Need help choosing a matte screen 3d tv or non-reflective plasma screen?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone.

This is my first post on this forum

I need some help deciding on a tv.

Here are my requirements:

* LCD/LED matte screen or very low/non reflective plasma screen.
* 55 inch to around 65 inch screen size.
* 3D compatible tv
* I can pay up to $3000 but prefer a lot less to spend.

So far i can't find anything that matches my requirements. The reason is i have a lot of natural light in our pergola and its pretty big (12m by 3m). So we need a tv that can handle the light and not reflect it and cause glare.

We currently have a LG 60 inch full HD plasma but it's like looking into a mirror. When the sun comes out you can hardly concentrate on the tv and you start focussing in on the blinds showing on the tv or the kitchen or the fridge lol.

My LG 32 inch LCD tv is awesome. It has a matte screen and you can hardly see anything in there.

So anyone know of a tv that has a matte screen, 3D capable, 55 inch to 65 inch (prefer 60 inches again), $3000 or less??? I can buy another plasma but it has to be a damn good one that can handle the light and not be so reflective.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

But do you know any specific model number of a brand that meets my requirements??

I looked around and saw Samsung and Panasonic make plasmas with a anti-reflective coating. It is ok but still not as good as a matte screen. But i guess its better than my current plasma.

Do you know any LCD/LEDs that could work for me?? Also regardless whether they are less or greater than $3000 i'd rather know then i'd decided whether to pay for it or not.

Thanks.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
LG 55LW5600, Toshiba 55TL515, Sony KDL-60EX720 (also comes in 55") to name a few. There are probably more choices but these come to mind right now. You definitely have options and for way under $3000.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

LG 55LW5600, Toshiba 55TL515, Sony KDL-60EX720 (also comes in 55") to name a few. There are probably more choices but these come to mind right now. You definitely have options and for way under $3000.

Thanks for your reply.

The Sony one seems good. I have a Sony home theatre system and Sony PS3 already and a Sony tv would go great.

I have read researched more and found the Cnet website and lists its recommended matte screen TVs (however i cannot provided links yet as im new).

But they list the following best matte screens:

1. Vizio XVT3SV Series
2. LG LW5600 Series
3. Sharp LC-70LE732U Series
4. Toshiba TL515U Series
5. Sony KDL-EX720 Series
6. Sharp LC-LE830U Series

The LG is listed there. How about the 65 inch LG 65LW6500?? I have read it is matte but having a look at it at a store it was hard to tell if it will reflect at home or not. It looks good at stores but when you buy it ... it looks very different.

Anyone have any other recommendations??
post #5 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1200 View Post

Thanks for your reply.

The Sony one seems good. I have a Sony home theatre system and Sony PS3 already and a Sony tv would go great.

I have read researched more and found the Cnet website and lists its recommended matte screen TVs (however i cannot provided links yet as im new).

But they list the following best matte screens:

1. Vizio XVT3SV Series
2. LG LW5600 Series
3. Sharp LC-70LE732U Series
4. Toshiba TL515U Series
5. Sony KDL-EX720 Series
6. Sharp LC-LE830U Series

The LG is listed there. How about the 65 inch LG 65LW6500?? I have read it is matte but having a look at it at a store it was hard to tell if it will reflect at home or not. It looks good at stores but when you buy it ... it looks very different.

Anyone have any other recommendations??

I would go with the LG, the Sony, or one of the Sharps. If you choose VIZIO, be sure to get an extended warranty because if they fail following the factory warranty period, parts are so hard to find that they may very well become an expensive doorstop. Many people on this forum also consider the Toshiba to be a lower first tier or higher second tier brand, so I would hesitate to recommend something I wouldn't buy myself.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the lg 55lw5600 and it was awesome even in rooms with alot of windows. The only problem I had with it was there was too much input lag for video gaming so I returned it. If the lag was less, I would have kept it. I purchased a Samsung plasma pn65d7000 which has a non reflective coating on it. It works somewhat, but still has much more glare than the LG did.

If gaming isn't an issue (the LG has at least 70ms of lag), then the LG is an amazing tv for the money.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for help everyone.

So basically it would be down to the Sony EX720 (prefer 60 inch), Sharp LC-60LE835U or one of the LG models.

There really isn't much choices out there for TV's with matte screens since many plasmas have glass while some plasmas have anti-glare but still there is some glare. Also LCD's/LED's are mostly now made with a glossy screen.

The Sony EX720 has received mixed reviews on this forum and from expert opinions. I could buy it and risk it being a horrible purchase or buy the Sharp LC-60LE835U.

Apparently, from what i have read the LG 65lw6500 is a mixture of matte and gloss and the LG LW5600 seems to be a good purchase for a 55" matte screen.

The Sony EX-720 would be great with my sony home theatre and sony PS3.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

So basically it would be down to the Sony EX720 (prefer 60 inch), Sharp LC-60LE835U or one of the LG models.

There really isn't much choices out there for TV's with matte screens since many plasmas have glass while some plasmas have anti-glare but still there is some glare. Also LCD's/LED's are mostly now made with a glossy screen.

The Sony EX720 has received mixed reviews on this forum and from expert opinions. I could buy it and risk it being a horrible purchase or buy the Sharp LC-60LE835U.

Apparently, from what i have read the LG 65lw6500 is a mixture of matte and gloss and the LG LW5600 seems to be a good purchase for a 55" matte screen.

The Sony EX-720 would be great with my sony home theatre and sony PS3.

The Sharp LC-60LE835U has a glossy screen. If you want the matte screen you need to go with the LC-60LE830U but that model doesn't do 3D.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

PS3.

I have had, and a friend still has a rear projection TV. His TV location is in a room which has kitchen windows behind him and glass doors off to one side. A very bright viewing environment and he absolutely has to have a matte screen.

My experience was that the rear projection TVs do have the best matte screen and come in very large sizes but can't be wall mounted.

When I swing by all the displays in various stores, it seems that almost all LCD's are very reflective.

Good luck with your quest......

Brian...reporting from the left coast...
post #10 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

The Sharp LC-60LE835U has a glossy screen. If you want the matte screen you need to go with the LC-60LE830U but that model doesn't do 3D.

Oh that's not good.. i really liked the Sharp. I will go and see it in the store one day though.

I guess i will search in the Sony EX720 thread and see everyone's opinions on the Sony. There really isn't much choices for matte screen LCDs now.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandude View Post

I have had, and a friend still has a rear projection TV. His TV location is in a room which has kitchen windows behind him and glass doors off to one side. A very bright viewing environment and he absolutely has to have a matte screen.

My experience was that the rear projection TVs do have the best matte screen and come in very large sizes but can't be wall mounted.

When I swing by all the displays in various stores, it seems that almost all LCD's are very reflective.

Good luck with your quest......

I also had a rear projection tv before i bought a plasma. It was a 55 inch Samsung one. It lasted for 7 years then it died. But apart from the 4 times we repaired this tv .. it was great. It had no glare/reflection issues as well.

Yer i understand it will be very hard to find a non-reflective/matte LCD screen nowadays. Most manufacturers are making glossy screens now and Plasmas are made mostly from glass with the few anti-glare reflectors on some models.

I guess if i keep looking i'll find a full matte screen LCD/LED 3d tv before they are long gone
post #12 of 16 Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM

I am also in the same boat as John, the Thread Starter.

Whenever I go into BestBuy or similar store and see the TV's on display, the first thing I notice on 90% of the TV's is the reflection of the ceiling flourescent lights in the showroom! Why do people accept this? When I stand in front of a glossy TV, when the picture goes dark, all I see is myself!!

We have a lot of windows and light sources in our living room so a matte/non-reflective screen is a must!

My budget is the same as John's (up to $3000) and have researched the Sharp, LG and Sony suggestions.

The Sharp LE830 has blotchy cloudy patches during dark scenes and the LG seems to have a fluctuating brightness issue.

Ive heard a lot of great comments about the Sony EX720, but I am more interested in any distracting faults or problems with this screen.

Ive almost decided but am seeking that final confirmation from you experts that the Sony is a good TV with no major distacting anomalies. Thanks
post #13 of 16 Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan_dj View Post

I am also in the same boat as John, the Thread Starter.

Whenever I go into BestBuy or similar store and see the TV's on display, the first thing I notice on 90% of the TV's is the reflection of the ceiling flourescent lights in the showroom! Why do people accept this? When I stand in front of a glossy TV, when the picture goes dark, all I see is myself!!

We have a lot of windows and light sources in our living room so a matte/non-reflective screen is a must!

My budget is the same as John's (up to $3000) and have researched the Sharp, LG and Sony suggestions.

The Sharp LE830 has blotchy cloudy patches during dark scenes and the LG seems to have a fluctuating brightness issue.

Ive heard a lot of great comments about the Sony EX720, but I am more interested in any distracting faults or problems with this screen.

Ive almost decided but am seeking that final confirmation from you experts that the Sony is a good TV with no major distacting anomalies. Thanks

When I started my upgrade venture, I was also looking for matte screens, but quickly found they didn't make them anymore. You will only find them in the lower end models. I don't think this is a customer demand per se, but possibly the industry trying to match the Plasma's black levels and clarity.

I was about to buy the EX720, b/c of my semi-matte requirement, but I finally just caved and decided to get a better tv, which of course has a shiny screen. I also looked at some of the other semi-matte screens, but I like the EX720 the best. The 5600 has out of control lag, which you can tell just by watching a movie.

One thing to keep in mind is not all glossy screens are the same. Sony's gorilla glass is slightly less reflective than Samsung's glossy displays. The EX720 has a pretty decent 2D picture, but you will get a significant improvement with the NX.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM

So what screen did john1200 end up getting ? I'm in the same boat as him bright room
post #15 of 16 Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM

And why only LCD/LED units? What about plasma tvs with matte/non-reflective screens? We watch from front and side angles in our 15 x 25 all-glass sunroom (even the ceiling), so we need to be able to see from the side and not just the front. Are there LCDs with good side viewing?
post #16 of 16 Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM

I am looking for same. Only true matte screen I could find was 60" Sharp LC60LE845U. Also. Panasonic TC-P55VT50 (Plasma 55") has light absorption technology which disperses light to reduce glare. A shame Sony no longer has any products with matte screen. Still looking but apparently new picture technology not particularly compatible with matte screen. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays