Will 40-42" large enough when seated 7' from the tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will 40-42" large enough when seated 7' from the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
maybe at first but a few weeks down the line you will wish you went bigger
went through this with several friends and relatives who did not heed my warning
post #3 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cut a cardboard the exact size of the TV, hung it where u want it. "Feel" it for a few days. It seems to work even wo an image.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #4 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM

My viewing distance is 10' and I have a 65". The first few days it had that ' in your face ' affect. Now, it's amazing!

I also have a 55" and it looks small now

For 7' I would recommend a 46-47", if not 50!

Trust me, you'll love the larger size, even though you may think differently right now and for the first week!
post #5 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well my main reason for asking is that I currently have a 46" TV in that spot right now and I feel like it's a bit big. My eyes always had to scan the screen, which I didn't care for. I've had it in the same spot for months, so I was definitely used to it size wise and doubt my feelings on it's size would change at this point. It was stolen last week though, so I'm replacing it now and figured that since it seemed a bit big, I would look into the 40-42" models, and also maybe get a nice set for the same $$.

I actually tried the cardboard cutout trick last night and felt like the the 40/42" would work fine, especially the 42". It's just hard to decide without an actual image to see. I guess I'll just have to buy one and see for myself, then return it if it doesn't work out.
post #6 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonicarter View Post

Well my main reason for asking is that I currently have a 46" TV in that spot right now and I feel like it's a bit big. My eyes always had to scan the screen, which I didn't care for. I've had it in the same spot for months, so I was definitely used to it size wise and doubt my feelings on it's size would change at this point. It was stolen last week though, so I'm replacing it now and figured that since it seemed a bit big, I would look into the 40-42" models, and also maybe get a nice set for the same $$.

I actually tried the cardboard cutout trick last night and felt like the the 40/42" would work fine, especially the 42". It's just hard to decide without an actual image to see. I guess I'll just have to buy one and see for myself, then return it if it doesn't work out.

Have you looked at the Samsung UN46D64xx or higher numbered models. Samsung calls it "ONE DESIGN". These have a narrow/small bezel around the frame and the outside dimensions are like a 42" TV but has a 46" panel and less than a inch thick.

We have a small basement family room (sit 8' from TV) and my wife did not want anything bigger than a 42" TV, but she compromised because it does not overwhelm the room.
post #7 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well my main reason for asking is that I currently have a 46" TV in that spot right now and I feel like it's a bit big. My eyes always had to scan the screen, which I didn't care for.

The decision to me is sealed by the above comment. Your own discomfort should trump all guidelines and opinions here.

Why would u expect a new TV to be different, size-wise?

BTW some TV mounts have hole(s) for a lock. Not that this will guarantee against theft but slow down the bastards at least.

post #8 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Absolutely. And you really answered your own question based on your annoyance of the slightly larger screen.

A lot of people like to avoid scanning the screen while watching in. Your preference is less common at AVS, but very very common in the "rest of world".

Good luck.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #9 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Your exactly right, 47" at that distance is to big. My wife sits 8' away in one position from our 47" and she finds it to be to close there. 42" is the ideal TV for that distance.
post #10 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolmetal View Post

your exactly right, 47" at that distance is to big. My wife sits 8' away in one position from our 47" and she finds it to be to close there. 42" is the ideal tv for that distance.

post #11 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Which reminds me once sumbody asked Warren Buffett if he takes outside advice for his investment, and he said he politely has to listen once in a while but that in his preference, one advice is one too many.

post #12 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Here's LGs recommendations for TV size and distance. While obviously this does not apply here, to get passive 3D to work correctly, you need to be 2X the screen size from the TV.

So with a 47" TV, you must be at a minimum distance of 7' 10". My father-in-law made the mistake of putting the TV at a bit over 7' of distance from the viewing area and had crosstalk. He now got it over 8' away and the picture is better. The point is that these TVs aren't even designed to be viewed that close.

I find the best viewing distance for the 47" is between 9' and 11' away. 7' is way to close IMO as I've seen it there first hand. Of course everyone is different but the recommendation from LG is for most people. As you, the wife had the same problem, feeling like she had to look back and forth to see the entire TV when she's at 8' away. She quickly let me know, she did not like that! I told her there's other seats in the house. So now she's about 12' away.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

BTW some TV mounts have hole(s) for a lock. Not that this will guarantee against theft but slow down the bastards at least.

I'd be more worried about my well being than the TV. For that situation, a Springfield Armory 40 caliber will do the job.
post #14 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Not after you get used to it. I have a 42" in the bedroom and I sit about 4-6 ft from it and it still looks too small when watching it. As a piece of furniture in the room, it does look a bit bigger though.
post #15 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

Here's LGs recommendations for TV size and distance. While obviously this does not apply here, to get passive 3D to work correctly, you need to be 2X the screen size from the TV.

I find those recommendations to be too conservative. A better site is the THX one.

"If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way

It might seem that THX is recommending a very large screen size for your room. But, it’s important to note two things: 1) THX screen size recommendations are based on recreating an immersive cinematic experience, and 2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set."
post #16 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went ahead and bought a 42" set today. I think I will be just fine with it. I've got the ability to easily move the tv from a 7' distance to 6' distance if I need to, so I should be set.
post #17 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM

What brand and model? Would love to see a review.

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went ahead and bought a 42" set today. I think I will be just fine with it. I've got the ability to easily move the tv from a 7' distance to 6' distance if I need to, so I should be set.

post #18 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I picked up an LG 42" LK520. Hopefully The accurate color and great price will make up for the weaker black levels. I'll be sure to let you know.
post #19 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I picked up an LG 42" LK520. Hopefully The accurate color and great price will make up for the weaker black levels. I'll be sure to let you know.

did you get the S-IPS panel?
post #20 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

did you get the S-IPS panel?

i don't think she will care about that
post #21 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, he (I) and very concerned with getting an IPS panel. It's coming today, so provided FedEX hasn't managed to destroy it, I'll be checking the serial #/product code and crossing my fingers for the "Y" model. If not, I may just return it to Amazon and bite the higher price/sales tax bullet at Best Buy and get one. That or grab the Samsung D630 or Sony EX720. They are both on sale on Amazon right now for pretty reasonable prices.
post #22 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Fedex shipped my LG face down. Seriously. I even paid for overnight delivery. Good luck.

Yeah, the samsung would be a great choice. It's discounted at both bestbuy and amazon right now, I believe.

Quote:

Oh, he (I) and very concerned with getting an IPS panel. It's coming today, so provided FedEX hasn't managed to destroy it, I'll be checking the serial #/product code and crossing my fingers for the "Y" model. If not, I may just return it to Amazon and bite the higher price/sales tax bullet at Best Buy and get one. That or grab the Samsung D630 or Sony EX720. They are both on sale on Amazon right now for pretty reasonable prices.

post #23 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Fedex shipped my LG face down. Seriously. I even paid for overnight delivery. Good luck.

Yeah, the samsung would be a great choice. It's discounted at both bestbuy and amazon right now, I believe.

Did it end up damaged? They just delivered mine to me here at work, and it looks fine. I won't be able to completely unbox it and test it until I get hiome with it this evening though. On the upside, it's got the AUSY product code, so at least it's an IPS panel.
post #24 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I find those recommendations to be too conservative. A better site is the THX one.

"If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way

It might seem that THX is recommending a very large screen size for your room. But, it's important to note two things: 1) THX screen size recommendations are based on recreating an immersive cinematic experience, and 2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set."

That's NUTS!

That's not even far enough for 3D to work correctly. BTW, THX recommends 3.5' for 35", 4' for 40", 5' for 50", or 6' for 60" or the screen size divided by .84 .

Those screen distances are way to close and THX recommendation is just plain wrong. Not the first time it's been. Their re-equalization on the sound track isn't to make it sound better but to make it like a theater with high frequency roll-off. There's only a few things I like with THX features.

For instance, my work computer display is 26", I sit 3' away. That is alright to read documents and prints but watching a moving object would be down right ridiculous. I would have to turn my head and roll my eyes from their extreme right to their extreme left, just to see the entire screen. NUTS. THX was not thinking straight when they came out with those ridiculous distances for such large screens. For a 26" screen, THX thinks I should even sit CLOSER at 2' 7" !!!

Each to their own, but some reason is needed.
post #25 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Each to their own, but some reason is needed.

Maybe those are the recommended distances for viewing without wearing prescription glasses.
post #26 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
i sit 8' away from my 60", wish i had a 70"...
post #27 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

If the thief can't get the TV off the wall, they will likely smash the TV in anger and leave it there for you.
post #28 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Just keep a dim light on in the room, and the blacks will look fine. I only see problems with blacks when there's little to no light on in the room.
post #29 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
6 feet away from a 5 foot wide TV! LOL!

Sounds good!
post #30 of 45 Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Your exactly right, 47" at that distance is to big. My wife sits 8' away in one position from our 47" and she finds it to be to close there. 42" is the ideal TV for that distance.

I sit anywhere between 5-8 feet from my set. Usually 5 feet when playing video games. 8 feet for TV and movies. I had a 42" for a couple of years just replaced that with a 47. My choice would be a 46 or 47 the 42 is kinda small especially after viewing a larger set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page