TVs with 5.1 Passthrough from HDMI to SPDIF - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 198 Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Haha, yeah, sorry for getting so worked up! You did try to insult my intelligence on the matter, though. And I really hate to be called wrong when I know so strongly that I'm right... especially talking about an experience I had first-hand. ;-)

Since you're making a suggestion to me about not getting upset or harsh in "friendly debates", then I can make one to you...

Quote:

I hope "sodaboy" does not see your post,,, he seems to think all TV's can pass 5.1 out of the optical via an HDMI hook-up.

This was the post of yours that got me worked up. It seemed like a personal insult with the quotation of the name as well as misrepresenting what I said.

Like I said in my post following that, I never said "all TVs". And there was no reason to quote my name... Not sure what you were doing with that quote, but I guessed you were pointing out the "boy" part of my name mostly and equating it with a lack of experience or intelligence. You still did it in the post you just made as well. I really don't see the point. You can say my name without quoting it. Just seems very rude to do so.

I mean, if I type something like... Oh and "davyo" over there is saying this and that... I don't know... It just comes off as me being a bit of an ass.

I'm actually 30 years old, though to a number of people that's probably still a "boy", and I'm pretty passionate about technology, including audio and video. Though I may not have all the best equipment, I do know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 198 Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Haha, yeah, sorry for getting so worked up! You did try to insult my intelligence on the matter, though. And I really hate to be called wrong when I know so strongly that I'm right... especially talking about an experience I had first-hand. ;-)

Since you're making a suggestion to me about not getting upset or harsh in "friendly debates", then I can make one to you...

This was the post of yours that got me worked up. It seemed like a personal insult with the quotation of the name as well as misrepresenting what I said.

Like I said in my post following that, I never said "all TVs". And there was no reason to quote my name... Not sure what you were doing with that quote, but I guessed you were pointing out the "boy" part of my name mostly and equating it with a lack of experience or intelligence. You still did it in the post you just made as well. I really don't see the point. You can say my name without quoting it. Just seems very rude to do so.

I mean, if I type something like... Oh and "davyo" over there is saying this and that... I don't know... It just comes off as me being a bit of an ass.

I'm actually 30 years old, though to a number of people that's probably still a "boy", and I'm pretty passionate about technology, including audio and video. Though I may not have all the best equipment, I do know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Its all good my friend,,,,, and I meant nothing by using your name other than just quoting you,,,, if you look at my past postings all over this forum you will see I regularly use people's name's in my debate's either in full or shortened.

What I take away from our debate is being pissed off at Sharp that my new 70 incher and new 80 incher ONLY pass 2.1 when clearly other panels are passing 5.1,,,, I intend on calling Sharp CS and asking them WTF,,,,, I wonder if a software up-grade can be done or perhaps even a simple hack.

Cheers
Davyo
post #63 of 198 Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I would also ask them why 4:4:4 chroma isn't supported over HDMI on any of the new Sharps (I'm assuming it's not, I know for sure it's not supported on the 632 and 6300..)

It makes the TV kind of crappy for HTPC use. You can, of course, use VGA instead of HDMI... but the picture over VGA on the Sharps isn't that great. It's functional, but not very "sharp".

I think not passing 5.1 and lack of 4:4:4 chroma really puts their TV in the past.

4:4:4 chroma is also great for console games too.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #64 of 198 Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Any recent Sony will do it.

My 46EX400 in my bedroom passes DD 5.1 from any HDMI device over SPDIF. Used to use the TV with my Logitech Z-5500.

55EX720 does as well.

My 2 year old XBR9 does it as well.
post #65 of 198 Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 AM

I own both an LG 47LW5600 3D LED and an LG 60PV450 Plasma. OOTB, neither provides 5.1 Passthrough via Optical out from HDMI sources.

However, the 3D LED does provide for HDMI external devices to pass through DD5.1 if enabled via the service menu.

The LG Plasma provides no such option via the service menu, so it definitely depends on what LG TV you have whether it's possible....No consistency with LG.

Don't make excuses...make time!
post #66 of 198 Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM

My new Sony will pass DD 5.1 as indicated when I press display on the receiver.
If I set the output on the cable box to pass through, the receiver display indicates DD and 3/2.1 - which means DD 5.1 (3 front, 2 back and a sub per Onkyo). When sending pass through I am unable to apply DD Pro LogicII or NEO 6 or any of the 2 channel matrix mixing modes available in the receiver and this is because the receiver is receiving 5 discrete channels already. If I set the cable box to pass L-PCM over hdmi - My receiver indicates it is receiving 48kz pcm and can apply matrix processing to get DD Pro LogicII etc -
That's proof it will pass DD 5.1 over optical via hdmi-
To be honest - I can't tell the difference between true 5.1 and Pro Logic II - I bet most people can't. - I wouldn't make a TV purchasing decision based on passing DD via optical.
JJK
post #67 of 198 Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM

hey, just registered to weigh in here.

I have the same issue: tv - LG 42ld450 receiver - Sony dts/dolby 5.1surround
(For the most part) Dolby/DTS audio from hdmi is not passed through the tv to the receiver via toslink. My edid says it only supports ... pcm.

Nothing new there, but what I came to say is that --- My PS3 will passthru 5.1 dolby just fine (the only reason i had expected the pc setup to work in the first place). I have not tried dts, but dolby is possible.
The only thing I can say about this is the ps3 does not look at the edid, the audio output settings are manual.

Anyway if any people have a good workaround could you point me in the right direction. right now i'm looking at a $20 usb soundcard w/ optical out (didn't see any low profile pci cheap soundcards w/ optical). Wish my video card had a spdif pinout
post #68 of 198 Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1 View Post

To be honest - I can't tell the difference between true 5.1 and Pro Logic II - I bet most people can't. - I wouldn't make a TV purchasing decision based on passing DD via optical.
JJK

Well I can definitely tell the difference between PLII and DD5.1. However, it all depends on what your setup is. I don't have cable or SAT (can't justify the runaway costs for pay tv) but discrete DD5.1 via optical is not a problem for us because tv is OTA only, and the ATSC tuner passes (as it should) the 5.1 audio just fine. All other audio sources are handled by the AVR. A simple setup for sure. I think a lot of problems nowadays are using "older" (a relative term) components/pc's with newer tv's and they just don't always play nice because of a lack of uniformity/standards which sucks. That and I think some want their tv to do more than what it was designed for at the particular price point, hence messing with the SM, etc. to activate "hidden features".
post #69 of 198 Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 AM

I have a Samsung UN55C6500VF from 2010. I have a DirecTV HD DVR, older Playstation 3, and a 2nd gen Apple TV all connected via HDMI to the Samsung tv. I have the TV connected to an old Onkyo HT-R500 using the optical cable from the tv.

I did get the playstion 3 and the apple TV to pass Dolby Digital over the HDMI, through the TV, and to the Onkyo reciever using the optical cable. The menu for dolby digital on the Samsung TV is selectable (it's usually grayed out). I set the PS3 to output Dolby Digital and Bitstream, and for the Apple TV I just turned Dolby Digital on.

It works!

However, I can't get it to work with the DirecTV box though.

Anyway, my old receiver has found new life since I could never get over the lipsync issue with those devices audio signals connected directly to the Onkyo receiver.
post #70 of 198 Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 20
I have the LG lm8600. It does not passthrough 5.1. This is an issue for me. I HATE it. I would much rather run SPDIF from my TV to my receiver. GEEZ this pisses me off.
post #71 of 198 Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Box, I'll bet it will if you can figure out how to access the service menu. Not sure that anybody's cracked that code yet on the LM8600....
post #72 of 198 Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked: 12
I have a Vizio xvt3d554sv and it passes DD 5.1 from HDMI In port to the Optical Out port.
post #73 of 198 Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox87 View Post

I have the LG lm8600. It does not passthrough 5.1. This is an issue for me. I HATE it. I would much rather run SPDIF from my TV to my receiver. GEEZ this pisses me off.

from my understanding, the latest firmware update should give you service menu access to change setting to allow AC-3 hdmi passthrough. I haven't tried it yet, though, so I cant confirm. My old vizio 55" did pass through 5.1 out of the box without any service menu changes needed, but my new LG will not.
post #74 of 198 Old 08-24-2012, 05:04 AM

Liked: 20
Confirmed Samsung 55ES7100 will NOT pass 5.1 from HDMI to SPDIF. The TV will output 5.1 if the source is internal (Netflix, OTA...etc).

If there is a way to change this via service menu, I'd be interested to know how...
post #75 of 198 Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Any recent Sony will do it.

My 46EX400 in my bedroom passes DD 5.1 from any HDMI device over SPDIF. Used to use the TV with my Logitech Z-5500.

55EX720 does as well.

I cannoy get my 55ex720 to pass DD5.1 from the SPDIF. What settings do you use? I have a HDMI cable from my Motorola DCX 3501 DVR to the TV and a SPDIF from the TV to my Yamaha receiver.
post #76 of 198 Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb11 View Post

I cannoy get my 55ex720 to pass DD5.1 from the SPDIF. What settings do you use? I have a HDMI cable from my Motorola DCX 3501 DVR to the TV and a SPDIF from the TV to my Yamaha receiver.

I found it. Under the speaker option you must use audio system not tv speakers.
post #77 of 198 Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

I know this is an older thread, but I find it interesting that so many "experts" have decided that this is an all or none issue.

I have a Mits DLP WD65732. It WILL pass DD 5.1 from my Comcast/Motorola DVR to my AV receiver using the coaxial output. It will NOT pass 5.1 from my Sharp Blu-ray player that is connected to the same TV. This is regardless of any and all menu settings.

I also have a JVC LT46FN97. That set will NOT pass 5.1 via HDMI from any device that I have connected.

It seem that the ability to pass 5.1 is dependent on both the TV, and the input device.
post #78 of 198 Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Wow, this forum, this particular thread is godsent - thank you so much for the fruitful and colorful discussions from sodaboy, davyo, videoguy, and all participants here - this is exactly what I've been searching for. Now I'm more comfortable to buy a Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar and experiment with my SONY tv (a 4-yr old KDL 52", need to check the exact model no.) , Comcast DVR, and Panasonic Blu-ray player, if both my TV and input devices can pass 5.1 via HDMI (to HTCT260's optical input), it would greatly simplify my whole setup.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #79 of 198 Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jieyin View Post

Wow, this forum, this particular thread is godsent - thank you so much for the fruitful and colorful discussions from sodaboy, davyo, videoguy, and all participants here - this is exactly what I've been searching for. Now I'm more comfortable to buy a Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar and experiment with my SONY tv (a 4-yr old KDL 52", need to check the exact model no.) , Comcast DVR, and Panasonic Blu-ray player, if both my TV and input devices can pass 5.1 via HDMI (to HTCT260's optical input), it would greatly simplify my whole setup.

Keep your receipt. As you've no doubt gleaned from this thread that there is no guarantee that all tv's will pass true 5.1 from an external HDMI input thru an optical out on the tv to the soundbar/avr, what ever. A lot of tv's, mine included, will only pass true 5.1 from the internal ATSC tuner via optical out to the receiver. All other connected devices go thru the receiver first (for audio) and then pass the video onto the tv (with of course the tv speakers turned off).
post #80 of 198 Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi, does anyone know if Panasonic TC-L42ET5 will do 5.1 pass through over optical?
post #81 of 198 Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

Hi, does anyone know if Panasonic TC-L42ET5 will do 5.1 pass through over optical?

What does Panasonic say?
post #82 of 198 Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

What does Panasonic say?

On the manual, it says "Digital Audio Out: PCM, Dolby Digital, Fiber Optic".

It doesn't say whether externally connected HDMI device can pass 5.1 through digital audio out. My understanding so far is that only ATSC can pass 5.1 through digital audio out.

Am I correct to assume the same holds true for ARC?
post #83 of 198 Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

On the manual, it says "Digital Audio Out: PCM, Dolby Digital, Fiber Optic".
It doesn't say whether externally connected HDMI device can pass 5.1 through digital audio out. My understanding so far is that only ATSC can pass 5.1 through digital audio out.
Am I correct to assume the same holds true for ARC?

ARC only works if both your tv and the receiver are ARC capable. As far as passing 5.1 via ARC capable devices, I don't know. It may be tv dependent. Yes, the internal ATSC tuner will pass 5.1 thru optical because that is how I get mine (OTA). As far as passing 5.1 from an external HDMI source, my guess is probably not. Most tv's don't have the capability of decoding PCM to 5.1.
post #84 of 198 Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Well I also bought SC-BTT190, which is ARC compatible. I didn't go for BTT490 because it is out of my budget, although I understand its HDMI passthrough does not touch the audio? Does ARC or TOSLINK pass audio from component video?

I do plan to hook Wii, PS2, and PS3 all together. I'm hoping either ARC or TOSLINK can do 5.1 passthrough for my PS3. Or do I have to buy a TOSLINK switch and feed it to BTT190?
post #85 of 198 Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM

I have a Sharp Aquos 60 inch LE640u smart Tv + a Sharp Soundbar HT-SB60.

the user manual states that I should connect my cable box and ps3 to the soundbar via hdmi and connect the soundbar to the tv via hdmi (Tv arc capable). Strange thing is, i tried playing a bluray this way, and only audio came out from the soundbar, but no picture was displayed on the tv.

What am I doing wrong.

Ps. I have plugged everything to the tv and then connected the tv to the soundbar, and although this works, it does not necessarily ensure that I get dolby/dts surround audio coming out of my speakers.
post #86 of 198 Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The tv is ARC compatible but is the soundbar? If you get audio from the soundbar and no picture on the tv have you selected the correct input for the tv so it knows where the video signal is coming from? Soundbars are strange animals. Have you contacted support? Maybe it's just a setting somewhere that you've missed. ARC can be a real pain. I'd connect everything the way the manual says but disable ARC on both devices (tv and soundbar), turn off the speakers on the tv, and make sure that the correct input is selected on the tv. Because all of your devices are connected to the soundbar first, you should always get audio and its just a matter of directing your video signal to the tv from whatever source it is coming from (blu-ray player, cable, etc). The tv probably can't pass 5.1 to the soundbar when it, the tv, is the source. ARC is one direction only which is from the a/v source to the video display. You can get discrete 5.1 audio from the tv if you use the tv's internal ATSC tuner and pass the audio via optical cable to the soundbar/avr.
post #87 of 198 Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM

Okay, here is my experience with Panasonic TC-L42ET5.

ARC works with 5.1 surround sound from ATSC turner. ARC can also pass stereo audio from component (analog) to receiver. It doesn't look like ARC permits Pro Logic II (was it because analog to digital)?

However the TV itself cannot pass 5.1 from external HDMI device (like PS3) using ARC. This is after I forced PS3 to do DD and DTS. So for my PS3 I have to use TOSLINK to do 5.1.
post #88 of 198 Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 PM

I just bought a Panasonic TC-L42E5 and it does not pass 5.1 audio from external HDMI sources. This is an incredible waste, given that it has 4 HDMI inputs. Guess I'll have to buy a new receiver ...
post #89 of 198 Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I've been able to gather from other sources, very few tv's will pass full, discrete 5.1 from an external source via HDMI. ARC is limited to 5.1 (that's sort of the reason for ARC) so if both of your devices are ARC capable, you can pass 5.1. But ARC can not pass lossless audio (Dolby-TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) so you pick your poison. For most tv's, 5.1 can only pass from the internal ATSC tuner via optical to your receiver.
post #90 of 198 Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

From what I've been able to gather from other sources, very few tv's will pass full, discrete 5.1 from an external source via HDMI. ARC is limited to 5.1 (that's sort of the reason for ARC) so if both of your devices are ARC capable, you can pass 5.1. But ARC can not pass lossless audio (Dolby-TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) so you pick your poison. For most tv's, 5.1 can only pass from the internal ATSC tuner via optical to your receiver.

So should we blame it on HDMI handshake or TV maker? I guess I should blame it on Panasonic because when I forced PS3 to bitstream there was no sound.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page