TVs with 5.1 Passthrough from HDMI to SPDIF - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 206 Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 272
To clarify my OTA statement, we receive our tv audio and video OTA (Over the Air, antenna) using the internal ATSC tuner. The tv speakers are off so the video is displayed on the tv and the audio is sent to the receiver via the optical cable. If you use your internal ATSC tuner, or if you tv has SmartApps, this is the way to do it. Everything else, in our case, is connected to the receiver via HDMI so only video is sent to the tv and all audio is played thru the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 206 Old 05-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

OK thanks! If I stream netflix with my Blu-Ray player would it audio/video work via HDMI?

post #183 of 206 Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It should. The audio would go to the soundbar and the video will go thru the soundbar and out to the tv via the HDMI out. The soundbar acts like a standalone receiver in that respect.
post #184 of 206 Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginnin View Post

OK thanks! If I stream netflix with my Blu-Ray player would it audio/video work via HDMI?
Yes. It would work just like playing a Blu-ray Disc. HDMI to the soundbar. The bar processes the audio and feeds video to the TV. If you don't have SmartTV apps or use an off air antenna and are feeding all sources through the soundbar, there's no use for the optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.
post #185 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 AM

You guys rock! Streaming netflix via my Blu-Ray works perfect. Now I m just ready to get my system beefed up abit more but with a baby on the way in about 20 days my wife says Home theater is on the back burner hahah. I have other questions regarding Blu-Ray is it ok to just ask on this post? While I have your attention?

BLU-RAY settings.

24p was selected as off. Should this be on?

Should I adjust any down mixing settings?

Same with DTS NEO6

And should I select PCM

I have them all at factory settings now.

post #186 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginnin View Post

You guys rock! Streaming netflix via my Blu-Ray works perfect. Now I m just ready to get my system beefed up abit more but with a baby on the way in about 20 days my wife says Home theater is on the back burner hahah. I have other questions regarding Blu-Ray is it ok to just ask on this post? While I have your attention?

BLU-RAY settings.

24p was selected as off. Should this be on?

Should I adjust any down mixing settings?

Same with DTS NEO6

And should I select PCM

I have them all at factory settings now.

I have that soundbar, so I can answer your questions:

1. Set 24p to "ON".
2. No need to adjust downmix...the soundbar handles bitstreamed multi-channel audio just fine.
3. DTS Neo6 sounds better, IMHO, with large speakers so leave that off.
4. See item 2 above. No need to use PCM.
post #187 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

What player do you have?
Downmix handles the reduction of multichannel content to stereo by the player, so it doesn't matter in your setup.
DTS Neo:6 handles expansion of stereo content to multichannel, which also doesn't apply in your case.
I would not use PCM with your sound bar. But the correct setting there depends on the particular player you have.
24p depends on your TV.
post #188 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Set up is as follows

Blu-Ray is Panasonic DMP-BD89

Sound bar is Sony HT-CT370

Tv Panasonic TC-P60ST60

post #189 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Set the Dolby and DTS outputs to Dolby and DTS, which may be called bitstream. Set secondary audio to off.
post #190 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 PM

You guys are killing it!

My audio for Blu-Ray are like this now

dialog enhancer - off

dynamic range compression - off 

downmix - stereo 

dts neo6 - off

dolby d/dolby d +/dolby true hd - bitstream

dts/dts-hd - bitstream

bd video secondary audio - off

Also fooling with my sound bar 

I selected AAV on and the sound improves ten-fold! I assume I should leave this on? 

I feel like I should be paying you.

post #191 of 206 Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

When you set the output to bitstream, none of the other settings matter. The only exception is secondary audio, which needs to be off so that the player sends the lossless TrueHD and DTS Master Audio versions of the soundtracks instead of the lower resolution lossy versions.

All of those other settings operate on PCM. But, when set to bitstream, the player simply sends the encoded track to the soundbar, which does the decoding to produce PCM and any subsequent processing such downmixing and dialog enhancements.
post #192 of 206 Old 05-10-2014, 03:23 PM

What is the AAV setting that I turned on? Is this just a way to get a sound boost?

post #193 of 206 Old 05-10-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Advanced Auto Volume. The manual describes it as a way to reduce the volume differences when switching between sources. Can't imagine why it would improve the sound ten fold. But, if it sounds better to you, then, yes leave it on.
post #194 of 206 Old 05-28-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

To my knowlege there are no brands of panels that will pass 5.1 thru the optical output on the panel with a device hooked to the panel via HDMI and that goes for all TV's, even the ones made in the last 2 years.

My new 70" and 80" Sharps wouldnt pass 5.1

May I ask how you "confirmed" that the brands you mentioned will pass 5.1 thru the optical ?

Cheers
Davyo

My Sharp lc70le757u will pass DD 5.1. I confirmed this through my new sonos system. On the controller you can see what signal the Playbar is receiving. That being said, It will pass DD 5.1 as long as the original device signal is DD 5.1.

post #195 of 206 Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabbq View Post

My Sharp lc70le757u will pass DD 5.1. I confirmed this through my new sonos system. On the controller you can see what signal the Playbar is receiving. That being said, It will pass DD 5.1 as long as the original device signal is DD 5.1.

Do you actually hear discrete 5.1 thru all of the speakers?
post #196 of 206 Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Do you actually hear discrete 5.1 thru all of the speakers?

Otto,

I do not currently have the surrounds up and running ( or own them yet) as I just bought my Playbar and sub this past Sunday. I too had concerns about the TV passing the signal down to the Playbar so I didn't want to invest in them if there was only going to be a mediocre gain without DD 5.1.

I can sincerely state that there is a noticeable difference in the DD5.1 over the Stereo/pcm sound coming from the soundbar. It does have a distinguished sound field and replicates the sound quite well. This will only be enhanced by the addition of the surrounds.

I don't understand how anyone can not hear a discernible difference.

post #197 of 206 Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Some tv's do in fact pass discrete 5.1 from either the internal ATSC tuner ( my tv does as an example for OTA) and some SmartApps via optical cable. If you use an external source that is not always the case. I don't know what your sources are. Pseudo-surround sound can sound very nice on higher end soundbars, which the Sonos is. All I'm suggesting is that even tho the display indicates that it's receiving a discrete 5.1 stream it may not be able to separate those tracks and push them to their respective speakers. The Sonos should be able to do that because you can add more speakers but maybe another Sonos owner who's invested in the speakers can confirm that.
post #198 of 206 Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Does the new M602I-B3 have the 5.1 passthrough?

I own the Vizio M602i-B3.
post #199 of 206 Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi AVS,

New here and apologies for not going through the entire thread.
I just bought the LG 55LA7400 and needed to confirm:

1. HDMI ARC on this TV is Stereo pass through only ?
2. Optical out is DD 5.1 ? (but not DTS 5.1)

I need this info to weigh in my soundbar purchase.
Most likely looking at building a Core i3 HTPC capable of outputting DTS HD-MA/ Dolby TrueHD via HDMI. (or even using my Asus EPE 121 Table @ Core i5 427um)

What would be my connection options ? HTPC direct to soundbar and HDMI out to TV or HTPC to TV and out via ARC to Soundbar.

Would anything over a 2.1 soundbar be wasted ? Looking at the LG NB4540 (choices are limited here in SEA/Malaysia). The LG is approx USD400 here. Was looking at the Philips HTL 5120 previously but it's no longer selling. The more expensive HTL 9100 is though @ USD900 or so.
Would a more expensive Sony ST3 soundbar (which supports DTS MA and true HD) be overkill ? it is 4.1 anyway. The ST3 is approx USD600.

Not looking for a proper/full fledged 7.1 (or even 5.1) setup. I like the soundbar approach and can live with the cons.

Many thanks!
post #200 of 206 Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The best that ARC can do is discrete 5.1, just like optical. Neither one, ARC or optical, can send HD audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc). HD audio does maintain a 5.1 core so if you send the HD audio stream, you should still be able to get the 5.1 depending on the capabilities of the receiver. However, ARC is not without it's issues because of the relationship that it has with CEC.

I don't have any experience with soundbars but they are limited in what they can do in comparison to a standalone receiver, which would be your best choice. There are some high end soundbars (expensive) that are more capable but you'd probably have to check out the soundbar specific forums for what they can, and can not do.
post #201 of 206 Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TV's Tested that will do pass through

Came across this article on cnet. Answers a lot of questions here.

http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-test...o-a-sound-bar/

John
post #202 of 206 Old 10-12-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufters View Post

They should've done much more thorough testing. Over the last decade and a half, and using TVs from Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, and Mitsubishi, I have been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 via Toslink from a Comcast/Xfinity cable box connected to the display via HDMI. This includes models where the manufacturer stated in the manual that this was not possible. If you're using a Comcast/Xfinity cable box, first turn the unit off, then immediately press the MENU button on the STB remote. In the USER SETTINGS MENU, you go into ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS and set AUDIO OUTPUT to PASS THROUGH. Though this will not work with signals from a Blu-Ray player or other similar device connected via HDMI, Dolby Digital from the cablebox is passed by the TV through its optical output to the AVR. The Comcast cable boxes I've used were all either from Pace or from Motorola...it is my understanding that Time Warner boxes do not offer these options for HDMI audio.
post #203 of 206 Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
They should've done much more thorough testing. Over the last decade and a half, and using TVs from Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, and Mitsubishi, I have been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 via Toslink from a Comcast/Xfinity cable box connected to the display via HDMI. This includes models where the manufacturer stated in the manual that this was not possible. If you're using a Comcast/Xfinity cable box, first turn the unit off, then immediately press the MENU button on the STB remote. In the USER SETTINGS MENU, you go into ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS and set AUDIO OUTPUT to PASS THROUGH. Though this will not work with signals from a Blu-Ray player or other similar device connected via HDMI, Dolby Digital from the cablebox is passed by the TV through its optical output to the AVR. The Comcast cable boxes I've used were all either from Pace or from Motorola...it is my understanding that Time Warner boxes do not offer these options for HDMI audio.

On my TW 8300 I set it to HDMI audio and 5.1 pass-through went from my Vizio to my receiver with no issues.

John
post #204 of 206 Old 10-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the 2014 LGs ( LB6300 in particular) will send 5.1ch through optical from HDMI source, what about OTA or Netflix or other network source? It seems to be working but I want to confirm somehow.
My Onkyo receiver is showing a DD source light, but I have no idea if the channels are source or some sort of matrixed output.
post #205 of 206 Old 10-22-2014, 11:39 AM

Does the Sony KD-**X8505 TVs Pass through 5.1 from HDMI to SPDIF?
What current 4k TVs work?
post #206 of 206 Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufters View Post

That is useful. I will note that my Samsung TV in the menu area has the 5.1 option grayed out, so it's clearly not available.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread