At a crossroads - dump Samsung for Sony HX929 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, I'm on my 3rd Samsung LDC panel - D6420. The first one had horrible vertical banding, the 2nd one had a decent picture but had a melt-down. Now, the 3rd one has horrible horizontal banding. This is a PITA

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out more $$$ to step up to the Sony HX929 models. Very pricey, but has stellar reviews due to local dimming configuration. Seems that the quality control for all edge-lit LCD panels is terrible. I've read that for the most part the QC on the Sonys is very good.

Advice?

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-28-2012, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

So, I'm on my 3rd Samsung LDC panel - D6420. The first one had horrible vertical banding, the 2nd one had a decent picture but had a melt-down. Now, the 3rd one has horrible horizontal banding. This is a PITA

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out more $$$ to step up to the Sony HX929 models. Very pricey, but has stellar reviews due to local dimming configuration. Seems that the quality control for all edge-lit LCD panels is terrible. I've read that for the most part the QC on the Sonys is very good.

Advice?

For the most part. The panels tend to be quite good, and I haven't seen too many problems with color banding. You can turn off processing that will make banding appear, but I've not really seen any issues with it.

That said, there is something about the HX929 I'd be aware of. It isn't a design defect, but rather a manufacturing hiccup. A few people have reported DSE and uneven illumination, and I have someone coming out to look at my set for it as well. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the panel itself, but the bonding agent used between the panel and the gorilla glass. Uneven application leads to uneven illumination = green tint + DSE. Those that have it vary. And keep in mind my panel is not typical for the line. I went to stores to see how bad mine really was, and while I saw 1 that had it, it was still better than mine. They even had an open-box HX929 I'd swap out for on the spot had I not bought mine from another store.

I've got a guy coming out to examine mine in a few days, and had no problem setting it up (although the dealer will not get my business again for making me go to the manufacturer 7 days after purchase). Would I have bought it again? Yeah. I just would have gone local with a place with a better exchange/return policy than I did.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page