Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know it's mostly opinion but I can't decide:

Samsung 55D7000
Sony Bravia 55 NX720
LG 55LW5600

can anyone push me to get one over the other???

Thanks so much for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm very pleased with my NX720. But I didn't really view or research the others on your list. A) I'm biased against Samsung after a bad Blu-ray experience (and while I realize this has nothing to do with their displays it left a bad taste in my mouth regarding them) and B) I'm too old to consider LG as anything other than a mid-level brand (which is probably way off base nowadays but like I said...I'm old LOL).
post #3 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh and one other thing....I'm not sure about the LG or Samsung you mention but personally I would try to fine something that offers local dimming. It seems to be very effective on the NX.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM

So much about what is most desirable in a TV is subjective that I don't think anyone can make a decision for you. Then, too, without knowing more about your particular use case and preferences, it would be very hard for anyone to give you a sensible recommendation.

I'd suggest going to a store that has them all and doing as much as you can to evaluate the PQ and features. Also, dive *deep* into the boards here and read as much as you can of the dedicated threads for each of these models. Doing so can provide very valuable information and can give you a feel about the sets' general characteristics, allowing you to determine which might be the best for you.

After doing that, pick the one you think most likely to be your best choice, and if you get it home and find you don't like it, exchange it for the second. Repeat as necessary.

This all said, my suspicion is that any of the models you mention would be good, unless you get a bad panel or something. They are, after all, among the most popular LED sets on sale. Personally, I have the 55LW5600, and am so far very pleased with it.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

I'm too old to consider LG as anything other than a mid-level brand (which is probably way off base nowadays but like I said...I'm old LOL).

I too felt/feel this way about LG, but then I went to BB a few weeks ago and the set looked really good. Even though it sounds stupid, I am sort of turned off by the price being so low.

I am partial to Samsung, as I have a 6 year old LCD now that has been really good to me, and I love the look of the new sets, but have read a ton of bad things about the 2011 LED-LCDs and the flashlighting etc.

I am leaning towards the NX720 because I have always had excellent experiences with Sony, and have read tons of great things on here about this tv....

Thanks again for the input.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM

i have owned a kdl55nx720 since july. and i also own a samsung un55d6050. they are both 2011 models.

i admit i enjoy both sets alot however if you made me choose one set....

Sony.

if you have any questions on either i would be happy to help.

also room lighting should play a role in your decision.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 PM

I've got the log and couldn't be happier. Has a nice wide viewing angle and the passive 3d is great. My kids love the 2d>3d conversion and at the time best buy had it for sale for less than $1300 with 10 sets of glasses. The price went up the following week. I have no complaints and highly recommend it.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpez View Post

also room lighting should play a role in your decision.

Please give some details on this....I am probably going with the sony just on example, but I would like to hear about the room lighting situation with these TVs....

Thanks
post #9 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe he's referring to how most folks would say you'll get more for your money picture quality wise if you have a light controlled room and go plasma. In a room where light can't be as tightly controlled the peak brightness offered by a LED LCD set like the NX720 may be a better option.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 AM

Hands down the nx720 series!

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #11 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 05:11 AM

again my choice for sure is the sony (remember i own both) however if it is going in a really bright room with a lot of windows and you do a lot of your viewing with the lights on go with the samsung.

again both are great.

do apps and internet matter to you?

if so samsung has the edge. not a huge edge but an edge.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 12
When I started my upgrade journey, I was dead set on getting a top of the line Samsung. But after seeing a lot of tvs in person the last couple of months, I finally switch to Sony.

I'm not biased towards one brand in particular, I just want a great tv that I won't have to upgrade for 5+ yrs. My requirements were few, a 55" (now 60"), no or low reflective display, with a awesome 2D picture. Apps and 3D weren't a big concern.

This is my opinion after viewing a lot of sets.
Samsung
Pro:
Awesome PQ, especially the D8000.
Good side viewing.
Exceptional 3D
Super thin Bezel and fresh base design (not to say I actual like it though).

Con:
Glossy screens are quite reflective and reminds me of my old CRT.
Don't like the clear or silver bezels.
Expensive
Unnatural colors (as in very saturated and unlife like)
Extremely bright
Panel Lottery (there seems to be a number of complaints with differences from set to set)

Sony
Pro:
Cheaper (I can get a 60" w/o breaking the bank or feeling guilty)
Consistent production
Less reflection (Gorilla glass) little to no reflection (Ex model)
Natural colors (Actual the most natural of all the brands I looked at-Vizio Samsung, LG. Panasonic wasn't in the running, since they didn't make a 55" and up set in 2011).
Really good PQ.

Con:
PQ is not as good as Samsung
Viewing angels are a bit narrow.
Bezel design seems to be a bit outdated.
3D is a bit behind Samsung and Panny, not sure about the 929 though.

The LG 5600 was pretty close to the EX720, and the PQ was pretty darn good. The reasons why I eliminated it from the running are as follows: Sony's colors were a tad more natural, and the lag/trailing is pretty bad on the 5600 (or at least the one I looked at). I haven't been able to find the 6500 any where locally to check it out. I assume the lag and trailing is not as prevalent with that model. But between the EX720 and LG 5600, which are both 120hz, the LG's lag was definitely noticeable.

On one BB visit, I compared the NX and EX 720 models, and I ended up really liking the EX. The NX wasn't as bright and vivid as the EX. NX also appeared to be under thick glass, like my old CRT. The PQ was pretty similar to me.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

When I started my upgrade journey, I was dead set on getting a top of the line Samsung. But after seeing a lot of tvs in person the last couple of months, I finally switch to Sony.

I'm not biased towards one brand in particular, I just want a great tv that I won't have to upgrade for 5+ yrs. My requirements were few, a 55" (now 60"), no or low reflective display, with a awesome 2D picture. Apps and 3D weren't a big concern.

This is my opinion after viewing a lot of sets.
Samsung
Pro:
Awesome PQ, especially the D8000.
Good side viewing.
Exceptional 3D
Super thin Bezel and fresh base design (not to say I actual like it though).

Con:
Glossy screens are quite reflective and reminds me of my old CRT.
Don't like the clear or silver bezels.
Expensive
Unnatural colors (as in very saturated and unlife like)
Extremely bright
Panel Lottery (there seems to be a number of complaints with differences from set to set)

Sony
Pro:
Cheaper (I can get a 60" w/o breaking the bank or feeling guilty)
Consistent production
Less reflection (Gorilla glass) little to no reflection (Ex model)
Natural colors (Actual the most natural of all the brands I looked at-Vizio Samsung, LG. Panasonic wasn't in the running, since they didn't make a 55" and up set in 2011).
Really good PQ.

Con:
PQ is not as good as Samsung
Viewing angels are a bit narrow.
Bezel design seems to be a bit outdated.
3D is a bit behind Samsung and Panny, not sure about the 929 though.

The LG 5600 was pretty close to the EX720, and the PQ was pretty darn good. The reasons why I eliminated it from the running are as follows: Sony's colors were a tad more natural, and the lag/trailing is pretty bad on the 5600 (or at least the one I looked at). I haven't been able to find the 6500 any where locally to check it out. I assume the lag and trailing is not as prevalent with that model. But between the EX720 and LG 5600, which are both 120hz, the LG's lag was definitely noticeable.

On one BB visit, I compared the NX and EX 720 models, and I ended up really liking the EX. The NX wasn't as bright and vivid as the EX. NX also appeared to be under thick glass, like my old CRT. The PQ was pretty similar to me.

So you own the EX? An you bought the Sony despite better PQ & viewing angle from the Sammy ? I'm not following .

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #14 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

So you own the EX? An you bought the Sony despite better PQ & viewing angle from the Sammy ? I'm not following .

No I'm still waiting for the KDL60EX720 to hit below $1950. I scored a great deal with HHGregg a couple of weeks ago, but the manager was so rude, I couldn't take the deal on principal. In any case, they are extremely shady, giving a co-worker a military discount the week before, but completely refusing me. I also thought they were going to sell me a used tv, marked as new from another location. They showed sold out, but said they had one after calling them. More likely a floor model. They are known to do that to customers.

I do think Sony's PQ is really darn good, but the Samsung D8000 has a bit of an edge, especially compared to the EX720. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, because the models are not equivalent. I think the D6000 and D7000 are about the same as the EX720, with regards to PQ.

All models seem to have really good PQ with a Blu ray movie. There just seems to be a discernible difference with the D8000. The 929 didn't really impress me for the price, but maybe I'm not seeing something others are.

I'm going with the Sony because I'm still very impressed overall, and I know that I would be happy with its features and PQ. What won me was the semi-matte screen and natural colors. The PQ is very good as well, especially with the best conditions (a Good shielded HDMI cable and Blu Ray). I wouldn't be happy with the super glossy, bright, saturated colored of the D8000. Samsung seems to be turning out some semi-mattes for 2012, but I'm not sure if all the models will follow suit.

However, about 80% of my viewing will be from my computer, 10% from over the air HD tv, and 10% from DVD/Blu Ray. I haven't heard too much feedback from customers in regards to SD and computer input viewing.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

INTERESTING , you done your research ...I'm in same boat as you ...

I'm trying to decide between the 55 EX or NX ....also the Sammy 6500 D Plasma....

Any input ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #16 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Plasma vs. LED is very subjective. You got to weigh the pros and cons for yourself, and find out if you can live with the cons of the tv model you ultimately choose.

In regards to the NX & EX, the best way to choose is to check them both out. Overall, there seems to be more happy NX customers, but I haven't been able to see a difference in PQ or speed (as in Lag). The 3D feature may be the factor in all the happy NX customers. One has gorilla glass, the other has a semi-matte display. One is 120hz, and the other 240hz. If you are planning to take advantage of the 3D feature, I would say pick the 240hz tv. Others may also lean more towards the non-matte screens due to better blacks on the shiny screens.

If you have a HHGregg in your area, the 55" EX720 is $1299 - 10% off with signing up with their site. Free pickup if the your store has this model in stock. So about $1166 + tax

I was about to go and pick up the 55" (my store had 2 left), when I decided to change to a 60". And you know the rest of the story about the 60" deal falling through.

Not to throw another variable in this equation but Tiger Direct has the Samsung UN55D6000 on sale right now for $1159.99 (free ship) after entering coupon code: LKK55522

I just tested it, and it works (at least for now).

Link
post #17 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 24
My sister and her husband have a 46EX720 and the PQ is very good. The prices you mention are also very good compared to what she paid for a 46" just some 6 or 7 months ago I think.

The trouble with comparing TVs in stores is that they are usually the TV in a store "Demo" mode from the factory and the settings are in what is often referred to as "torch mode". So. . . . difficult to compare picture quality other than maybe off angle viewing and possibly black level.

But I agree the Sony screen is much better than the Samsung and also, from playing with my sister's TV, the Sony has some picture settings (once out of Demo mode) that are reasonably close to the mark with just some toned down tweaks to back light, brightness, and contrast. That is with Warm 1 color temp IIRC.

At any rate, at least get a Disney WOW disc or Spears & Munsil to optimize what ever you do buy!
post #18 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In regards to the NX & EX, the best way to choose is to check them both out. Overall, there seems to be more happy NX customers, but I haven't been able to see a difference in PQ or speed (as in Lag). The 3D feature may be the factor in all the happy NX customers. One has gorilla glass, the other has a semi-matte display. One is 120hz, and the other 240hz. If you are planning to take advantage of the 3D feature, I would say pick the 240hz tv. Others may also lean more towards the non-matte screens due to better blacks on the shiny screens.

I own a NX and I think the local dimming feature is the reason why there are more satisfied owners (vs the EX). It's implemented very well IMO and for me lessened any concerns I might have had otherwise about clouding etc. Enough so that I don't feel bad for not going for full array.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

I own a NX and I think the local dimming feature is the reason why there are more satisfied owners (vs the EX). It's implemented very well IMO and for me lessened any concerns I might have had otherwise about clouding etc. Enough so that I don't feel bad for not going for full array.

do you love the TV? is the picture a 9 on a 10?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #20 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Plasma vs. LED is very subjective. You got to weigh the pros and cons for yourself, and find out if you can live with the cons of the tv model you ultimately choose.

If you have a HHGregg in your area, the 55" EX720 is $1299 - 10% off with signing up with their site. Free pickup if the your store has this model in stock. So about $1166 + tax

I was about to go and pick up the 55" (my store had 2 left), when I decided to change to a 60". And you know the rest of the story about the 60" deal falling through.

Not to throw another variable in this equation but Tiger Direct has the Samsung UN55D6000 on sale right now for $1159.99 (free ship) after entering coupon code: LKK55522

I just tested it, and it works (at least for now).

Link

I just got my 1st LED recently. Been a Plasma guy for over 5 years. I'm probably never going to buy a Plasma again. I live in Seattle which is cloudy 60-70 percent of the year. I just found out how nice it is to come home turn on programming that shows sun and bright scenery and have it glorious bright. Takes away from the misery known as Seattle. In fact I would like to get rid of both my Plasmas now.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: I got a NX720, and after 5 days, I absolutely love it. not much else to say about it except I am really happy. I have been adjusting the picture settings every day and am honing in on the best possible calibration I can find. Thanks everyone here for your input and help.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page