Is a 55 inch TV to big? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If I sit 8-10 feet away? some people will sit 4 Feet away ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N.W. Pa.
Posts: 1,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 86
no it is not too big after you get it it will shrink and you will want a 70.
mark62 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Newbie
 
Blackened75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
agree about it shrinking.. I sit about the same distance away and I recently upgraded from a 42 to a 47.. The 47 looked huge at first, then as the weeks passed it looked smaller and smaller.. wish I would have gotten a 55.
Blackened75 is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

no it is not too big after you get it it will shrink and you will want a 70.

or a 80"..in which i sit at about 10'

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

no it is not too big after you get it it will shrink and you will want a 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened75 View Post

agree about it shrinking.. I sit about the same distance away and I recently upgraded from a 42 to a 47.. The 47 looked huge at first, then as the weeks passed it looked smaller and smaller.. wish I would have gotten a 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

or a 80"..in which i sit at about 10'

Yes, it really does.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So a 46 too small ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Newbie
 
Blackened75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

So a 46 too small ?

my 47 actually does just fine from that distance, but bigger is always better
Blackened75 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

So a 46 too small ?

55 would be better
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davegow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem with posting a question like this is you always hear from the "never too big" crowd, but others often don't bother. Really the only one who can decide is you, and one way of knowing is go to a store (or someone else's home), see where you feel comfortable, and then calculate the ratio of TV size to viewing distance. Myself I don't like to sit closer than 2-2.2 times the screen diagonal, which means that at 9 feet a 55 inch would be as big as I would want, maybe even too big. But it's your money and your living room.
davegow is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
 
8traxrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's only too big when you have to raise the ceiling to fit it in your living room!
8traxrule is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I like my 60 from about 12 feet. If I feel the need to go bigger I'll go to a movie theater.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bigger is not always better. Larger panels are heavier and yet the thickness of materials is still relatively the same so sometimes large LCD panels can have more screen uniformity issues, such as edge or corner light leakage, etc. Sometimes stress from shipping or just sitting in a warehouse will cause this and later as the TV is used, it will disappear or lessen . . . sometimes not.

Also, remember, a current LCD panel has the same number of pixels regardless of panel size. So pixels are larger on a 55" compared to a 40" - 47" screen. I don't quite understand the reasoning of wanting a Hi Def image. . . and then watch it either on a smart phone (can hardly see detail) or on an huge monster panel when pixels size starts to be visible? Granted. . . two conflicting extremes, but just sayin'. At close viewing the pixels size on a 55" is distracting to me. Much like the 720p plasma panel "screen door" effect.

Not to mention the weight of a 55" or larger. Stuff to think about. But each to his own.
Phase700B is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
swolfcg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm a practical gal, and don't consider myself one that would automatically gravitate towards "Bigger is Better" theory, but think most of the statements here are true. You do get use to the size after a time.

I recently upgraded my bedroom tv from a 20" tube to 37" LED tv. At first it was wow, now it's just really nice and maybe I should have gone one size bigger. But I'm still glad I went with the 37", b/c any bigger wouldn't have looked right in my room.

For my LR upgrade, I first wanted to upgrade from my 32" CRT to a 46", but I quickly squashed that and decided on 55". My viewing length is about 10'. After looking at 55" the last couple of months, that size seemed a tad too small as well. I know a 60" would be a awesome upgrade. I'm about finished on working on my new 60" center, and it would fit it perfectly.

I was worried about the PQ not being as good on the 60", but I haven't been able to discern the difference between the 55 and 60" tv of the same model. Actually, I thought the 60" looked a tad better, possibly b/c they were produced after the initial 55 launch. (Tvs are launched in order of their size mostly.)

However I did notice that the 60 or 65" D8000 looked way worse than the 55" (at least the one I saw).
swolfcg is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Member
 
sloandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

I like my 60 from about 12 feet. If I feel the need to go bigger I'll go to a movie theater.

This.
sloandsteady is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Bigger is not always better. Larger panels are heavier and yet the thickness of materials is still relatively the same so sometimes large LCD panels can have more screen uniformity issues, such as edge or corner light leakage, etc. Sometimes stress from shipping or just sitting in a warehouse will cause this and later as the TV is used, it will disappear or lessen . . . sometimes not.

Also, remember, a current LCD panel has the same number of pixels regardless of panel size. So pixels are larger on a 55" compared to a 40" - 47" screen. I don't quite understand the reasoning of wanting a Hi Def image. . . and then watch it either on a smart phone (can hardly see detail) or on an huge monster panel when pixels size starts to be visible? Granted. . . two conflicting extremes, but just sayin'. At close viewing the pixels size on a 55" is distracting to me. Much like the 720p plasma panel "screen door" effect.

Not to mention the weight of a 55" or larger. Stuff to think about. But each to his own.

Another factor worth considering is what kind of content you typically watch. If you watch plenty of BDs, then sitting closer to a big screen will work quite well. If you watch more HD TV programming, then you'd want to sit a bit farther back to compensate for the lower resolution and compression. If you watch non-HD content like DVDs and especially SD TV programming, you'll want to sit much farther back to avoid seeing an ugly pixelated mess.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^ ^ ^ Those things go without saying.

And with the pixel size of 55" or larger, even with higher resolution Blu-ray material closer is not necessarily better.

Which is why some people also would stay with smaller screens besides viewing distance.
Phase700B is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

^ ^ ^ Those things go without saying.

And with the pixel size of 55" or larger, even with higher resolution Blu-ray material closer is not necessarily better.

Which is why some people also would stay with smaller screens besides viewing distance.

The flipside to this argument is that a larger screen provides a more immersive home theater picture and you can better appreciate the full detail of 1080p resolution without compression found on BD (movies and TV programming). A larger screen at a close viewing distance provides a larger field of view.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...r/hdtv-set-up/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...Optimum_ranges
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
More immersive? Maybe a sore neck from having to turn your head to catch all the action too!

Plus, viewing a TV at 4 or 5 feet is bad on eyes as mom always warned us!

I've read all about "optimum" viewing distances. There are always trade offs. . . and I don't necessarily agree with the methods of determining such things. As the Wiki article discloses, there is quite a range of what is considered ideal. Room attributes and esthetics also warrant consideration.

And, unless watching the TV totally alone, not everyone can fit into the "optimum" viewing position. We prefer watching in a casual and comfortable environment where guests can visit while watching and all can enjoy each others company!

I personally sit about 3/4 of the way back in a movie theater to get both the benefit of full surround sound and no neck/eye strain. Which brings up another issue. Sitting too close may compromise the best in the sound stage for total viewing enjoyment in most home living rooms where TVs are usually located. So other than a dedicated home theater where every detail may be controlled, for most people each to his own.
Phase700B is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Plus, viewing a TV at 4 or 5 feet is bad on eyes as mom always warned us!

myth, no science to back this up, especially on a 1080p set
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

More immersive? Maybe a sore neck from having to turn your head to catch all the action too!



not possible with a 55" at those recommended distances and angles
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I've read all about "optimum" viewing distances. There are always trade offs. . . and I don't necessarily agree with the methods of determining such things. As the Wiki article discloses, there is quite a range of what is considered ideal. Room attributes and esthetics also warrant consideration.

And, unless watching the TV totally alone, not everyone can fit into the "optimum" viewing position. We prefer watching in a casual and comfortable environment where guests can visit while watching and all can enjoy each others company!

funny, this post reminds me of your viewpoint on various topics, including display calibration
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSTlTFLp00

Proper Viewing Distance

A shameless plug, but it does have some good info...
myoda is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSTlTFLp00

Proper Viewing Distance

A shameless plug, but it does have some good info...

Assuming 10 ft for a 80", you get just under 7 ft for a 55"

For the record, I sit a maximum of 6 ft from my 42". Sitting 4-5 ft produces best results, with high quality sources.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We sit about 12 feet away from our 42". Bedroom is a 32", and watch from about the same distance. If you can afford a 55", I say go for it.
gregzoll is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off