You get what you pay for... with some HDTVs, err, no. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As I started to research for a decent 32-37 HDTV which fit my needs, I started to find some LCD HDTVs which according to their specs and some publication reviews, were very good buys.

So, I checked out those units and decided on the LG 37LK450.... but soon found that there are lesser units of that HDTV which are being sold under the same model and name... kinda like buying a purse on Times Square I guess?

I started reading that some manufacturers just substituted lesser LCD panels for the spec'd one sometimes to keep up manufacturing and of course profits.

Threads here on AVS already noted and knew about this problem but didn't seem that it was serious enough to bring to the public's attention???

I will do so for us all......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's nothing new and not a secret to most users in here. Mainly newer ppl may not know that. Rebranded tvs have been around for years. Also just cause a tv uses a part from another manufacturer doesnt make it that manufactures tv. Even if it was/is, it will just as you say, be a lesser model/tv. No point in buying a lesser quality product unless your on a budget and even then the saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Companies switching out panels is also nothing new. Its been going on awhile also. Companies have the right to change any part at any given time. Is it right, no, but it is business. Thats why the panel lottery got so famous a couple years back. Nowadays ppl just accept it. Ppl can complain all they want, the companies will not change. As you said, its what keeps up the profits.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
name brand does not always equal quality.... just got done fixing a 32LC7D LG TV that retailed for 700+ when it was new. What was the problem you ask? cheap Chinese made capacitors used on the power supply board.... Set hardly had any hours on it. Total cost of repair, $23 including shipping for 20 capacitors made in Japan......

very basic internet search reveals that this is a common problem for this TV......

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

While you r right that names brand don't always have the high end or equal quality that they should, for the price you pay over non-brand names. However, most of the time brand names tend to last longer. More so in todays world.
In the end though, its really up to the person buying the product to do research and find out about the product. The manufacturer isnt going to tell you everything cause they dont have to.
Samsung had capacitor issues from like 2006-2008. By 2009 most of those issues were finally fixed with newer models. I actually owned a 2008 model and didnt have the issue. My only issue was that auto motion would never turn off. They did make a firmware update for it but u had to ask Samsung for it, no download for it.

Dont forget though, your average person will NOT try and fix anything. They just dont understand what to do or realize how easy it can be. Most ppl will just move on and buy another tv unless their under some type of warranty.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

Samsung had capacitor issues from like 2006-2008. By 2009 most of those issues were finally fixed with newer models. I actually owned a 2008 model and didnt have the issue.

My friend and coworker. Has 6 month old samsung lcd/led tv. In november the power supply started messing up with the clicking on and off. Told him call in for repair. They replaced the power board and main board. He said could see the capasitors bubble up on the power board.

XBR55HX929/HT-CT550W, LN46A750/HT-WS1R, PS3 60g(now 320g WDblack), Xbox 360 60g, Wii, Gaming PC. Xbox Live:Fordlighting, PSN:Gatorsnack.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page