Samsung ES8000 PQ Improvement Over D8000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone at CES come away with any opinions if the new ES8000 offered an improvement in PQ over the outgoing D8000 LEDs? With Sony not announcing a replacement for the HX929 I was wondering if Samsung's new flagship model made up any ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodL View Post

Did anyone at CES come away with any opinions if the new ES8000 offered an improvement in PQ over the outgoing D8000 LEDs? With Sony not announcing a replacement for the HX929 I was wondering if Samsung's new flagship model made up any ground.

hello ,first i have to say this i did not go to CES 2012 but i read alot on samsung new LED lineup andi can say this that samsung did fix the backlighting problems with the new set of LED tv that goes for the ES7000 ,ES7500,ES8000 and also there low end tvs too ,also as for warrenty from what i still think is u get 1 year is part and labor .As for what sony is doing with there tvs i am not so sure did not really look into them really ,all i seen was there new 3D active shutter glasses and that rally all.i say if u wait a couple moer months like around the end of feb to march and and april that is when u will see all the new samsung LED TV'S good luck and happy shoping.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Until production TVs are available, I don't think we will get a definitive answer to this question. Based on all of the info that was released at CES, I did not see any claims for improved PQ. Samsung did state that they changed the edge micro dimming to a new edge system that they are calling 'ultimate'. The 2012 changes to micro dimming seemed to be the addition of more more edge LED's to give the TV finer control over smaller micro dimming areas. This sounds to me like it would be a step forward.

I own both 60" and 55" Samsung UNxxD8000 TVs. I have spent a lot of time calibrating both sets with my Calman V4 software and Eye-One sensor. Both TVs have excellent ability to be calibrated very precisely. I would not expect any improvements in terms of color, grey scale tracking or any of the typical calibration PQ elements ... with one exception. The one weak area on the 2011 sets was screen uniformity, typically with dimmer material. That will be the area that I look at first to evaluate any PQ improvements on the 2012's over the 2011's. It is possible (likely) that the micro dimming changes in 2012 could make improvements in the screen uniformity area. I would doubt that you will see much of a difference with most material because the screen uniformity differences are not visible in typical material.

I purchased my 60" in Sept. But, picked up my 55" just after Christmas on a great sale. I didn't want to pay more for the TV or wait well into 2012 for the prices to drift down on the new models.

> Bill
post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM

It's now April... anyone can provide some comments on the PQ improvement?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM

I had one from Samsung for a week or so. PQ is SLIGHTLY better than the D-series but my loaner set had major clouding which was noticeable in dark scenes and had a slight bit of backlight bleed in the upper left hand corner.

Also, for whatever reason, they have eliminated the handy Cinema Black option which I loved on the last D8000 I had.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 AM

I think clouding and backlight bleed is inevitable in LED TVs...

How about the uniformity? D8000 had some serious uniformity issue.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Uniformity was good on the set I received without the ridiculous black band from the previous D8000 / D7000s. However, mine was an engineering sample with an early panel revision (production date: January 2012).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page