was making even more irritated than the color issues on the sammy.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page