New LED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bemosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to purchase a TV! I am definitely interested in 3D as well as fantastic picture quality. I have two little ones at home and I was informed that active 3D is very bad for the little ones. I am not willing to go crappy pq just to get a passive 3D system. My budget is 2000 could be stretched to about 2700! I have been seriously Debating between the Sharp LC60LE835U, Samsung UN55D7000, and LG 55LW5300? I was also told by one of the HH Gregg salesman informed me that there isn't a noticeable difference between 120hz and 240hz. Help would be greatly appreciated!
bemosley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Member
 
UKAlum07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're considering the UN55D7000, you also may want to look at the UN55D8000. I've researched both and in my opinion, the D8000 is the better of the two. I bought one a few days ago off Newegg (new) for $1808 so you can definitely find it in your price range.
UKAlum07 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemosley View Post

I am looking to purchase a TV! I am definitely interested in 3D as well as fantastic picture quality. I have two little ones at home and I was informed that active 3D is very bad for the little ones. I am not willing to go crappy pq just to get a passive 3D system. My budget is 2000 could be stretched to about 2700! I have been seriously Debating between the Sharp LC60LE835U, Samsung UN55D7000, and LG 55LW5300? I was also told by one of the HH Gregg salesman informed me that there isn't a noticeable difference between 120hz and 240hz. Help would be greatly appreciated!

What is the lighting in the room like?

What is the seating arrangement, people mainly sit in the middle or sparse?
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bemosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

What is the lighting in the room like?

What is the seating arrangement, people mainly sit in the middle or sparse?

The room has a bay window setup that is actually going to be behind the TV and stand. There is blinds on them, probably going to install some curtains as well. So it can bring in quite a bit of lighting during the day! The seating will be setup up for dead on viewing (middle). I want to purchase one with a decent viewing angle due to the fact that the room that the TV is going in will probably change some months from now.
bemosley is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bemosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKAlum07 View Post

If you're considering the UN55D7000, you also may want to look at the UN55D8000. I've researched both and in my opinion, the D8000 is the better of the two. I bought one a few days ago off Newegg (new) for $1808 so you can definitely find it in your price range.

Yea they are on sale at HH Gregg For $2,399.99 with the 3D blu-ray player, and glasses! I will more than likely spend the extra 600 dollars there so I can purchase an extended warranty with it! Do you know what the differences are between the 7000 and 8000? Those may be the deciding factors for me? I know this may sound like a crazy question, is there a night and day difference between 120hz and 240hz? Clearly it was when doubling from the 60hz. I would imagine the same however I have not witnessed it.
bemosley is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Member
 
UKAlum07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemosley View Post

Yea they are on sale at HH Gregg For $2,399.99 with the 3D blu-ray player, and glasses! I will more than likely spend the extra 600 dollars there so I can purchase an extended warranty with it! Do you know what the differences are between the 7000 and 8000? Those may be the deciding factors for me? I know this may sound like a crazy question, is there a night and day difference between 120hz and 240hz? Clearly it was when doubling from the 60hz. I would imagine the same however I have not witnessed it.

Don't really know how large the difference is between 120hz and 240hz. I've heard it's subtle, if any at all.

Differences between 7000 and 8000:

1) 7000 has clear bezel - 8000 has chrome bezel with a glowing samsun logo (you can turn off glow feature). Also think the 8000's bezel is a tad smaller but not much.

2) 7000 has a 15,000,000:1 contrast ration - 8000 has a 25,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

3) 8000 has micro dimming plus which apparently helps alleviate the flashlighting/clouding problems persistent in the 7000

4) Clear motion rate is slightly higher on the 8000 (960 vs 720 on the 7000)

5) 8000 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses in the box....7000 does not.

I believe that's most of the major differences. Also, I'd shy away from HHGregg or any of the other B&M stores. You can find a much better deal online. And don't spend more then $200 on a 4 yr extended warranty. You purchase one of those from DTV Express/SquareTrade, etc. for around $180.
UKAlum07 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bemosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKAlum07 View Post

Don't really know how large the difference is between 120hz and 240hz. I've heard it's subtle, if any at all.

Differences between 7000 and 8000:

1) 7000 has clear bezel - 8000 has chrome bezel with a glowing samsun logo (you can turn off glow feature). Also think the 8000's bezel is a tad smaller but not much.

2) 7000 has a 15,000,000:1 contrast ration - 8000 has a 25,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

3) 8000 has micro dimming plus which apparently helps alleviate the flashlighting/clouding problems persistent in the 7000

4) Clear motion rate is slightly higher on the 8000 (960 vs 720 on the 7000)

5) 8000 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses in the box....7000 does not.

I believe that's most of the major differences. Also, I'd shy away from HHGregg or any of the other B&M stores. You can find a much better deal online. And don't spend more then $200 on a 4 yr extended warranty. You purchase one of those from DTV Express/SquareTrade, etc. for around $180.

I have to be honest. That does sound like one heck of a difference with the contrast. Not really sure how much of a diff the clear motion rate is going to be. The TV is going to be for the children! The room that it is going in is going to be the nursery. I will be watching it a good bit since I have a newborn. Not sure if that is going to be its permanent home. You definitely think I should go Samsung over sharp whether it is the 7000 or 8000?
bemosley is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Member
 
UKAlum07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemosley View Post

I have to be honest. That does sound like one heck of a difference with the contrast. Not really sure how much of a diff the clear motion rate is going to be. The TV is going to be for the children! The room that it is going in is going to be the nursery. I will be watching it a good bit since I have a newborn. Not sure if that is going to be its permanent home. You definitely think I should go Samsung over sharp whether it is the 7000 or 8000?

Call me bias because mine is being delivered Monday, but I would opt for the Samsung vs Sharp.
UKAlum07 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bemosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I definitely think the LG has the best 3D however, im not sure that I will be watching 3D that much! Any other opinions out there?
bemosley is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemosley View Post

I have to be honest. That does sound like one heck of a difference with the contrast. Not really sure how much of a diff the clear motion rate is going to be. The TV is going to be for the children! The room that it is going in is going to be the nursery. I will be watching it a good bit since I have a newborn. Not sure if that is going to be its permanent home. You definitely think I should go Samsung over sharp whether it is the 7000 or 8000?

The contrast is pure marketing gimmick, no lcd or led backlit lcd has passed 6000-1 native contrast.

The dynamic contrast figure's manufacturers put are not comparable to any other brand and are pretty meaningless.
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr; View Post

The contrast is pure marketing gimmick, no lcd or led backlit lcd has passed 6000-1 native contrast.

The dynamic contrast figure's manufacturers put are not comparable to any other brand and are pretty meaningless.

The Local Dimming led LCd Sharp Elite Pro has a (ANSI) contrast ratio of 15.194:1 and a (MLL) black level of .0004

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...hdtv-shootout/
8mile13 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bemosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just came back from a store. I tweaked both TV's settings as well as looking at a couple of different blu-rays. I think the samsung hands down is a better TV. I also looked at both the 240hz 55 inch and the 120hz 55 inch. I could not tell a difference besides the remotes. I also didn't have a gaming console to hook-up to them to see if I would experience any lag. The only games that I play is 2k and Madden. I also like to watch sports and action movies, but i am not sure if I would experience lag with any of those either. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
bemosley is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
NolesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What was the final result?.
NolesFan is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The Local Dimming led LCd Sharp Elite Pro has a (ANSI) contrast ratio of 15.194:1 and a (MLL) black level of .0004

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...hdtv-shootout/

i almost threw this up as well,but he got ya. he didn't say local dimming sets.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemosley View Post

I am not willing to go crappy pq just to get a passive 3D system.

Are you serious?? Where are you getting your mis-information? In my opinion and many experts, Passive simply blows away Active!!

Passive is sharper, brighter, no ghosting like Active, can be watched from a wider viewing angle, glasses are cheaper or free from the movie theater, no expensive battery operated glasses that add weight and are uncomfortable.

I can go on, but I think you get what I'm saying. I have a Toshiba Passive 3D HDTV and I'm just blown away by the quality of the 3D. And yes, I've compared them both.

I would take Passive any day. And yes quality is important to me also and that's why I chose Passive over Active. And I can afford to get the best Active 3d TV there is but would never settle for anything less. Passive is the way to go.
buonforte is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
the samsungs have terrible uniformity, clouding, flashlighting, dont go watching them in a dark room... but they look pretty turned off... for the quality of the PQ they have, they are way overpriced... just facts and my opinion. i would get a 70" sharp for the budget you have.
mark62 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off