Are all Panasonic 32" 1080p LCD's disco'd? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjg1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I recently got the Panasonic TC-L32C3, which is a 720p LCD with IPS-Alpha panel. I really like the TV, but this weekend I suddenly was like "rahh I need the full 1080p" so I started calling all my local Best Buy's and Sears stores, and apparently none of them have *any* Panasonic 32" 1080p tv's, not the L32U3 which is the 1080p model of mine, nor the L32E3 which is the 1080p LED-LCD.

Does anyone know why Panasonic is discontinuing all their 32" 1080p's?

And of course, there is nothing else like it by any other brand. Only Panasonic have the IPS-alpha panel which provides a great response time for FPS games.

Should I be that miffed about having only 720p on my 32"? I really decided I wanted 1080 just to have the full 1:1 native HD pixel-perfect image but if I can't find them, I will have to settle with the 720p.

Wahh somebody make me feel batter
mjg1983 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1983 View Post

Hey guys, I recently got the Panasonic TC-L32C3, which is a 720p LCD with IPS-Alpha panel. I really like the TV, but this weekend I suddenly was like "rahh I need the full 1080p" so I started calling all my local Best Buy's and Sears stores, and apparently none of them have *any* Panasonic 32" 1080p tv's, not the L32U3 which is the 1080p model of mine, nor the L32E3 which is the 1080p LED-LCD.

Does anyone know why Panasonic is discontinuing all their 32" 1080p's?

And of course, there is nothing else like it by any other brand. Only Panasonic have the IPS-alpha panel which provides a great response time for FPS games.

Should I be that miffed about having only 720p on my 32"? I really decided I wanted 1080 just to have the full 1:1 native HD pixel-perfect image but if I can't find them, I will have to settle with the 720p.

Wahh somebody make me feel batter

try a 37", it should be 1080p

32" 1080p sets are still relatively uncommon and the models that do exist are sometimes not sold in many b&m stores.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjg1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 32" is all that fits in the armoire.

It sucks that Panasonic discontinued this range of tv's so quickly... they were only on the US market for less than a year it seems like. Would have liked to get the 1080p model but the 720p is just going to have to do.

Another question I have... this particular model will accept 1080p signal, do you think it would be better to send it 1080p or 720p considering it's a 768p native set? Does it matter if the image is upscaled or downscaled? I assume the tv is designed to take a 720p signal and "make it look great" so it probably doesn't matter if I send it 720p or 1080p?
mjg1983 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1983 View Post

The 32" is all that fits in the armoire.

It sucks that Panasonic discontinued this range of tv's so quickly... they were only on the US market for less than a year it seems like. Would have liked to get the 1080p model but the 720p is just going to have to do.

Another question I have... this particular model will accept 1080p signal, do you think it would be better to send it 1080p or 720p considering it's a 768p native set? Does it matter if the image is upscaled or downscaled? I assume the tv is designed to take a 720p signal and "make it look great" so it probably doesn't matter if I send it 720p or 1080p?

You can try both 1080i/p and 720p, but 720p might be optimal for your set.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since the native resolution is probably 1366x768, its better to send it a higher resolution and scale it down, rather than a lower resolution (720p=1280x720) and scale up.
Joxer is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Since the native resolution is probably 1366x768, its better to send it a higher resolution and scale it down, rather than a lower resolution (720p=1280x720) and scale up.

in theory, yes

but it would be a better idea to check which looks better overall since the TV may not scale down a 1080i/p signal properly
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjg1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already tried and literally couldn't tell a difference. And I was pixel peeping. But laws of physics tell me if the xbox is sending it a 1080p, and the TV clearly recognizes and accepts 1080p, then it must be built to downscale 1080p as well as upscale 720p, right?

And with these 768p LCD's, 100% of your images are going to be scaled anyways so downscaling should lead to a technically cleaner image because nothing is being "Blown up", right?
mjg1983 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Emerick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At 32" you really won't be able to tell the difference between the two resolutions, so I wouldn't worry a bit. Enjoy your nice TV.
Emerick99 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
 
audio/videoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung makes 32" 1080p TV's and picture quality is outstanding.
audio/videoman is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Newbie
 
runningfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy currently has a l32U3 for sale found here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...32u3&cp=1&lp=1

Agree Panasonics are so much better for picture/gaming.
runningfire is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
If your current 720p Panny can pixel map 1:1 then your best possible Xbox 360 image will probably be via VGA and setting to 1360x768 (you'll lose a few pixel rows but the image should look sharper with minimal lag).

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
sjetski71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N. NJ
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1983 View Post

Does anyone know why Panasonic is discontinuing all their 32" 1080p's?

Discontinuing or at the beginning stage of clearance/model refresh? Only time will tell, or maybe a press announcement.

LG currently has 32" 1080P IPS on store shelves, and most other brands have 32" VA 1080P as mentioned prior.
sjetski71 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjg1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfire View Post

Best Buy currently has a l32U3 for sale found here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...32u3&cp=1&lp=1

Agree Panasonics are so much better for picture/gaming.

If you look it says "Not Available for Shipping" and you have to check store availability. None of the stores in the Seattle area carry them, nor do the Sears stores, and Amazon has it listed as a discontinued model as I believe Newegg does as well. And at the Panasonic site only the 720p model has links available for sell.

Not a big deal, I'm just going to stick with the 720p model. I really like the design of the Panasonic and don't like the design of the competing LG and Samsung models as much.
mjg1983 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjg1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

If your current 720p Panny can pixel map 1:1 then your best possible Xbox 360 image will probably be via VGA and setting to 1360x768 (you'll lose a few pixel rows but the image should look sharper with minimal lag).

Jason

I'm pretty satisfied with the image @ 720p through HDMI. I've decided it's really the Xbox 360 hardware that is the limiting factor as far as the image quality goes. It's 2005-era hardware trying to do HD games and as a result all the textures are low resolution and there is virtually zero anti-aliasing, so the games are kind of a mess. (Call of Duty, for example is rendered at 600p bleh) I'm really looking forward to the next-gen of consoles (Xbox 720/PS4) as I believe they will provide a much better HD gaming experience.
mjg1983 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off