Our LG lw5300 and noticeable problems....need some wisdom - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Our LG lw5300 and noticeable problems....need some wisdom
bgaviator's Avatar bgaviator 06:48 PM 01-28-2012
We have had our LG LW5300 47 inch now since just before Christmas, and I want to love this set, I really do. I am not really what I would call a die hard videophile....but once I notice problems I seem to latch on to them and focus on them. I have not spent any time with a plasma TV except for what I see in the Best Buy show rooms, but I need to know if the problem I am experiencing are due to my TV itself....improper settings, or possibly signal compression from the cable company.
First off, let me say that I can't stand the TrueMotion feature on the LG....it truly does make everything look to camcorder/soap opera like in my opinion. Some of my family members don't seem to notice or care, but it is really distracting to me....so we leave it off all of the time now.
With that being said, I have noticed some consistent things with this TV in certain scenarios.
1. Whenever watching a TV show like "Inside Edition", if they are showing a celebrity on the red carpet getting their picture taken, the light flashes are noticeably grainy/pixelated on the screen. I have noticed this with other scenes in TV shows or movies where there is fast flashing lights.
2. We were watching the season finale of Chuck last night on NBC, and tonight we were watching the movie "Hook." It seemed during any fast fighting sequences that the picture was getting very pixalized.
Now I have not watched any dedicated action Blu Ray movies yet with this set, but are the problems I am experiencing due to possibly signal compression from the cable company, or is it due to flaws in LED/LCD technology???
I really hate to give up on this TV because unlike a lot of other people, I am really in love with 3D, and the 3D capabilities on this set are phenomenal in my opinion. I know plasmas offer the best picture quality overall, but unfortunately they are not making plasmas with passive 3D yet.

Also, can someone tell me what this setting is that I came across on the TV the other night? I forget what setting I was in, but it showed 60 hz that was currently selected, but then it had the option to select 24 hz....what is this all about? Thanks.

pete4's Avatar pete4 07:48 PM 01-28-2012
If what you saw was actual pixelation, then it is due to compression, not enough data rate to transmit all, fast changing pixels, nothing to do with TV, garbage in, garbage out as they say.
I do not recall any 24/60Hz settings on this TV. Are you sure it was TV not disc player menu? TV is capable of receiving 60Hz signal or 24Hz when playing 24fps movies from blue ray, but that capability is set by cinema on or off and TV will display either 48Hz or 120Hz depending if true motion is set.
Steve S's Avatar Steve S 09:47 AM 01-29-2012
The pixelating problem is definitely due to overcompressed signal, not a fault of the tv. Shouldn't happen on Blu Ray as BD can run up to 40mps while the average broadcast HD is maybe 14 at best.
bgaviator's Avatar bgaviator 06:08 PM 01-29-2012
well that certainly makes me feel a little better about the TV then that it seems to be more of a signal issue from the cable company. NBC especially lately seems to be really bad with the compression. I will need to get myself a Blu Ray disc with some fast action to really determine if there is a problem. Maybe I can just rent something off of Itunes or something.

The 24hz thing I saw may have in fact been while I was watching a Blu Ray of The Lion King, I can't be sure though. I will have to look for the option again. So there is a setting on the TV that automatically switches this on/off? Unfortunately LG's manual seems to be very lacking in describing what the different functions do on the TV.
pete4's Avatar pete4 09:22 PM 01-29-2012
As I said I've 24/60Hz option on the Blue ray player, I've not seen such option on TV. Real cinema on TV essentially switches between 48Hz and 60Hz/120Hz refresh rate displayed on LCD.
48Hz gets rid of judder from 3:2 pull up on 24FPS film and 120Hz with true motion adds frame interpolation.
Come to think of it 24/60Hz switch on TV doesn't make sense at all: no TV as far as I know outputs 24Hz and input frequency is not set by TV but determined by playing device be it DVR or Blue Ray player and BR can switch output frequency, so it had to be BR menu.
RajKiran's Avatar RajKiran 03:04 PM 02-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

As I said I've 24/60Hz option on the Blue ray player, I've not seen such option on TV. Real cinema on TV essentially switches between 48Hz and 60Hz/120Hz refresh rate displayed on LCD.
48Hz gets rid of judder from 3:2 pull up on 24FPS film and 120Hz with true motion adds frame interpolation.
Come to think of it 24/60Hz switch on TV doesn't make sense at all: no TV as far as I know outputs 24Hz and input frequency is not set by TV but determined by playing device be it DVR or Blue Ray player and BR can switch output frequency, so it had to be BR menu.

Hi Pete,
you are right the option i see abotu 60Hz was from the Blu Ray disc menu. I guess that the capacity of the buldled Blu ray disc that came along with TV. Does it mean i can change the BD player which has a capacity of playing 120Hz ? of is it just 60 with all players that this tv can display ?
Up
Mobile  Desktop