Issues with latest (1/12) Vizio firmware update - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 178 Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FINALLY starting to get somewhere- I just got a call from The Warranty Group and they have decided to replace my TV. They will give me the specifics on Monday- they said they would offer me a "comparable model" with similar features, so I don't know if they meant another Vizio or another brand, I'll take either as long as it works as well as this TV did before the problems started.

I will be sending a detailed letter to Vizio about this whole experience as soon as I have a working TV in hand. Given that I bought this TV through their so-called "VIP Program" where I was supposed to give them feedback on how it worked and spread the word about how great it was, they REALLY screwed up both on this problem happening in the first place and their company's handling of it.

For the sake of everyone with this problem, anyone who is either contacting Vizio about it and/or is getting repairs done, PLEASE keep posting your results here! I see a few people have "given up", while I myself would certainly like to do that I couldn't afford to just eat the cost of this TV and buy another one, and certainly wasn't going to just sit there and live with the problem indefinitely. Luckily I was saved by the warranty, but it seems those who didn't get the warranty are still being screwed on this. While one rep at Vizio has told me that this problem "couldn't possibly" have been caused by a firmware update, I have to remain suspicious because they have said so many other things that just demonstrated a lack of knowledge of how video equipment works, and also because other complaints about the frame rate were posted AFTER the last firmware update and none before that. (Again, this is the sort of thing I notice a mile away, so if it had been doing this before the update I definitely would have noticed.)

Hope those who are still having this problem will continue to post (I am still going to be watching to see if it gets taken care of, even if I end up with a different brand of TV myself), I will have my letter to Vizio posted almost everywhere once it's been written.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 178 Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In your leter I suggest that along with a link to this thread,and maybe even copies of the posts,hat you point out that thishread has been opened almost 7,000 times and that Vizio has certainly lost a previoiusly good image that they had with many of their users including myself included.
post #93 of 178 Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Liked: 11
I do have a repair appointment set up as I'm still under the one year warranty, but I too am wary of this as I believe it is a firmware problem as well. We'll see what happens.
post #94 of 178 Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

When I send the printed letter via traditional snail-mail I will include a printed copy of this thread, with all responses up until the time I print it.
post #95 of 178 Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Liked: 10
Well, It's not that I gave up, it's just that Vizio had made it obvious that they won't own up to their own mistake and could care less about my satisfaction. My TV is out of warranty and the only thing that Vizio could do is give me the phone number of the companies they use for warranty service. I had problems with this set when I first bought it and was amazed at Vizio's customer service. Over the span of two weeks, I had a tech come to my apartment to attempt a repair and failing that, a new set was sent to my apartment.

This on the other hand, is absolutely absurd. I know that nothing in my control will ever fix this problem short of spending $200 on a new board. I feel sorry for anyone that buys a Vizio. Lesson learned, I suppose. All I can do is hope for a new firmware.
post #96 of 178 Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I am having the same rebooting issue as well.
Once it gets it out of our system it works perfectly after that.

It is definitely annoying for sure, but after that....

The irony is that it worked flawlessly for over a year, after a couple of firmware updates, it started the rebooting fun.

post #97 of 178 Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM

Hey all, just chiming in to confirm that I am experiencing these problems as well.

I had ordered a VF472XVT from the VIP Program back in 2009-2010 (either one of those years...can't remember anymore), but ever since receiving the forced firmware update, I have been experiencing the framerate stutter/drop that others here have reported. It is as others have mentioned - it only appears to happen with film content, and does not appear when viewing live events on TV (sports, concerts, or soap operas/talk shows).

Needless to say, it is rather irritating when this framerate drop occurs, as it is random when it happens (usually during a scene transition or when too much movement is happening on screen), and while it can be resolved by simply pausing/unpausing, it's still something that I could certainly do without.

All things considered, I am glad to have stumbled on this thread, as I was seriously worried, thinking that my TV's processor was dying out. Still though, VIZIO needs to man up to this obvious and blatant problem, and address this through a new firmware update that fixes this issue.

Since I have a few DVR recordings to catch up on, I'll see if I can capture a quick video of this framerate drop in action, although I'm not sure how well this problem will appear in a compressed video. We'll see!

ShinBojack - The Host With The Most
XBL Gamertag: ShinBojack
post #98 of 178 Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's not going to show up on a video posted on the internet, though I may end up shooting one before this TV leaves just to point it out (planning on making a "Viz-You-Later!" video and posting it, showing what I liked and didn't like about this TV. One thing I'll miss is the various picture setting pre-sets and the pre-sets for overscan settings as well- doesn't look like any other brand will have that). I've found there are some movies (like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on HD-DVD, but NOT on other formats) which will trigger the frame stuttering in the same place, while others will do it almost randomly, and yes I have watched some movies all the way through where the stuttering didn't happen at all.

Vizio's VIP program sure was pathetic wasn't it? Silly me thought I'd get to have some reasonable line of communication with the people who actually design/program these TVs, and that they'd listen to my feedback. I wrote several pages of my thoughts for their last survey, but who knows if anyone read it? I sure wasn't treated like a "VIP" trying to get this problem fixed either!

Still waiting to see exactly what's going to be done by the warranty service- on Friday they said they would call on Monday with the details, but it's now Tuesday and haven't heard from anyone. Will call late Wed afternoon if I don't hear from anyone by then.
post #99 of 178 Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Called the warranty group today- the guy helping me with this was very nice unlike the other people at that company I've had to deal with, and here's my new dilemma: I have a choice of a 'refurbished' XVT3D5545V, which is essentially this same model with passive 3D, which was what I was hoping Vizio would replace it with, OR I can get about $1200 cash which is almost $1000 less than what I originally paid for the TV, in which case I would probably get Sharp's new 60-inch 3D LCD. That one uses active 3D which I can say DOES look better than passive when comparing the two side-by-side, but the screen is edge-lit and likely doesn't have all the same picture adjustments the Vizio has, such as the variable size and width adjustments which I've used to customize the 'overscan'- I watch regular stuff with zero overscan, but when using my computer on it, there's a black border around the edges of the screen so I have the 'Zoom' setting set to crop the black borders but none of the picture. I have a similar setting for 4x3 letterbox transfers which normally display the picture as a box in the middle of the screen. These adjustments are also helpful for stuff like YouTube and other on-line videos that are improperly stretched or squeezed- I can adjust them to their correct proportions on this TV.

My reservations about taking the Vizio is that I've read the 554 model has had the same problem, and I'd have to deal with Vizio's customer service people again to get that fixed. My reservations on taking the cash is that I'd have to spend a few hundred more dollars for the TV I want, and I may end up picking something else that has problems as well. I know I can't get something "perfect" for the $2000 range, but I at least want it to work the way it's supposed to. Whichever I pick, I'll have to get a 3D compatible Blu-Ray player, but that's a rather happy inconvenience.

Going to Fry's right now to check out the Sharp for myself, but anyone with an opinion on what I should choose feel free to respond! I likely will be calling back with my choice 24 hours from now!
post #100 of 178 Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'd get the 70-inch Sharp, but it's out of my price range right now. I'm in a bit of a bind because I'm going to school full-time and not working, so I can't spend a lot of money on this kind of stuff right now but can probably pony up for the 60-incher. After I graduate and get a "real" job, I plan on buying the biggest TV available. How are the black levels on the Sharp, seeing as it's edge-lit? I'm going out right now to check the store displays, but that's really not an optimal way to tell. Do you have any PAL equipment hooked up to it? I've read that Sharp will display PAL as can the Vizios- I've verified that Samsungs cannot which is why I won't consider them.
post #101 of 178 Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Called vizio. They had me clear the storage. Still have the stuttering issue but only on film based material. Will call them back this weekend to see what the next steps are...

Evan Colfer

Retro Area Theater
post #102 of 178 Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I can't believe that whoever is in charge at Vizio is STILL not admitting that this is a problem! I'm glad I got the warranty, but those who didn't should take Vizio to small claims court over this. Even if it's not really firmware-related, they should be doing SOMETHING to fix this other than having their unknowledgeable customer service reps keep grasping at straws.
post #103 of 178 Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezecoli2001 View Post

Called vizio. They had me clear the storage. Still have the stuttering issue but only on film based material. Will call them back this weekend to see what the next steps are...

What is the source and resolution of the film based material that is stuttering?
Does the audio also stutter at the same time?
post #104 of 178 Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

How do you "clear the storage" on a TV?

Also, were you previously having stuttering on video-based content as well? Because "stuttering on film-based material" has always been the scope of the issue (aside from random reboots - have you had those?).

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #105 of 178 Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

There's an option called "Clean Storage" that you can get to with one of the service codes- don't have it in front of me right now, but it's supposed to set everything back to default. It clears all the picture settings, channel memory and internet apps, but the firmware version stays at the latest one installed, not what the TV had shipped with. I did this a few times, each time then having to re-register all the VOD apps which was annoying.

I haven't seen the frame-rate problem happen with video material, only film.
post #106 of 178 Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM

For me, clean storage helped a little bit in terms of frequency. This leads me to believe that it has something to do with a poorly programmed app that runs in the background and uses the resources that should be dedicated to video processing. I assume that it's the YouTube app since this is new and can't be deleted. If we were given the option to delete it, I think all would be well.
post #107 of 178 Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

You can delete the YouTube app, I tried that and it didn't help. Amazon, Vudu and Netflix are the only ones that can't be deleted (they could before the upgrade.)
post #108 of 178 Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Also at this point it seems like the stuttering is caused by something related to "film mode", as it seems to happen based on what's happening in the picture, though turning off film mode has no effect. The other issue is how it's been applying smooth motion to PAL sources, regardless of setting.
post #109 of 178 Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 AM

The techs are here now. They are replacing the mainboard and the video board. I'll let everyone know if this fixes anything. I will not connect to the internet if I can help it to get any new firmware, if after replacement an older firmware version is showing, and see what that does first. If I don't see any video issues without internet, I'll probably just use my bluray player for Netflix as that's the only app I really use.
post #110 of 178 Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If in the US do your testing with NTSC based film sources since PAL film sources are filmed at 25 fps which does not convert to 60fps for use on a US TV it does easily convvert to 50fps for use on a 50 Hz European TV.
Check your Usrer's manual section on Smooth Motion to see what it says(if anything about 24fps vs 25fps film sources.
post #111 of 178 Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM

So far so good. I have an older version of the firmware now after they replaced the mainboard and videoboard, and have not seen the framerate issue as of yet. I've watched a couple episodes of 24 and I had real problems with this show prior with all the fast panning etc.... I also watched a couple recorded shows and a blu-ray movie.

I am certainly not going to connect to the internet and take the chance of having the newer firmware screw things up again. It stinks to not have the full functionality that I paid for, but I can live without the apps. I really only used Netflix anyway and I have that on my blu-ray player. Fingers crossed that this will not crop up again.
post #112 of 178 Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryT0025 View Post

I am certainly not going to connect to the internet and take the chance of having the newer firmware screw things up again.

That's one of the reasons why I chose NOT to have a smart tv. I'd rather use my BD player, the AppleTV2, or my laptop if I want/need that functionality. It's a lot easier and safer to update those than my tv. Besides that, I'm not locked into the tv mfrs apps which gives me a little more flexibility. If I need to update my tv (which I haven't had to do so far) then I'll download the update from the mfrs site and install it via USB after others have done so and posted their results. A well designed tv and update shouldn't have these issues.
post #113 of 178 Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

What is the source and resolution of the film based material that is stuttering?
Does the audio also stutter at the same time?

DirecTV is 1080i. Ps3 is 1080p. Audio does not stutter. Just got off the phone. They are sending someone Friday for repair. We will see what happens

Evan Colfer

Retro Area Theater
post #114 of 178 Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Where is the video board in this TV? Mine was never replaced- I bet the 'techs' who came over didn't even know the whole inside of this TV. If replacing the video board fixes it I may order one and replace it myself, just so I can sell this for a better price and in good conscience.

Others who are still trying to get this fixed, PLEASE keep posting how it turns out! I'm thinking the video board may be the answer at this point. Wonder if connecting to the internet would mess it up again? Still a bit surprised nobody's figured out how to make their own firmware on a USB drive that tweaks this thing just how they want it. I'm not really a hacker but after I get my check from the warranty company I may try tinkering with it.
post #115 of 178 Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM

I don't know where it is. The guy told me he was replacing both, and it appeared he had 2 parts. I didn't watch them install anything, though. I do have the 554 3D model so I don't know if there is a major difference in parts. All I know is I'm back to the older firmware and I still haven't seen any framerate issues with it.
post #116 of 178 Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

That's one of the reasons why I chose NOT to have a smart tv. I'd rather use my BD player, the AppleTV2, or my laptop if I want/need that functionality. It's a lot easier and safer to update those than my tv. Besides that, I'm not locked into the tv mfrs apps which gives me a little more flexibility. If I need to update my tv (which I haven't had to do so far) then I'll download the update from the mfrs site and install it via USB after others have done so and posted their results. A well designed tv and update shouldn't have these issues.

Same here. I use an HTPC for all my connectivity and love it. More importantly the family loves it and WAF is high. So glad I did not go with a smart TV and have to deal with these updates, app restrictions on access, and lack of control. I figured that stuff would be trouble, and so did not want all that functionality tied up inside the TV, relying on a TV company for the software.
post #117 of 178 Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 After all, it's just a television set, not a computer
post #118 of 178 Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Just got a call from the service company and they want me to send them a video before they send someone out to fix it. Anyone else have this happen?

Evan Colfer

Retro Area Theater
post #119 of 178 Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got a call from the service company and they want me to send them a video before they send someone out to fix it. Anyone else have this happen?

Well that just sucks. It goes to show you the quality of the product and the responsiveness of Vizio support. You may want to start considering another tv from someone other than Vizio. Sure hope you get this worked out without too much more stress.
post #120 of 178 Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

I was asked to do that too- I would have if they insisted, but I told them that this problem will not show up on a camera, particularly on any kind of internet video which has a lower frame rate than regular video as it is.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page