Samsung is finally owning up to their capacitor problems!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...za+%28Crave%29

Samsung's full statement to CNET follows.
A small percentage of certain models of Samsung televisions have experienced performance issues caused by a component called a capacitor. We are unable to provide specifics on the actual number but can say that it is a small number given the volume of Samsung TVs in the US.
Since originally confirming this issue in early 2010, Samsung has voluntarily provided free repairs for U.S. customers with affected televisions. Customers who believe they have an affected TV should call 1-800-SAMSUNG to speak with a customer service representative.
The Oklahoma settlement reaffirms that Samsung's efforts to voluntarily repair affected products for consumers since early 2010, have been appropriate for the situation. The settlement will be final on February 20, 2012, at which time we will make a nationwide announcement to explain next steps to customers. Once the settlement is approved, a process will also be put into place to compensate consumers who have already paid for a repair.
The models affected by the settlement are 2006-8 TVs, listed below. The asterisks represent the size and series of the TVs.
LCD TVs: LNT******/XAA; LN**A******XZA; LNS4041DX/XAA; LNS4051DX/XAA; LNS4052DX/XAA; LNS5296DX/XAA
Plasma TVs: HPT5034X/XAA; HPT5044X/XAA; HPT5054X/XAA; HPT5064X/XAA; PN42A410C1DXZA; PN42A450P1DXZA; PN50A410C1DXZA; PN50A450P1DXZA; PN50A460S4DXZA
DLP TVs: HLT5087SAX/XAA; HLT5087SX/XAA; HLT5089SAX/XAA; HLT5089SX/XAA; HLT5687SAX/XAA; HLT5687SX/XAA; HLT5689SAX/XAA; HLT5689SX/XAA; HLT6187SAX/XAA; HLT6187SX/XAA; HLT6189SAX/XAA; HLT6189SX/XAA

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...#ixzz1mQMu2uBz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Settlement sounds like some type of class action suit so I would think more along the lines that they were forced to take action and publicly admit to problems, than doing this out of the goodness of their heart. Yes I know, they have been fixing out of warranty TV's for free already in the past, but I bet many people didn't know that (unless they frequent this forum or similar) so probably didn't take advantage of this and I'm sure Samsung already anticipated the outcome of the lawsuit, so they knew they will need to fix those sets sooner or later reimburse for the repairs. Now I wonder what happens if the broken power supply knocked out other components, will they fix that as well?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After reading the settlement I see nothing for anyone who did a self repair. I fixed my friend's LCD based on how to's here and at other sites. Before that my friend went round and round with Samsung about the repair but they wouldn't come through with a free fix, so I did it. The cost was low, but it seems there should be a small compensation for everyone who fought the battle with Samsung and lost, based on their denial of the problem.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
My set was built in Feb 2009, and is NOT part of the covered sets in this action. It IS however most definately having issues associated with the power supply and has the bulging CAPS. I have made the purchase of capacitors
(1000mf, 35V 105C) and once they arrive, will make the repair myself. For less than $5, I KNOW it'll be correct and the set will function for many years to come.

Samsung refused to assist me when I contacted them last week about the issue. I spoke to 4 different departments but no one was concerned - in fact they were less than willing to go beyond anything that the class action suit calls for. This capacitor issue is going to cost them millions in repairs as well as lost repeat business, and I'm sure this is a contributing factor in their lack of desire to help those that are outside the class, but still having issues.

Just thought I'd post in case someone with a "newer" set thinks they are immune - watch out - you are not!
post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

After reading the settlement I see nothing for anyone who did a self repair. I fixed my friend's LCD based on how to's here and at other sites. Before that my friend went round and round with Samsung about the repair but they wouldn't come through with a free fix, so I did it. The cost was low, but it seems there should be a small compensation for everyone who fought the battle with Samsung and lost, based on their denial of the problem.

I also fixed mine with help from this site.. Total cost was 12 bucks and about an hour of my time...The TV repair shop wanted 150 just to look for the problem.. I agree it would be nice to get compensation. Im just not sure what that should be... Maybe they could spend a ton of money here for adds on the site.. Since this place helps so many people like me, I think that would satisfy me... Thanks again to this great site !!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM

I went round and round with Samsung about my TV two years ago (purchased TV in late 2006), and was basically told to go pound sand. They told me my TV was not part of the group with problems. I ended up fixing it myself, thankfully I had experience with that sort of thing.
After the conversations with Samsung, their lack of care, and that I could not send a hand written letter to them (would not provide me with an address or email), I decided to never buy Samsung again. Up until that time I was buying almost exclusive Samsung products.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memster1 View Post

My set was built in Feb 2009, and is NOT part of the covered sets in this action. It IS however most definately having issues associated with the power supply and has the bulging CAPS. I have made the purchase of capacitors
(1000mf, 35V 105C) and once they arrive, will make the repair myself. For less than $5, I KNOW it'll be correct and the set will function for many years to come.

Samsung refused to assist me when I contacted them last week about the issue. I spoke to 4 different departments but no one was concerned - in fact they were less than willing to go beyond anything that the class action suit calls for. This capacitor issue is going to cost them millions in repairs as well as lost repeat business, and I'm sure this is a contributing factor in their lack of desire to help those that are outside the class, but still having issues.

Just thought I'd post in case someone with a "newer" set thinks they are immune - watch out - you are not!

I have the same issue with a 46a650 that has a Jan 2009 build date (the settlement covers up thru Dec 31, 2008). I actually have three Samsung TVs impacted by the capacity problem (two are within the required build dates). Samsung agreed to fix two of the three (not fixing the Jan 2009 TV). The repair man Samsung sent out confirmed that the third set was in fact having the same problems but refused to go any farther unless I paid $250. I talked to Samsung a second time and told them of the repairman's diagnosis, they still refused to warranty the problem. Great support for being a loyal Samsung user.

I called the law firm that ran the class action in OKC, they seemed unwilling to even discuss the case (almost as if the agreed to a gag order). I'm planning on sending a written statement to the court telling them the settlement is not fair for all users that are impacted. I would ask others to do the same. All you guys that fixed your own set should file a written statement also. The court can modify the settlement or they can turn it down if they believe it is not in the best interest of all users of the class. It's a slim shot but maybe Samsung will understand they still have some customers that are impacted. Or maybe a law firm will start another class action since technically we are not within the current class. Please pass this on and post it in other forums you know of where users are discussion this issue. Thx
post #8 of 15 Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Samsung is not the only manufacturer that has problems lol LG and ViewSonic come to mind

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #9 of 15 Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 253
GE appliances also had (have?) a capacitor problem. I've replaced the 'brain' in about a dozen GE fridges in the past year. Some models also have a 'hidden warranty' meaning at least the parts are free. All over bulging power supply caps.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just got a letter in the mail from Samsung yesterday and if I understand this letter correctly they will send someone out to see if I have an issue with my capacitors. Just in the last month or so I've heard the clicking sounds at start up. It seems that the longer the TV has been off the clicking sounds increase, is it because the capacitors have discharged more over night? And a coulpe times strange start up from slow to funny start ups.

Before I call any advice how to proceed with Samsung? And if I should just wait till it goes out. Which won't work because it is my main TV I watch and I'll have to wait for a service tech to come over here.

These are just my opinions.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Call. The longer you let the problem exist, the more chance you have of the power up issue negatively effecting the rest of your tv, which it can do over time.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

Call. The longer you let the problem exist, the more chance you have of the power up issue negatively effecting the rest of your tv, which it can do over time.

Thanks will do!

These are just my opinions.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have LN52A650 that I bought 4/2008 that just started having this same problem (click click). Just got off the phone with Samsung and thankfully they're still owning up to this issue. Mine is covered and I'm awaiting repair sometime this week. I'm also grateful for having AVS Forum, I would be lost without it!
post #14 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM

I have the LN52A650 bought 5/2008, and just this morning it started clicking like crazy. I know for sure it is a cap issue since it continues to click for about 5-10 seconds after I unplug it. I'll be calling today to set something up. Can't wait to see how this goes rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddavis View Post

I have the LN52A650 bought 5/2008, and just this morning it started clicking like crazy. I know for sure it is a cap issue since it continues to click for about 5-10 seconds after I unplug it. I'll be calling today to set something up. Can't wait to see how this goes rolleyes.gif

How'd it go?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page