My poor Samsung - RIP due to Capacitor issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My LN40a530 died a couple weeks ago due to bad capacitors. Caps on the power supply have blown, and while Samsung sent a tech out to repair it, repair was refused because it blew out the digital board too, and told me it would cost to much money, and that I'd be better off to find the digital board myself and replace it myself.

Thing is, all boards with the right part numbers for the Chi Mei panel, are OUT OF STOCK!

My part numbers are:
bn41-00975b
bn94-01868b
bn97-02033p
bn40-00125a

While I think it's nice that Samsung would replace the caps for free, I think it's terrible that they won't fix it because the caps destroyed other parts. The part on the digital board that's fried is the SDP72 chip, the one right next to the LCD connector.. It actually has a hole in it blown out.

This TV didn't even last me 4 years, and it's already dead.. Damnit Samsung! I have TV's predating COLOR and they still work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ordered a new board. Now I need to replace the capacitors on the PSU..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...owerboard2.jpg

This PSU is designed terribly to be honest. The other green cap to the left is burning the board. I'm going to likely replace that too, to prevent further damage.

This is the damage to the digital board though: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../blownchip.jpg

And because of that, Samsung denied free repair..
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If the main board burned out, there is good chance power supply is damaged besides capacitors, reason being whatever damaging voltage went to the main board, had to come out from the power supply, so you have very good reason to replace both. As a matter of fact there is always a chance something else could be damaged, besides those 2. Really a shame. If I was you I would keep all the receipts, things like that are prime example why class action suits were invented.
It's really hard to judge here, I'm sure Samsung wasn't aware of substandard capacitors at the time of assembly and no company can afford to support their products for free forever, on the other hand expensive TV should not fail after just 3-4 years, especially en mass, like it's case here. I just wish you good luck, hopefully all will work out well and this repair is not too expensive.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have the receipts, at all..

For right now, I'm going to Mouser to order caps, and going to replace all caps with Nichicon branded caps, not these no names I never heard of before. Not once in my house have I had a power surge either, and I do actually have equipment that monitors such a thing. One of the beauties of underground power..
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon View Post

I don't have the receipts, at all..

For right now, I'm going to Mouser to order caps, and going to replace all caps with Nichicon branded caps, not these no names I never heard of before. Not once in my house have I had a power surge either, and I do actually have equipment that monitors such a thing. One of the beauties of underground power..

hi ,i read on what happened to u this too happened to me but it did not blow out anything in my tv samsung fixed my problem and my tv was 5 years old ,i think the main reason why samsung did not want to fix the problme was that to them they feel that its not worth fixing and that with the money u were going to spend with them u can just buy a new tv ,me thinging if it was me i would look into buying a new LED tv from samsung or even getting a plasma tv from panasonic ,if samsung did not help u out then why stay with a company that say no to u ,if samsung did not fix my problem then i would of said the hell with samsung and i would of gotten a plasma tv .
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well to me it's not worth buying a new TV, especially if that when I'm done, total repair cost for me is $65.

I think Samsung went down in my A list.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

This PSU is designed terribly to be honest. The other green cap to the left is burning the board. I'm going to likely replace that too, to prevent further damage.

At least the designers knew that those green caps aren't caps at all. They are negative temperature coefficient resistors. They are usually there for anti-surge purposes or to compensate for temperature rises. I reckon the former case as they've got hot.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wont let this TV die. Couple cap replacements on the power supply and a new mainboard later: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...on/tvfixed.jpg
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I wont let this TV die. Couple cap replacements on the power supply and a new mainboard later: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...on/tvfixed.jpg

dude i got the same tv as u bro the same thing happened to me i told u this ,samsung told me they would fix it and they did for FREE i dont see why samsung did not help u in fixing the same thing i had with the same tv .u should call samsung up and tell them whats up
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Try to read the first post again, the answers are all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post

dude i got the same tv as u bro the same thing happened to me i told u this ,samsung told me they would fix it and they did for FREE i dont see why samsung did not help u in fixing the same thing i had with the same tv .u should call samsung up and tell them whats up