Do Vizio TVs break down more than other brands? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the PQ of the XVTXX3SV series, but I have read of so many of them breaking down that I am afraid off buying one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
According to the latest Consumers Report, Vizio reliability has generally been good. It is not in the top tier but a reasonably safe bet
post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Vizio isn't a manufacturer, they are a marketing company whose products are sourced from many different oems. Because of this one model may be quite reliable while another may be trouble-prone.

If I see a specific model of any product, whether it's a tv or a washing machine, from any brand that seems to have lots of problems I avoid it.

As for CR's reliability ratings I have to wonder what percentage of their Vizio owners are using the sets heavily as main sets vs secondary bedroom sets that don't see much use.

Steve S.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocrosbys View Post

I love the PQ of the XVTXX3SV series, but I have read of so many of them breaking down that I am afraid off buying one.

If you get one, buy it brand new and get an extended warranty, carefully reading what it covers. Listen to Steve S's advice.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Vizio isn't a manufacturer, they are a marketing company whose products are sourced from many different oems. Because of this one model may be quite reliable while another may be trouble-prone.

If I see a specific model of any product, whether it's a tv or a washing machine, from any brand that seems to have lots of problems I avoid it.

As for CR's reliability ratings I have to wonder what percentage of their Vizio owners are using the sets heavily as main sets vs secondary bedroom sets that don't see much use.

Thank you! So what brands are more reliable in terms of TVs?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Liked: 12
samsung is also have their own problems with the Leds...
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

These threads pop up all the time.

Vizio across the board is rated at 3 or 4% problem or failure rate according to CR. Sony and Samsung are in the same range.

As a reference, I own two Vizio sets currently and a Panasonic and have had no problems with any. They are used daily.

I have had the Vizio 553 since August 2010 and absolutely love it.

The other Vizio is one of the original 32" sets and has been trouble free for six years now.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you! So what brands are more reliable in terms of TVs?

It's not so much a problem of reliability. One of my sons and his family purchased a Visio to replace a Panasonic plasma I had gifted them years ago and they love it.

The problem with other than first tier brands is that in order to cut prices to the bare bones, they do as Steve S. mentioned above. In addition, they do not order too many spare parts. As a consequence, if they have had a bad run on a specific part, replacements might not be available.

My daughter-in-law did just what Otto suggested above. Got an extended warranty and if the TV cannot be fixed due to lack of parts, they will be covered...with a brand new TV.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

These threads pop up all the time.

Vizio across the board is rated at 3 or 4% problem or failure rate according to CR. Sony and Samsung are in the same range.

As a reference, I own two Vizio sets currently and a Panasonic and have had no problems with any. They are used daily.

I have had the Vizio 553 since August 2010 and absolutely love it.

The other Vizio is one of the original 32" sets and has been trouble free for six years now.

How long have you had your vizio?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

How long have you had your vizio?

Re-read his post.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 25
I have had 7, 2 of which I still have(VSX3D474SV[TruLED] and VSX323SV[edge lit Razor]) and none of them have yet to have a problem. The oldest is a 26" I sold to a co-worker and her kid still uses it daily for 360 gaming, that dates back to 2007 I believe. The other 4 are in relatives or friends homes and used daily as their main sets, and trust me, if they had a problem, I'd be hearing about it. I feel fortunate though and I may be a rare case. I don't know if anyone can say that in the past 5 years they've had 7 sets from the same manufacturer and no headaches to report. Places of purchase range from Sears.com, Kmart in store(the 1st one was bought there, kmart carried them and were practically giving them away), Samsclub.com and Sams in store.

My 47" is an excellent set, regardless of the name stamped on it. I don't use it for 3D, the 2D picture is outstanding, I'm spoiled by a good IPS panel that's fully back lit with local dimming.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page