Need advise on whether Flashlighting/Clouding on new LED TV is acceptible - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Been reading these forums for sometime now. I have recently purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX720 LED/3D TV for the bedroom and have noticed some flashlighting in the lower corners and some clouding. Please view the pics below and give some insight whether this is acceptible. I know that most LED TV's are going to have some, but the Sony that I just purchased has considerable more amount than my 55" Toshiba LED in the family room. I have also posted this in 'The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread', but felt that I might get some great responses here too. Thanks for any insight.

The below images were taken during start up of Uncharted 3 on PS3.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
aod
Advanced Member

That seems about par for the course on an edge lit tv. I would try to find one with local dimming if that bothers you. It would bug the h@)) outta me. The local dimming would clean that right up usually. At least on my NX720 it did and it's like ink.

post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

That seems about par for the course on an edge lit tv. I would try to find one with local dimming if that bothers you. It would bug the h@)) outta me. The local dimming would clean that right up usually. At least on my NX720 it did and it's like ink.

You tv does not have local dimming, only the XBR does.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Is that taken with a 1 to 2 second exposure in a dark room or a normal photo? On my backlit Sharp 735, if I set exposure to 1 to 2 seconds, clouds appear all over that I dont see with my eyes in normal viewing. I think clouding to some extent is normal, whether edge lit or back lit unless there is local dimming.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

The NX720 has Dynamic Edge Led, so i basic form of local dimming and would in fact really benefit an image like the ones above.

I have the 46HX823 (Uk) and it does have some clouding, however with LED Dynamic Control on Low or Standard it is a non issue.

If you are just being pedantic then ok it is very basic compared to full led backlit local dimming but it does help.

Aaron
post #6 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:

A form of it, yes it does. You can come over and check it out if you want. There is no comparison when it comes to black levels and uniformity with the dynamic led on between the EX720 and the NX720........back to the thread.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OP...your display can go either way, take it back and you may get a better one or you may get one that's worse, exchange it for an NX720 and your chances get better but still no guarantee.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

The NX720 has Dynamic Edge Led, so i basic form of local dimming and would in fact really benefit an image like the ones above.

I have the 46HX823 (Uk) and it does have some clouding, however with LED Dynamic Control on Low or Standard it is a non issue.

If you are just being pedantic then ok it is very basic compared to full led backlit local dimming but it does help.

Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

A form of it, yes it does. You can come over and check it out if you want. There is no comparison when it comes to black levels and uniformity with the dynamic led on between the EX720 and the NX720........back to the thread.

On a 0IRE test pattern, yes it makes a difference but with real world content the effect of "local" dimming while have some effect, is less than that of a panel that is full array.

Chad B also agrees when and noted as such when he reviewed the 929. I'll paraphrase here "This is a full array local dimming set, not a BS marketing LD panel". With letterboxed content, you can still see flashlighting and clouding on an edge lit LED panel with "local dimming" when slightly off axis.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

op...your display can go either way, take it back and you may get a better one or you may get one that's worse, exchange it for an nx720 and your chances get better but still no guarantee.

+1. Much more realistic advice with less false hope.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Aaron

Quote:

On a 0IRE test pattern, yes it makes a difference but with real world content the effect of "local" dimming while have some effect, is less than that of a panel that is full array.

Chad B also agrees when and noted as such when he reviewed the 929. I'll paraphrase here "This is a full array local dimming set, not a BS marketing LD panel". With letterboxed content, you can still see flashlighting and clouding on an edge lit LED panel with "local dimming" when slightly off axis.

Think you need to stop contradicting yourself.

Note the fact i said "it is very basic compared to full led backlit local dimming but it does help."

Even with letterbox bars i find it helps, i know it is top and bottom lit that that might sounds strange. But with LED Dynamic Control off i get some slight corner bleed on letterbox bars, with it on however i get non.

The HX929 is not "perfection" itself.

Aaron
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page